What is wrong with America

Red Alert

A few statistics for you from a magazine article in December, 2015:

- Since John Lennon was shot dead in NYC in December 1980, more than 1,150,000 Americans (civilians) have died in gun violence

- Since 1968, more American civilians have been killed in gun violence than all the casualties of all the wars in US history

- 90 Americans die every day in gun violence; that's about 33,000 per year

50 killed at shooting in the Orlando gay bar, with over 50 more injured. The killer is Omar Shateen.

The father says his killing was not motivated by religion, but his anger at the fact a gay couple embraced each other in front of him.

Perhaps not motivated by it but undeniably a factor. Imagine growing up gay in a Muslim family, knowing you would be outcast if your family knew your true feelings. Believing you are some sort of crime against God, for which many countries still apply capital punishment. No wonder this guy was a weirdo and an outcast.

Perhaps not motivated by it but undeniably a factor. Imagine growing up gay in a Muslim family, knowing you would be outcast if your family knew your true feelings. Believing you are some sort of crime against God, for which many countries still apply capital punishment. No wonder this guy was a weirdo and an outcast.

This.

You can't ignore the fact that killing gays IS the law in some Muslim countries.

• 3 weeks later...

Police shooting people dead during routine traffic stops, murdering people in the street on camera, people shooting police in revenge attacks.... But it's nothing to do with the relaxed gun laws over there. In fact the country would be a much safer place if everybody carried a gun.

America's obsession with guns and pointing them at people during the most routine of situations is disturbing and it's no surprise things go wrong so often. The lack of intelligence over the whole situation is baffling.

It's all kicking off in Dallas this morning as a protest against murderous police violence directed against America's black population has suddenly turned into a vicious firefight. Five US Police officers have been shot dead and 6 more have been wounded by sniper fire.

A deadly nexus of social media agitation, unchecked police brutally and a politcal system that seems utterly incapable of introducing any meaningful gun-control measures seems to be steering the USA towards a ever more violent future.

It's all kicking off in Dallas this morning as a protest against murderous police violence directed against America's black population has suddenly turned into a vicious firefight. Five US Police officers have been shot dead and 6 more have been wounded by sniper fire.

A deadly nexus of social media agitation, unchecked police brutally and a politcal system that seems utterly incapable of introducing any meaningful gun-control measures seems to be steering the USA towards a ever more violent future.

I'd also add to that a vile economic system and some of the most toxic neoconservative pressure groups in the world. But hey, Brexit supporters want the UK to be more like America!

The was even a man open carrying an assault rifle at the protest. He was named as a suspect initially then turned himself in and was later released without charge, so clearly innocent but surely that's the sort of person Trump and others expect to leap into action to stop this from happening?

The was even a man open carrying an assault rifle at the protest. He was named as a suspect initially then turned himself in and was later released without charge, so clearly innocent but surely that's the sort of person Trump and others expect to leap into action to stop this from happening?

I think that he was making a point about the open carry law,; but to be a coloured man walking around with a semi-automatic rifle like that strikes me as suicidal. Apparently there were witnesses telling Police he had been one of the shooters.

It's Friday, ho hum, nothing new stateside yet again.

Move on folks, all these gun related deaths have nothing to do with guns.

On a side note, how weird was that woman live streaming her fiance's dying moments. After the event, she said the police denied her the opportunity to speak to him one last time.....er, how about when you were filming him!!! He wasn't going anywhere!!

Edited by Ohio Saint

Now that I live in USA I have been wondering what you do if you think a crazed cop is going to shoot you, and you have a gun. Your only option is to shoot them before they kill you what happens? Now I know the answer they blow you up.

Surely that's progress against the war on guns, no...???? If you have a gun now - we are going to come at you with something bigger. Never mind gun control, bollux to it.

Check it out - how to fight guns....., easy, bigger guns...!!!

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/technology-36778374

The pro gun argument here is usually that all it needs is for the potential victims to be armed.....If only the police here were armed......

Good point.

