Graziano Pelle

supersonic

But that's no better than shoving Mane up front? And we couldn't afford Adebayors wages (hence one of the reasons why his West Ham transfer fell through). Not as if he'd have been a good person to have around the team either.

Mane isn't a centre forward he doesn't hold the ball up, Adebayor would have been a gamble sure but we chose not to even roll the dice! At the minute we have no other centre forward at the club capable of sharing the workload that we have put on Pele who looks tired and out of form failing to get anyone even a decent youngster in was criminal I know we weren't going to get a proven super star international but we needed a body to play upfront and we got yet another 2 attacking midfield players!

Mane isn't a centre forward he doesn't hold the ball up, Adebayor would have been a gamble sure but we chose not to even roll the dice! At the minute we have no other centre forward at the club capable of sharing the workload that we have put on Pele who looks tired and out of form failing to get anyone even a decent youngster in was criminal I know we weren't going to get a proven super star international but we needed a body to play upfront and we got yet another 2 attacking midfield players!
So a "body" up front would have delivered as a top 4 level striker for us? Pretty unlikely isn't it.

So a "body" up front would have delivered as a top 4 level striker for us? Pretty unlikely isn't it.

And if that were the case, we have Gallagher fit again soon anyway. Does that count as the 'body' we need?

The truth is it's bloody hard to find quality strikers available in January for the right price who we could afford and that clubs would let go

I was referring to Zarate...

He was screaming at Tadic to go wide constantly in the last 15 mins or so and he wasn't listening which was really piissing Koeman off.

We played into WHU hands in those final 20 or so mins. They just had 2 banks of 4, very close together. We just kept trying to go through the middle and pass our way through. As Koeman was trying to say (and I saw him trying to put this across a few times) we needed to stretch it, pull those banks of 4 around the place. In reality they had 9 men and we made it too much comfortable for them than it should have been. Even though it was kind of like an attack v defense exercise, there wasn't any real stand out opportunities for us in that entire time which tells it's own story.

Would love a top four quality striker at the club as we haven't had one in years! What we need at the minute is an option if Gallagher was fit I would have no problem with him being the option but currently our subs benh doesn't have a single recognised centre forward on it let alone a top four one!

And if that were the case, we have Gallagher fit again soon anyway. Does that count as the 'body' we need?

The truth is it's bloody hard to find quality strikers available in January for the right price who we could afford and that clubs would let go

Gallagher would be fine if he was fit but nobody seems to know when he will be back, we have relied pretty much entirely on Pelle all season and got away with it now when we needed someone to throw into the mix we have nothing.

I was referring to Zarate...

He's a centre forward he would provide the option which we don't have. Mane is already fulfilling a role!

Personally I would have bought a young striker with potential who wanted to come here and have an opportunity, there must be plenty all over Europe who would have jumped at the chance. small fee small risk but gives us the option of having two centre forwards on the pitch when desperate for a goal!

It's not just last night that has made me think this I said many times during the window we needed a striker (almost any would do!) especially after Long got crocked!

Edited by a1ex2001

Not Pelle's fault he is the only striker.

Was a no brainer to sign another in January and we didn't so have to hope he gets going again.

But we couldn't afford anyone decent and there was no point in signing someone just for the sake of it. Basically we gambled on JRod and it didn't work out, or at least hasn't yet.

It should have been apparent to Les Reed in November-December that JayRod wasn't going to feature significantly this season, so I lay the blame fairly and squarely on his shoulders for not bringing in a suitable addition to the squad. Same for Gallagher, who didn't exactly impress last season anyway. We were always one injury away from being in the merde up front.

It should have been apparent to Les Reed in November-December that JayRod wasn't going to feature significantly this season, so I lay the blame fairly and squarely on his shoulders for not bringing in a suitable addition to the squad. Same for Gallagher, who didn't exactly impress last season anyway. We were always one injury away from being in the merde up front.

Impossible to say. Jay Rodriguez was on course, but took a set back. And too much is being made of it just being a case of buying a striker and all is solved. It's not.

We just need more life and movement from the likes of Tadic/Mane/Elia (and now Filip) and we'll see Pelle scoring again.

Impossible to say. Jay Rodriguez was on course, but took a set back. And too much is being made of it just being a case of buying a striker and all is solved. It's not.

We just need more life and movement from the likes of Tadic/Mane/Elia (and now Filip) and we'll see Pelle scoring again.

In fact it's not even as simple as that, we need to get our first XI back on the field and the whole system will fall back into place. Watched the game last night and it looked to me that because we lack a wee bit of class in a couple of areas just now everything becomes complex and mayonnaisey. The balls coming out of the middle aren't right, Toby doesn't just punt out of defence, Gardos and Maya do.

Would love a top four quality striker at the club as we haven't had one in years! What we need at the minute is an option if Gallagher was fit I would have no problem with him being the option but currently our subs benh doesn't have a single recognised centre forward on it let alone a top four one!

Gallagher would be fine if he was fit but nobody seems to know when he will be back, we have relied pretty much entirely on Pelle all season and got away with it now when we needed someone to throw into the mix we have nothing.

He's a centre forward he would provide the option which we don't have. Mane is already fulfilling a role!

Personally I would have bought a young striker with potential who wanted to come here and have an opportunity, there must be plenty all over Europe who would have jumped at the chance. small fee small risk but gives us the option of having two centre forwards on the pitch when desperate for a goal!

It's not just last night that has made me think this I said many times during the window we needed a striker (almost any would do!) especially after Long got crocked!

We don't have a striker on the bench because Long is injured.

The fact you suggest that "almost any would do", makes your point sound a bit ridiculous.

Yep, there are loads of low fee young strikers with potential all over Europe. Leicester signed one and he cost nearly £10m. We didn't have that to spend.

I also assume you've not seen Zarate play if you think he'd do a job and is a centre forward. He certainly wouldn't hold the ball up as you suggested earlier.

We were always one injury away from being in the merde up front.

Koeman has shown he isn't afraid to switch it about if we are depleted in an area.

If Pelle does get injured, I can see him having a play and trying something like this (assuming others back from injury)

Forster

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Reed Morgan Wanyama

Djuricic

Mane Elie

Koeman has shown he isn't afraid to switch it about if we are depleted in an area.

If Pelle does get injured, I can see him having a play and trying something like this (assuming others back from injury)

Forster

Clyne Fonte Toby Bertrand

Reed Morgan Wanyama

Djuricic

Mane Elie

That line up makes the point perfectly I'd rather billy sharp up front!

That line up makes the point perfectly I'd rather billy sharp up front!

The Billy Sharp who's played no premier league games, scored only three in the championship for Leeds and is clearly not good enough for us now.

As opposed to Mané who's scored five in the premier league and is an international striker or Elia who's got two goals already and gets into the Holland squad.

I swear some of our fans know nothing about the sport they follow...

Mane isn't a centre forward he doesn't hold the ball up,

Hate this argument, Aguero and Sanchez manage well enough. The point is that we needed something different yesterday, Mane up front instead of Pelle would have given that. Stop with the balls in the air and use pace to get behind them then fizz low balls into the box.

Hate this argument, Aguero and Sanchez manage well enough. The point is that we needed something different yesterday, Mane up front instead of Pelle would have given that. Stop with the balls in the air and use pace to get behind them then fizz low balls into the box.

Maybe it escaped your notice but there was no space in behind them. They sat very deep with two solid banks and we couldn't get behind them or through them. I was surprised Mane was taken off as he's the only player we have who can run directly at teams with pace. We either needed to stretch the game with width and by moving the ball quickly or the old fashioned get it into the mixer. We did neither and the final ball was poor and often too slow.

The Billy Sharp who's played no premier league games, scored only three in the championship for Leeds and is clearly not good enough for us now.

