What is wrong with America

Red Alert

Unfortunately that is not true. More people have been killed in the years since Trump became president than any year previously. It's also a fact that it is easier now to buy guns than it was under Obama. One of Trump's first (if not his actual first) executive order was to remove mental health related background checks Obama brought in. Ironically one of the major talking points re reasons for this BS from the Republicans is mental health (they refuse to mention white supremacy).

Trump was funded by the NRA to the tune of $30m during the '16 elections.

The democratic controlled Congress have passed 2 laws making it harder for domestic abusers and those with mental health issues to buy guns. Mitch McConnell (Republican leader of the Senate) has refused to put these laws to a vote.

Those saying we shouldn't politicise these events are (and I choose my words carefully here) ****ing idiots. How else are these shootings going to stop if it isn't through politics, "thoughts and prayers" maybe? Quite simply one party wants to make it harder to own guns than the other. That other party receive huge financial support from gun manufacturers and their lobbying group the NRA. IMO only a total moron would fail to see the link between gun ownership/ accessibility and mass shootings. The system is beyond corrupt and people are dying regularly.

The fact Trump spent the entire weekend literally playing golf whilst this was happening is totally bonkers but not unexpected for a guy who clearly has narcissistic personality disorder and a total inability to express even the smallest level of empathy for any situation.

Serious question

Did the latest killings occur due to the more relaxed laws around purchasing guns?

Serious question

Did the latest killings occur due to the more relaxed laws around purchasing guns?

Don't know yet, will see when we know the full facts. Early reports say yes, the Dayton, Ohio (although Trump just quoted "Toledo" instead as he's a total ****ing moron) shooter would've been tagged with the "red flag" rules previously proposed and it looks like he used a 100 round clip that would have been made illegal. I'm not prepared to say an emphatic yes yet as we simply don't know the facts.

Agree totally that the obsession with gun ownership there is potentially beyond help. Will take generations to fix but they have to start sometime/ somehow.

Let's face it though, there is a President in place that openly incites racism and violence (on camera) and has zero empathy with the victims of these crimes - even golfing all weekend ffs and has a Senate leader in McConnell that will not put any kind of gun control measure to any vote no matter how popular it is in Congress. This will happen again, and again, and again....

Let me get this straight.

It was pretty easy to get hold of high calibre automatic assault rifles anyway.

But this is trumps fault because we have no idea if this person had access to the weapons before any new rule and he used a clip that would be illegal. Despite the fact that smaller, yet equally dangerous clips are easily available

Were deaths attributed to Obama like this when these mass shooting occurred under his watch (with little done about it)?

These people are screwed in a country obsessed with guns. Its their problem and one they don't want to fix.

Let me get this straight.

It was pretty easy to get hold of high calibre automatic assault rifles anyway.

Yes - No argument there

But this is trumps fault because we have no idea if this person had access to the weapons before any new rule and he used a clip that would be illegal. Despite the fact that smaller, yet equally dangerous clips are easily available

Where has a single person claimed the Dayton, Ohio shooting was Trump's fault? Trump's anti immigration/ Latino rhetoric seems to be a strong motivator in the El Paso, Texas shooting but not heard Trump directly blamed for Dayton as the facts are simply not available (I admitted above I don't know the facts so would not blame anyone). I mentioned the 100 round clip (which could be total b*llocks) because he only had 62 seconds to fire off 41 rounds (he had 250 on him) before he was taken out by law enforcement. If he had to change his clip in the middle of a 62 second burst of carnage I suspect less people would have been shot. These facts were just said on a live feed I've watched of the local Police Chief. Again, I'm no expert there and happy to wait until the truth is fully available. I get a lot of things wrong and happy to put my hands up when I do.

Were deaths attributed to Obama like this when these mass shooting occurred under his watch (with little done about it)?

Partly. There was constant frustration with Obama not getting strong gun control measures through. However it was obvious he was hamstrung by the Republican Senate during his second term. It was also obvious he had empathy for the victims and on a person level he wanted to introduce gun control laws. In his first time he partly did this with the mental health background checks that Trump took away early in his administration. It's worth mentioning (again) that there are more of these mass shootings now than any time under Obama, Bush II, Clinton or Bush.