Apparently what is really needed now is for the "good guys" to not only to be armed, but to be BETTER armed than the "bad guys". Thetefore, before very long I suspect that the NRA will be advising that police departments should employ Bazookas and helicopter gunships in their road policing efforts. That would clearly make much more sense than attempting to introduce any meaningful gun-control legislation.

Remember, do it to them before they do it to you ...

FFS just saw this on C4 News. Fcked up country. Care worker trying to talk round an autistic chap with a toy truck. Yeah let's shoot him

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-care-worker-charles-kinsey-shot-by-us-police-while-calming-autistic-patient-miami-gun-latest-a7148216.html

There's a video interview with the victim in which he says he asked the Policeman why he had been shot, the reply was "I don't know".

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-36861794

Lyin' Ted stitching up Trump was pure theatre. Vote your conscience.

I'm afraid that it's going to take an almighty push by the Hilary campaign to de-rail the Trump juggernaut. Next week is the Dem convention and I hope they've got some trump cards up their sleeve, get tough and call him out successfully enough to convince the electorate....and don't stop until November, because so far, they've failed.

There's a video interview with the victim in which he says he asked the Policeman why he had been shot, the reply was "I don't know".

What annoys me more about this is the need to bring colour into the news. The policeman shot the guy for no reason - he said so himself. There is no mention of colour at all.

"Why did you shoot me?"

"I don't know"

Absolutely no need for the news article to mention colour at all, completely unnecessary - you can see the guy is black. All the headline does is stir up the wrong kind of emotions which is part of the problem.

Edit: Apologies, I quoted the wrong one - I was referencing the Independent news article.

FFS just saw this on C4 News. Fcked up country. Care worker trying to talk round an autistic chap with a toy truck. Yeah let's shoot him

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/unarmed-care-worker-charles-kinsey-shot-by-us-police-while-calming-autistic-patient-miami-gun-latest-a7148216.html

I think it's now got to the stage where both the public, and the police, are actually thinking 'Kill or be killed', no matter what the situation. Their total acceptance and reliance on guns to 'solve' even the most minor of disturbances is, if it weren't so tragic, almost laughable.

As usual, it's the innocents that suffer, but that won't stop them carrying their guns, no siree.

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/world/father-shoots-son-dead-in-freak-accident-at-firing-range-but-vows-his-attitude-to-guns-wont-change-a3287981.html

I'm afraid that it's going to take an almighty push by the Hilary campaign to de-rail the Trump juggernaut. Next week is the Dem convention and I hope they've got some trump cards up their sleeve, get tough and call him out successfully enough to convince the electorate....and don't stop until November, because so far, they've failed.

Yeah, I'm getting very worried. For anyone who is undecided but could be leaning right, he gave an excellent speech that could help swing things even more. Content just doesn't matter as much as how often you strike a Mussolini pose for the cameras. :(

Yeah, I'm getting very worried. For anyone who is undecided but could be leaning right, he gave an excellent speech that could help swing things even more. Content just doesn't matter as much as how often you strike a Mussolini pose for the cameras. :(

Funnily enough the comparision between Trump and Mussolini struck me some time ago. The posturing, the mannerisms, the same inability to think issues through.

Add weird hair and a ghastly 'trophy wife' and they could be brothers.

Funnily enough the comparision between Trump and Mussolini struck me some time ago. The posturing, the mannerisms, the same inability to think issues through.

It reminded me more of Fidel Castro but it was a good speech. Though he didn't explain much of how he's going to realise those promises...

Speaking of a ghastly 'trophy wife'... :D

23-trump-clinton-ad.w529.h352.jpg

Don't forget the striking similarities in political rhetoric and actual policy pronouncements. It's both alarming and fascinating to see a real live fascist competing for political power and being so close to it. It's like the 1930s never happened.

Don't forget the striking similarities in political rhetoric and actual policy pronouncements. It's both alarming and fascinating to see a real live fascist competing for political power and being so close to it. It's like the 1930s never happened.

