Unfunny comedians

sadoldgit

Some of the inclusions suggest the poll was a "pick from this list" thing. People spontaneously suggested Raised by Wolves and Bad Education?

Surprised Count Arthur Strong so high but it was one of the few sitcoms recently that actually make physically laugh. Unlike other recent sitcoms I really like - Catastrophe, Toast, Dectectorists, Fleabag - that are pleasant/clever/well written but not actually hilarious.

Detectorists is a joy. So tucked away though and I missed it and so came to it late.

Should be on Beeb4 so much more

• 1 month later...
Some of the inclusions suggest the poll was a "pick from this list" thing. People spontaneously suggested Raised by Wolves and Bad Education?

Surprised Count Arthur Strong so high but it was one of the few sitcoms recently that actually make physically laugh. Unlike other recent sitcoms I really like - Catastrophe, Toast, Dectectorists, Fleabag - that are pleasant/clever/well written but not actually hilarious.

I find count arthur strong utterly unlistenable. He was quite funny as jilted john though.

I was watching Cats does Countdown at the weekend. Normally it's a pretty good show but the 'comedian' they had in dictionary corner this week was dreadful. Some guy with goofy fake teeth and a wig, who's routine was basically just shouting utter nonsense in a silly high pitched voiced. Bill Hicks would be turning in his grave.

There are some other wastes of airtime on there too, like Rosin Conaughty.

Oddly enough, I find her very funny, especially in that improvisational scenario. Lucy Porter is also excellent nowadays.

Don't venture away from the Saints board much but have been reading through all these pages and pleased that the last post wasn't months/years ago!

I'm a big fan of Mark Watson, not sure he's been mentioned - tends to meander through his act rather than 'telling jokes'. His radio show featuring Tim Minchin & Tim Key is also pretty good (not quite as good as the Ricky Gervais (Karl Pilkington) shows though...) Funny how some people are hilarious on panel shows, tv shows or snippets but an entire DVD is underwhelming - I am enough of a fan of Jack Dee and Jon Richardson to buy their DVDs but neither were as good as I'd hoped! David Mitchell may be the funniest person on panel shows in my book, him & Lee Mack are an excellent pairing on 'Would I Lie To You?', even if it is a fairly 'soft' show.

As the thread is about unfunny comedians (I agree about Corden & Lemon)... How about Shappi Khorsandi? Jokes about being a woman and being Iranian, but the common theme being that none of the jokes are funny.

Edited by mrfahaji

• 3 years later...

God Miranda......... Seems to think that anything she says or falls over is hilarious as she looks like a trans basketball player (huge respect to trans people I add) never seen an un funnier series!... Add reeves & Mortimer, Noel Fielding, Sarah millican & Michael McIntyre to the criminally unfunny list 

14 minutes ago, Mr X said:

God Miranda......... Seems to think that anything she says or falls over is hilarious as she looks like a trans basketball player (huge respect to trans people I add) never seen an un funnier series!... Add reeves & Mortimer, Noel Fielding, Sarah millican & Michael McIntyre to the criminally unfunny list 

Sarah Millican is hilariously unfunny. Saw her at Jongleurs 15+ years ago, and she's coming out with the same shite lines now. 

5 minutes ago, egg said:

Sarah Millican is hilariously unfunny. Saw her at Jongleurs 15+ years ago, and she's coming out with the same shite lines now. 

Yeah she seems to have made a career out of people thinking it's interesting cos it's delivered in a Geordie accent 

I went to see Sarah Millican two years ago.  went home at the interval - very unfunny.  Nish Kumar - Very unfunny.  Shappi Khorsandi - very unfunny

I like Sean Lock, Peter Kay, Sarah Pascoe amongst others.  I saw Trevor Noah on Telly the other day, really had me in stitches 

Edited by Batman

I don’t know if anyone else watches 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown but there was a comedian on last week who suffered from cerebral palsy. I don’t want to be cruel and I do admire her for not letting it stop her but it really was painfully awkward to watch.

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

I don’t know if anyone else watches 8 out of 10 Cats does Countdown but there was a comedian on last week who suffered from cerebral palsy. I don’t want to be cruel and I do admire her for not letting it stop her but it really was painfully awkward to watch.

It pains me to say it, but I'm the same. 

1 hour ago, Lighthouse said:

It wouldn’t be so bad if I could work out what she’s saying half the time.

And on the subject of unfunny comedians and 8 out of 10 cats, Jon Richardson gets my vote. It’s painful to watch.

8 minutes ago, Trader said:

It wouldn’t be so bad if I could work out what she’s saying half the time.

And on the subject of unfunny comedians and 8 out of 10 cats, Jon Richardson gets my vote. It’s painful to watch.

Yep, Jon Richardson is awful. Up there with Dara O'Briain and Harry Hill as clever blokes having a crack at comedy. 

Jon Richardson is alright. 

What annoys me a bit is the closed shop which TV comedy has become. You need the right agent or friends to get a look in. There's loads of great comics about, some who are far funnier than some of the people that turn up on panel shows week after week. 

Paul McCaffrey has been putting on some decent shows around Winchester during lockdown. He's very good and has booked some big names too. Romesh was there a couple of weeks ago (not a massive fan of but he is a huge name)

• Like 2

Not sure he's technically a comedian (although he does try to be funny) but John Oliver annoys the hell out of me.  For those who don't know he's the one who does "Last Week Tonight" on Sky.  I should be inclined to agree with him on most things given I'm a bit of a leftie but he shows such intolerance for anyone on the other side of the argument that it's hard not to despise him.  Thing is a lot of what comes out of the programme is really interesting but John Oliver himself is a very unfunny and hypocritical host.  Trevor Noah does a very similar show but does it infinitely better.  Bill Maher is starting to grate as well and I used to really like him - think it might be that their opposition to Trump has made them far more polemical than funny.  For that matter chuck in Frankie Boyle - was funny but now isn't most of the time. 

3 hours ago, The Cat said:

Paul McCaffrey has been putting on some decent shows around Winchester during lockdown. He's very good and has booked some big names too. Romesh was there a couple of weeks ago (not a massive fan of but he is a huge name)

Thanks, didn't realise that. I'll take a look. 

Lee Hurst used to irritate me on They Think It's All Over, even when he said something funny, he ruined it by overdoing the joke!

I really like Rhod Gilbert both in stand up and on Work Experience but my all time fav that I saw live was the late Mike Reid, he was just brilliant and very very funny!

23 minutes ago, benjii said:

No way! I need to check that out.

Stanhope is awesome.

It was supposed to be October but has been put back. Can't remember when to. 

I saw him in Pompey years ago. Half the crowd didn't know whether to be offended or laugh. It was so funny I was crying.