These people are screwed in a country obsessed with guns. Its their problem and one they don't want to fix.

Wrong. the majority of Americans support gun control. Literally every single survey says this. A massive 89% support background checks (inc 80% of republicans) and 57% support a total ban on semi auto assault weapons.

I also agree it won't be easy and there is an obsession with the 2nd amendment.

Look, I get it. You want to somehow, for some reason (I don't know you or your politics so won't pretend to understand) suggest the President/ Congress/ Senate cannot change this and couldn't anyway because all Americans are obsessed with guns. I imagine this is why you are bringing up Obama for no reason whatsoever, in fact he's (as stated above) a great example of how the political system in the US bound his hands. Trump does not have that issue (Congress have passed the law, the Senate controlled by his guy won't allow a vote) but "owes" the NRA a (reported) $30m in campaign contributions.

This is not a partisan issue though, if Trump and Mitch McConnell got behind it there could be a bill passed in 24hrs banning semi auto weapons and requiring background checks. The goodwill is there in both houses (easily enough dem's and repub's to pass it). Again, I agree there is a gun ownership issue but if you can make it harder for these lunatics to get their hands on these weapons it could be the first step to a broader reworking of gun control laws that is more in line with every other civilised democracy on the planet. None of which have the same issues at the USA with gun deaths. Again, that'll take generations but step one can start today is Trump decided to get McConnell on board and support it. He won't. That is the problem.

Excellent post Jackanory. Trump can't/won't deal with this because of the relationship to the NRA, who are the real root problem here and have been for decades. You are right about the second amendment but I cannot possibly think that the Founding Fathers would have envisaged that semi automatic assault weapons - had they existed - represented a legitmate means of individual or household defence/right to be bear arms. Be interesting to see if the Democrats finally grow a pair and go big time on Trump's position with the NRA.

The numbers are mass shooting are up under Trump and it's no accident with the openly racist rhetoric (given Reagan's recorded remarks about the UN to Nixon in 1971 the Republicans do have some serious issues on this front to resolve) and 'de-regulation' of even the basic controls that previous Presidents were able to put in place under the NRAs $$$s and campaigns/lobbying in the Senate.

I agree that this has moved well beyond a right Vs left issue into a NRA and their friends in the Senate. The US electorate have to do their bit now and get behind politicians on all sides who are making serious efforts to reduce the easy access and beefing up checks. Trump has no excuses whatsoever for not doing it - he has a majority in the Senate and the Democrats in either house are hardly going to block it? The days of the old Southern Democrats who might have done are long gone with Nixon and Reagan.

I'm not aware of any killer quoting Obama during a massacre - but this guy referenced Trump, because his rhetoric inspires nutters.

He knows the state of gun control yet he still whips up hate.

Time to order up more body bags and feeble excuses.

I'm not aware of any killer quoting Obama during a massacre - but this guy referenced Trump, because his rhetoric inspires nutters.

He knows the state of gun control yet he still whips up hate.

Time to order up more body bags and feeble excuses.

come on. When an islamic nutter murders people, you can't blame Allah, who apparently told them to do it.

Not too long ago, it was the fault of computer games, now it is the orange man.

It is like suggesting these horrific events will stop when he departs office. We all know it wont and it will be another reason to blame (other than their weird obsession with guns)

come on. When an islamic nutter murders people, you can't blame Allah, who apparently told them to do it.

Not too long ago, it was the fault of computer games, now it is the orange man.

It is like suggesting these horrific events will stop when he departs office. We all know it wont and it will be another reason to blame (other than their weird obsession with guns)

No one is suggesting he is the sole cause, just that his hate filled rhetoric makes the situation worse. **** me it’s not rocket science.

No one is suggesting he is the sole cause, just that his hate filled rhetoric makes the situation worse. **** me it’s not rocket science.

way too simplistic to part-blame an individual.

One of the recent shooters is a right-winger, the other is a left-winger.

One praised Trumps immigration policy. The other praised antifa, Oscario-corteze and bernie sanders, are they also partly to blame?

It appears only one side of the political debate rushed to score political points, despite these shootings happening before trump and will continue after trump.

All very tragic and avoidable

One praised Trumps immigration policy. The other praised antifa, Oscario-corteze and bernie sanders, are they also partly to blame?

It appears only one side of the political debate rushed to score political points, despite these shootings happening before trump and will continue after trump.

Not followed the news closely but have officials called the Dayton shooting a domestic terrorism case? From what I’ve seen, the Dayton Police Chief said there’s nothing to suggest a bias- or hate-motive behind the shooting.

Which is to say there’s a difference between having political views which are merely incidental to the crime and committing a crime on account of those views. It’s so blindingly obvious it shouldn’t need spelling out.

Edited by shurlock

Not followed the news closely but have officials called the Dayton shooting a domestic terrorism case? From what I’ve seen, the Dayton Police Chief said there’s nothing to suggest a bias- or hate-motive behind the shooting.

Which is to say there’s a difference between having political views which are merely incidental to the crime and committing a crime on account of those views. It’s so blindingly obvious it shouldn’t need spelling out.

Considering one of the victims at Dayton was the shooter's sister, it looks like it might be a domestically triggered event.

It’s obvious why - one party in Washington is proposing gun controls and another is hiding behind pathetic excuses that it’s unconstitutional etc. Well done to Lindsey Graham for stepping away from the NRA’s blood money and working with colleagues on the other side of the floor on red flags.

Trump’s speech is so weak it’s untrue. Clearly the NRA have seriously infiltrated the Trump White House and Republican leadership as well as the far right.

Since these mass shootings are happening more and more frequently, I'm glad people are rushing to 'score political points' instead of asking the public to sort it all out with prayer.

Trump is reluctant to do anything as explained above.

He is partly to blame for the increase of these incidents, as explained above. (As Shurlock succinctly points out - "Which is to say there’s a difference between having political views which are merely incidental to the crime and committing a crime on account of those views. It’s so blindingly obvious it shouldn’t need spelling out.")

The motive for the Ohio shooting is unclear, the El Paso shooter posted an anti-immigration manefesto online. The Link with Trump’s ant-immigration rhetoric is obvious.

The motive for the Ohio shooting is unclear, the El Paso shooter posted an anti-immigration manefesto online. The Link with Trump’s ant-immigration rhetoric is obvious.

You’re quite right. It isn’t rocket science. Odd how some play down Trump’s part in the emboldening of the many psychopaths in the US. His rallies often feature violence directed at those who oppose his views and the “send them back” chants should chill anyone with a modicum of social awareness with fear.

He's a right wing troll/apologist. There's no point trying to persuade him or others like hypochondriac. They send each other PMs celebrating who've they managed to wind up. They likely have unresolved issues with their genitalia.

Edited by Jonnyboy

You sound like some sort of virtue-signaling liberal type. Perhaps Saints web isn't the right place for you?

Little obsessed with me which is quite sweet although your bitterness shines through your pretence of being the leftie good guy. So I worry you might actually do me harm. Glad we have gun control here.

It is all very well Trump, the NRA and gun lobbyists saying that guns aren’t the problem, people are but they are deliberately ignoring the point that it is a lot easier to kill people with guns (as the Americans demonstrate with monotonous regularity). These shootings will not stop until they do something substantial about gun control. Trump had the temerity to have a pop at Kahn regarding knife crime in London the other day. Yes, we have a problem, but is nothing in comparison to the regular carnage in shopping malls and schools in the USA. Grow a pair Donald. Stop sucking up to the NRA and do something about your ridiculous obsession with gun ownership.

It is all very well Trump, the NRA and gun lobbyists saying that guns aren’t the problem, people are but they are deliberately ignoring the point that it is a lot easier to kill people with guns (as the Americans demonstrate with monotonous regularity). These shootings will not stop until they do something substantial about gun control. Trump had the temerity to have a pop at Kahn regarding knife crime in London the other day. Yes, we have a problem, but is nothing in comparison to the regular carnage in shopping malls and schools in the USA. Grow a pair Donald. Stop sucking up to the NRA and do something about your ridiculous obsession with gun ownership.

