Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Stephens is not a DM. He has NEVER played there.

He has, he played there whilst he was on loan at Swindon I think it was. He was pretty crap. I really have no idea why people think he’d make a good defensive midfielder. It seems to be based on the fact has okay on the ball. It’s on thing to carry the ball ten yards with the whole game in front of you, quite another to do it in a central midfield battle with players flying in from all angles. Good defensive midfielders also need to be able to read the game and be very good positionally, Stephens isn’t much good at either. He’s simply not good enough.

He has, he played there whilst he was on loan at Swindon I think it was. He was pretty crap. I really have no idea why people think he’d make a good defensive midfielder. It seems to be based on the fact has okay on the ball. It’s on thing to carry the ball ten yards with the whole game in front of you, quite another to do it in a central midfield battle with players flying in from all angles. Good defensive midfielders also need to be able to read the game and be very good positionally, Stephens isn’t much good at either. He’s simply not good enough.

Given the fact he causes chaos in the penalty area, maybe we should try him up front?

• 9 months later...

Worth noting that Fulham have the option to make permanent so even if his performance levels are at a point where we might want him back it could be out of our hands:

The Club is delighted to announce the signing of midfielder Harrison Reed from Southampton, subject to clearance.

Reed joins Fulham on a season-long loan deal, which could be made permanent at a later date.

https://www.fulhamfc.com/news/2019/august/08/harrison-reed-arrives-at-fulham

8 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

He’s done well there.  He’s 25 now and needs a permanent move, IMO. 

I think he’d do a job for us, but we should be looking higher. 

Should be looking higher, and actually looking and being able to afford higher are two very different things. He now sounds like exactly the type of championship player we actually look at...

1 hour ago, SW5 SAINT said:

Should be looking higher, and actually looking and being able to afford higher are two very different things. He now sounds like exactly the type of championship player we actually look at...

He's done well for himself.  He's had to graft at all the clubs he's been at to prove himself.

Norwich / Blackburn / Fulham have given him some really good experience.  I'm surprised he didn't get loaned out earlier in his career by us.

14 hours ago, SuperSAINT said:

He's done well for himself.  He's had to graft at all the clubs he's been at to prove himself.

Norwich / Blackburn / Fulham have given him some really good experience.  I'm surprised he didn't get loaned out earlier in his career by us.

Indeed, it doesn't seem like Saints have handled his development very well. I hadn't realized he was 25, thougyht he was much younger. Either he needs to be involved with the first team or be moved on.

1 hour ago, Danbert said:

Indeed, it doesn't seem like Saints have handled his development very well. I hadn't realized he was 25, thougyht he was much younger. Either he needs to be involved with the first team or be moved on.

Why do we hang onto him? Another of those gold plated Reed contracts of 4 1/2 years.

Just do a deal with the Cottagers and get some money back. He was always too slow on the ball and in his decision making which didn't work in the Premier League as we saw when he played for us. No way would he be able to cope with Ralph's ever more frenetic style of football?

6 hours ago, Charlie Wayman said:

Why do we hang onto him? Another of those gold plated Reed contracts of 4 1/2 years.

Just do a deal with the Cottagers and get some money back. He was always too slow on the ball and in his decision making which didn't work in the Premier League as we saw when he played for us. No way would he be able to cope with Ralph's ever more frenetic style of football?

If we get his wages covered and a loan fee, which I understand is what has happened with Reed, then his contract makes a lot of sense. As things stand, we'll either have him back or sell him. Not bad business really, but the lad has definitely had an odd career and imo hasn't maximised his talent. 

Edited by egg

• 2 weeks later...

Can't imagine he would be keen on a return to St Mary's. Fulham fans love him, we've just farmed him out on loan every season, he'll either move on a perm to Fulham or back on loan and run his contract down.

1 hour ago, Baird of the land said:

Don't see the value in loaning him back there. Surely another promoted club would be interested in purchasing him even if Fulham aren't promoted,  a bit like the Targett situation

They have an option to buy.

1 hour ago, SuperSAINT said:

Yeah, would be interesting to know.
The link is above - posted by Mozz.  It’s from the Fulham OS.

"Reed joins Fulham on a season-long loan deal, which could be made permanent at a later date."

Is that definitely an option to buy? 

3 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

"Reed joins Fulham on a season-long loan deal, which could be made permanent at a later date."

That's usually the sort of wording they use when it's an option to buy, doesn't sound like a set arranged transfer like we had with Ings, more of an option if they are able to.

Could be all sorts of requirements around it though - only kicks in if they get promoted etc, but it sounds like they have an option of sorts. Would be interested to know what we valued him at.

