Graziano Pelle

supersonic

Yeah, I'm really worried. Sat there in 3rd, totally ****ting my pants with worry. We're not winning games, we're not scoring goals, what will we do? oh.

Basically, no. There's nothing to worry about what so ever. He still gets into positions and hits the bar, it will come. Good player.

He does miss good chances

But he is involved in creating goals.

He is also unlucky at times like yesterday hitting the bar. But other times, he should be doing better

At times he does get battered in games and gets nothing at all. More so, gets penalised himself.

Good player but deffo could do with another like him

He was class on Saturday and keeps getting chances so not worried about him one bit.

A concern if he picked up an injury? Of course. Long doesn't retain the ball so the whole style falls apart. Lets be honest, Long isnt really of the calibre of most of our other players.

Worth getting another striker in? IMO yes seeing as we will never have a better chance to qualify for the CL.

Yeah, I'm really worried. Sat there in 3rd, totally ****ting my pants with worry. We're not winning games, we're not scoring goals, what will we do? oh.

Basically, no. There's nothing to worry about what so ever. He still gets into positions and hits the bar, it will come. Good player.

It's all well and good atm, when others are contributing goals, but he should be doing a lot better. Need another striker.

It's all well and good atm, when others are contributing goals, but he should be doing a lot better. Need another striker.

Another striker who will fit our system, be happy to share games, score for fun, adapt to the league, want to play for us and not break the bank.

Yeah think we may struggle with that one ...

Yes our reliance on Graziano is not ideal but crikey, as others have pointed out things are going well enough so far! We also have Gallagher and Rodriguez working back into contention.

Another striker who will fit our system, be happy to share games, score for fun, adapt to the league, want to play for us and not break the bank.

Yeah think we may struggle with that one ...

Yes our reliance on Graziano is not ideal but crikey, as others have pointed out things are going well enough so far! We also have Gallagher and Rodriguez working back into contention.

It'll take a while for Rodriguez to get back to form (if he ever gets back there) and will Gallagher score enough this season to keep us up the top of the league?

It'll take a while for Rodriguez to get back to form (if he ever gets back there) and will Gallagher score enough this season to keep us up the top of the league?

Err no. Not the keep us top of the league. Top four though, I think we have enough in our squad. Besides look how we set up. We do not rely on a striker for all our goals. He works as a pivot bringing others into play.

We are not City. We're not Chelsea. We're not even Liverpool! We can't just throw money at problems.

Classic head in sand syndrome.

He was class on Saturday and keeps getting chances so not worried about him one bit.

A concern if he picked up an injury? Of course. Long doesn't retain the ball so the whole style falls apart. Lets be honest, Long isnt really of the calibre of most of our other players.

Worth getting another striker in? IMO yes seeing as we will never have a better chance to qualify for the CL.

You seem to have a bit of a problem with Shane Long. Made 2nd goal yesterday (the winner) and with one exception his defensive work was superb (did lose his man when Guffron? had his chance late on. His work rate and his all round play is superb and as good as anyone in the team.

Err no. Not the keep us top of the league. Top four though, I think we have enough in our squad. Besides look how we set up. We do not rely on a striker for all our goals. He works as a pivot bringing others into play.

We are not City. We're not Chelsea. We're not even Liverpool! We can't just throw money at problems.

I thought we were something like 40m up on transfers last summer. We may not be able to throw money at problem but we ought to be able to fund another striker, Koeman has alluded to the need himself, but what does he know.

You seem to have a bit of a problem with Shane Long. Made 2nd goal yesterday (the winner) and with one exception his defensive work was superb (did lose his man when Guffron? had his chance late on. His work rate and his all round play is superb and as good as anyone in the team.

Problem with Long is that you don't want your main back up strikers main attribute to be defensive work.

His work rate is good but I can't take you seriously if you really believe Long's allround game is "superb".

His first touch is ****. He has no composure. He wouldn't effectively replace Pelle IMO.

Remember that cross when completely unchallenged that he hit onto the roof of the net? That sums him up for me, nice run and pace to get into a good position and then a lack of composure and technical ability.

Exactly why he is a last resort to start league games.

No goal in last 7 games an only 2 in last 15.

Time to start getting worried?

Our only other recognized striker, Long, has 1 in his last 13.

Signing a striker is crucial in the next few weeks.

As others have pointed out we're doing pretty well without him scoring. We've got 19 points from the last 7 games and 3 of those games have been against top 4 contenders where goals are going to be at a premium. He's been a key component. The partnership with Mane was just starting to take shape before the AFCON. Obviously it's a worry if he gets injured, but if not he's doing just fine.

Arsenal twice , United Twice , Chelsea , City , Burnley Everton , Palace , Newcastle, Ipswich

Considering our style away from home favours the pacy players getting in behind, the difficulty of these games and our general lack of goals in general in these games, I wouldn't worry too much about Pelles recent form. Definitely need a back up though, the commentators kept banging on that Newcastle had no focal point which we wouldn't have without Pelle

There is so much more to his game than just goals. He has been a key reason why we have won the last 3 away matches. He holds the ball up brilliantly, creates space and brings other players into play and takes a huge amount of pressure off our back 4. He is just about first name on the team sheet. I agree he needs some competition which I think Gallagher would be if fit so getting someone in would be a good idea. That won't be easy though as Pelle will undoubtedly be first choice whoever comes in.

Personally I'm very happy with Pelle. First 10 games or so of the season he was deadly; now teams have worked out that he needs to be at least double marked and that referees will always penalise him. He occupies two defenders on his own, and is still able to pull off things like the chest down for the first goal against Newcastle, and I think because of him our other players have much more freedom and space up top which is why we're seeing more goals coming from our wider attacking players. Yes, he could take some of his chances better, but what strikers couldn't?

He's had more shots than anyone else in the league - and after the frustration of watching us play possession football last season with barely any shots, I'm not complaining.

He played very well yesterday. Contributes so much more than goals. My worry is what we would do if he got injured. He's hit the post/bar 6 times this season, more than any other player in the PL. As long as he is in the position for chances I wouldn't worry too much.

I will be very surprised to see us bring a striker in this January.

Not 'concerned' about Pelle's current form in front of goal, he's pivotal in the way we play too. Looking forward to seeing Jay Rod and Sam Gallagher eventually.

Agree witht hat one Vectis. Think his real pronlem is not getting a regular start.

Listening to his interview.. he seems to be taking it in his stride, but it's clear that he 'd like to be starting but accepts his place on the bench is the only alternative at present.

He's strted twice , instead of Pelle and Tadic...and subbed for Tadic and Mane, so doesn't have the same role all the time.

Some of Pelle's one touch play is absolute genius. He works so hard and contributes so much. He is Postman Pelle though - but I don't think for much longer - he's too good to not get more goals...

Totally agree. Takes out 2 defenders every game and allows others the space they need. Brilliant player.

As others have pointed out we're doing pretty well without him scoring. We've got 19 points from the last 7 games and 3 of those games have been against top 4 contenders where goals are going to be at a premium. He's been a key component. The partnership with Mane was just starting to take shape before the AFCON. Obviously it's a worry if he gets injured, but if not he's doing just fine.

Just realised it's 16 points from our last 6 games (or 16 from our last 7 games), not 19 from 7, but the main point stands!

Bloke works his arse off, is involved in almost everything we do in the front 3rd, and never seems to put his head down when things don't go his way. Can we clone him? Does he have a brother?

Yes the lack of another option to give him a rest is an issue, but he doesn't seem to be suffering from fatigue.

I will be very surprised to see us bring a striker in this January.

Not 'concerned' about Pelle's current form in front of goal, he's pivotal in the way we play too. Looking forward to seeing Jay Rod and Sam Gallagher eventually.

Koeman hinted at bringing in a forward (in addition to Elia), and I think we need one, an out and out striker, if we are to maintain our form. Pelle has played every minute of every Premier League game, and has done it very well; but IMO at the very least we could do with an option that allows him a rest. At best, someone of a similar ilk but who will give us real options up front. I don't see either JRod or Long as being that type of player, they're much better as support forwards rather than leading the line.

I don't think it will happen but I have fingers crossed. When Mane is back it gives us another option but I don't see that we have a direct replacement for the Italian Stallion *swoons*

Do you even watch the games? He normally has 2-3 defenders on him whenever he gets near the ball, gets fouled a stupid amount without being awarded free kicks or pens.works his ass off for the team.

This. Some people spend far too much time on their Xbox. Pelle has been outstanding recently. As has Long. I think the problem with Saints (for other teams that is) is that we have 2 or 3 players who need to be heavily marked. As you are only allowed to field 11 players at any one time that works to free our midfield to score freely.

Thought for a while that his finishing isn't actually anything special, he just gets so many chances that he invariably gets a decent return of goals. I'll admit to being worried at how wasteful he is sometimes, he seems to be caught in two minds a lot when trying to play the killer ball and not quite pulling it off.

Leads the line as well as anyone i've ever seen, no doubt. Hold up play and flick ons (although people need to run beyond him more!) are fantastic. Sorry to say that it's a position that can definitely be improved upon though.

We need a back up for sure, but his contribution is massive and shouldn't be measured in goals.

The pundits on the Sunday Supplement were saying what a good player he is.

I don't care if Fraser Forster scores all of our goals as long as we keep on winning.

In our coverage over here y'day Alan Curbishly was absolutely drooling over Pelle's contribution to the way we play, especially the amount of times he uses his chest to lay the ball off and his cheeky sublime flicks and backheels to bring others into play.

He seems to be cursed, similarly to SRL, in the fact that Refs offer little in the way of protection, presumably because he doesn't go down like a sack of sh!te ala Andy Pandy Carroll at every challenge.

He definitely needs and deserves more goals to keep his confidence up, his look of anguished pain as he hits the woodwork or a move doesn't quite come of, or his mamma mia hand gesticulation to refs after each bad decision are brilliantly theatrically Italian, looking forward to more goal celebrations though!!

I thought we were something like 40m up on transfers last summer. We may not be able to throw money at problem but we ought to be able to fund another striker, Koeman has alluded to the need himself, but what does he know.

In theory we are but we have yet to pay for either Bertrand or, if we can, Toby. Both of whom I see as more of a priority than another striker.

If Rodriquez comes back ok we will have him, Long, Gallagher able to play through the middle with the added possibility of pushing Mane central or even looking at the likes of Seager in the academy. Failing that Ings on a free in the summer?

Short of finding the 'right' deal for another player on loan I honestly think we are best sitting tight until the summer. I get the 'best chance for fourth' argument but just don't see the same urgency as others perhaps ...

I normally agree with what you post but not this!

Sorry but did the OP actually see the game yesterday? He was pheominal, won just about everything in the air and mostly managed to control and bring other players into the game. Desperately unlucky that his header cannoned off the cross bar. He may not have scored in the last few games but his all round contribution/shots on goal/efforts on target are up there with best.