Steven Davis

verlaine1979

Last ten games (give or take) he's dithered and lost possession so many times that I think had any other player in the squad done similar there'd have been a witch hunt by now. I'm not entirely sure what he's done that renders him so immune to criticism, but I suppose that in itself is a talent of sorts.

JWP now proving himself vastly more productive, so once our injury/AFCON issues are over, would be disappointed to see Davis a regular starter.

This is almost as bad as the people that used to think Matt Oakley was a waste of space. Unbelievable.

Steve Davis has been shown several times now to be what really makes us tick, especially when he plays in the attacking role. Yesterday until Jack Cork came on he had to play in defensive role, and was still excellent. You realise how much he affects the team only when he is missing. He also does not get the plaudits that JWP gets because he has so often played the killer pass that leads on to the assist and then the goal, one reason I don't go with the "assist" stat.

Last ten games (give or take) he's dithered and lost possession so many times that I think had any other player in the squad done similar there'd have been a witch hunt by now. I'm not entirely sure what he's done that renders him so immune to criticism, but I suppose that in itself is a talent of sorts.

JWP now proving himself vastly more productive, so once our injury/AFCON issues are over, would be disappointed to see Davis a regular starter.

Agreed. He has to be one of our most over rated players.

Could not disagree more. Highly adaptable player who excels in doing things very well, but simply. Was highlighted in the Sky build up yesterday where none other than MLT said how valuable he is to the team. And when RK wanted to improve us yesterday, he removed JWP so that SD could do the job he does best, just behind Pelle. Brilliant and underrated player

To be fair to verlaine1979, approximately 85% of his/her posts on the forum are negative towards Davis, so top marks for consistency :)

Good job I'm not a conspiracy theorist otherwise I might be inclined to suspect some kind of agenda going on here.

Edited by trousers

Excellent player, and very consistent, but the OP is right. Davis has given the ball away on quite a few big occasions recently, and it has led to a goal at least once at home to City. He's still been very good in these games but it's something he never used to do, and it's very odd that it's suddenly crept into his game.

To be fair to verlaine1979, approximately 85% of his/her posts on the forum are negative towards Davis, so top marks for consistency :)

Good job I'm not a conspiracy theorist otherwise I might be inclined to suspect some kind of agenda going on here.

Good spot...how odd, nearly every one of his posts are critising Davis. Peculiar.

Is verlaine Jack Cork?

Excellent player, and very consistent, but the OP is right. Davis has given the ball away on quite a few big occasions recently, and it has led to a goal at least once at home to City. He's still been very good in these games but it's something he never used to do, and it's very odd that it's suddenly crept into his game.

Yes, but most of our midfield have been guilty of that on the odd occasion - Vic, Morgan, JWP. One of the things I like about SD's game is that ability to burst out of defensive mid-field at speed before making a penetrating pass; if someone like JWP is to be his successor it's a quality he needs to add to his game.

Interesting how we can all have different perspectives. In the Ipswich replay when Steven Davis was on the bench for the first half, I thought there was an immediate improvement when he came on. As for JWP, consistently making a very positive contribution to the team but against Newcastle I thought the impact of three away games in quick succession was showing and he seemed to make more wayward passes than is usual. Having said that, his contribution to the goals was priceless.

You sir, are clueless

I cannot believe you are being serious?

Thank ****, I thought I was the only one thinking this. Everyone keeps going on about how "underrated" he is, which contradicts itself when you think about it but he constantly loses possession, his passes go stray often. I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone raves about him. With that being said though, we always look a weaker team without him.

No he's an excellent player, a true all rounder, I don't really think he has any weaknesses in his game, though he doesn't excel at anything either but his all round technique and passing have made us tick this year. Plus his work rate is off the chart.

Having said that, I prefer JWP in the space behind Pelle, I think since he has moved there from the right he has looked excellent and his game intelligence, vision and passing have been second to none. Now he just needs to add some goals to his game.

Nice problem to have though, I mean for us to have Cork, Morgan, Wanyama, Davis and JWP (and now Reed) competing for those central midfield spots we are really spoiled. Especially when you look at a club like Arsenal have to put up with in their defensive mid positions.

I have to admit, for the first season I wondered if we might as well have taken Dean Hammond to the PL with us, very underwhelmed, but

this is the sort of player every team needs. Industrious and such a great engine, the only thing he lacks is finishing, He must have missed two three nailed on's this season, but wouldn't be without him, his bursts forwards are what we don't get from Morgan and Victor.

Thank ****, I thought I was the only one thinking this. Everyone keeps going on about how "underrated" he is, which contradicts itself when you think about it but he constantly loses possession, his passes go stray often. I can't for the life of me figure out why everyone raves about him. With that being said though, we always look a weaker team without him.

Well, you're in a minority of 3 on a thread of nearly 40 posts so maybe you need to reassess your opinion of him (or your understanding of football)

'his passes go stray often' - funny that his pass completion is nearly 87% this season. Better than Fabregas and Silva amongst others.

Well, you're in a minority of 3 on a thread of nearly 40 posts so maybe you need to reassess your opinion of him (or your understanding of football)

'his passes go stray often' - funny that his pass completion is nearly 87% this season. Better than Fabregas and Silva amongst others.

I'm one of the three but I don't think his passes go astray often OR that he's been performing badly, quite the opposite. But i've noticed that almost every game he's caught in possession because he's held onto the ball too long. But as I said, other than those instances his performances are still brilliant and he'd still be in the team every week for me - just needs to cut out the moments where he dawdles on the ball under pressure.

Talk about contradiction! If we look a weaker team without him, then he must be doing something right, eh? :rolleyes: