France: Charlie Hebdo shootings

pap

Just saying that this is probably the worst terrorist attack in French History and the biggest killing in france since WW2

mental stuff. I wonder how france will deal with this, the killers are on the run. going to get messy..

will the killers run to a place where they can blow themselves up spectacularly?

And cue the Islamophobes going into overdrive.
I would have thought it will be a natural reaction. I myself am tolerant of Islam but it is hard to keep that way when these barbaric acts are undertaken

When they go around a city centre killing all and sundry perhaps you will also become concerned.

It is not necessarily an Islam thing, but I dont see many of the people of that faith rising up and condemning or letting know the authorities who these people are.

Just saying that this is probably the worst terrorist attack in French History and the biggest killing in france since WW2

mental stuff. I wonder how france will deal with this, the killers are on the run. going to get messy..

will the killers run to a place where they can blow themselves up spectacularly?

i suspect they will melt away into the crowd. This is something that we are going to have to get used to.

Any suspects who are questioned will be asked politely if they did it, and then allowed to walk after they say no 3 times.

They will hide behind the Human Rights Act and laugh at our society

Edited by OldNick

It is not necessarily an Islam thing, but I dont see many of the people of that faith rising up and condemning or letting know the authorities who these people are.

Assuming you're a Christian, do you rise up and condemn fellow Christians when they commit atrocities?

Assuming you're a Christian, do you rise up and condemn fellow Christians when they commit atrocities?

What attrocities do Christians commit? natural that you would like to come across as an enlightened liberal although many might feel just a contrary di ck.

What attrocities do Christians commit? natural that you would like to come across as an enlightened liberal although many might feel just a contrary di ck.

Anders Breivek would be the obvious example.

The West is at war with Islam, this is just the start. I have a number of Muslim friends and have asked them many times would you like to see Sharia law in the UK, all said yes. That's scares the hell out of me. They are nice guys but their religion has a total stranglehold on them.

The simple fact is that with the appaulling human rights attrocities we see and read about daily , the suicide bombings , the kidnapping , the beheadings etc etc NOBODY trusts islam as a religion and see it merely as a front to extremism & I myself admit I certainly I view muslims alot different now to how I once did. It doesn't help certainly here in the uk when you've a government who does nothing but roll over in the name of pc and human rights when it comes to uk extremists and hate preachers and you only have to look at the fact anjem choudreys still free and walking around rather than like abu hamza being shipped out to the u.s to face charges. Many many people worldwide are anti islam because of continued attrocities & killings but are too afraid to say it for fear of being accused of being racist or non pc

The West is at war with Islam, this is just the start. I have a number of Muslim friends and have asked them many times would you like to see Sharia law in the UK, all said yes. That's scares the hell out of me. They are nice guys but their religion has a total stranglehold on them.

What a load of scaremongering rubbish.

The simple fact is that with the appaulling human rights attrocities we see and read about daily , the suicide bombings , the kidnapping , the beheadings etc etc NOBODY trusts islam as a religion and see it merely as a front to extremism & I myself admit I certainly I view muslims alot different now to how I once did. It doesn't help certainly here in the uk when you've a government who does nothing but roll over in the name of pc and human rights when it comes to uk extremists and hate preachers and you only have to look at the fact anjem choudreys still free and walking around rather than like abu hamza being shipped out to the u.s to face charges. Many many people worldwide are anti islam because of continued attrocities & killings but are too afraid to say it for fear of being accused of being racist or non pc
The thing is, whilst the majority of the developed, civilised world has well and truly moved on from devoutly following the ancient and medieval cults of religion, one particular cult continues to grow and expand aggressively across the developed world, bringing their backward practices with them and if anyone suggests this isn't a good thing, they're labelled as "racists" or "Nazis" :lol:

What about Columbine or similar?

Well, he could argue that those aren't religiously motivated, if that makes a difference. I don't think it makes a difference from the perspective of the victim.

Anyway, the Breivik shootings were religiously motivated and are a better fit for that reason.

Don't get me wrong. There's nowt but shock and sadness at these events, but expecting all Muslims to apologise for extreme crimes committed by anyone else subscribing to the faith is pushing it. No-one asked all of Christendom to apologise for Anders Breivik.

Well, he could argue that those aren't religiously motivated, if that makes a difference. I don't think it makes a difference from the perspective of the victim.

Anyway, the Breivik shootings were religiously motivated and are a better fit for that reason.

Don't get me wrong. There's nowt but shock and sadness at these events, but expecting all Muslims to apologise for extreme crimes committed by anyone else subscribing to the faith is pushing it. No-one asked all of Christendom to apologise for Anders Breivik.

I don't disagree. To be fair when something like this happens you usually have a number of British based clerics coming out and condemning it, and I have no doubt it will happen again in response to this.

Perhaps we need a ban on religious texts, including christianity, which encourage revenge or violence against others? Obviously this would mean sections of the bible and quran being removed, but who could argue with that if the texts encouraged, even ordered, the murder of people with different views than your own? At least a ban on their publication, on inciting terrorism grounds? Is that too far fetched?

Perhaps we need a ban on religious texts, including christianity, which encourage revenge or violence against others? Obviously this would mean sections of the bible and quran being removed, but who could argue with that if the texts encouraged, even ordered, the murder of people with different views than your own? At least a ban on their publication, on inciting terrorism grounds? Is that too far fetched?

It's utterly mental. The people who go out and murder others because they interpret a line from a book a certain way are the ones who need stopping not the book itself.

I would have thought it will be a natural reaction. I myself am tolerant of Islam but it is hard to keep that way when these barbaric acts are undertaken

When they go around a city centre killing all and sundry perhaps you will also become concerned.

