France: Charlie Hebdo shootings

pap

Newcastle fans are worse than any other fans. I found this image that proves it, I can't find any other examples of football related violence:

article-0-194A5EDF000005DC-293_634x395.jpg

It's as if the colours that man is wearing have taken on some sort of, special ritual meaning.

It doesn't look like a cold day, yet he is wearing a scarf.

If I said to that man "Are you a Sunderland fan?", what would his reaction be, do you suppose?

And assuming that his reaction was negative, what would had programmed him to feel that way?

Is there some form of book that he's read that told him to behave that way?

Is there some form of 'man in the sky' that is influencing the man in the picture's actions.

Perhaps he gets his instructions from an Internet forum?

Perhaps he's bound himself to other similar people because he feels stronger together?

I wonder how he might start to defend his behaviour, if challenged? That he doesn't like the colour red, perhaps?

There's some weird sorts.

And let's not forget, this man is behaving in this way because of a game.

A game.

It's worth saying that again.

A game.

I must admit organised religion is not for me. I find it odd and strange, and sometimes a little creepy, but I see now that there are other types of behaviour that are equally difficult to defend with logic.

Thanks for helping me see that, KRG.

Answer the question about commercial logging first, Sour Mash.

So, you agree with everything Gervais has ever said?

Wow.

:lol:

(It's easy this)

How can I agree or disagree with everthing Gervais has ever said? I don't know everything he's ever said, so I can't comment on it.

Easy enough to comment on a one page internet link though.

No, I don't think Elephants should be used for logging :lol:

I knew I could count on you to bring high-brow cultural references to answer Sour Mash's tangential questions, 3B.

Ta.

With all his complex questions, we just need an assault course and it would be like an episode of the Cretin Factor.

Saintbletch your answers have been brilliant, well done.

I must admit organised religion is not for me. I find it odd and strange, and sometimes a little creepy, but I see now that there are other types of behaviour that are equally difficult to defend with logic.

Thanks for helping me see that, KRG.

Should be said, I am not in the slightest religious either. If people choose to follow a religion and they find solace in that also, more power to them.

Yes, I do have some issues with religion, and in particular the institutions themselves the Christian 'Church' is rotten to the f***ing core. But that does not mean I am going to start painting all people that do follow a religion and live their lives in a normal, peaceful way as mentally ill or brainwashed. Neither will I take a sample of less than 1% of a community and use that to tar the remaining 99%, or start singling out specific groups as inherently evil - as has been demonstrated all religions and races are culpable of awfully evil atrocities.

I like the slight irony of atheists slavishly following other atheists in order to provide themselves with validation, or to prove to others, their "beliefs". Or more correctly, non belief, of course.

This is a common misconception about atheists. Most atheists I know, including me, have very strong ideas, beliefs and philosophies, made even more important to us because, despite being brought up with Christian teachings, we came to our beliefs ourselves and they are far more personal, rather than inherited from our parents and cultures. What I believe in was a personal epiphany for me and it involved understanding that there is no god. Not believing in a god makes me an atheist, but it certainly isn't about non-belief, it's about a different belief.

This is a common misconception about atheists. Most atheists I know, including me, have very strong ideas, beliefs and philosophies, made even more important to us because, despite being brought up with Christian teachings, we came to our beliefs ourselves and they are far more personal, rather than inherited from our parents and cultures. What I believe in was a personal epiphany for me and it involved understanding that there is no god. Not believing in a god makes me an atheist, but it certainly isn't about non-belief, it's about a different belief.

I used to be an atheist.

Back on the ol' agnosticism now.

Don't get me wrong. I've no time for organised religion or whatnot. Just think that it's a bit arrogant for a 5'4" mush with a limited understanding of the universe to proclaim that there definitely isn't a god.

Should be said, I am not in the slightest religious either. If people choose to follow a religion and they find solace in that also, more power to them.

Yes, I do have some issues with religion, and in particular the institutions themselves the Christian 'Church' is rotten to the f***ing core. But that does not mean I am going to start painting all people that do follow a religion and live their lives in a normal, peaceful way as mentally ill or brainwashed. Neither will I take a sample of less than 1% of a community and use that to tar the remaining 99%, or start singling out specific groups as inherently evil - as has been demonstrated all religions and races are culpable of awfully evil atrocities.

I think that just makes you normal mate.

Man is prone to superstition and tribalism, put them both together and you have religion - one of the biggest causes of conflict on this planet since the beginning of time. The idiot in the black and white stripes is reacting to his tribalist (Newcasle United clan) instincts and given that a lot of football supporters build "shrines" in their homes (team pictures, colours etc) you could argue that it is also a quasi religion for them too. As long as no one gets hurt it is harmless enough (not very pleasant in the 70s though). The problem with football hooliganism as it is with Islam is that it is not the game of the religion itself that is the problem, it is the relatively few psychos who attach themselves to either group and use it to justify their psycotic behaviour. I know some Muslims and they are decent, peaceful people who are just as applaed as the Paris massacre and the beheadings as I am. You only have to look at the atrocities carried out during the "Troubles" (and to some extent still going on) to see that some Christians are not better.

Religious extremist are not religious people. If they were they would be leading peaceful lives. They use Religion to justify their need to kill and maime. Drop the Religious and there you have it. They are Extremists and this is only relevant to Islam in that they chose to mitigate their atrocities by using that as a cover.

How can I agree or disagree with everthing Gervais has ever said? I don't know everything he's ever said, so I can't comment on it.

Easy enough to comment on a one page internet link though.

No, I don't think Elephants should be used for logging :lol:

I didn't ask about logging.

