Steven Davis

verlaine1979

What has been given no air on here is that Gabbiadini had bust a gut to get into the box after the Davis pass and was level with Redmond with an open goal in front of him; Redmond could easily have slipped a simple pass to him instead of shooting without looking up.
That's a fair point. I think that Redmond was entitled to shoot from there but should have been on target. It underlines the weakness in his game - his vision and ability to look up and pick a pass (as Davis did to him) aren't good.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

Anyone see Brady's pass for Burnley's equaliser today?

He's hardly a world-class attacking midfield player but I've just seen him do something Davis has never done *once* whilst at Saints.

Ridiculous. It was a good ball, called for by Wood, but ultimately put into an area. It could, and probably should have been dealt with, but to say Steve Davis has never played a ball like that just proves that you'll write anything to pursue your vendetta, no matter how utterly silly it is.

The thing about Davis is that without someone like him, the ball never goes through the middle of the park. Romeu is forced to play balls over the top which are difficult to get right. Otherwise, Cedric/Bertie play it down the wings. But playing it on the pitch through the middle requires someone like Davis to pick the ball up from midfield and bring it forward. I think he isn't the best goalscorer (not bad though in the box), nor the fastest, but he does link up play very well.

PEH also tries this way of playing also (short passes, triangles to get past opposition, playing incisive passes to the strikers) but loses the ball too often and doesn't know what to do with his feet in the final third.

I think until we replace him we need Davis to be playing in attack, such is our lack of intelligent creative play. Tadic manages some trickery in bouts but Davis puts in so much more effort than him. He's 32 and works harder than many out there.

Davis should be at least in the starting 11, even if he gets replaced due to fatigue in the second half.

Now Lemina is in, I would put Davis almost as a #10 with Gabbiadini/Boufal out wide and Austin up front. Or else change Austin for JWP and switch the positions.

The thing about Davis is that without someone like him, the ball never goes through the middle of the park. Romeu is forced to play balls over the top which are difficult to get right. Otherwise, Cedric/Bertie play it down the wings. But playing it on the pitch through the middle requires someone like Davis to pick the ball up from midfield and bring it forward. I think he isn't the best goalscorer (not bad though in the box), nor the fastest, but he does link up play very well.

PEH also tries this way of playing also (short passes, triangles to get past opposition, playing incisive passes to the strikers) but loses the ball too often and doesn't know what to do with his feet in the final third.

I think until we replace him we need Davis to be playing in attack, such is our lack of intelligent creative play. Tadic manages some trickery in bouts but Davis puts in so much more effort than him. He's 32 and works harder than many out there.

Davis should be at least in the starting 11, even if he gets replaced due to fatigue in the second half.

Now Lemina is in, I would put Davis almost as a #10 with Gabbiadini/Boufal out wide and Austin up front. Or else change Austin for JWP and switch the positions.

Good post.

Like I said, the BBC commentator summed it up quite differently, and having watched the move repeatedly, all I see are four over-excited Huddersfield players getting sucked into the ball early on. But sure, feel free to rely on journalistic penchant for cliche and received wisdom all you like.

Try watching the Sky highlights and listening to the Sky commentator (happened to be Ian Dowie), reaction was that it was "a glorious ball, which Davis often does, superb" (have to paraphrase a bit because I have deleted the recording now). If you were to judge the game based purely on the Sky highlights (which I wouldn't) then you would be hard pressed to pick someone other than Davis from Saints for MOTM, made several great passes and defensively made some very telling tackles and interceptions. I don't think Davis has been great now for the last season but your continued, obsessive attacks on him, clearly based on some personal dislike for him, really are beyond the pale. I strongly believe we could do better than Davo, but we don't have anyone at the Club who is better at the moment, something which needs to be addressed given his age. Just wish you would give over with your personal vendetta.

Davo is better in the three in attack, as opposed to the two central. He's got a good eye for a pass, good close control. He is definitely a position we need to try and evolve within the next year or so though. One of the better players at the w/e.