And is that because it doesn't happen or it doesn't get reported? Do organisations like the LRA in Uganda make you less tolerant of Christianity?

I suspect this is some IS splinter group or similar, a group that the vast majority of Muslims would deplore and have nothing to do with like you or me. This is the tragic consequences when sociopaths/psychopaths and religion mix. This is about as representative of Islam as it is the French population.

It is down to depraved individuals who hijack and interpret religion in a way that they want to see it, whilst gleefully ignoring anything they find inconvenient. (Like the strict prohibition of violence or murder for example). All to justify their own bloodthirsty agendas. Highly prone to self-delusion they believe they are in a 'war' and they are 'soldiers'. They are fantasists, commonly have very high IQs, and are manipulative to such an extent they can control entire groups of vulnerable/unknowing people. Essentially they live in a parallel world where the world around them is only what they want to see.

IS are a death cult, run solely to create a utopia harking back to the dark ages. All for power, control and ego.

As for the magazine they made the choice of publishing what they published, but they clearly didn't comprehend the sort of people they were dealing with. My heart goes out to all the friends/relatives of the deceased, I suspect a lot of the victims weren't the ones who decided what the magazine published.

It's utterly mental. The people who go out and murder others because they interpret a line from a book a certain way are the ones who need stopping not the book itself.

Yes but some of these texts (eg within Deuteronomy) specifically order violence and murder, no interpretation needed. Same for Quran. Should these publications be censored? If not you're always going to find people who are going to take these passages seriously and rely on them for justification.

Yes but some of these texts (eg within Deuteronomy) specifically order violence and murder, no interpretation needed. Same for Quran. Should these publications be censored? If not you're always going to find people who are going to take these passages seriously and rely on them for justification.

How do you suggest censoring them? You have people who play GTA and then go and kill people or who watch violent films and act them out. Should they all be banned? Fact is that with or without a religious verse there will always be weirdos and nutters who will use something to justify murder and violence. It's how the world works. With regards to Christianity specifically, many choose to view it through the lens of the time it was written when values were very different to today. Additionally, scholars cannot agree about translations and which ones are correct even today so I don't believe that what is written cannot be interpreted.

Edited by hypochondriac

And is that because it doesn't happen or it doesn't get reported? Do organisations like the LRA in Uganda make you less tolerant of Christianity?

I suspect this is some IS splinter group or similar, a group that the vast majority of Muslims would deplore and have nothing to do with like you or me. This is the tragic consequences when sociopaths/psychopaths and religion mix. This is about as representative of Islam as it is the French population.

It is down to depraved individuals who hijack and interpret religion in a way that they want to see it, whilst gleefully ignoring anything they find inconvenient. (Like the strict prohibition of violence or murder for example). All to justify their own bloodthirsty agendas. Highly prone to self-delusion they believe they are in a 'war' and they are 'soldiers'. They are fantasists, commonly have very high IQs, and are manipulative to such an extent they can control entire groups of vulnerable/unknowing people. Essentially they live in a parallel world where the world around them is only what they want to see.

IS are a death cult, run solely to create a utopia harking back to the dark ages. All for power, control and ego.

As for the magazine they made the choice of publishing what they published, but they clearly didn't comprehend the sort of people they were dealing with. My heart goes out to all the friends/relatives of the deceased, I suspect a lot of the victims weren't the ones who decided what the magazine published.

Are you seriously suggesting that there isn't a direct problem with Islam and terrorism that is a threat to the West currently?

How do you suggest censoring them? You have people who play GTA and then go and kill people or who watch violent films and act them out. Should they all be banned? Fact is that with or without a religious verse there will always be weirdos and nutters who will use something to justify murder and violence. It's how the world works. With regards to Christianity specifically, many choose to view it through the lens of the time it was written when values were very different to today. Additionally, scholars cannot agree about translations and which ones are correct even today so I don't believe that what is written cannot be interpreted.
It's never going to happen, but if Islam was banned and outlawed tomorrow, would the world be any worse off in any way?

I would have thought it will be a natural reaction.

Yes, blaming an entire religion of over 1.6B people for the acts of less that 0.1%. If 1 Saints fan went and stabbed a Pompey fan in the street - would it be a natural reaction to blame and attack every single Saints fan?

I myself am tolerant of Islam

That's mighty big of you, to tolerate people of other religions.

Plenty do. Trouble is, it s hard for them to be heard. Whenever the media wants a quote from a Muslim voice they will roll out Anjem Choudary, because he is a guaranteed sound bite, makes headlines and is more interesting than any reasonable person that will absolutely condemn such atrocious acts.

As Pap says, did you feel the need to apologise on behalf of Anders Breivik? Do you feel the need to apologise for the awful intimidation of 'Christian Patrols' who roam around Muslims areas in large groups, dressed in Paramilitary style outfits and barging into Mosques to start fights? All this on top of being painted the global boogie man, by governments, the media and countless ignorant idiots the world over - constantly 'randomly chosen' for extra security screening, funny looks on public transport for over a decade?

Do all Christians need to apologise for the Catholic IRA?

Do all Christians need to apologise on behalf of this Mother that killed her child by stuffing pages of the bible down it's throat?

Oh and of course, do all Christians need to apologise and condemn the KKK?

See Anders Breivik in Norway, Lord's Resistance Army in Uganda, Christian militants in Central African Republic etc.

i suspect they will melt away into the crowd. This is something that we are going to have to get used to.

Any suspects who are questioned will be asked politely if they did it, and then allowed to walk after they say no 3 times.

They will hide behind the Human Rights Act and laugh at our society

Better ship em off to Guantanamo for some torture then.