Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Why his goals at end of season kept us up how many million did that add to our coffers

If he hadn’t been awful for several years before hand, we wouldn’t need ‘keeping up’.

He’s a 3 goal a season striker, who got a couple extra from lucky deflections against Leicester and Bournemouth. That’s it.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
No, will do a job lower down but if we have ambitions of mid table or higher then we need better.

Did you watch the game? Because supersaint specifically asked about his performance today. All comments about him in the PreSeason thread are positive, yet yours would probably best be described as a general assessment of him. Hence why I ask.

I didn't see todays game, but everything I have seen of Reed points to a player who could be excellent cover this season. If we don't reinforce the defensive midfield then he slots in well as a tenacious more mobile version of Romeu.

I didn't see todays game, but everything I have seen of Reed points to a player who could be excellent cover this season. If we don't reinforce the defensive midfield then he slots in well as a tenacious more mobile version of Romeu.

This. Will miss Romeu's aerial part of the game though.

Did you watch the game? Because supersaint specifically asked about his performance today. All comments about him in the PreSeason thread are positive, yet yours would probably best be described as a general assessment of him. Hence why I ask.

Yes I watched the game and my point was based on what I witnessed from that game as well as the past.

Yes I watched the game and my point was based on what I witnessed from that game as well as the past.
What part of his performance in this game do you feel was lacking? Because it seems your opinion is somewhat at odds with most other people who watched the game and thought he played well.

What part of his performance in this game do you feel was lacking? Because it seems your opinion is somewhat at odds with most other people who watched the game and thought he played well.

Positional sense.

There was often a gaping hole in front of the CB's in the 2nd half, where Feyonord's forced 2 good saves out of McCarthy. Romeu/Scheiderlin/Wanyama wpold have occupied that space, but Reed did not.

He could do a job alongside Romeu, but if not we would be wide open .

Positional sense.

There was often a gaping hole in front of the CB's in the 2nd half, where Feyonord's forced 2 good saves out of McCarthy. Romeu/Scheiderlin/Wanyama wpold have occupied that space, but Reed did not.

He could do a job alongside Romeu, but if not we would be wide open .

Thanks.

My question to northam soul might have sounded a bit curt, but the forum can be decent if you can cut separate the informed posts from the swathes of cr@p!

While I'd be nervous of having Reed as our first CM option in the event of injuries or suspensions, I wouldn't mind having him as occasional cover. He's impressed more than disappointed me when he's played, and most of that was before his series of successful loans in the Championship.

He had a pretty decent game, covered a lot of ground and for me it has to be noted he was playing alongside a team of back up players as opposed fitting into the first eleven. IMHO he would probably be a decent cover.

• 2 weeks later...
Monitoring his progress?? He's 24 now' date=' surely we should've worked out now that he's not top flight level??[/quote']

Yep. Decent player but not quite premier league level. Hopefully he'll have a good season there and get himself a permanent move to a good championship club.

You can't help but feel sorry for the lad, plenty of clubs want him on loan but none it seems prepared to do the decent thing and offer him a decent contract to secure his future. It is also obvious that he has no future here despite the fact that he fits in well with the first team squad.

Surely his transfer fee and wage demands cannot be so great as to make him unaffordable by the clubs who want him especially for clubs like Fulham flush with parachute money?

Saints owe it to Harrison Reed to get his future sorted out once and for all. He gives his all to the clubs he represents and always plays with a smile. In short he's a decent lad and a model professional. Eternal loan deals are unfair to him, he deserves more.

You can't help but feel sorry for the lad, plenty of clubs want him on loan but none it seems prepared to do the decent thing and offer him a decent contract to secure his future. It is also obvious that he has no future here despite the fact that he fits in well with the first team squad.

Surely his transfer fee and wage demands cannot be so great as to make him unaffordable by the clubs who want him especially for clubs like Fulham flush with parachute money?

Saints owe it to Harrison Reed to get his future sorted out once and for all. He gives his all to the clubs he represents and always plays with a smile. In short he's a decent lad and a model professional. Eternal loan deals are unfair to him, he deserves more.

This in spades

Really good post. With Lemina's situation I had hoped Reed would get his chance in DM this season - I still think he is good enough at Prem level. A pity Norwich didn't sign him up. Hope he has a good season at the Cottage.

I get your angle Charlie but don’t you think the reason he still has a current contract with us (at 24/25?) is that we keep offering him a better one than he can get elsewhere - if he ran it down and left on a free for a new permanent contract somewhere then would it be bigger? It’s not a case of us blocking or stopping him. Clubs don’t want to buy him without a look first and then don’t sufficiently like what they see to commit.

I think saints have done right by the lad.

Tony Mowbray revealed Rovers were unable to compete with the ‘financial power’ of Fulham after missing out on Harrison Reed: https://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/rovers/news/17832521.mowbray-missing-rovers-transfer-target-fulham/

The Rovers fans gave him a big welcome at Craven Cottage on Saturday. They obviously liked him. He came on for the last 12 minutes and was tidily efficient.

