Pathetic Support

Rasiak-9-

Sat in the Itchen (block 3) today and only heard the Kingsland corner / Northam a couple of times. Whereas I thought the Itchen gave good voice today, but probably couldn't be heard by the Northam/ Kingslan

Why do I mention this? Well I'm advocating that we have the whole Northem end for Saints singers and move the away fans .

Yep, we only heard Itchen a couple of times but it was very loud in the Northam/Kingsland.

To those who think our support is sh*te- here is what some had to say.

Graziano Pellè @GPelle19 ·

Best start of the New Year with a deserved win over Arsenal. Our #SaintsFC fans were amazing as always!

Ronald Koeman

‏@RonaldKoeman

Great start of the New Year with this convincing victory of #saintsfc over @arsenal #3points #fantasticfans

Harrison Reed @HarrisonReed ·

What a start to the New Year!! 3 points and a convincing win. Happy to have got on again today! Fans were superb again. #saintsfc

Fraser Forster @FraserForster ·

Great team performance today! Excellent way to start 2015. Fans were awesome. #saintsfc #BPL

Jan Kluitenberg @jankluit ·

Great start in 2015! Well done boys. @SouthamptonFC fans what a atmosphere in St Mary's today. Thank you all. See you all Sunday?

To those who think our support is sh*te- here is what some had to say.

Graziano Pellè @GPelle19 ·

Best start of the New Year with a deserved win over Arsenal. Our #SaintsFC fans were amazing as always!

Ronald Koeman

‏@RonaldKoeman

Great start of the New Year with this convincing victory of #saintsfc over @arsenal #3points #fantasticfans

Harrison Reed @HarrisonReed ·

What a start to the New Year!! 3 points and a convincing win. Happy to have got on again today! Fans were superb again. #saintsfc

Fraser Forster @FraserForster ·

Great team performance today! Excellent way to start 2015. Fans were awesome. #saintsfc #BPL

Jan Kluitenberg @jankluit ·

Great start in 2015! Well done boys. @SouthamptonFC fans what a atmosphere in St Mary's today. Thank you all. See you all Sunday?

It is nice to see but they're hardly going to say they were a bit quiet at times or the support was **** lol

I thought for spells in particular the first half it was very quite. We could Hear Forster on many occasions shouting instruction from the Itchen stand!

Yup, for some spells it was quiet enough to hear that. But on a damp, cold afternoon when the game was a bit flat, it was to be expected. Soon after everything lifted, the crowd got going and there were more stadium-wide songs than usual today. All started by the Northam as always, but it's great when it goes round the stands.

I am Saints through and through and vocal at games but the atmosphere is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Those saying can't hear itchen from Northam and visa versa the brunt of the truth is we are not very loud. The best days were before they shut the corners of the ground, it's premier league football that brings the tourists the day trippers and the city boys. If you think otherwise than you are sadly deluded. Better atmosphere at the darts these days and why? Because it doesn't price the working class man from going. Football bubble will burst believe me. You go to a sporting event for the atmosphere playing a big part of it. Barry Hearn hit the nail on the head the other day regarding ticket prices. Darts sell out big venues but do they increase ticket prices? No because the working class man generates the atmosphere and once you lose that it no longer becomes the same attraction.

I am Saints through and through and vocal at games but the atmosphere is nowhere near as good as it used to be. Those saying can't hear itchen from Northam and visa versa the brunt of the truth is we are not very loud. The best days were before they shut the corners of the ground, it's premier league football that brings the tourists the day trippers and the city boys. If you think otherwise than you are sadly deluded. Better atmosphere at the darts these days and why? Because it doesn't price the working class man from going. Football bubble will burst believe me. You go to a sporting event for the atmosphere playing a big part of it. Barry Hearn hit the nail on the head the other day regarding ticket prices. Darts sell out big venues but do they increase ticket prices? No because the working class man generates the atmosphere and once you lose that it no longer becomes the same attraction.

That's like being a snob but in reverse.

Absolute nonsense and total guff.

Nonsense. Sitting along the sides you hear it all very nicely thankyouverymuch.

