City - can we catch them up ?

alpine_saint

Some mental case has hacked alpine's account... ;)

Seriously though why not? This group of players have such a strong belief in themselves, we as their fans owe it to them to share that belief. I'm gonna stop looking over our shoulders and expecting equalisers that never come - this is a new Saints. Let's go for it.

Just looking at their fixtures, Middlesborough next - unbeaten in the prem this season, then Chelsea, they'll get murdered at Chelsea, then Hull & Stoke, two teams due a result, v.tricky, then Newcastle who'll prob have new manager, Newcastle will win that, then they've still got to play Barcelona home & away - can't see them picking up any points there.

Think they'll finish about 8th.

They're the one team we've played this year that were clearly better than us on the day. I would think it's pretty unlikely we catch them. Certainly unlikely we'll be ahead at the end of the season.

Yet we matched Arsenal, and come out on top twice out of three games, who just beat city. This is one the most open PL seasons in years I'm not ruling anything out (or in) anymore.

Those who are saying that there's no chance of finishing above Man City were probably saying there's no chance of being in the top 3 after 22 games and looking like real challengers for champs league.

We play Swansea (h) next and they play Chelsea (a). We could be breathing down their necks with at least another 5 winnable fixtures to follow and hopefully more of our 1st team regulars coming back.

This is an unusual and exciting season and it's going to be a dog fight to the end IMO, anything is possible.

Nope. Bad result. Really needed city to win that.

This I'm afraid.

I hate to say it but its plain old head-in-the-sand stuff to pretend that wasn't a crippling result for us. Arsenal gaining three points where its quite likely all their other rivals for the top four will get none whatsoever (In fact, Liverpool, United and Spurs have all already lost there, so its only us to go) is huge.

Take a look at the market on Betfair.

Arsenal have plummeted from 1.8 to 1.45 to finish top four on the back of that result alone, with us shooting up from around 2.1 to 2.65.

You can 'control the controllables' all you like but ultimately, us finishing top four is contingent on us getting to a specific points target, and that points target has just had three added onto it that if we do finish with the 72-73 or so that many of us thought was achievable, could make all the difference I'm sorry to say.

Catching City is pie-in-the-sky stuff.

Lol.,....what has happened to you Alpine?

FWIW, I think Saints just need to keep winning games and not worry about the other teams. Good news is that Liverpool are still 7 points behind despite being on a good run (they will have a blip at some stage), Spurs 5 points (with tough run of games coming up). 3rd to 8th (including West Ham) is where we will finish and its too tight to call right now.

If we win 5 of the next 6 then I would say we are in with a shout of catching City for 2nd.

What are people on?

Today's result was a bad one for us, make no mistake about that. City & Chelsea will be top 2 , so we need them to beat all the rest around us. If their top striker gets injured they have Bony & Dzeko , we have Long & Gallaghar. They were poor today, but their squad is far far superior to ours.

What are people on?

Today's result was a bad one for us, make no mistake about that. City & Chelsea will be top 2 , so we need them to beat all the rest around us. If their top striker gets injured they have Bony & Dzeko , we have Long & Gallaghar. They were poor today, but their squad is far far superior to ours.

That implies we're happy where we are.....why should you ever be happy and not trying to constantly improve?...5 point gap at the minute?....it's do able.

It's really not do able.

Anyone who thinks today was a good result for us is deluded IMO.

Negative Nancy!!....I agree, it wasn't a brilliant result for us but hey ho, let's take a quote from Nige "Positive Mental Attitude" and lets get on the bus!....Seriously though, yes, they are a better side and we do play them at the end of the season so it's probably not gonna happen but it'd be fun to try!

That implies we're happy where we are.....why should you ever be happy and not trying to constantly improve?...5 point gap at the minute?....it's do able.

Today's result was a bad one for us. We need chelsea and the mancs to take points off the teams below us. I'd far rather arsenal hadn't gained on us than citeh pulling away into one of the two spots they'll occupy anyway.

Don't think we will catch City and Arsenal winning was a terrible result for us. However one small silver lining, if Chelsea have title sown up by last day and we have potential to get Champions League over Arsenal/Spurs or especially Man U, we might see City ease off in that game.

Best thing for us is if Chelsea have won the league by the time we play city. We're the more likely to have something to play for

Technically not true ;) the BEST thing for us would be for US to have won the league by the time we play them so we have nothing to play for :lol:

Seriously though as crazy as it is we could overtake them for a bit! The opportunity is there!This is such a weird season!

We won't catch city.

Don't be daft

They had a bad day today and have the toughest fixture there is next weekend (which we also have to come)

They will also have 4 of the top 5 scorers in the league during 2014 when bony is back, let alone yaya toure

LOL