Unfunny comedians

sadoldgit

Stewart Lee did a bit about observational comedians the other night, mimicking their funny walks and shouting jokes in attempt to extract humour from banal material. He was 100 times funnier than any of them.

My comedy hero - takes comedy to another level, almost to the point that it stops being comedy and becomes reality.

Stewart Lee did a bit about observational comedians the other night, mimicking their funny walks and shouting jokes in attempt to extract humour from banal material. He was 100 times funnier than any of them.

There is probably some irony in the fact that he was doing material on that kind of thing nearly twenty odd years ago on TMWRNJ (TMWRNJ) in a recurring feature called Lazy Boring Comedy Slags.

I imagine the bottom of the bin is actually some bellend at an open mic night somewhere.

McIntyre rules the comedy world in terms of money, politics and opening doors yes. But it's lazy material. Fine to like whatever you want, but mainstream comedy is for people who aren't that into comedy. If you watch a lot of it, you start to see just how lazy some of these acts are. Old material, tedious observational stuff, teams of writers and little in common with the people they're playing to.

Same with many things, I mean look at the charts, or any of the most popular foods in a supermarket. Popularity will never mean quality.

I would say 'that's your opinion, and not one that I share'. McIntyre's act is all about observational comedy, yes, so it's real life, and reflects what we all face but sometimes take for granted. Take his piece on online application and booking tickets for the cinema. We all face it, we all accept it, but he presents it in a hilarious way. I'd much rather watch real comedy than stupidity and obscenity. Expleting everywhere is not funny.

I genuinely don't understand how anybody could possibly find michael mcintyre funny. I know it's all about personal taste and sense of humour, but I don't remember doing anything but cringe whenever I've seen his act. To me, he makes miranda hart seem like a comedy genius.

Yes and no. McIntyre is funny and a lot of people think so, as his shows sold out in minutes. Can't comment on Miranda Hart. To me, she is an actress on 'Call The Midwife', never seen her comedy series.

Yes and no. McIntyre is funny and a lot of people think so, as his shows sold out in minutes. Can't comment on Miranda Hart. To me, she is an actress on 'Call The Midwife', never seen her comedy series.

Lots of people find Mrs Brown's Boys hysterical. Doesn't make them right.

Lots of people find Mrs Brown's Boys hysterical. Doesn't make them right.

Doesn't make them wrong either. There's no such thing as 'right' or 'wrong' when it comes to personal taste in 'the arts'. (Said trousers stating the obvious for once)

:)

• 7 months later...

bland, generic wannabe middle class "comedy" to appeal to thick masses who like whatever they are told to like by the media. I remember sitting through one of his shows on telly as my brother and sister in law find him hilarious, they insisted when we were over there one night I watch it to see just how side splittingly hilarious he was. I don't think I laughed once, it was just stupid, they were in fits of laughter at some story about how a jar of spice at the back of the cupboard would be jealous of a spice at the front of the cupboard, it was just bizarre and about as funny as a Chinese burn. His act seemed to be based around shaking his head and talking in a stupid voice. You can guarantee that people who are his fans also like things like Ant and Dec, Friends, X-Factor and so on.

bland, generic wannabe middle class "comedy" to appeal to thick masses who like whatever they are told to like by the media. I remember sitting through one of his shows on telly as my brother and sister in law find him hilarious, they insisted when we were over there one night I watch it to see just how side splittingly hilarious he was. I don't think I laughed once, it was just stupid, they were in fits of laughter at some story about how a jar of spice at the back of the cupboard would be jealous of a spice at the front of the cupboard, it was just bizarre and about as funny as a Chinese burn. His act seemed to be based around shaking his head and talking in a stupid voice. You can guarantee that people who are his fans also like things like Ant and Dec, Friends, X-Factor and so on.

Hey, now don't diss Friends!!!

There is no doubting his appeal to a number of people, but along with others, I find him completely unfunny and his comedy routine very poor. I have tried and did spend time watching and/or listening to him, but had to give up as he irritates me and I find I just want to give him a good kicking.

Mrs Browns Boys are here in NZ next March and as my wife really loves them I agreed

to go with her. ( I am only trying to get brownie points as I can't stand them ).

Luckily she has decided that $210 for the cheapest, miles from the stage, seats is far

too much. The "best" seats are nearly $500!!!! Mind you virtually all seats have been

sold and so there is talk of an additional show the next night so some obviously do like

them.

I am pleased to read that Mrs Brown is not that popular with other posters but I am

probably in a minority of one as I just don't find Ricky Gervais even mildly amusing.

I am pleased to read that Mrs Brown is not that popular with other posters but I am

probably in a minority of one as I just don't find Ricky Gervais even mildly amusing.

Make that a minority of two.

Mrs Brown follows the same principle as The Liver Birds, if the cast say anything in an accent the viewing public are expected to find amusing they will laugh at anything ( especially the more hysterical and loud the script is delivered).

As for Ricky Gervais, whenever I've seen him I'm left questioning "is this even supposed to be humour?".

I find Gervais very annoying and smug these days. Cannot deny his genius though.

Haven't read all this thread but Mrs Brown Boys looks unbearable. As does Citizen Khan

Utter trash TV - horrendous programs that are extremely unfunny. You have to wonder who is watching them (and finding them funny)?c

Agree on Gervais too, he's become an up his own backside, bore.

Utter trash TV - horrendous programs that are extremely unfunny. You have to wonder who is watching them (and finding them funny)?c

Agree on Gervais too, he's become an up his own backside, bore.

Extras, The Office and some bits on Comic Relief as well as XFM are the only decent things he has done. Pretty much all turd since Extras.

That will be Love thy Neighbour your watching then

I am alas easily old enough to remember (the now notorious) 'Love Thy Neighbour' and like much of the 1970's television I grew up with this series is now - quite understandably in 21st Century Britain - no longer considered fit for broadcast over here. So no, 'Love Thy Neighbour' is not a sit com that I could watch anymore - even if I wanted to.

Although thinking back on it, the black and white characters were actually equally prejudiced if I recall correctly and the white bigot Jack Smethurst portrayed may even have been the dumber of the two.

Edited by CHAPEL END CHARLIE

• 2 weeks later...
  • 8 months later...

Rhod Gilbert is alright, but I saw him do a horribly bad show at Green Man festival at the weekend. It was meant to be a Just A Minute style thing but quickly descended into farce with a lot of the packed crowd looking frankly embarrassed.

I was watching Cats does Countdown at the weekend. Normally it's a pretty good show but the 'comedian' they had in dictionary corner this week was dreadful. Some guy with goofy fake teeth and a wig, who's routine was basically just shouting utter nonsense in a silly high pitched voiced. Bill Hicks would be turning in his grave.

There are some other wastes of airtime on there too, like Rosin Conaughty.

Wow - no 'Not Going Out' but a listing for Miranda? No Friday Night Dinner?. Some of the inclusions suggest a pseuds vote.

Some of the inclusions suggest the poll was a "pick from this list" thing. People spontaneously suggested Raised by Wolves and Bad Education?

Surprised Count Arthur Strong so high but it was one of the few sitcoms recently that actually make physically laugh. Unlike other recent sitcoms I really like - Catastrophe, Toast, Dectectorists, Fleabag - that are pleasant/clever/well written but not actually hilarious.