Try watching the Sky highlights and listening to the Sky commentator (happened to be Ian Dowie), reaction was that it was "a glorious ball, which Davis often does, superb" (have to paraphrase a bit because I have deleted the recording now). If you were to judge the game based purely on the Sky highlights (which I wouldn't) then you would be hard pressed to pick someone other than Davis from Saints for MOTM, made several great passes and defensively made some very telling tackles and interceptions. I don't think Davis has been great now for the last season but your continued, obsessive attacks on him, clearly based on some personal dislike for him, really are beyond the pale. I strongly believe we could do better than Davo, but we don't have anyone at the Club who is better at the moment, something which needs to be addressed given his age. Just wish you would give over with your personal vendetta.

Your inability to imagine that my criticism of his ability stems from anything other than a personal vendetta is a weird quirk of character that I guess you'll just have to live with. As I've already explained many times, if he wasn't constantly held up as an exceptional player (indeed at one point hailed as our best signing in 40 years on here) I'd never have bothered speaking up, just as I rarely bother saying anything about the other mediocrities making fine careers for themselves in our squad. It's only that the praise of his contribution is so massively overblown by the weird alliance of hipsters and nostalgics that make up his fan club that I felt compelled to point out that you're all completely deluded.

Your inability to imagine that my criticism of his ability stems from anything other than a personal vendetta is a weird quirk of character that I guess you'll just have to live with. As I've already explained many times, if he wasn't constantly held up as an exceptional player (indeed at one point hailed as our best signing in 40 years on here) I'd never have bothered speaking up, just as I rarely bother saying anything about the other mediocrities making fine careers for themselves in our squad. It's only that the praise of his contribution is so massively overblown by the weird alliance of hipsters and nostalgics that make up his fan club that I felt compelled to point out that you're all completely deluded.
Ah yes, of course. Everyone else is deluded with quirks of character. It couldn't possibly be you that has the problem.

And I've never said Davis is exceptional. He's a good player and an important member of the team. It's you who seems determined to portray him as poor - he simply isn't.

If you're only interested in teams full of superstars, perhaps you should go and do your glory hunting elsewhere.

LOL. You really can't see what everyone else (with perhaps 2 exceptions) see about you is really quite concerning. No-one ever holds Davis up as an exceptional player (because he isn't) but for some reason in your strange little obsessed world you think they do. Where is this massively overblown praise of his contribution? There is no evidence of it, except in your mind. The evidence on this thread, started by you of course, is that no-one thinks he is exceptional, but most can see his worth and that he does a lot of good things as well as a lot of mediocre and poor things. But you obsess about him and criticise him whether he has played well or not, your grounds of criticism are pathetic in most cases and you never/rarely criticise in the same way anyone else, several other players were absolutely **** poor again this week (Tadic, Redmond to name but two) but your obsession with Davis just goes on and on and on. We get it, you hate him, for some reason, now just give it a rest. We need to replace Davis soon, he has been a great servant to the club and has never been considered by anyone reasonable as an exceptional player. Ever. Move on.

In fairness, although you talk absolute ******** you are entertaining. That post actually made me laugh out loud! lol

LOL. You really can't see what everyone else (with perhaps 2 exceptions) see about you is really quite concerning. No-one ever holds Davis up as an exceptional player (because he isn't) but for some reason in your strange little obsessed world you think they do. Where is this massively overblown praise of his contribution? There is no evidence of it, except in your mind. The evidence on this thread, started by you of course, is that no-one thinks he is exceptional, but most can see his worth and that he does a lot of good things as well as a lot of mediocre and poor things. But you obsess about him and criticise him whether he has played well or not, your grounds of criticism are pathetic in most cases and you never/rarely criticise in the same way anyone else, several other players were absolutely **** poor again this week (Tadic, Redmond to name but two) but your obsession with Davis just goes on and on and on. We get it, you hate him, for some reason, now just give it a rest. We need to replace Davis soon, he has been a great servant to the club and has never been considered by anyone reasonable as an exceptional player. Ever. Move on.

Hmm has 'most underrated player in the PL' simply been a synonym for 'average' all these years? If so, please accept my apology, I obviously missed that memo about how we're all using superlatives differently in English now.

Oh, and Iain Dowie? Mediocre Northern Irish ex-pro over-praises current Northern Ireland captain? Colour me surprised.

Hmm has 'most underrated player in the PL' simply been a synonym for 'average' all these years? If so, please accept my apology, I obviously missed that memo about how we're all using superlatives differently in English now.

Oh, and Iain Dowie? Mediocre Northern Irish ex-pro over-praises current Northern Ireland captain? Colour me surprised.