I really don't understand why he isn't with our squad. Assuming Lemina won't play again, we are painfully weak in midfield.

He's not good enough and it's not helping the lad to keep him around just in case he gets a few minutes here and there.

He's not good enough and it's not helping the lad to keep him around just in case he gets a few minutes here and there.

He’s had two very good stints with Championship clubs and was one of two recognisable defensive midfielders we had in the squad. He absolutely would have got game time with us this season as we’re light in midfield as it is. If we hadn’t signed Danso, who can also operate as a defensive midfielder, I’d have been questioning this more than I have. I guess this is make or break season with a Fulham side I think will win the League.

I bet we lose Cedric before September, and this loan would look even more puzzling as Reed played RWB for Norwich. On the plus side it must mean Ralph has faith in Slattery, who has become 3rd choice central midfielder. (If you consider JWP and Armstrong more as attacking midfielders.)

He’s had two very good stints with Championship clubs and was one of two recognisable defensive midfielders we had in the squad. He absolutely would have got game time with us this season as we’re light in midfield as it is. If we hadn’t signed Danso, who can also operate as a defensive midfielder, I’d have been questioning this more than I have. I guess this is make or break season with a Fulham side I think will win the League.

I bet we lose Cedric before September, and this loan would look even more puzzling as Reed played RWB for Norwich. On the plus side it must mean Ralph has faith in Slattery, who has become 3rd choice central midfielder. (If you consider JWP and Armstrong more as attacking midfielders.)

Exactly.

It's going to be round pegs in square holes if Romeu or Valery gets injured.

Is a 20 yr old centre back really going to be good enough on the ball to play CM in the PL? Slattery has always been more of a "10" or "8" than a deep midfielder.

You question whether Slattery is good enough but advocate playing a 24 year old who, if good enough, would have made it by now. Having Slattery as our main back up doesn’t suddenly make Reed a PL player.

I don’t believe he played as a defensive midfielder for Blackburn either.

I like his spirit, but he doesn’t have the reading of the game to play DM in the Championship, and definitely won’t have in the PL.

You question whether Slattery is good enough but advocate playing a 24 year old who, if good enough, would have made it by now. Having Slattery as our main back up doesn’t suddenly make Reed a PL player.

Not sure if you're talking to me or not. I don't question whether Slattery is good enough. I don't know that yet. I'm saying he has never played as a deep midfield player or a "destructive" midfielder and therefore isn't really cover for Romeu or Hojbjerg. He's more like cover for Ward Prowse.

Someone who is a proven good Championship player and who is more similar to those players would be useful to have in our squad.

Not sure if you're talking to me or not. I don't question whether Slattery is good enough. I don't know that yet. I'm saying he has never played as a deep midfield player or a "destructive" midfielder and therefore isn't really cover for Romeu or Hojbjerg. He's more like cover for Ward Prowse.

Someone who is a proven good Championship player and who is more similar to those players would be useful to have in our squad.

I was. I agree that we're short at defensive mid but I just don't think Reed is up to standard. Slattery is more of an 8 or 10 so he won't offer cover for defensive midfield and and as you say he's more likely to cover more attack minded players. Reed's level is the championship and he's probably a decent cash cow - cost us nothing but other clubs pay him and give us a loan fee. Hopefully he'll do well again this season and get himself a decent move.

I don’t believe he played as a defensive midfielder for Blackburn either.

I like his spirit, but he doesn’t have the reading of the game to play DM in the Championship, and definitely won’t have in the PL.

I was under the impression they were strong in that position and he played in a more advance right mid role. Gradually through the season though he pushed out the established CM pairing and played there. Deffo could be wrong though but remember seeing somehting along those lines somewher

I think we had banked on selling Lemina in the window, as one of our few 'saleable' assets. If we'd have sold him, I reckon we'd have seen a new DM come in.

As it is, we'll probably end up loaning Lemina out, which leaves ourselves glaringly weak in DM/CM. I was in the 'a new DM is arguably a more pressing need than a CB' camp during the window, and I still think this (even after the Burnley defensive shambles).

I think we had banked on selling Lemina in the window, as one of our few 'saleable' assets. If we'd have sold him, I reckon we'd have seen a new DM come in.

As it is, we'll probably end up loaning Lemina out, which leaves ourselves glaringly weak in DM/CM. I was in the 'a new DM is arguably a more pressing need than a CB' camp during the window, and I still think this (even after the Burnley defensive shambles).

The inability to shift Lemina is the issue. Hopefully someone will buy before the window closes and it might allow us to relook at the position in Jan.

While hardly ideal i think we thought with Danso he could cover Romeu if we needed a like for like replacement. I know people in the past have also suggested stephens for the role too.

The inability to shift Lemina is the issue. Hopefully someone will buy before the window closes and it might allow us to relook at the position in Jan.

While hardly ideal i think we thought with Danso he could cover Romeu if we needed a like for like replacement. I know people in the past have also suggested stephens for the role too.

Stephens is not a DM. He has NEVER played there.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed