Harrison Reed - Official: Signs for Fulham

washsaint

Very early days for the lad, but boy does he look a great prospect.

He chases and harries in midfield and provides a real energy to the team. Could be some player for us.

Good to see that the conveyor belt continues to churn out talent, with Hesketh, McCarthy, Taggert, Reed and Gape all making debuts in the Prem this season.

He does all that... but what I like most is if he doesn't win a challenge, or makes a mistake, he tries and makes up for it, he doesn't stop. And when he does win the ball he doesn't try and be too clever with it, he moves it on quickly. His positioning is also very good, he immediately gets back into a good position ready to go again.

With Morgan out, there were time early in this game where we were desperately missing somebody like him or Reed. Somebody to hurry and hustle Arsenal and somebody to link up play simply and efficiently, making themselves available for the pass. If he carries on like this and gets more game time, I'll be a lot less concerned when Morgan inevitably (IMO) moves on next summer.

Was well impressed, didn't give tgive the midfield arse players a second breather when he came on. Proper terrier. If Morgan goes for 30m then we have a ready made replacement waiting in the wings and the money can be spent on another striker.

One of the advantages to having Reed to come in instead of a foreign import is that Reed was here in the MoPo days and so is up to the fitness standards he required of the squad. With the intensity of the league some midfielders can flag towards the end of 90 minutes; I don't think that's going to be a problem here.

• 1 month later...
I thought Reed was excellent today. West Ham not really having a midfield probably helped but he was class.

If Morgan goes for £20million+ I dont think we should bother shelling out for another CM.

Yep, all over the place tonight winning everything, I've said a few times he's Morgan's replacement, him and vic totally dominated. Reads the game well, tackles tell and does the simple passes well, he is quickly becoming my favourite player.

Yep, all over the place tonight winning everything, I've said a few times he's Morgan's replacement, him and vic totally dominated. Reads the game well, tackles tell and does the simple passes well, he is quickly becoming my favourite player.

Not just great defensive play, but made a few visionary attacking passes too....

I remember Davis once said that one of his roles was also to nurture and help with the development of the young CMs, who would eventually take over him. While JWP has been seen as the next one, I think Reed may actually overtake him.

Seems to offer much more, and unlike JWP seems to have a carved out his main tactical role as a good defensive CM with good and resolute passing and vision.

When he gets subbed, I don't think we play better, in fact the opposite as was very noticeable to me at least vs Swansea. I was wondering what he would be like if he swapped every now and then with Davis? Alternating the defence/attack role.

Tonight was completely different from the Swansea game. Absolutely right decision to sub Reed. No need for two holding players, evidenced by the fact that Wham barely mustered a counterattack after the sending off. Unfortunate for the lad as he had a very good game.

True that there was no need for 2 holding midfielders, but I would have loved to have seen him push higher up in the position JWP took up.

Love watching him and hope to see much more of him in the years to come. One thing that impressed me and my old man this evening, was how quick he is to get up off the floor after a tackle and into the next one. He is very pugnacious (in a good way) and I do sometimes worry that he might be too so, but so far his timing has been great as well.

Top little defensive player that seems to get better every game, even competed reasonably well in the air despite his height disadvantage.

With him and the ever improving JWP its an exciting for Saints fans and makes me less worried about potentially losing another midfielder.

Ever improving ward worse? Are you sure? Think he's going backwards at mo tbh.

I hope he is on a long contract, he looks a fantastic player to me, I think he is better than JWP, I know they are different types of player but he looks more of a prospect at this stage.

I hope I'm wrong but JWP could end up being, for the older ones on here, another Neil Maddison. Full of promise and potential but never quite made the grade as he should.

Ever improving ward worse? Are you sure? Think he's going backwards at mo tbh.

Roger, I wouldnt expect you to notice a lad with obvious ability if he smashed a wrong footed volley in your gormless face from near on 30 yards to be honest.

He had a decent game when he came on last night, neat and tidy, creates chances and is generally a nuissence. Great little player

Roger, I wouldnt expect you to notice a lad with obvious ability if he smashed a wrong footed volley in your gormless face from near on 30 yards to be honest.

He had a decent game when he came on last night, neat and tidy, creates chances and is generally a nuissence. Great little player

What a complete tool you are. He's not been very good recently.

I thought Reed was excellent today. West Ham not really having a midfield probably helped but he was class.

If Morgan goes for £20million+ I dont think we should bother shelling out for another CM.

Agree with this, the money can be invested in areas of the team that do need strengthening, although I'd hope for more than £20m for Morgan.

I hope he is on a long contract, he looks a fantastic player to me, I think he is better than JWP, I know they are different types of player but he looks more of a prospect at this stage.

I hope I'm wrong but JWP could end up being, for the older ones on here, another Neil Maddison. Full of promise and potential but never quite made the grade as he should.

As time passes I think more people will be agreeing with you; I already do.

Tonight was completely different from the Swansea game. Absolutely right decision to sub Reed. No need for two holding players, evidenced by the fact that Wham barely mustered a counterattack after the sending off. Unfortunate for the lad as he had a very good game.

One of the biggest problems we had yesterday was the massive gap in the middle of the park when we had the ball in our own half. So many backwards passes when Schneiderlin would have been showing and taking a touch and progressing us up the pitch. Instead we held play up, nudged it sideways, let West Ham reorganise, and then tried to break them down. Some of that was Reed not being available and taking responsibility a little more in his own half - but I guess that's the learning curve and he's not going to find out without getting games.

A little more urgency on the ball, some earlier crosses to force their defenders to face their own goal, and a little bit more nous in the central midfield positions and we'd have probably been 2 points better off.

Slightly disappointed that we took so long pulling the second DM off the pitch when Allardyce hoiked Valencia at half time in response to the complete failure of their 3 up top and decided to add a more defensively capable wide player in Jarvis because they weren't getting or keeping the ball. It was like West Brom at home all over again except this time we were at least creating half-chances.

Shame we didn't get the break, overall a pretty decent performance with some terrible choices in the penalty area.

What a complete tool you are. He's not been very good recently.

We all know that JWP has potential and some played well many times, but it's clear to see recently he has been really off his game, especially with his shooting. Don't worry Roger, look at the user you are talking to, then realise it's not worth the bother!

• 6 months later...
I get the feeling old ronald does not rate him too much

He made a claim after the Everton home game last season that his best position is in front of the back three. I'd imagine that would severely decrease his chances of being a starter in our team. However Reed also played an important part in January when we were down to the bare bones and be played very well as a part of a DM two in that period when we had to grind out some results at Ipswich and Newcastle.

• Lighthouse changed the title to Harrison Reed