Yoshida

benjii

Disagree. He played okay but he was far from excellent. Caught out for the goal, all Chelsea threat came down our right. It's not his fault and he did okay as I say but he isn't a right back and he was up against quality players, did his best which is all you can ask.

Edited by Turkish

Played well but not a right back. I think in hindsight Koeman would have played Toby on the right and Maya in the middle. Hazard found it much more difficult once Gardos came on for him and Toby switched.

I think we'd all keep things as they were and keep the point??

Thought he was the weak link today although he was playing out of position and I've never seen him look comfortable at full back. Memories of West Ham away a couple of seasons ago when he first played out of position there. However, I thought Tohy was outstanding and had Costa in his pocket all day. Toby was mom for me. What a player and how comfortable he looks in most positions

Disagree. He played okay but he was far from excellent. Caught out for the goal, all Chelsea threat came down our right. It's not his fault and he did okay as I say but he isn't a right back and he was up against quality players, did his best which is all you can ask.

This.....he played as well as he could against world class players....would it have been better to have TA at RB and had Yoshida or Gardos starting at CB? tbh, I'm very happy with a point today...

Was fine playing out of position. Obviously he's not got the game to burst down the line and get crosses in so we were weakened in that respect but he did a decent job.

Presumably he started at RB instead of Alderweireld because Koeman wanted him in the middle to keep Costa quiet. Having spent a couple of years playing up against him in training means he has the advantage of knowing his game and he kept him reasonably quiet throughout.

Excellent again today.

I wasn't enthralled by the prospect of him at right back but he did great.

Good player to have.

I think you were at a different game to me. He really struggled defensively, positionally he was poor, his lack of pace a problem and he offered little in the way of attacking threat.

Edited by Matthew Le God

I think you were at a different game to me. He really struggled defensively, positionally he was poor, his lack of pace a problem and he offered little in the way of attacking threat.

Same game. You just don't really know what you're talking about.

I fear you may be carrying the prejudice of prior opinions. He was solid today against top quality opposition.

thought Yoshi had a good game, as did the back four , imagine playing in an alien position against EH, Koeman has faith in him, shows the true value of Chambers though and that the club does not have a nailed on RB in the ranks.

We restricted their play, how many shots on target ? Yoshi played his part to the best of his abilities thats all we can ask until we get a squad with true depth

Nope, you were definitely at a different game to me and it seems everyone else. Did a terrific job in an unfamiliar position until he succombed to being ****ged out after probably running more in one game than he normally does in 2 or 3. Partly at fault for the goal admittedly, but he actully offered a lot more attacking than I expected and was defensively pretty sound for someone who clearly prefers playing left side (I was not happy when I found out he was playing RB because his previous display there was woeful but today he was very professional and deserves a lot of credit for playing where he was asked).

Let's also take into account that Hazard was unplayable today.

IMO he is just about the best player in the UK currently and despite them dominating possession we managed to marshal him into loads of pointless sideways runs, and restricted him to one shot.

That Chelsea team is going to destroy a few defences, even though there manager is clearly deranged and happy to make up any old ranty stuff if you stick a microphone his way.

Bearing that in mind, anyone who gets a point against them has done a pretty good job, and can't be too shabby.

Good performances all round.

He works very hard, he's a decent player to have as a back up centre back, especially when you think it wasn't so long ago we were dealing with the likes of Jos and Martin.

Actually our centre back compliment of Fonte, Alderweireld, Yoshida and Gardos is probably the strongest it's been in years.

I reckon he did as good a job as a make shift right back as can be expected, given he is a centre back. Was he as good as Clyne? No. Did he put in a good shift against one of the best attacking players in Europe? Yes. Part of a back four that kept Chelsea down to one shot on target. Good performance.

I wonder how Yoshida compares with the back up defensive players of most other Premier League clubs? Pretty well, I am going to say...