As for the darts, maybe being inside helps the 'atmosphere'. Or, perhaps you just prefer going to the darts and enjoy it more, which is fine.

Ticket prices don't seem to be a problem, given the sell out today. But, if your logic is correct, Sunday will prove it. Being £10 a ticket I'm sure those working class men you enjoy will be there creating atmosphere. Cheaper ticket prices = better atmosphere, right?

Nonsense. Sitting along the sides you hear it all very nicely thankyouverymuch.

As for the darts, maybe being inside helps the 'atmosphere'. Or, perhaps you just prefer going to the darts and enjoy it more, which is fine.

Ticket prices don't seem to be a problem, given the sell out today. But, if your logic is correct, Sunday will prove it. Being £10 a ticket I'm sure those working class men you enjoy will be there creating atmosphere. Cheaper ticket prices = better atmosphere, right?

No I prefer footy than the darts just pointing out a comparison to ticket prices and impact on clientele. A full house at footy doesn't guarantee a good atmosphere if it's not your die hard fans.? By the way I sit in the itchen and have been a season ticket holder for 20 years, but I am a realist. Are you telling me the atmosphere is better now than when we first moved to St Mary's? If that's what you are saying then you are kidding yourself. The dell was a better atmosphere than now and that was only 15k in later years. So what did you think of sheff utd away? I thought their vocal support was decent. Regarding your theory of the Ipswich cup game being a good atmosphere because of ticket pricing. Sadly no it won't from our end because you get more fsmilys going to cup games at £10 a go ipswich have the whole Northam meaning saints vocal support very dispersed

Edited by Mouldy Coat

They should create a singing section, £20 tickets, no seasons no pre-booking, firsy-come first served. People wold get there two hours early, make up some new songs. Make it standing if/when safe standing comes in.

It won't devalue season tickets, 'cos most people will want guaranteed seats etc

Jaded season ticket holders leaving early, arriving late as bad for atmosphere as day trippers.

This would attract passionate, cmitted but hard up fans.

The answer is becoming clear as I read this thread, a better atmosphere is guaranteed by - cheaper tickets for working class, price out the families who also arent allowed to buy tickets for cup games, and the middle class well, they can pay as much as we want them to pay.

The answer is becoming clear as I read this thread, a better atmosphere is guaranteed by - cheaper tickets for working class, price out the families who also arent allowed to buy tickets for cup games, and the middle class well, they can pay as much as we want them to pay.

No the answer lies with capping ticket prices full stop. That's what the do in Germany and that's why places like Dortmund are looked on in envy now like the English clubs were in the 80s (the Kop, Stretford End, Holt end etc). So if ticket prices go up to £70 a ticket do you think this will not have an impact on the clientele and atmosphere?

Fans were excellent yesterday. Apart from Swansea and Palace you won't get much louder than that. Thought it was one of the best atmosphere's since we got promoted in the Northam.

I think what you're really saying is the fans were excellent in the Northam yesterday, the rest of the stadium (Itchen and Kingsland North apart) was it's usual sleepy self. It was OK at times (very quiet when attacking the Chapel End) and a fantastic 'OWTS' went all round once. Even the 'Premier League, E-I-E-I-E-I-O' was gaining momentum in the Kingsland corner at the end. But for a New Year's Day when most are a bit jaded from earlier events it wasn't so bad.

What we need to establish is a 'St Mary's Roar' to wake everyone up. When the players go into the huddle before KO, when the ground falls quiet and at corners, we just need to make more noise and rattle the opposition. It needs to start in the Northam and keep it going, encouraging everyone around SMS to join in and let it flow into a loud COYRs. Once everyone's blown off the cobwebs they'll be more inclined to join in the chants.

No the answer lies with capping ticket prices full stop. That's what the do in Germany and that's why places like Dortmund are looked on in envy now like the English clubs were in the 80s (the Kop, Stretford End, Holt end etc). So if ticket prices go up to £70 a ticket do you think this will not have an impact on the clientele and atmosphere?

