Guly Signs For Chicago Fire

rickylambert

Happy for the guy. I'd just like to say again, thank you Guly for helping us in the climb to the Premier League, just unfortunate you couldn't make the step up to the Prem

Don't care what some say, but I enjoyed watching him in the Championship.

Happy for the guy. I'd just like to say again, thank you Guly for helping us in the climb to the Premier League, just unfortunate you couldn't make the step up to the Prem

Don't care what some say, but I enjoyed watching him in the Championship.

What he said ^

Don't care what some say, but I enjoyed watching him in the Championship.[/quote)

well said.

Guly took a deal of unfair criticism from some people on this site, but HDAJFU when it mattered, especially in the first half of Championship season, almost equalling Lambert's tally by New Year.

There's no shame in not being able to tie down a regular spot in the Prem. there are dozens of players who spend half their life on the bench.

I hope he has a good finish to his career in the U.S. and can make a few $s along the way. Good luck Guly.

Watching that video it's impressive how two footed Guly is given that half the England squad can barely trap a ball with their other foot.

Great player in our rise up the leagues will miss signings like him and Papa Waigo now we are in the premier league!

Love that they put this video on their signing page, what a hero.

User Actions

Following

Chicago FireVerified account

‏@ChicagoFire

WATCH: Highlights of new Fire signing Guly do Prado: [video=youtube_share;cO1n0czMR9g]

#cf97 #MLS

What f*cking amazing journey that was, so glad I could watch it. My grandad would have loved it.

Great vid by our media team - shows what they do if people leave in the 'right' way ;)

User Actions

Following

‏@ChicagoFire

WATCH: Highlights of new Fire signing Guly do Prado: [video=youtube_share;cO1n0czMR9g]

#cf97 #MLS

great viewing - worth a second look. He may have had a shorter period of success, but surely must be one of the most versatile scorers we've seen in many a year...

User Actions

Following

‏@ChicagoFire

#cf97 #MLS

Not surprised they did, with the video showing him rubbing shoulders with such Prem stars as Oxlade-Chamberlain, Lambert, Lallana, Fonte, Cork, Schneiderlin, Steven Davis, Ward-Prowse, Hammond, and erm, Lovren and Barnard.

God I love that sash kit.

Good video that. Guly did a good job here, and was a big reason for the two promotions. I was never too sure what his best position was though, he seemed to be played everywhere. Hope he does well at Chicago and even boosts Saints profile a bit.

Been talking to some Chicago fans, and here's what they told me about their club.

1) Play in red (and white)

2) Extensive youth development set-up

3) Lower-to-middle side

4) Have a tendency to upset the big boys at home

5) Poorly run from the top

6) Owner tries to invest as little as possible so when he sells he can make a profit

7) Some decent history, but on a barren run

8) Very passionate fans but don't sell the stadium out

Some of those points resonate!

User Actions

Following

‏@ChicagoFire

#cf97 #MLS

TBH - if you saw that video and didn't know who he was there would be plenty on here demanding we sign him. He was better than a lot of people thought and did a real good job for us. I wish him nothing but success in the US

My most vivid memory of Guly is when we played Hull at home, 2 - 1 win, Championship promotion season.

First half we fed the ball to him, he was being marked tightly. He just let his marker push him out of the way each time. He didn't look interested at all, shrugging his shoulders, slapping his hands to his side when it didn't go his way, not even running to get the ball back. We go 1 - 0 down with a couple of minutes before half-time. Some might say a disgraceful attitude.

Second half, he has a shot saved, pounces for the rebound, scores within three minutes. Sets up the second goal seven minutes later.

A player that drove people mad and made them laugh, scored some important goals. Interesting spell with us.

I'm pleased for the guy. He un-justifiably got a lot of stick, I often had discussions with the bloke who used to sit in front of me, he would criticise Guly as soon as he got on the pitch. He was a versatile player & I think this was why he attracted so much abuse, often being played out of a position. Good luck to him & thanks for the memories.

"The right way" presumably being when we decide we've outgrown them and ditch them rather than when they decide they've outgrown us and ditch us.

To be fair there is a difference - we gave the players that helped us up the leagues long, well paid contracts and honoured them.

To be fair there is a difference - we gave the players that helped us up the leagues long, well paid contracts and honoured them.

Yeah, we definitely didn't force any of the players we'd given long contracts to out the door by not even allowing them to train with the adults.

I don't think we did anything wrong, but I do love the hypocrisy when a player decides it's time to move on.

Been talking to some Chicago fans, and here's what they told me about their club.

1) Play in red (and white)

2) Extensive youth development set-up

3) Lower-to-middle side

4) Have a tendency to upset the big boys at home

5) Poorly run from the top

6) Owner tries to invest as little as possible so when he sells he can make a profit

7) Some decent history, but on a barren run

8) Very passionate fans but don't sell the stadium out

Some of those points resonate!

They seem to agree! Reply from a CF fan...

