Shane Long: Southampton striker hits back at Saints' critics

doddisalegend

He is right. It is not just Saints fans though. Fans of all clubs are fickle and don't have a clue. I sat amongst some Arsenal and Liverpool fans yesterday and the comments were no different to on here. 5th at Christmas is no mean feat and more then most on here would have imagined in the summer. We have had a really good season so far.

He is right. It is not just Saints fans though. Fans of all clubs are fickle and don't have a clue. I sat amongst some Arsenal and Liverpool fans yesterday and the comments were no different to on here. 5th at Christmas is no mean feat and more then most on here would have imagined in the summer. We have had a really good season so far.

He is clearly talking about the media rather than fans on saintsweb.

Well I reckon Shane is exactly the player I expected when he arrived but has played out of position , however you judge him skill wise he's a trier. Why do we tend to judge on price? His overall game has improved.

The team as a unit is certainly a match for last years, pity the referee's also seem to match!!

5th at xmas = superb current form well every team has a blip thats when the team and manager show what they are really made of

I find that a bit hard to believe. Only a complete and utter moron would think we are in danger of relegation.

I expect everyone thought the same at Christmas 1973....

The week before Christmas: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1973-1974/table/1973-12-15

Lawrie Mac takes over from Ted Bates and the final table is:

http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1973-1974/table

The problem with most fans, especially of big clubs is that they are idiots. They don't understand the game and they simply repeat what the media report and pass it off as their own opinion. I'm surrounded by Liverpool fans who never go to games where i work and you can script it every week, have a listen to talk sport over the weekend and they're repeating it the following day as FACT. I generally try to avoid getting into conversations with these idiots.

The week before Christmas: http://www.statto.com/football/stats/england/division-one-old/1973-1974/table/1973-12-15

I remember it well, but it is still absolutely shocking how we did in the second half of the season, 13 points in old money from our last 22 games, 3 wins and 7 draws. 47 points in new money, so even Dalek would have been wrong predicting that 40 points was needed :-)

I remember it well, but it is still absolutely shocking how we did in the second half of the season, 13 points in old money from our last 22 games, 3 wins and 7 draws. 47 points in new money, so even Dalek would have been wrong predicting that 40 points was needed :-)

So do I remember it very well............that is why I don't rate Mcmenemy as a Saint legend despite the 76 cup win.

The disparity between the best and worst teams was much smaller then. As a result, relegation occurred with better records and championships were won with worse records. The world is much different now. I suspect that one team will be relegated this year with fewer points than we already have. It is (I am guessing) more likely that all three relegated teams will end up with fewer than 29 points than it is that we will be relegated. But nothing is impossible.

The disparity between the best and worst teams was much smaller then. As a result, relegation occurred with better records and championships were won with worse records. The world is much different now. I suspect that one team will be relegated this year with fewer points than we already have. It is (I am guessing) more likely that all three relegated teams will end up with fewer than 29 points than it is that we will be relegated. But nothing is impossible.

Highly unlikely that all three teams will get 29 or less. I keep an eye on the points gap between us and the bottom three at all times. In fact, even when we were second I looked at the table from bottom three upwards. I don't miss relegation fights but I am always aware that we are just a few points away from one. This season is no different.

Highly unlikely that all three teams will get 29 or less. I keep an eye on the points gap between us and the bottom three at all times. In fact, even when we were second I looked at the table from bottom three upwards. I don't miss relegation fights but I am always aware that we are just a few points away from one. This season is no different.

In the throes of orgasm do you worry about the mess you're making?

I agree. I just think it is more likely than us being relegated.

That's when the football authorities started conspiring against us, these days we get shoite refs with wonky decisions, we had Malwhinney unable to hide his glee on the TV at slapping us with a 10 point deduction whether we were relegated or not (still we got off light compared to Luton) and then in the beginning we conveniently get the honour of being the first team relegated in the new 3 down 3 up system.................... Mischief says I ;)

In new money (3 pts for a win) we were relegated despite averaging 1.12 points per game. That's equivalent to about 42 or 43 points in the current PL (38 games with 3 pts for a win). We were bloody unlucky to get relegated. We're also in a better 5th place position now than we were then, so as I said, only a drooling moron worries about us being in danger of relegation this season.

In new money (3 pts for a win) we were relegated despite averaging 1.12 points per game. That's equivalent to about 42 or 43 points in the current PL (38 games with 3 pts for a win). We were bloody unlucky to get relegated. We're also in a better 5th place position now than we were then, so as I said, only a drooling moron worries about us being in danger of relegation this season.

Do Daleks drool?