As opposed to Mané who's scored five in the premier league and is an international striker or Elia who's got two goals already and gets into the Holland squad.

The good, honest, English player trope is very strong with us it seems. The adulation of Lambert, Davis, JWP and Kelvin back when he was around has confirmed this. Hell I remember people around me saying Dean Hammond was better than Schneiderlin at Upton Park in frickin' February 2012 in our promotion season.

Love how everything is taken literally on this forum! Do you seriously believe that the lineup quoted doesn't highlight a worrying lack of striking alternatives in our squad? We should have beg stollen or borrowed a striker in the window it was beedin' obvious to everyone wether we went traditional English lump or cultured international super star we needed an option!

The good, honest, English player trope is very strong with us it seems. The adulation of Lambert, Davis, JWP and Kelvin back when he was around has confirmed this. Hell I remember people around me saying Dean Hammond was better than Schneiderlin at Upton Park in frickin' February 2012 in our promotion season.

Further reinforcing the impression that youre a bit clueless, Hammond didnt come on till the last 5mins in that game.

Davis who isn't even English? Lambert who is one of our all time top goalscorers? Ward-Prowse who is in line for an England call up at 20 years of age after coming through our youth team, making his Premier League debut away to City at 17 and being a regular part of our most successful period since the 80s? Kelvin who holds the record for most clean sheets in a season for Saints and was in the League 1 and Championship teams of the year when we got promoted?

Davis who isn't even English? Lambert who is one of our all time top goalscorers? Ward-Prowse who is in line for an England call up at 20 years of age after coming through our youth team, making his Premier League debut away to City at 17 and being a regular part of our most successful period since the 80s? Kelvin who holds the record for most clean sheets in a season for Saints and was in the League 1 and Championship teams of the year when we got promoted?

Lol. *doffs cap*

Brilliant.

Worth just adding that even poor old "Hell, I remember" Dean Hammond was an excellent servant in our three year rise through the divisions.

But obviously he's rubbish because he's English and honest or something.

Brilliant.

Worth just adding that even poor old "Hell, I remember" Dean Hammond was an excellent servant in our three year rise through the divisions.

But obviously he's rubbish because he's English and honest or something.

And with the English Harrison Reed we finally seem to have found someone to replace Chaplows bite in midfield.

And with the English Harrison Reed we finally seem to have found someone to replace Chaplows bite in midfield.

Saw Chaplow's Uncle the other day. Apparently he has fallen out favour with Holloway after they had a bust up about Chappers being forced to wear a mouthguard in training.

They reckon he will need a complete set of false teeth by the age of 43 if he keeps biting at the current ratio.

Further reinforcing the impression that youre a bit clueless, Hammond didnt come on till the last 5mins in that game.

Mmmhm.

And pre-kick off there were plenty of Saints fans surrounding me who told me I was clueless because I didn't agree that Hammond should have started ahead of him.

Make of that what you will.

• 2 weeks later...

He is - he showed that up to Dec. What he can't do us play every game up against 2 centre halves and have that pressure of scoring on top fir 90mins every game. No other Prem team demands that of their strikers and nor should we. Our terrible spending on strikers is to blame, and you can't blame KL for not trusting another big money striker. We've spend the best part of 30m on second strikers, none of which are adequate. For those lording our transfer history that stands out like a very sore thumb.

As I said in January, our failure to sign a striker in January would cost us. Pelle looks exactly how I imagined he would. For a time I thought I was going to be proved wrong but sadly not. It's time to drop him and try Shane Long up front.

At least Long is mobile, Pelle just doesn't get on to the end of anything. 2 goals in 18 games tells you all you need to know really.

As I said in January, our failure to sign a striker in January would cost us. Pelle looks exactly how I imagined he would. For a time I thought I was going to be proved wrong but sadly not. It's time to drop him and try Shane Long up front.

I'm glad you said that in January.

• 9 months later...
Absolutely gash

No pace

Little movement

Gash attitude

We need to learn how to play without him.