Hazard, on his game, would bring the weaknesses out of seasoned right backs - let a lone makeshift ones. What do you expect exactly? He wasn't at right back to offer an attacking threat for goodness sake, why are you even judging Yoshida on his lack of attacking threat? You do half come out with some waffle sometimes.

We will not get a better player than Yoshida for the position he is in the squad.

Hazard, on his game, would bring the weaknesses out of seasoned right backs - let a lone makeshift ones. What do you expect exactly? He wasn't at right back to offer an attacking threat for goodness sake, why are you even judging Yoshida on his lack of attacking threat? You do half come out with some waffle sometimes.

We will not get a better player than Yoshida for the position he is in the squad.

Particularly if he is happy with his spot in the squad.

despite the fact Yoshi didnt listen to me when I kept screaming at him through my tv to "not give Hazard his right foot!!!" when he scored, he had a very good game....

very useful player to have in the squad imo

seriously if you dont think being a Saints fan at the moment is not brilliant, best you go support the team down the road

He was clearly subbed because he was exhausted, knackered, ****ged whatever. He was out on his feet. Not surprising for the shift he put in for a CB

He wanted to come off... and passed Koeman shaking his head. So, either injured, dizzy or more likely telling Koeman not to play him against Hazard ever again.

Did well in an unusual position. I suspect he was subbed because he was on a yellow.

Especially against a piece of work like Hazard, once he was on a yellow Hazard already had him in his sights to get another and get a free reign on our right Ronald saw this and at the same time realised that Maya was playing with one arm tied behind his back.

Also as a natural centre back having a visa in your passport to cross the centre line at will must be a real struggle to get your head around.

He worked hard but all the things I listed in that post I stand by. I recorded and watched the Sky coverage, Souness and Neville also pointed out his problems and they weren't solely down to being up against Hazard. Did you not notice how Chelsea were targeting Yoshida rather than a 19 year old on the other side of the pitch? They saw Yoshida as the weaklink, I don't dismiss his efforts and workrate as he certainly put a shift in but he is a very limited player even when he plays in his normal position of centre back.

He would be okay if we were still a bottom half Premier League team, but he is far too limited technically to play for a team challenging as we are at the top of the league. Work rate simply isn't enough at the level Saints are aspiring to reach. I think Gardos looks more composure and assured on the ball, Yoshida panics with the ball at his feet and his distribution is poor.

Edited by Matthew Le God

Some people just won't agree with anything negative said about any player. If you review 90% of the reviews and reports they would tie in with my summary of the game. Worst player on the field 5/10 but he was playing out of position

Although I would argue in the sky summary that Tadic was worse than a 7. I thought Mane and Toby deserved an 8

http://www1.skysports.com/football/live/match/313573

Edited by Mouldy Coat

He wanted to come off... and passed Koeman shaking his head. So, either injured, dizzy or more likely telling Koeman not to play him against Hazard ever again.

He clearly lost face when Hazard scored, and I'm not sure he'll ever recover. Face is very important to Japanese people. Disgusting how Mourinho & the Chelsea team targetted him second half, I hope the Kick It Out bros do something about it :(

He worked hard but all the things I listed in that post I stand by. I recorded and watched the Sky coverage, Souness and Neville also pointed out his problems and they weren't solely down to being up against Hazard. Did you not notice how Chelsea were targeting Yoshida rather than a 19 year old on the other side of the pitch? They saw Yoshida as the weaklink, I don't dismiss his efforts and workrate as he certainly put a shift in but he is a very limited player even when he plays in his normal position of centre back.

He would be okay if we were still a bottom half Premier League team, but he is far too limited technically to play for a team challenging as we are at the top of the league. Work rate simply isn't enough at the level Saints are aspiring to reach. I think Gardos looks more composure and assured on the ball, Yoshida panics with the ball at his feet and his distribution is poor.

Have to agree with you MLG. Yoshida has a big heart and I love him for it but he's too short and too slow to be an every week Premier League center back.