Jordan Rhodes

sadoldgit

+1 I think he'd score goals, but I fear the work of headline writers. All Rhodes lead to St. Marys. Referee mistake leads to cross Rhodes. Mane a winding Rhodes. Saints take the Long Rhodes. It will be v.terrible :(

Saints strike force is now Rhodes-worthy. Rhodes-metal builds to the future. Saints' attack is now Rhodes-tested. Saints ready for its Rhodes show. Saints display their Rhodes-map for the future. The Colossus that is Rhodes. Etc., etc.

;)

He really is not a £12m player in my book - However If it was around the £4m mark then I would take him

Absolutely laughable. Can you imagine the meltdown on here if Spurs were saying on their forums that Saints want £30m for Schniderlin but we'd take him for £10m? People would be going mental at how disgusting and deluded "Spuds" fans were.

He really is not a £12m player in my book - However If it was around the £4m mark then I would take him

Like you I have difficulty coming to terms with increasing 'value' put on players.

Apparently Ipswich have turned down bids around the £8m mark for David McGoldrick (tidy player but unlikely to set the world alight in the Prem)

Even more surprising, apparently Sunderland reckon they can get in excess of £6m for Altadore who really looks a donkey!!

I suppose all this put the £12m we spent on Shane Long into some sort of perspective

He is a more proven goalscorer at that level than Jay Rod was and yet we paid 7.5m for Jay and he turned out OK

If the club have the money and are willing to pay it then I don't see a problem. Would consider it less of a gamble than likes of Ramirez, Osvaldo etc..

Absolutely laughable. Can you imagine the meltdown on here if Spurs were saying on their forums that Saints want £30m for Schniderlin but we'd take him for £10m? People would be going mental at how disgusting and deluded "Spuds" fans were.

Just saying that he is not worth £12m - Never played in the prem and not much in the way of suitors over the past couple of seasons. However, he might have talent that somebody of RonKo's class can tap out of him.

Morgan on the other hand is worth £30m.... For all the reasons we know.

Just saying that he is not worth £12m - Never played in the prem and not much in the way of suitors over the past couple of seasons. However, he might have talent that somebody of RonKo's class can tap out of him.

Morgan on the other hand is worth £30m.... For all the reasons we know.

He is worth £12m give the current transfer market and his age. £11m for Ross McCorkmack??

He is worth £12m give the current transfer market and his age. £11m for Ross McCorkmack??

Exactly my point he was not worth that amount of money either and he had a bit more about him than Rhodes last season...

I realise that you do need to pay higher for British players, but you would need to be confident that if they have not played in the Premiership before that they can be good enough to cut it in there.

We were convinced JayRod could when we paid out £7.5m for him, and he has - Same with Long, he has Prem experience and £12m was a going reate there.

But Rhodes or indeed McCormack neither of which have Prem experience are not up there at £12m in my book.

Blackburn signed him from Huddersfield for £8m, they aren't going to sell him for £4m now he's proven himself to be a top Championship striker and recently signed a new contract until 2019.

You can get better value abroad but £12m is about the going rate for such a player in the current market, £4m would be a laughable bid in Blackburn's view.

Exactly my point he was not worth that amount of money either and he had a bit more about him than Rhodes last season...

I realise that you do need to pay higher for British players, but you would need to be confident that if they have not played in the Premiership before that they can be good enough to cut it in there.

We were convinced JayRod could when we paid out £7.5m for him, and he has - Same with Long, he has Prem experience and £12m was a going reate there.

But Rhodes or indeed McCormack neither of which have Prem experience are not up there at £12m in my book.

We were convienced Ramirez and OSvaldo would cut it in the premier league and look how that turned out, most signings are a gamble. You might not think he's worth £12m but that is how much players cost these days, your £4m figure is laughable. A young British player with an excellent record in the championship comes at a premium. He cost them £8m, has proven himself at championship level and has 4 1/2 years left on his contract. Like i said, imagine if it was one of our players being discussed like that, people would be going nuts.

We were convienced Ramirez and OSvaldo would cut it in the premier league and look how that turned out, most signings are a gamble. You might not think he's worth £12m but that is how much players cost these days, your £4m figure is laughable. A young British player with an excellent record in the championship comes at a premium. He cost them £8m, has proven himself at championship level and has 4 1/2 years left on his contract. Like i said, imagine if it was one of our players being discussed like that, people would be going nuts.

