Guly Signs For Chicago Fire

rickylambert

Has barely played now for 4 years. Not being able to make an impact of any sort in the MLS is pretty poor for a player who was decent at L1 and Championship level.

For context, Bradley Wright-Phillips seems to be having some kind of massive stardom renaissance.

Loving the Guly observations.... He was talented but could not be ar5ed..... He seemed to divide his games up thus : 20% fabulous , 30% average and 50% dire from the ones I saw. The standard of American soccer is rubbish, about the same standard as our Div1 so he will earn a good wage and good luck to the fella but for me he was never doing the business as Saints and put in some truly shocking performances.... Pompey away amongst his worst.....

• 4 weeks later...
This still amuses me.

Not sure why you took personal offense to it. If it helps, it wasn't meant to be an attack on you or MLS, neither was it some proclamation that Guly, because he played in a superior league, would walk through MLS defenders. I give you credit though, with 14 posts you've mastered the SaintsWeb personal snipe.

• 3 weeks later...

Good to see he is still keen to play, sure he could be effective at that level, but whether Blackpool are good enough is another matter. See they are trying to sign Adam Hammill as well, he really did lose his way when/after he was with us, touted as a future England international at one stage with Liverpool, can't even blame Brenda for that one.

Good to see he is still keen to play, sure he could be effective at that level, but whether Blackpool are good enough is another matter. See they are trying to sign Adam Hammill as well, he really did lose his way when/after he was with us, touted as a future England international at one stage with Liverpool, can't even blame Brenda for that one.

Hammill was with Blackpool in the Championship in 2008 immediately after Saints (I think he played against us in the FA Cup?). Having just left Huddersfield having been on loan to fellow Championship side Rotherham, if anything he'd be a bit of a coup for them at the bottom of L1.

As for Guly, he can still do a LOT better than that but he does need good players around him to shine, he's not going to drag a side through it on his own.

Edited by The9

Never looked fit from memory.

And still hasn't, yet. One of those players that always looks like he might improve a team because he's creative and looks like he's working hard, but in practice is a bit of a stepover monkey, disappears from matches too often and never quite as hard a worker as he looked at first.

Also the bloke who paints the touchline must hate his little hop hop shuffle onto the pitch.

Burley managed to turn him into the Pillsbury Doughboy if memory serves. It was after our assistant manager (whose name completely escapes me now) left and we began to see that George didn't have a ****ing clue.

Sir Clive Woodward? :lol: Actually he was Director of Football at the time.

• 1 month later...
Not sure why you took personal offense to it. If it helps, it wasn't meant to be an attack on you or MLS, neither was it some proclamation that Guly, because he played in a superior league, would walk through MLS defenders. I give you credit though, with 14 posts you've mastered the SaintsWeb personal snipe.

Explain what you did mean then.

• 4 weeks later...