Obviously it's still relying on him agreeing to move their on a perm though, he doesn't have to. He could have plenty of suitors.

Edited by S-Clarke

5 minutes ago, Saint Troy said:

I know what you mean, but it sounds like an option to me.

i know what you mean - there must be something there - think i just feel he has something from what ive seen, and sounds like the recent reports show hes doiing well - albeit in championship - i think im just hoping he stays and proves his worth 

Man of the match tonight for Fulham by the sounds of it - trending on Twitter because it’s full of Fulham fans pleading for their club to sign him permanently. A number of shouts of ‘Ginger Kante’ and being better than Kalvin Phillips. I was always surprised Ralph didn’t take a closer look, he seems on the face of it to be a perfect fit for our style. 

18 minutes ago, saintwbu said:

Man of the match tonight for Fulham by the sounds of it - trending on Twitter because it’s full of Fulham fans pleading for their club to sign him permanently. A number of shouts of ‘Ginger Kante’ and being better than Kalvin Phillips. I was always surprised Ralph didn’t take a closer look, he seems on the face of it to be a perfect fit for our style. 

If Ralph doesn’t want to take a look, there will be no shortage of takers for him.

On 10/07/2020 at 23:04, SuperSAINT said:

If Ralph doesn’t want to take a look, there will be no shortage of takers for him.

Pony. 

They’ll be no clubs finishing above us this season wanting to sign him. I doubt there’s any current premier league side, bar the bottom 3 that’ll be interested . 

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

Pony. 

They’ll be no clubs finishing above us this season wanting to sign him. I doubt there’s any current premier league side, bar the bottom 3 that’ll be interested . 

Championship clubs :) 

1 hour ago, Nolan said:

We will need a replacement for Pierre.

why on earth sign someone when we've got someone who is solid in defence and his link up play on the books?

Can you imagine the meltdown on here is we sell PEH for 30m and his replacement is Harry Reed?!

Just now, Suhari said:

Can you imagine the meltdown on here is we sell PEH for 30m and his replacement is Harry Reed?!

If i'm truly honest I don't believe the club will 'replace' Pierre. They will use those funds in other areas, and look to the likes of Smallbone/Jankewitz and possibly Reed to fill that role.

2 hours ago, Suhari said:

We need centre backs, KWP or other RB and someone to deputise for Bertrand (if Vokins isn't quite ready)

I'd rather 30 mill went in that direction.

11 minutes ago, LeG said:

The club share the same view as you. 

I hope not. We needed a midfielder prior to PEH being sold, if he goes and we don’t replace him that would be bizarre.

Propping up one of the most important positions in Ralph’s system with untested youth players is a recipe for disaster.

9 minutes ago, ErwinK1961 said:

I hope not. We needed a midfielder prior to PEH being sold, if he goes and we don’t replace him that would be bizarre.

Propping up one of the most important positions in Ralph’s system with untested youth players is a recipe for disaster.

Harrison Reed is older than Hojbjerg! He is 25 years old and has a lot of 1st team games in the last 3 seasons under his belt now.

Edited by Matthew Le God
  • Like 1

3 minutes ago, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s not good enough 

Are you sure? He has been extremely impressive recently from the few Fulham games I've seen on TV. Have you considered he may have now have improved to a level he could be useful for us?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Just now, Lord Duckhunter said:

He’s not good enough 

I don't know, it's a tricky one.

I think if we were looking at it if he wasn't our player, we'd be kind of happy to be linked with one of the best championship midfielders.

But I guess we've seen him at this level before and he has flittered in and out a bit. He could just be a very good Championship player and no more, but the club will know that better than us.

19 minutes ago, SuperSAINT said:

Would you replace Hojbjerg, MLG?

I haven't really seen enough of Reed recently to know if he has improved to the level we need. But in the Fulham games I have seen on TV recently he has performed extremely well for one of the best teams in that league.

Signing another player blocks pathways for Jankewitz and Smallbone. If Reed is considered good enough we can use Ward-Prowse, Reed & Romeu and develop Smallbone and Jankewitz. That gives a good mix of experience and youth.

Edited by Matthew Le God

12 minutes ago, Matthew Le God said:

I haven't really seen enough of Reed recently to know if he has improved to the level we need. But in the Fulham games I have seen on TV recently he has performed extremely well for one of the best teams in that league.

Signing another player blocks pathways for Jankewitz  and Smallbone. If Reed is considered good enough we can use Ward-Prowse, Reed & Romeu and develop Smallbone and Jankewitz.

Very true.  I suppose it depends if he tactically fits what Ralph wants.  It could always be situation where we just offload him to bring the cash in.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed