What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Eh up Mrs BTF .......it's been a long time.

Signaling strong sales for firearms retailers, a total of 185,345 instant FBI background checks were completed the day after Thanksgiving. With about two processed per second, that’s an all-time record. However, officials had expected even more requests.

Black Friday is always a big day for sales – even for guns. During last year’s Black Friday the FBI processed over 175,000 background checks, but this year broke a record set on December 21, 2012, when 177,170 checks were completed in anticipation of Christmas and in response to the Sandy Hook Elementary School massacre days earlier.

This year’s Black Friday had more than sales in the news. In Colorado Springs, a mass shooting took place at a Planned Parenthood office, and typically high profile crimes like that do precede spikes in background checks and gun sales.

It's just weird - the apparent course of events is that they took their child to a relative before going to the centre for a celebration, duirng which they had a row and then went out to get the guns.

It appears that this lot had sworn their allegiance to Isis and it was planned

More Islamic mentalism going on.

It appears that this lot had sworn their allegiance to Isis and it was planned

Its still weird though. Work somewhere for five years with environmental health colleagues, go to a party and only kill them once you've had a row? Why not just pick on random 'sinners' listening to music and drinking ans the Paris lot did.

Its still weird though. Work somewhere for five years with environmental health colleagues, go to a party and only kill them once you've had a row? Why not just pick on random 'sinners' listening to music and drinking ans the Paris lot did.

Bloke was probably an iffy influencable sort, the woman looks likes a really old dragon (even at 28 or so) and she probably

egged him on after getting humiliated by colleagues; They certainly had the arsenal required and she looks like a real islamist type of girl.

Truly bizarre. Lets look at some of my "extreme and dangerous" views. Gay people don't necessarily want to live in Gay ghettoes. Gay people are just like straight people only have different preferences in partners. There are other ways of dealing with the problems in the Middle East other than bombing Syria. The majority of Muslims want to live peacefully. Hey, look at me, I am SO radical I am off the chart. And you say being the opposite end of the spectrum to Trump as if it is a bad thing LOL. If you think that bombing Syria has made us any safer in this country, good luck with that. You and Donald can hide behind your "I am not a bigot" bumper stickers. That should keep you safe.

Edited by sadoldgit

• 4 weeks later...

Just seen Channel 4 News with some pro-gun yank on there kicking off because Obama has brought in the requirement for those who want to buy a gun to have a 'back ground check' done on them..

apparently, doing that is absurd and totally 'un-american'.

The fact that 140+ have died in 2016 by guns alone is just a fact of life and 'it happens'...

just so weird about it aren't they

While in this country you can be arrested and charged with an offence for even joking that you have a gun on you in a airport, bizarrely thanks to so-called ''Open Carry'' legislation passed in Texas last year, it is now apparently perfectly legal there to walk into a airport with a gun on your person - carried in true ''wild-west'' style plain sight!

http://www.travelweekly.com/Travel-News/Airline-News/Texas-law-now-allows-open-carry-at-airports

This thread is over 12 months old now - with methinks the vast majority of (sensible) contributors agreeing with President Obama that the USA urgently needs gun control reform in order to stem the remorseless tide of bloodshed we see on both their streets and in their homes. Indeed, I suspect many on here would agree with me in thinking that the very limited measures he is proposing don't go nearly nearly far enough to address the problem meaningfully.

However, it seems to me that this perverse 'gun-culture' is now so entrenched with huge swathes of the US population - however appalling the consequences may be - that there is no solution to the problem possible anymore. Some go so far as to predict that should the Federal Government ever try and remove firearms from the population one day then a virtual civil war would ensue. Somehow the USA has worked itself into a situation where each instance of gun violence in turn seems to begat more widespread gun ownership - because so many Americans seemingly don't trust the forces of law and order to protect them anymore. This is a truly 'vicious circle' if ever I saw one and a damning indictment of America's political system and the cult of individual rights before collective responsibility.

So perhaps the USA is indeed doomed to suffer ever increasing levels of gun violence far into the unforeseeable future because there is just no way out of this impasse that this great nation can collectively accept. If that is so .. well we can only pity them I suppose.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

Perhaps we are looking at this the wrong way? Perhaps we should let them have all the guns that they want, just stop the supply of ammunition. That way they can cuddle up to their favourite toys all they like but will only be able to do any damage by hitting someone with them.

• 1 month later...
A white Chicago police officer who fatally shot a black teenager last December is suing his family for $10m claiming emotional distress (he also killed the boys neighbour in the process).

Unbelievable.

The US is a very litigious society and there are hordes of personal injury lawyers looking for ways to gain compensation for their clients.

• 2 weeks later...
Some logic in this whole sorry mess. Probably not, but perhaps a little self pacification for those who partake:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/video_and_audio/features/magazine-35590249/35590249

Oh I get it. Guns are are fun. Heroin is supposed to be amazing fun, so nice all you can think about is doing it again.

Ive shot guns at a range before and would do it again. Its just a really really bad idea for the population to have guns at home in the same place that rows with neighbours and spouses take place and you also have curious kids.

• 2 weeks later...

Mother leaves loaded handgun in the back of her car and is shot by her four-year-old son. She is a gun-rights advocate.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/my-four-year-old-gets-jacked-up-to-target-shoot-florida-mom-brags-hours-before-he-shoots-her

N.B. I see now that this has already been posted by Micky (one post above).

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Mother leaves loaded handgun in the back of her car and is shot by her four-year-old son. She is a gun-rights advocate.

http://news.nationalpost.com/news/world/my-four-year-old-gets-jacked-up-to-target-shoot-florida-mom-brags-hours-before-he-shoots-her

N.B. I see now that this has already been posted by Micky (one post above).

If only she had two guns, she would have been in a position to defend herself.

• 2 weeks later...
Some lunatic has 'opened fire' at the White House!!

Think it's the Capitol (Congress). Be interesting to see the background and then the associated reaction from the usual suspects. i.e. reaction if muslim versus black versus white ...

Think it's the Capitol (Congress). Be interesting to see the background and then the associated reaction from the usual suspects. i.e. reaction if muslim versus black versus white ...

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/28/capitol-shooter-larry-dawson-shouted-he-was-prophet-of-god-inside-u-s-house.html

"ABC and NBC News report police have identified Larry Dawson of Antioch, Tennessee as the gunman who allegedly drew a gun at the visitors center on Monday. U.S. Capitol Police would not confirm or deny it was Dawson, 66, at a press conference but said he was previously known to them. In October, Dawson was caught yelling he was a "prophet of God" from the balcony of the House of Representatives. Dawson reportedly was charged with with unlawful misconduct and assault on a police officer."

http://www.thedailybeast.com/articles/2016/03/28/capitol-shooter-larry-dawson-shouted-he-was-prophet-of-god-inside-u-s-house.html

"ABC and NBC News report police have identified Larry Dawson of Antioch, Tennessee as the gunman who allegedly drew a gun at the visitors center on Monday. U.S. Capitol Police would not confirm or deny it was Dawson, 66, at a press conference but said he was previously known to them. In October, Dawson was caught yelling he was a "prophet of God" from the balcony of the House of Representatives. Dawson reportedly was charged with with unlawful misconduct and assault on a police officer."

I assume Trump will come out and state that all Christians should be barred from entering the country until they get to the bottom of this.

• 1 month later...

Guns don't kill people; toddlers do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/01/toddlers-have-shot-at-least-23-people-this-year/

"Last year, a Washington Post analysis found that toddlers were finding guns and shooting people at a rate of about one a week. This year, that pace has accelerated. There have been at least 23 toddler-involved shootings since Jan. 1, compared with 18 over the same period last year."

"Guns are now killing as many people as cars in the U.S."

Edited by Hamilton Saint

Or more accurately, toddlers with guns. Not sure that they would do much damage with a Farley's Rusk.

Right. Although they don't do Farley's Rusks in the U.S. Besides, these days American infants are more likely to be pre-occupied with a digital game device than a morsel of food!

Guns don't kill people; toddlers do.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/wonk/wp/2016/05/01/toddlers-have-shot-at-least-23-people-this-year/

"Last year, a Washington Post analysis found that toddlers were finding guns and shooting people at a rate of about one a week. This year, that pace has accelerated. There have been at least 23 toddler-involved shootings since Jan. 1, compared with 18 over the same period last year."

"Guns are now killing as many people as cars in the U.S."

Bit of a tangent - but did you notice from that list shootings by boys outnumbers that by girls at a rate of 8:1? Even at three years old or younger there is a gender element to shootings. Nature, not just nurture.

Bit of a tangent - but did you notice from that list shootings by boys outnumbers that by girls at a rate of 8:1? Even at three years old or younger there is a gender element to shootings. Nature, not just nurture.

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Perhaps it's to do with gender-stereotyping: girls play with dolls; boys play with toy guns?

The issue of the prevalence of these incidents in particular states is also of interest. Does the "local culture" have an impact on local behaviour?

Interesting, I hadn't noticed that. Perhaps it's to do with gender-stereotyping: girls play with dolls; boys play with toy guns?

The issue of the prevalence of these incidents in particular states is also of interest. Does the "local culture" have an impact on local behaviour?

I remember seeing an interview with well known 'lefty' Harriet Harman - known in Private Eye as Harriet Harperson - about her attempts to bring up her son and daughter in a gender neutral environment. She tried to make sure the boy played with dolls and the girl played cowboys. She admitted she failed in that utterly and that her kids were predisposed / drawn to certain toys, even before they had a real concept of which gender they belonged to. Some things are hard wired I think.

Im sure culture has the biggest impact more than the presence / absence of gun storage laws. The kind of people who are flaky enough to think they need the protection from a gun are going to keep them close at hand and easily accessible. Those who have them for sporting reasons are more likely to lock them away.

• 1 month later...