Osvaldo was good enough, but he never wanted to come here in the first place and that attitude together with his general "bad head" was why he failed.

Granted Ramirez has been a disappointment, and with hindsight I'm not convinced that our management team now would give him a second look - Certainly RonKo feels we can do without him.

Maybe £4m is too low then if you put it like that, so I guess what remains is that we pass up on him. £12m for him is far too high.

I suspect that Rhodes could score plenty of goals from close range for us, but wouldn't do a lot for the team outside the penalty area and divide opinion like Rasiak. £12 million is not actually such a risk. If he didn't work out we would get a fair bit of the fee back by selling him on to an ambitious Championship side.

Saints strike force is now Rhodes-worthy. Rhodes-metal builds to the future. Saints' attack is now Rhodes-tested. Saints ready for its Rhodes show. Saints display their Rhodes-map for the future. The Colossus that is Rhodes. Etc., etc.

;)

Irish striker Long builds up Rhodes? :)

Like you I have difficulty coming to terms with increasing 'value' put on players.

Apparently Ipswich have turned down bids around the £8m mark for David McGoldrick (tidy player but unlikely to set the world alight in the Prem)

Even more surprising, apparently Sunderland reckon they can get in excess of £6m for Altadore who really looks a donkey!!

I suppose all this put the £12m we spent on Shane Long into some sort of perspective

As TV money increases so do player's prices and wages. There's no point in looking at the price of players 1 or 2 years ago as a benchmark for prices now.

He'd be cheaper because his contract is up in the summer. Doesn't make much sense paying millions now though when you could get him for free in a few months.

Our very own ITK old whatsis-face said the reason we couldn't bring in Ings last window is that Liverpool were reportedly interested and he was holding out for them. I don't imagine anything will have changed given their striker situation so I rather fear we will miss out on Danny.

Be careful what you say about McGoldrick, we face him Sunday and it won't surprise me one jot if he scores the winner after all the abuse he's had on this site

Be careful what you say about McGoldrick, we face him Sunday and it won't surprise me one jot if he scores the winner after all the abuse he's had on this site

Yes, I'm sure he's been in here daily getting wound up by all the horrible things people have said. Having read all that he'll be doubly determined- if only the fools had been nice to him he might have decided not to score against us.

You mean we no longer want players who are young, hungry and guranteed to improve?

Not quite what I meant! Age for a striker is ok, hungry, not sure about that, guaranteed to improve, in my opinion he will not improve sufficiently to make the grade with us. But I was actually referring to his playing style, his work rate, first touch, and ability to hold up the ball fall well short of the standards we require these days.

If the Echo says it's £12 mil then it must be right, yeah ??

If the story is even correct at all then my guess would be £8 mil up front with add-ons (Blackburn realise they won't be promoted so are probably happy to cash in and reduce the wage bill !).

FWIW I reckon he could be a great addition to the squad !

Not quite what I meant! Age for a striker is ok, hungry, not sure about that, guaranteed to improve, in my opinion he will not improve sufficiently to make the grade with us. But I was actually referring to his playing style, his work rate, first touch, and ability to hold up the ball fall well short of the standards we require these days.

He's no Mayuka, I grant you.

I believe the modern Premier League striker needs to be able to do a few different things very well to make an impact and contribute. A poacher like Rhodes (and no doubt he can finish) is going to find the contribution he can make decrease the further down the table he plays. Just look at how Gary Hooper got on in a relegation battle last season. I think we can, and should, do better - regardless of the fee.

I believe the modern Premier League striker needs to be able to do a few different things very well to make an impact and contribute. A poacher like Rhodes (and no doubt he can finish) is going to find the contribution he can make decrease the further down the table he plays. Just look at how Gary Hooper got on in a relegation battle last season. I think we can' date=' and should, do better - regardless of the fee.[/quote']

rovers fans think he is way more than that

You mean we no longer want players who are young, hungry and guranteed to improve?

Not guaranteed to get quicker unfortunately. No pace - which is why most of the big clubs that looked at him when at Huddersfield weren't interested.

Ask many Blackburn fans and they'd be more gutted if they lost Gestede.

rovers fans think he is way more than that

If his hold up play and other aspects of his game have significantly improved then I stand corrected. But I haven't seen any of it the past few years to think so. Plus he can't even get in the Scotland squad so Strachan thinks there are other strikers who can contribute more, even if he is a better finisher than others who get in ahead of him.