I don't trust Trump either but to me he comes across as far less dangerous to the world than the Clintons, Bushes, Kissingers and the real powers behind them. Though you may ask how Trump became that filthy rich, it's clear that he gets no financial support from the usual suspects while Clintons campaign funds are overflowing and we all know that nothing comes for free right? Trump is independent and I would like to see him deal with the 'rigged system' he was talking about in his speech, the system that controls this world far too much. I would have liked to see him do that alongside another independent mind like Bernie Saunders, too bad such a collaboration is many bridges too far...

Mafia Don's tactics are those of the playground bully. Keep using a slur like 'Mafia Don' all the time and it will eventually stick and all the kids will think that Mafia Don actually has ties to the underworld, no burden of proof needed.

Sure, politics is a nasty business, but to fool so many people by acting like a 12 year old? Mafia Don is truly excelling at it. I don't want the country to be run by a 12 year old.

Interesting item on the BBC website today. Its basically about how Trump is drawing support from traditional blue collar Democrats and alienating traditional die hard Republicans simultaneously. Its basically the same story as that behind the EU referendum - a lot of people feel alienated and that they are trapped in low wage jobs with no prospects so they're voting for change, even though they aren't sure what that change will bring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36883729

Mafia Don's tactics are those of the playground bully. Keep using a slur like 'Mafia Don' all the time and it will eventually stick and all the kids will think that Mafia Don actually has ties to the underworld, no burden of proof needed.

Sure, politics is a nasty business, but to fool so many people by acting like a 12 year old? Mafia Don is truly excelling at it. I don't want the country to be run by a 12 year old.

For a 12-year old Trump is saying some harsh truths about the deplorable state of the US after so many years of Bushes and Clintons and the likes of them. Surely that's not a guarantee he's going to put his money where his mouth is but on the other side, you know Clinton won't change anything for the better so why would you like to stay on a road going nowhere?

As a Dutchman I'm more concerned about the way the US has acted and is acting in the Middle East and North Africa, the result of the policies of the Bushes and Clinton as Secretary of State are devastating for European citizens. If Hillary have her way we're facing another stand-off with Putin and really, Europe does have enough problems already thanks to her. Problems for which we don't even have the beginning of a solution so I hope you don't mind that I keep my fingers crossed and hope she won't be the next President.

Putin said his FSB will publish the mails from Hillary to show what kind of monster she is and hopefully this will be something good. I know, Putin is a rotten chap also but as you say, politics is a nasty business.

Interesting item on the BBC website today. Its basically about how Trump is drawing support from traditional blue collar Democrats and alienating traditional die hard Republicans simultaneously. Its basically the same story as that behind the EU referendum - a lot of people feel alienated and that they are trapped in low wage jobs with no prospects so they're voting for change, even though they aren't sure what that change will bring.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/election-us-2016-36883729

And no need to worry about facts and experts it's all about feelings. John Oliver on Newt Gingrich (about 14mins in)

https://youtu.be/Dsw1vUpc6Ug

For a 12-year old Trump is saying some harsh truths about the deplorable state of the US after so many years of Bushes and Clintons and the likes of them. Surely that's not a guarantee he's going to put his money where his mouth is but on the other side, you know Clinton won't change anything for the better so why would you like to stay on a road going nowhere?

As a Dutchman I'm more concerned about the way the US has acted and is acting in the Middle East and North Africa, the result of the policies of the Bushes and Clinton as Secretary of State are devastating for European citizens. If Hillary have her way we're facing another stand-off with Putin and really, Europe does have enough problems already thanks to her. Problems for which we don't even have the beginning of a solution so I hope you don't mind that I keep my fingers crossed and hope she won't be the next President.

Putin said his FSB will publish the mails from Hillary to show what kind of monster she is and hopefully this will be something good. I know, Putin is a rotten chap also but as you say, politics is a nasty business.

Bolded point 1- Trump has not actually said anything at all yet aside from "Believe me" (He says that an awful lot) and everything is rotten, I will do it better (Believe me)

Bolded point 2 - I don't know this. I can doubt it, sure, but I don't know it. For the record, I would have voted for Bernie without a qualm. Trump has said he would do plenty (Believe me) but has offered absolutely no clue as to how he will achieve anything without the support of the majority in congress.

Bolded point 3 - Putin, yes....We should base our vote on whatever Putin has to say about it.?