There was a time Davis was held up as an "unsung hero" and "very underrated", but not sure many have labelled him that in the past couple of seasons. Feels like, in the face of what you may reasonably have thought was unjustified hype, you went overboard in the other direction to compensate (I think many are guilty of this, myself included!) but you've continued with this extreme rhetoric even though people are no longer claiming Davis to be anything more than "best of our average options".

Ridiculous. It was a good ball, called for by Wood, but ultimately put into an area. It could, and probably should have been dealt with, but to say Steve Davis has never played a ball like that just proves that you'll write anything to pursue your vendetta, no matter how utterly silly it is.

Please provide me with an example of Steven Davis playing a defence-splitting assist that took out 3/4 players.

It isn't a vendetta. I simply don't rate Steven Davis because he's a bang average footballer. That's all.

Please provide me with an example of Steven Davis playing a defence-splitting assist that took out 3/4 players.

It isn't a vendetta. I simply don't rate Steven Davis because he's a bang average footballer. That's all.

Davis is something of an unsung hero, a bit like Marsden used to be. He offers more than most of our other midfielders. His work rate, drive to win and skill are sorely missed when he doesn't play. The Wolves game was crying out for him to come on.

It is hilarious that other Premier League managers can't see what the wise old-timers in our fanbase can see; that Davis is a fantastic player and has been integral to our success.

Wenger, Pochettino, Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Conte... none of them have come in with a bid for Steven Davis! Its outrageous isn't? They must be clueless about football.

Well if Redmond finished againat Huddersfield then that would have been one...

It is hilarious that other Premier League managers can't see what the wise old-timers in our fanbase can see; that Davis is a fantastic player and has been integral to our success.

Wenger, Pochettino, Mourinho, Guardiola, Klopp, Conte... none of them have come in with a bid for Steven Davis! Its outrageous isn't? They must be clueless about football.

Wait till you are an old-timer and the penny might eventually drop.

Davis has had about 3 bad games for us, in a top flight league, since he signed. You can only really say the same about VVD and up until this season, Bertrand. That is the sign of a great player. Also - he gives his all which is more than some of our players are doing at the moment.

Evidence for the prosecution #1 - this is utter, utter tripe, and nobody other than Davis would get such blinkered, revisionist benefit of the doubt.

Davis has had about 3 bad games for us, in a top flight league, since he signed. You can only really say the same about VVD and up until this season, Bertrand. That is the sign of a great player. Also - he gives his all which is more than some of our players are doing at the moment.

:lol::lol::lol:

I like Davis, don't get me wrong, but this is up there with the biggest load of sh!t I've seen on here to date.

At best, he is a good player. He isn't and never has been great and he's defiantly had more than 3 bad games. For me, most of the time, he's consistent. He doesn't really impose himself on games but in the same light, doesn't really do a great deal wrong.

I assume that given this blatant biased opinion, you are mates with him (hence your snippets of ITK)?

:lol::lol::lol:

I like Davis, don't get me wrong, but this is up there with the biggest load of sh!t I've seen on here to date.

At best, he is a good player. He isn't and never has been great and he's defiantly had more than 3 bad games. For me, most of the time, he's consistent. He doesn't really impose himself on games but in the same light, doesn't really do a great deal wrong.

I assume that given this blatant biased opinion, you are mates with him (hence your snippets of ITK)?

Is it "up there" with the Bertrand is "definitely going" sh!t ;)

Seriously?! He has had more than a handful of poor games, but crucially he has quite a lot of games where he is just 'ok'.

You're not really helping the cause here LeG, a few posts ago I said that no-one really claims Davis is anything more than average nowadays, and here you are saying he's on par with VVD and Bertrand!

You're right that I can't imagine Davis downing tools or not putting in the effort, which makes him a good captain, reliable squad player or decent first teamer, but that alone doesn't make him a top player that we can't improve on.

We've all fancied an improvement on Davis for years, but the reality is those players are really hard to find. A player who scores goals from midfield is rare enough, but add in his link-up play, defensive work and (now) leadership role? Players who can do all that to a higher level don't play for Saints.

As has been said, there's a reason he's been in the first XI through five years and as many managers. We still miss him when he's out, which will become a more pressing issue the older he gets.

