Fondest signing of the Liebherr era

eelpie

Rickie is almost too easy an answer, he was beyond anything we could ever have expected.

I'm going with the bloke in my avatar. Jose Fonte, still with us after joining in League 1. If he could go from the JPT to the CL that would be astonishing.

Lambert. He was the first signing since Saganowski where I actually thought 'we've gone and bought someone properly decent.' Actually it's weird now thinking that they played in the same team briefly.

Lambert, Fonte, Puncheon, Cork, Barnard and Sharp all stick in my mind as thinking 'we've done this properly, they are proven to be the best on the market'. There have been other decent signings but those were the players I knew would do a decent job the moment we signed them, admittedly Puncheon had his ups and downs.

Lambert. He was the first signing since Saganowski where I actually thought 'we've gone and bought someone properly decent.' Actually it's weird now thinking that they played in the same team briefly.

Lambert, Fonte, Puncheon, Cork, Barnard and Sharp all stick in my mind as thinking 'we've done this properly, they are proven to be the best on the market'. There have been other decent signings but those were the players I knew would do a decent job the moment we signed them, admittedly Puncheon had his ups and downs.

Quite, wow that was a world away!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8200493.stm

Rasiak started that game too!!

Quite, wow that was a world away!

http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_2/8200493.stm

Rasiak started that game too!!

Two players who you kind of put in a seperate era in your mind.

Gareth Bale's professional debut was spent playing just behind Marian Pahars. That's another one which sounds kind of weird when I think of it. That was actually Marian's last game for us, a 2-0 win over Millwall.

Even more incredible as a sign of how much we've grown as a club is that Schneiderlin was subbed in favour of Jacob Mellis!

Somewhere on here is a thread with a poll, where on average we decided we'd rather have Wotton in the team. Shows how far Morgan has come, he was poor in his first season and inconsistent in his second.

Somewhere on here is a thread with a poll, where on average we decided we'd rather have Wotton in the team. Shows how far Morgan has come, he was poor in his first season and inconsistent in his second.

So easy in hindsight.

My prefered CM pairing in the championship was Morgan and Chaplow, so, y'know......

Did like Chappers.

Lambert and Fonte.

I mean basically the spine of Fonte, Morgan and Lambert got us through to where we are today.

What's funny to think is they all cost around £1 - 1.5 million, yet are all now playing (and excelling) in the Premier League, are all full internationals, we are scoffing at rumoured £25 million bids for Morgan and I heard Fonte be mentioned as one of the best centre backs in the league this season.

Still Rickie, for me. Loved that guy to bits. L1 to PL, JPT final to England debut - all of it, superb. Seemed a top bloke who handled his exit with class, the letter was well-pitched.

Still bear him no ills for leaving for Liverpool. Also, I can honestly say I've never celebrated an England goal like that before.

Think it came from years of telling people just how clinical he was...

This. Really like Billy sharp as a bloke and was chuffed to bits when we signed him, especially after what happened.

What the hell happened after we signed him though? He was invaluable until we got over the promotion line, but did he actually play any premiership minutes for us? I've still never understood that. Surely he wouldn't have signed for us if he'd realised he was basically moving here as a makeweight goal poacher without a shot at playing in the prem if we went up. And that was all under Nigel, so we can't even use the excuse that a new manager didn't rate him.

Fonte

Pretty sure he dropped a division to be with us. I'm mates with a palarse fan who couldn't believe he made the drop. Continues to be an integral part of our defence and the longer he plays the more I'm impressed by him . He has an amazing football brain and makes the right choices time and time again.

It would be easy to say Lambert. But as Adkins used to say strikers win games, defenders win promotions

Two players who you kind of put in a seperate era in your mind.

Gareth Bale's professional debut was spent playing just behind Marian Pahars. That's another one which sounds kind of weird when I think of it. That was actually Marian's last game for us, a 2-0 win over Millwall.

Looking at this it looked like he played at left back; http://news.bbc.co.uk/sport1/hi/football/eng_div_1/4906698.stm

Weird that McGoldrick started, 3 seasons before he became a regular starter under Poortvliet.

What the hell happened after we signed him though? He was invaluable until we got over the promotion line, but did he actually play any premiership minutes for us? I've still never understood that. Surely he wouldn't have signed for us if he'd realised he was basically moving here as a makeweight goal poacher without a shot at playing in the prem if we went up. And that was all under Nigel, so we can't even use the excuse that a new manager didn't rate him.

He definitely played for us, at home to Wigan maybe?

Billy Sharp came on as a sub once, did well, but Nigel never played him again. So we will never know if he could have made the grade. Seems sad, and in hindsight it seems a cynical signing by Adkins, just to use Billy's goal scoring abilities to get us promotion, but not to use him in the Premiership.

Couldn't have done any worse than Mayuka.

Jonno Quick.

Two goals vs. MK Dons that kept our promotion chase alive.

In terms of impact per minute he's got to be up there.

He did me endless laughs, not least of all for Niges hype of him when he signed. "When someone says to me he's quick, I always ask 'is he Jonno quick?" Course you do Nige.

Kelvin Davies, when we was relegated he had the chance to walk and sign for West Ham instead he stayed and whilst not the best keeper in the world he showed loyalty which is not something we see often.

That's not to take anything away from SRL, Fonte or Hammond etc

Signed well before the Liebherr era though, back in 2006.

Signed well before the Liebherr era though, back in 2006.

read what he's said though, Kelvin could have gone and been West Hams reserve on I assume much more money than we were paying but unlike so many footballers he chose first team football in a lower division on less money. That's as good as a signing for me.