Even if they banned guns altogether it wouldn't change much. Isn't there about 400m guns in circulation? God knows how many unregistered. Even if a gun amnesty people I would think wouldn't hand them in.

Such a deep rooted problem with no real solution. Puts me off living there which is a shame as many parts of the country is great.

Also any politician who has the balls to even ban guns would be causing political suicide. End of the days they generally look after no1.

Even if they banned guns altogether it wouldn't change much. Isn't there about 400m guns in circulation? God knows how many unregistered. Even if a gun amnesty people I would think wouldn't hand them in.

Such a deep rooted problem with no real solution. Puts me off living there which is a shame as many parts of the country is great.

Also any politician who has the balls to even ban guns would be causing political suicide. End of the days they generally look after no1.

I agree. They could start with automatic and semi-automatic weapons though. It will not be easy but they need to make a start and send a message that things are changing.

It wouldn't end the epidemic but it would at least prevent known psychos from purchasing their tools of destruction so easily and legally, and limit what non diagnosed psychos could buy (ie not semi automatics).

Someone hellbent on a shooting spree, determined to get tooled up, will always, potentially, have the means to do so (no matter what checks are put into place).

It's those flirting with the idea of semi auto ownership, if they were no longer available legally, might be put off. A lot of the time, the shooters are socially backward and naive and have no contact with an illegal black market to call upon.

This will never happen. With so many guns in circulation, can we even propose that no one has the right to defend themselves with a handgun?

Assault weapons ban? Can and hopefully will be done, it's been done before. It'll probably need a Democratic majority in the Senate though.

They are either:

a) unbelievably thick; or

b) nasty ****s.

Either way, I never cease to be amazed by the amount of utter ****-heads in USA.

Im not condoning this at all but do they do this to criminals whatever the colour of skin???

https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-7309869/Girl-3-kidnapped-Indian-railway-station-gang-raped-beheaded.html What is wrong with the world when these things happen? I read about this yesterday and it really affected me. I really hope these people who parade themselves as human have the most untold pain put on them for the rest of their mortal lives

I dunno about the gun violence, but I certainly do blame video games for all the people around here jumping about dressed as Italian plumbers.

My wife started putting on weight when pacman was popular.

Coincidence? I think not.

It seems most Americans do not understand that their constitutional rights are about what the government can and can not di to its citizens. It does not tell you of your rights on private property. So you do not have a constitutional right to take a gun into someones elses property, although there might be state laws meaning that a property owner cannot deny you carrying a weapon (the NRA were pushing these kinds of laws a few years ago)

What is wrong with America ?

It is full of d!ckheads like this;

https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-us-canada-49303879

A man walked into a Walmart store wearing body armour and carrying a loaded automatic rifle and pistol - to "test his second amendment rights". ( It was a Walmart store that got shot up in El Paso ).

They need to arm the check out staff so idiots like this can be shot in the head. Don’t look for the complex solution.

I expect the NRA to,put up his bail.

Edited by whelk

Here is part of an article written by Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center.

Make of it what you will.

Around the same time that the media was focused on the mass shootings in El Paso and Dayton,

60 people were shot in Chicago over the weekend. 24 of those people were shot in four hours.

Baltimore reached its 200th murder victim of the year during its “Ceasefire Weekend”.

4 people were killed in 4 days in Kansas City. 6 men were shot in Philly during the filming of a rap video.

Even in Toronto, 15 people were wounded in shootings over the weekend. Over 350 people have been

shot this year in the Canadian city which has gun control, no NRA, and none of the usual excuses.

Looking at the data from the Mass Shooting Tracker, widely utilized by the media, as of this writing, of

the 72 mass shooters, perpetrators in shootings that killed or wounded 4 or more people, whose race

is known, 21 were white, 37 were black, 8 were Latino, and 6 were members of other groups.