Edited by DuncanRG

He ducked in the wall facing a free-kick in a Cup final.

He was pushed by Mata actually - get your facts right.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbfQ0sxJAMo

Pause at 1.44. You can clearly see Davis on the end of the wall and Mata is nowhere near him by the time the ball is struck.

Davis doesn't have the balls or winning mentality to overcome the instinct to duck, and waves his head vaguely at the ball once its past.

For me, this totally confirmed my suspicions about the Davis-worship on here; that he is given undue praise because he's a 'hard-working British player'. If Mane, Boufal or Ramirez ducked in the wall during a cup final they'd be slaughtered on here. As it was Davis, its just erased from the history books.

I mean compare this little incident to Guly failing to come off the post and clear a header in our game against Pompey back in 11/12 and the stick he got for every single game after that.

Pause at 1.44. You can clearly see Davis on the end of the wall and Mata is nowhere near him by the time the ball is struck.

Davis doesn't have the balls or winning mentality to overcome the instinct to duck, and waves his head vaguely at the ball once its past.

For me, this totally confirmed my suspicions about the Davis-worship on here; that he is given undue praise because he's a 'hard-working British player'. If Mane, Boufal or Ramirez ducked in the wall during a cup final they'd be slaughtered on here. As it was Davis, its just erased from the history books.

I mean compare this little incident to Guly failing to come off the post and clear a header in our game against Pompey back in 11/12 and the stick he got for every single game after that.

That may be true of Sadoldgit and a few others but not sure how much it applies across-the-board on here.

Edited by shurlock

To be fair, sadoldgit has a bit of a xenophobic past so posts lauding a hard working brit over a foreigner wouldn't surprise me

I could be wrong but I thought in some of the Lounge discussions, sadoldgit tended to argue against those with more xenophobic views.

I could be wrong but I thought in some of the Lounge discussions, sadoldgit tended to argue against those with more xenophobic views.

Don't let SOG fool you - he's your classic NIMBY. He talks a good game in the abstract, especially if it's to bash others; but when it comes to the crunch, he's as little England as they come.

I'm ambivalent about Davis but I don't think he is ducking there.

I still cant understand how that went in, but it is history.

Davis is a hardworking player who with a bit more guile would not be at SFC but a top 6 club. Anyone any good gets taken away.

Davis is a very intelligent player and his passing is first class. But he often slows up play and he doesn't score anywhere near enough goals for someone of his ability. Playing deep, passing the ball around, would be ideal for him. But he isn't a number 10 and I would rather see JWP, Holjberg or Tadic playing alongside Oriel or Lamina in midfield.

Don't talk such rubbish man! Faced with a football ball coming straight at their heads at 75mph from 15 yds away every bugger would duck, you see it week, in week out at every match everywhere. It's a natural safety instinct over which one has little control unless you really are up for suicide and on drugs. Easy to be a brave critic from your armchair, just get out there and see what you would do.

And christ that video reminds me how much I hate Herrera.

Slight problem with that logic. It means no one can ever question a premier league manager. Yet premier league managers have differing opinions, like different players, play different tactics, get different performances from players, sign different players. There are good and bad managers.

You might have some opinions on players that are the same as one group of managers, and completely different to another group.

Regardless, it always seems an odd move to tell people on a football forum they shouldn't be having football opinions unless employed in football management.

Even odder then that the only reason other managers were mentioned is that Davis continuing to be picked by consecutive Saints managers was held up as evidence that he must be great (rather than simply the only player available).

Saints fans of all people could be forgiven for thinking you have to attract top-level clubs to be good enough for Southampton but in reality, Davis is perfect for how we play, even if he wouldn't cut it at the big boys.

Even odder then that the only reason other managers were mentioned is that Davis continuing to be picked by consecutive Saints managers was held up as evidence that he must be great (rather than simply the only player available).

Eh? All five managers have had the chance to sign replacements and not seen fit to do so.

Maybe they would consider buying him if he was 25 instead of 32! Fortunately for us, no big club is likely to poach a 32 year old.

I'm not saying he's the best link-up midfielder ever, but he's certainly the best in our current squad in that position.

If the black box can find a 23 year old 'next Frank Lampard' to replace Davis, then great. Or maybe PEH will become good enough one day.

What an odd post

• 2 weeks later...