They are not at £70 (yet) at Saints. I see what you are trying to say but I dont understand why you believe that a)if cheaper tickets are available the people who go will create a better atmosphere and b) given that it was a full house yesterday, and the atmosphere wasnt up to your requirements, why would reducing the ticket prices mean those people there yesterday are less likely to buy a ticket. I also recall many times in the 80's standing at the Archers Road end in a sparsely populated crowd against teams like Luton. Prices were low then.

In Germany they suffered hugely for a number of years with dwindling attendances and effectively went bust. Then they reduced their prices. At present the Premier league particularly sells well at the prices that are set. My main concern about reduced ticket prices is not for clubs like Southampton but for ones like Eastleigh, Salisbury etc. If you can go and watch Arsenal vs Saints for £15, how much can they charge? They are clubs that rely far more on ticket sales revenue.

I think what you're really saying is the fans were excellent in the Northam yesterday, the rest of the stadium (Itchen and Kingsland North apart) was it's usual sleepy self. It was OK at times (very quiet when attacking the Chapel End) and a fantastic 'OWTS' went all round once. Even the 'Premier League, E-I-E-I-E-I-O' was gaining momentum in the Kingsland corner at the end. But for a New Year's Day when most are a bit jaded from earlier events it wasn't so bad.

What we need to establish is a 'St Mary's Roar' to wake everyone up. When the players go into the huddle before KO, when the ground falls quiet and at corners, we just need to make more noise and rattle the opposition. It needs to start in the Northam and keep it going, encouraging everyone around SMS to join in and let it flow into a loud COYRs. Once everyone's blown off the cobwebs they'll be more inclined to join in the chants.

Actually i sit in the northam and it looked like the whole stadium was joining in for a lot of the second half, especially for Ronald Koemans red army.

From the Kingsland north the Northam has seemed as if it's gone down hill this season , when we first moved to sms I used to envy not sitting there so I moved there *****il we relocated to the Kingsland north when my boy got a st) now I can hardly hear it due to the noise coming from our stand!

"COYR" is the best for going right round the ground, does make a difference and I agree, ideally should be done just before kick off each game.

I normally sit in the Kingsland corner but being in the Itchen corner i enjoyed the banter with the Arsenal fans - they seemed oblivious to the Northam / Kingsland but were paying attention to the Itchen.

Especially good was our retort to the "Callum Chambers, he left because you are sh*t" chant. Well done Itchen, I was impressed!

I normally sit in the Kingsland corner but being in the Itchen corner i enjoyed the banter with the Arsenal fans - they seemed oblivious to the Northam / Kingsland but were paying attention to the Itchen.

Especially good was our retort to the "Callum Chambers, he left because you are sh*t" chant. Well done Itchen, I was impressed!

They walked right into that one! Talk about "those in glass houses" etc. If it wasn't RVP it could have been Samir Nasri, Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera or for extra impact, Cesc Fabregas. RVP really really touches a nerve with them though...

They walked right into that one! Talk about "those in glass houses" etc. If it wasn't RVP it could have been Samir Nasri, Thierry Henry, Patrick Viera or for extra impact, Cesc Fabregas. RVP really really touches a nerve with them though...

It shut them up totally!!!

Been sh*t for a while now, but not a clue what will change it. Away from home we've been awful vocally this year. It's got progressively worse since we've been back up in the Prem. If we can't generate good atmospheres away from home when in Champions League places, playing good football and winning games with academy players in the team/squad then when can we? Especially after the summer just gone, we should have a bit of a siege mentality about us after being written off by everybody.

What was this retort?

Been sh*t for a while now, but not a clue what will change it. Away from home we've been awful vocally this year. It's got progressively worse since we've been back up in the Prem. If we can't generate good atmospheres away from home when in Champions League places, playing good football and winning games with academy players in the team/squad then when can we? Especially after the summer just gone, we should have a bit of a siege mentality about us after being written off by everybody.

Arsenal away is the worst i've heard our support in years, we even had some dicks infront of us taking photos on ipads.

Arsenal away is the worst i've heard our support in years, we even had some dicks infront of us taking photos on ipads.

It's times like that when I want us to score so people go mental and their ipads accidently get knocked on the floor, stamped on and smashed into tiny, tiny pieces. It's nothing less than the cretins deserve.

