Graziano Pelle

supersonic

Sorry but did the OP actually see the game yesterday? He was pheominal, won just about everything in the air and mostly managed to control and bring other players into the game. Desperately unlucky that his header cannoned off the cross bar. He may not have scored in the last few games but his all round contribution/shots on goal/efforts on target are up there with best.

That header was deflected off the shoulder (or something) of a defender.

He's been absolutely pivotal in everything we done so far. he'll score again soon. Amazing contribution in recent weeks and the unluckiest player in the Prem when it comes to hitting the woodwork.

This. He's hit the woodwork, what? six times now since last scoring? Not to mention having it brilliantly cleared off the line against Arsenal.

Just a horrible run of luck but he's still doing an awful lot for the team; they'll start flying in again soon. I'm still confident he'll beat Rickie's total of 13 last season (a total which included 3 pens and 2 FKs btw)

Some interesting points bought up, don't get me wrong I like him as a player, his build up play is superb and he does cause problems.

I had him down as FGS yesterday and when it didn't come in I just had a quick look back at his recent form and noticed the lack of goals.

I wonder what people's opinions would be on the matter if we were 14th?

I thought he was tremendous yesterday. Newcastle never (legally) got to grips with him, and his range of touches and layoffs - especially the chest passes - is arguably even wider than Rickie's.

I think he's hit the woodwork six or seven times in the PL so he's really not far off the top of the scoring charts.

The goal issue is not as big of a deal this year as it would have been last year, because - even though we don't have J-Rod's goals - we seem to be getting so many more goals from midfield, and he plays a big part in that.

It will be interesting to see if he can get the best out of JayRod in the same way that Rickie did - assuming that JayRod comes back the same player as he was when he was injured.

No goal in last 7 games an only 2 in last 15.

Time to start getting worried?

Our only other recognized striker, Long, has 1 in his last 13.

Signing a striker is crucial in the next few weeks.

Jesus. Seriously?

We're 3rd, at the end of January, we're scoring.

Do you watch Pelle play? The guy is a creator as well as a scorer, but over the last month, he's had the attention of 2, sometimes 3 opposition players pulling, battering and stopping him. This does two things, firstly it means he less likely to score but still able to play a decent through ball/knock down and secondly, it opens up space for other players who don't have that attention to get in better scoring position.

In my view. Worried? No.

Jesus. Seriously?

We're 3rd, at the end of January, we're scoring.

Do you watch Pelle play? The guy is a creator as well as a scorer, but over the last month, he's had the attention of 2, sometimes 3 opposition players pulling, battering and stopping him. This does two things, firstly it means he less likely to score but still able to play a decent through ball/knock down and secondly, it opens up space for other players who don't have that attention to get in better scoring position.

In my view. Worried? No.

Seriously, yes he has failed to score in his last 7 games.

He's a brilliant player, but please read posts before jumping to conclusions. I'm not worried about his all round play, I merely asked if people should be worried by his recent lack of goals.

No goal in last 7 games an only 2 in last 15.

Time to start getting worried? Our only other recognized striker, Long, has 1 in his last 13. Signing a striker is crucial in the next few weeks.

.....or, he has the most hits on the woodwork (six times) of any player in the Prem.this season. If we can't raise the bar, or widen the goals at SMS, then we will need to buy another striker ASAP.

.....or, he has the most hits on the woodwork (six times) of any player in the Prem.this season. If we can't raise the bar, or widen the goals at SMS, then we will need to buy another striker ASAP.

Well the goalposts can't be made bigger. You get nothing for hitting the woodwork unfortunately.

• 3 weeks later...

I wonder all those that weren't worried when I initially posted this have changed their mind? Now over 730 minutes (Over 8 games) since his last goal and he looks like a shadow of the striker he was at the start of the year. No confidence what so ever.

Not getting a striker in Jan will cost us at least a CL place.

You can see he tries hard and overall he's been more than decent for us this season. But let's face up to the truth here - it's just not happening for him at the moment and no amount of daft excuses about mean opposition defenders or poor refereeing decisions is going to make a blind bit of difference. I for one am not very interested in reading yet more calls on here to 'get behind the team' as if fan will-power alone can make a footballer play better than he is.

He must have had five or six decent opportunities today and I not even sure he got one of them on target. That's just not good enough for a team harboring ambitions of Europe I'm afraid. Because of our striker injury situation we have little choice but to stick with Pelle and hope he can rediscover some sort of form. But if that doesn't happen - and pretty damn quick - then those saying that not signing a striker in January will cost us dearly may well be proved correct.

Not that this fan wanted us to end up in the godforsaken Europa League anyway ...

Reminds me of the 84 season, crying out for more signings, didn't make them, and ultimately we missed out....

Will history repeat itself with our champions league quest. To miss it now would be a massive failure all things considered. Don't get me wrong, we can't moan about it. But this season is our one shot at a bigger future for the club. Fail and we will be Everton. Succeed and whole world of new doors will open for us.

It is mad having a go at our only forward. He is integral to our success this season

As others have said, this is the exact problem. not Pelle's fault but with no competition he's lacked that extra drive as he knows that unless he's injured/suspended he'll be picked every week.

Not Pelle's fault he is the only striker.

Was a no brainer to sign another in January and we didn't so have to hope he gets going again.

Unreal not to sign a striker in window. Never going to have better chance for champs league. We could have wil players in summer if it didn't work out madness.
A striker that is available in January, for a reasonable fee and wages, that can hold the ball up and link play, score half chances and would come to us? There is a reason why we didn't sign anyone.

Reminds me of the 84 season, crying out for more signings, didn't make them, and ultimately we missed out....

Will history repeat itself with our champions league quest. To miss it now would be a massive failure all things considered. Don't get me wrong, we can't moan about it. But this season is our one shot at a bigger future for the club. Fail and we will be Everton. Succeed and whole world of new doors will open for us.

Finishing, say, fifth or sixth this season would be a massive failure "all things considered"?

Something tells me that you haven't really considered all things.

A striker that is available in January, for a reasonable fee and wages, that can hold the ball up and link play, score half chances and would come to us? There is a reason why we didn't sign anyone.

Given how much a place in Europe is worth I'd say it was crazy not to sign anyone.

Even if we weren't in this great position, surely it would have made sense to sign a striker anyway given we only have 1 fit!!

Almost any striker, we have nothing on the bench to throw on in a situation like yesterday! Even Zarate that went to QPR or addebyor would have been an option at least!

But that's no better than shoving Mane up front? And we couldn't afford Adebayors wages (hence one of the reasons why his West Ham transfer fell through). Not as if he'd have been a good person to have around the team either.