First up he's not training much these days because of his knee injury and second we have nobody else because the club ****ed up.

If we don't buy someone at the start of January we could be in trouble. Of course we may end up paying over the odds but it could save you more in terms of relegation.

At least Long is mobile, Pelle just doesn't get on to the end of anything. 2 goals in 18 games tells you all you need to know really.

10 month old quotes and Koeman still persists

Absolutely gash

No pace

Little movement

Gash attitude

We need to learn how to play without him.

Don't sit on the fence Batman, tell us what you really think! Strange that Toby seems to rate him but what does he know? I agree he is not the most mobile player but if he has to have an injection in his knee to play then perhaps he really shouldn't be starting at the moment.

Edited by sadoldgit

if he has to have an injection in his knee to play then perhaps he really shouldn't be starting at the moment.

That's the worrying thing, because we really don't have another option. Long is not a viable option.

Pelle is usually one of our best players, always puts in the effort (not running around like Long, because that would be pointless) and had a great start to the season. He's in a low ebb of confidence like a lot of our players. I think we do need to sign a striker in the window and ease our dependency on him.

Edited by DuncanRG

Don't sit on the fence Batman, tell us what you really think? Strange that Toby seems to rate him but what does he know. I agree he is not the most mobile player but if he has to have an injection in his knee to play then perhaps he really shouldn't be starting at the moment.

an injection should not mean he has an 'air shot' as the ball is rolled to him across the area, 8 yards out in front of goal.

he is just an average player at best who has had two purple patches at this club.

he went 14 games without a goal at this time last year. looks like to be happening again

That's the worrying thing, because we really don't have another option. Long is not a viable option.

Pelle is usually one of our best players, always puts in the effort (not running around like Long, because that would be pointless) and had a great start to the season. He's in a low ebb of confidence like a lot of our players. I think we do need to sign a striker in the window and ease our dependency on him.

I don't think he's low on confidence. Just the opposite in fact, over confident. Yesterday he was a complete and utter donkey. We have to find an alternative, he is just not good enough to be our only option, and has occasional purple patches at the start of the season and then goes months without looking like scoring. I also don't buy it when people say its a lack of service, he gets decent service but cannot deal with.

I don't think he's low on confidence. Just the opposite in fact, over confident. Yesterday he was a complete and utter donkey. We have to find an alternative, he is just not good enough to be our only option, and has occasional purple patches at the start of the season and then goes months without looking like scoring. I also don't buy it when people say its a lack of service, he gets decent service but cannot deal with.

I think only united have put more crosses in than us with only spurs, city, arsenal and liverpool having more shots than us.

he gets decent service. he rarely moves for it. rarely beats his defender, rarely gets across his man, defends from the front, moves CBs around. UNLESS the ball is almost perfect for him.

one point a ball was crossed in, long got across his man and got a nick on it to send the ball across the goal, pelle was just stood there by the penalty spot instead of anticipating the ball getting put into that area, which is basic stuff for a striker.

That is nothing new. it is what he does. every now and then he will have a game like he did at chelsea. but that was way too far and few between.

Edited by Batman

I think only united have put more crosses in than us with only spurs, city, arsenal and liverpool having more shots than us.

he gets decent service. he rarely moves for it. rarely beats his defender, rarely gets across his man, defends from the front, moves CBs around. UNLESS the ball is almost perfect for him.

one point a ball was crossed in, long got across his man and got a nick on it to send the ball across the goal, pelle was just stood there by the penalty spot instead of anticipating the ball getting put into that area, which is basic stuff for a striker.

That is nothing new. it is what he does. every now and then he will have a game like he did at chelsea. but that was way too far and few between.

He is very static and never makes a run on the off chance, often spectating waiting for the perfect pass and has obviously never heard of taking his marker for a walk to create openings for runners (Mane mostly). Austin on the other hand gets a lot of his goals by being on the move in the box and first to the ball.