They are not at £70 (yet) at Saints. I see what you are trying to say but I dont understand why you believe that a)if cheaper tickets are available the people who go will create a better atmosphere and b) given that it was a full house yesterday, and the atmosphere wasnt up to your requirements, why would reducing the ticket prices mean those people there yesterday are less likely to buy a ticket. I also recall many times in the 80's standing at the Archers Road end in a sparsely populated crowd against teams like Luton. Prices were low then.

So do you think the premier league atmospheres have taken a dip at all? So what about Stamford Bridge? Do you think the atmosphere is as good there as it ever has been? Imo it certainly isn't. I am sure ticket pricing and supporter demographics have played a huge part in this. These 2 elements being the two biggest factors (the stadium is full every week by the way)

This is what I mean. The atmosphere was good against arsenal, nervous against Chelsea before that. Stamford bridge had a car park behind it. It wasn't too special then.

I dont think they have taken a dip, they are just different and I'd put this more down to the theatre like feel of sitting down than demographics owing to ticket pricing. Atmosphere is not just about noise, it's about the emotions you feel at the stadium.

I think you're focussing on demographic rather than the rather rapid evolution of the premier league that will inevitably bring about change

Creating an atmosphere is not only about generating as much noise as possible. It is also about making the fans feel they are part of an event and giving them an experience they could not get by watching it on television at home. That is not a common enough phenomenon at premier league grounds as the television coverage is so good, it almost feels like you are there.

The sound inside grounds is very localised. I've had season tickets in quite a few places and there will be a lot of atmosphere in those areas, but you just won't hear it down at the other end.

Acoustics is about geometry, noise travels by line of sight. There are parts where you can't hear what's going on in other parts. This gets emphasised on tv when microphones are placed near away fans - friends have stated how loud the away fans are when watching tv yet I have been in the ground and barely heard a peep.

Improving the atmosphere in an existing stadium is obviously different to building it up from scratch. You could curve and tilt the roof so it retains the noise and reflects it onto the field of play. You'd get long reverberations and people would respond.

I've seen all the games over the Xmas period, and the atmosphere has been fine where I am, home and away. So much so I have not felt the need to ask my fellow saints fans whether they attended university, what they or their parents did for a job, where they lived, what they earnt, or whether they had a fondness of prawn sandwiches. I'll sign off by saying I think that noise levels are influenced by a number of things, and while demographic has changed, many many other things have too to influence atmosphere changes.

So do you think the premier league atmospheres have taken a dip at all? So what about Stamford Bridge? Do you think the atmosphere is as good there as it ever has been? Imo it certainly isn't. I am sure ticket pricing and supporter demographics have played a huge part in this. These 2 elements being the two biggest factors (the stadium is full every week by the way)

What are you complaining about?

According to most of the grandads on here anyone who wants to sing and shout for their club should **** off and join a gospel choir! Haven't you heard? Hoping for a decent atmosphere at a football match is ridiculous!

According to most of the grandads on here anyone who wants to sing and shout for their club should **** off and join a gospel choir! Haven't you heard? Hoping for a decent atmosphere at a football match is ridiculous!

Some of us grandads remember games in the olden days when everybody played in black and white and there were crowds of 56,000 crammed into places like White Hart Lane. The atmosphere hasn't been the same since we went all-seater.

I've heard the 'EI EI EI O' song making a return the last few matches, always thought that made great noise in the promotion seasons so would be good to have that back for good.

EI EI EI O

Up the Premier League we go,

when we get champions league,

this is what we sing,

koeman is our king.

Have read through this thread (give me strength), I have to the indisputable conclusion that you really are a pillock.

Acoustics is about geometry, noise travels by line of sight. There are parts where you can't hear what's going on in other parts. This gets emphasised on tv when microphones are placed near away fans - friends have stated how loud the away fans are when watching tv yet I have been in the ground and barely heard a peep.

Excellent post, Bwanamakubwa. Anything around acoustics is fascinating stuff, and you clearly know what you're talking about.

Which is probably why no one responded ;)