And no need to worry about facts and experts it's all about feelings. John Oliver on Newt Gingrich (about 14mins in)

https://youtu.be/Dsw1vUpc6Ug

The worst part is - Gingrich is right. Uninformed feelings trump (sic) reality. Is this pandering to feelings instead of trying to persuade people of the truth new? Seems to me as though it is but maybe thats just a feeling

Bolded point 1- Trump has not actually said anything at all yet aside from "Believe me" (He says that an awful lot) and everything is rotten, I will do it better (Believe me)

Bolded point 2 - I don't know this. I can doubt it, sure, but I don't know it. For the record, I would have voted for Bernie without a qualm. Trump has said he would do plenty (Believe me) but has offered absolutely no clue as to how he will achieve anything without the support of the majority in congress.

Bolded point 3 - Putin, yes....We should base our vote on whatever Putin has to say about it.?

Bolded point 1: I was referring to his remarks about things like the national debt (19 trillion dollars? :shakey:) infrastructure and education system. Surely you will agree these things are a mess in the US?

Bolded point 2: We've seen the "change" from Obama, if there's any little sign, however small, that Clinton is really going to change things then, please let me know. I can only agree of course that Trump doesn't explain how he will achieve his goals, is Clinton doing any better and does it sound credible to you?

Bolded point 3: No, I'm just hoping the FSB will give some credible information on Clinton which will make sure you can't even vote for Hillary as she won't be there anymore... ;)

Bolded point 1: I was referring to his remarks about things like the national debt (19 trillion dollars? :shakey:) infrastructure and education system. Surely you will agree these things are a mess in the US?

Bolded point 2: We've seen the "change" from Obama, if there's any little sign, however small, that Clinton is really going to change things then, please let me know. I can only agree of course that Trump doesn't explain how he will achieve his goals, is Clinton doing any better and does it sound credible to you?

Bolded point 3: No, I'm just hoping the FSB will give some credible information on Clinton which will make sure you can't even vote for Hillary as she won't be there anymore... ;)

Point 1. Trump talks about those things, and claims he will fix them without any mention of how he might do this apart from being awesome.

Point 2 . Yes, a republican dominated congress makes things a lot harder to implement change. The Dems need a swing in congress and the Supreme court to avoid any further damage by the GOP

Point 3. Putin....You are looking for support from Putin. Beware of your bedfellows.

Point 1. Trump talks about those things, and claims he will fix them without any mention of how he might do this apart from being awesome.

Point 2 . Yes, a republican dominated congress makes things a lot harder to implement change. The Dems need a swing in congress and the Supreme court to avoid any further damage by the GOP

Point 3. Putin....You are looking for support from Putin. Beware of your bedfellows.

Point 1: I know, politicians usually lie so what else is new?

Point 2: So you agree there's not much chance of Clinton changing things...

Point 3: "Keep your friends close and your enemies closer" ;)

Further on point 2. Actually Trump needs something to happen in congress too, as he does NOT have the support of his own party there. Congress will be a problem for both candidates regarding making any change without an executive order.

So, it's a deadlock situation for both Clinton and Trump on domestic affairs? All the more reason to look at the foreign policy of the US which brought nothing but trouble with Hillary as Secretary of State...

Btw, what's your opinion on Bernie Sanders now? During his entire campaign he was calling Hillary 'a corrupt and bought out corporist', now he is endorsing her... Just politics? Would you rather vote for this corrupt and bought out corporist with an agenda written by people who are really in control than you would vote for the '12-year old kid' who appears to be a free agent?

I can understand that Ohio Saint, too bad there are no others to choose from in the States. Then again, in the Netherlands we have around 15 political parties we can choose from for the general elections so the government is always a mix from those parties who need to make compromises. So, in the end a lot of the promises during campaign time are broken as soon as they start to govern... Currently the Dutch government exists of the Dutch equivalent of the Democrate and Republican parties in the US (or the Tories and Labour in the UK), imagine how much they had to compromise... Yet, a government with both Republicans and Democrats in it might be a better thing in your country as there would be less party clutter, maybe then they would actually achieve something in the US... ;)