51% of mass shooters in 2019 were black, 29% were white, and 11% were Latino. Three mass shooters

were Asian, two were American Indian and one was Arab.

These numbers are if anything vastly understated. As many as half of the mass shootings that took place

in 2019 thus far remain unsolved, but they often took place in black areas and claimed black victims.

White people make up 61% of the country’s population, followed by Hispanics at 17.8%, and African-Americans

at 12.7%. In that context, white people are actually dramatically under represented among mass shooters,

as are Latinos, while African-Americans are highly over represented.

Its pretty basic - but you should not only need a licence to own a gun but also purchase ammunition. In some (most? all?) states you can load up your cart with shotgun shells and magnum 357s and pay at the checkout along with your Cheetos.

That assertion is often made, but can they actually do that? I'm not arguing the point, just interested as I find it hard to accept that it really is as straightforward as picking up a gun and ammunition in a supermarket, presenting a nectar card and paying the bill. Does this really happen in the States?

That assertion is often made, but can they actually do that? I'm not arguing the point, just interested as I find it hard to accept that it really is as straightforward as picking up a gun and ammunition in a supermarket, presenting a nectar card and paying the bill. Does this really happen in the States?
Here's an article from a couple of years back. It seems there are checks but they aren't hard to bypass if you want a gun.

https://www.euronews.com/2017/11/08/how-easy-is-it-to-purchase-a-firearm-in-the-us

Sent from my moto g(6) using Tapatalk

Individual states vary greatly and the only two states where I have personal experience of guns are Minnesota and Florida. In Minnesota you can walk in and buy a rifle off the shelf although you do need a permit for a handgun. Ammunition is right there on the shelves next to the fishing gear in local Walmarts. Florida have pretty much no restrictions of any kind. You can buy guns, including handguns, assault rifles and 50 cal sniper rifles with no checks whatsoever.

Edited by buctootim

My mate's wife is from the Florida/Georgia border.

He has been over there countless times and is still stunned at their big supermarkets. Load up your trolley with kids toys, food and a few bullets. No drama.

In one of my part time jobs I get to man the gun department during the proper gun guy's lunch break. (I'm not allowed to sell them, just play with them)

I just have to stand there playing with the hand guns and AR 15s while I think quietly to myself WTF! Just how much do you really know me? It may as well be the kid's toys section, and in many ways it is!

I actually like guns, they are cool and make loud noises, but I dont think I should be allowed to have one pretty much based on my lack of respect for common sense.

Edited by Ohio Saint

Here is part of an article written by Daniel Greenfield, a Shillman Journalism Fellow at the Freedom Center.

Make of it what you will.

Daniel Greenfield is a shit journalist? Or have you cut n' pasted parts of the original article to make him look that way?

• 1 month later...

A man accidentally shot dead his son-in-law after mistaking him for an intruder when he flew thousands of miles to surprise him.

Christopher Bergan, 37, flew 4,500 miles from Norway to Florida to surprise his wife's dad, Richard Dennis, for his 61st birthday.

But when he jumped out of bushes in Mr Dennis's back garden, the older man mistook Mr Bergan for an intruder and shot him.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/man-accidentally-shoots-dead-son-in-law-after-mistaking-him-for-intruder-when-he-flew-thousands-of-miles-to-surprise-him/ar-AAIgjok?ocid=spartandhp

A man accidentally shot dead his son-in-law after mistaking him for an intruder when he flew thousands of miles to surprise him.

Christopher Bergan, 37, flew 4,500 miles from Norway to Florida to surprise his wife's dad, Richard Dennis, for his 61st birthday.

But when he jumped out of bushes in Mr Dennis's back garden, the older man mistook Mr Bergan for an intruder and shot him.

https://www.msn.com/en-gb/news/world/man-accidentally-shoots-dead-son-in-law-after-mistaking-him-for-intruder-when-he-flew-thousands-of-miles-to-surprise-him/ar-AAIgjok?ocid=spartandhp

See if there were more guns, that wouldn't have happened.

Erm...

Just read it - no charges as it was accidental??? Surely that's manslaughter at the very least???