1) We WERE a dominant force in the days of Peter Wilt running the club: Nowak, Stoichkov, Wolff, Beasley, Bocanegra, Kubik, Thornton, Armas, Gutierrez, Razov, Ralph, Podbrozny, Okaroh, Sanneh, Rolfe etc. got us 6 major trophies in 9 years and two CONCACAF Champions' League 3rd place finishes. Since then we've appeared in the 2009 Superliga Final (N. America's Europa League) and a 2011 US Open Cup Final (our FA Cup, which we've won 4 times), but we've been mid-table this decade and really dipped into the bottom half of the league last season.

2)Yep

3) VERY unhappy. This is the first year we've made any big signings since we picked up Germany's World Cup centre-back Arne Friedrich (who helped us to a playoff finish in 2012) joined in late 2011. Andrew "Dollar Menu" Hauptman is the nickname.

4) Sadly, though this is the first season we've made some moves including nabbing a player you guys tried acquiring just prior to this season: Kennedy Igboananike. Apparently his transfer from AIK was settled on and then the dreaded UK work permit issue ruined it for you guys. Interestingly, it appears Guly will be his back-up.

5) Underperformed the last four years, despite just missing out on the playoffs in 2011 and 2013 and finishing mid-table in the last week of the season. Our MO has been poor starts to a season, then big July transfers to rescue us. It worked in 2012 and almost worked in the two years bookending, but FINALLY we are signing in the January window.

6) Traditionally the best youth system in MLS. At one point in the 2010 World Cup, the entire starting back line for the Yanks: Beasley, Bocanegra, DeMerit, and Spector, came through the Chicago system, as did others in the squad. Probably doesn't hurt that Bob Bradley was our coach in the glory days and he was the US coach at that World Cup.

BTW, we just had a documentary, "The Southampton Way", run on NBC Sports here in the states. The youth and scouting systems are remarkably similar. Good luck to the Saints this year. I hate Chelsea, Man U, and Man City and love you're giving them hell.

Yeah, we definitely didn't force any of the players we'd given long contracts to out the door by not even allowing them to train with the adults.

I don't think we did anything wrong, but I do love the hypocrisy when a player decides it's time to move on.

The Under 21s is just the reserves, don't try making out players were forced to train with the 15/16 year old kids.

TBH - if you saw that video and didn't know who he was there would be plenty on here demanding we sign him. He was better than a lot of people thought and did a real good job for us. I wish him nothing but success in the US

Any chance we could get him back on loan a la Frank Lampard?

Would still be happy to see him on the bench sometimes when we need to close a game down.

"The right way" presumably being when we decide we've outgrown them and ditch them rather than when they decide they've outgrown us and ditch us.

I do love the hypocrisy when a player decides it's time to move on.

Like Lambert? Who got a massive article including his own letter to the fans and also a YouTube tribute?

Clearly some left the wrong way.

I remember the first time i saw him play and i turned round to my mate and said "he's the worst player i have ever had to watch wear the Saints shirt"....to be fair he certainly changed my opinion of him and he is rightly remembered fondly by Saints fans. I hope Chicago see the player he was for us!

I remember when we signed him, an italian football journalist told us he would be an average Championship player. He probably was that but he was a genius in league one.

If Bradley Wright-Phillips can be a smash hit in MLS, so can Guly.

Was he actually a "genius" in L1? Lallana was, Lambert was. Guly was just a decent player. But not a genius FFS.

He was far, far too good for all but 2 or 3 teams in League One, whether you like it or not.

Agreed, don't understand why people are STILL giving him stick all these years later! His record in L1 was great, and for the first half of the Championship season he was one of our best players.

Wish the bloke well in Chicago, should be a good player in the MLS.

Was he actually a "genius" in L1? Lallana was, Lambert was. Guly was just a decent player. But not a genius FFS.

Some of his touches in L1 were a bit special, he was clearly a level above 90% of that league. Check out his goal against Dagenham. He took the **** with that finish, on such a crappy pitch.

Some of his touches in L1 were a bit special, he was clearly a level above 90% of that league. Check out his goal against Dagenham. He took the **** with that finish, on such a crappy pitch.

Yes he scored some nice goals (Bristol Rovers at home, Blackpool in the Cup too) but wasn't exactly a genius IMO.

Genius is what Hazard or Fabregas are in the PL.

In League One Lallana was a genius, Guly was a good player in a very good team.

I also seem to remember a lot of fans not rating him, to put it kindly.

Players like Dean Hammond or Dan Harding were probably more important for us in L1 than Guly IMO.

Yes he scored some nice goals (Bristol Rovers at home, Blackpool in the Cup too) but wasn't exactly a genius IMO.

Genius is what Hazard or Fabregas are in the PL.

In League One Lallana was a genius, Guly was a good player in a very good team.

I also seem to remember a lot of fans not rating him, to put it kindly.

Players like Dean Hammond or Dan Harding were probably more important for us in L1 than Guly IMO.

Why is it so important to you to prove he wasn't that good?

God - some of you guys are right up your own backside leaping on a bit of hyperbole as though he meant it literally. His point was that compared to most League 1 players he appeared that way. And if you want to be literal neither AL or RL were geniuses either - just very good players (and I am a big fan of both)