I asked about commercial logging.

And I'm still waiting.

So you're backtracking on Gervais now?

You're happy to spout a selection of tweets from Gervais as if these convey, completely, his stance on religion. Yet, now you go on to admit that you lack sufficient knowledge about 'everything he's ever said'.

You therefore don't know whether he's gone on to contradict his position, or even had a change of heart and become pro-religious.

Perhaps it would have been better not to have brought it up, if you're not certain of your facts.

It's good to see what I'm dealing with though

Look at the banning orders in this document (Table 1)....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/248740/Football_Arrest_BO_Statistics_2012-13.pdf

Name me 17 other religions that have had fewer, more, less or greater than the mean number of banning orders (occurring on either a Weekday OR Weekend) for acts of violence or intimidation related to a GAME.

So, you believe that leprechauns secretly rule the world from nerve centres hidden at the end of meteorological phenomena?

(it's great fun debating like this!)

I didn't ask about logging.

I asked about commercial logging.

And I'm still waiting.

So you're backtracking on Gervais now?

You're happy to spout a selection of tweets from Gervais as if these convey, completely, his stance on religion. Yet, now you go on to admit that you lack sufficient knowledge about 'everything he's ever said'.

You therefore don't know whether he's gone on to contradict his position, or even had a change of heart and become pro-religious.

Perhaps it would have been better not to have brought it up, if you're not certain of your facts.

It's good to see what I'm dealing with though

Look at the banning orders in this document (Table 1)....

https://www.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/248740/Football_Arrest_BO_Statistics_2012-13.pdf

Name me 17 other religions that have had fewer, more, less or greater than the mean number of banning orders (occurring on either a Weekday OR Weekend) for acts of violence or intimidation related to a GAME.

So, you believe that leprechauns secretly rule the world from nerve centres hidden at the end of meteorological phenomena?

(it's great fun debating like this!)

How am I backtracking on Gervais? Nice try in making things up to try and make your point :lol:

All 238 Christian denominations lumped together. You're not a big one for nuance or fine detail are you?

Oh sweet mercy. A lot of the different denominations have their own issues. I have neither the time nor inclination to go through each one individually and list them, I'm sure no one really wants to read that.

Please forgive me that I did not quite explicitly state, what other people seemed to understand, that I was referring to the main most widely followed denominations.

How am I backtracking on Gervais? Nice try in making things up to try and make your point :lol:

So you posted the Gervais link because you disagreed with it?

Help me understand?

Do you think that leprechauns secretly run the world from bunkers hidden at the end of rainbows?

You answer my question (incompletely) about elephant logging, but duck the one about leprechauns. Why?

Still waiting on the questions of the commercial logging...

Still waiting for you to provide data about religious violence related to games...

Also, you are spending your life, debating with someone on an Internet forum. About religion and politics. Because you like football.

Don't you think that's odd?

Did you decide to do this because of a book you read? Or do you hear voices telling you to do it?

Tell a close friend that doesn't use the Internet or support football, about your 11,000 (31 years remember) contributions on here.

Then tell them how odd you find religion. See what they say.

Because, there are some really strange ways to live one's life, but the way you've chosen to live yours is downright weird. (Mine too BTW)

Fish.Gun.Barrel.

But the difference is one is done because the individual chooses to do it, the other is followed because a man in the sky, an ancient book tells them to do it, or they feel they can't let their community down. A clear difference. I don't know of anyone that feels they can't eat a certain food because of the football team they follow :lol:

I never eat anything blue

Sorry to offend you Norway, I was, rather clumsily, trying to be specific about atheism as a rejection of belief in the Deities, in the slightly ironic context of one atheist preaching the gospel of another atheist to "spread the word". I didn't mean to imply that atheists have no beliefs or operate their life without principles at all. It would be intolerant, judgmental and ignorant of me to do so, either as a confirmed atheist or Christian.

I used to be an atheist.

Back on the ol' agnosticism now.

Don't get me wrong. I've no time for organised religion or whatnot. Just think that it's a bit arrogant for a 5'4" mush with a limited understanding of the universe to proclaim that there definitely isn't a god.

Can't help but like you Pap. You don't have the aggression of others

So you posted the Gervais link because you disagreed with it?

Help me understand?

Do you think that leprechauns secretly run the world from bunkers hidden at the end of rainbows?

You answer my question (incompletely) about elephant logging, but duck the one about leprechauns. Why?

Still waiting on the questions of the commercial logging...

Still waiting for you to provide data about religious violence related to games...

Also, you are spending your life, debating with someone on an Internet forum. About religion and politics. Because you like football.

Don't you think that's odd?

Did you decide to do this because of a book you read? Or do you hear voices telling you to do it?

Tell a close friend that doesn't use the Internet or support football, about your 11,000 (31 years remember) contributions on here.

Then tell them how odd you find religion. See what they say.

Because, there are some really strange ways to live one's life, but the way you've chosen to live yours is downright weird. (Mine too BTW)

Fish.Gun.Barrel.

Serious question - do you guys work or just have jobs that let you toss it off? Strangely jealous that you can debate all day.

Can't help but like you Pap. You don't have the aggression of others

Ta.

Serious question - do you guys work or just have jobs that let you toss it off? Strangely jealous that you can debate all day.

Speaking for myself, I work from 8am to around 10pm each day. It is not a solid 14 hours, but my American clients love that I'm always available.

So are the apologists (although possibly do not realise they are) going have to try and reason with what the Kosher deli has done to upset them? Stirring up a hornets nest by having different views. Had it coming to them.