Steven Davis

verlaine1979

According to the following study, Steven Davis was the most positively influential player in the Saints team last season, just ahead of Romeu and VVD:

http://www.bbc.com/sport/football/40974299

Unsurprisingly, Tadic has the most negative influence.

From a purely attacking point of view though Tadic has 15 goals and 24 assists in a 101 PL appearances Steven Davis 14 goals and 19 assists in 283 PL appearances.

From a purely attacking point of view though Tadic has 15 goals and 24 assists in a 101 PL appearances Steven Davis 14 goals and 19 assists in 283 PL appearances.

You'd expect Tadic to be even further ahead, to be honest. Davis isn't played in the same forward role that Tadic is... Davis has far more defensive responsibilities (and also is used more to link play between defense and attack), even when playing in the 3 behind the striker.

Edited by syd_barrett_saint

You'd expect Tadic to be even further ahead, to be honest. Davis isn't played in the same forward role that Tadic is... Davis has far more defensive responsibilities (and also is used more to link play between defense and attack), even when playing in the 3 behind the striker.

He's more than three times as productive in attack than Davis - how much better do you want him to be? And it was only last season that Davis ended up being shunted regularly back into central midfield - he's played an awful lot of games for us as the central attacking midfielder with Tadic directly alongside on left or right.

Given the disparity in games played I can't see why you'd expect Tadic to be further ahead.

Given the disparity in games played I can't see why you'd expect Tadic to be further ahead.

As I said, different types of player. The success or failure of a player like Davis isn't judged only on goals and assists. That would be like judging Forster just on clean sheets when often in recent seasons it's been more down to having such good defenders in front of him that he has very little to do.

• 3 months later...

A joke how he keeps getting picked. Sideways or backwards passing, slows play down. When he’s played recently (with the exception of a terrible Everton team) we’ve been appalling. When will he finally be dropped, or will this not happen because he’s captain and British?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

A joke how he keeps getting picked. Sideways or backwards passing, slows play down. When he’s played recently (with the exception of a terrible Everton team) we’ve been appalling. When will he finally be dropped, or will this not happen because he’s captain and British?

He works hard and covers a lot of ground.

He also rarely makes a forward pass, a tackle, or an interception but he's the most underrated player in Premier League history despite all of that because he links play* well.

*passes sideways

Davis was poor tonight, as were our entire midfield. No doubt in my mind, he is in decline from the hard working, shuttling, eye for a good pass player he has been for Saints for so long. Hojbjerg is deserving of more Football at Davis' expense - JWP is not the replacement for Davis, and with Tadic and Redmond mostly mediocre, an attacking midfield replacement is badly needed.

He was dropped against City and also against Arsenal just 3 days ago....

Just trying to find a fall guy. The whole team was s**** tonight, but sure lets single out Davis

Have been a big fan of Davis but last night was probably his worst display for us, really poor and was surprising he did the 90. Just wonder if age is now showing and we've seen the best of him. Thought it when Chilwell easily ran him off the ball at one point in the second half.

Wouldn't start for me - certainly not against Chelsea. Rom, Lemina and Hoj in that one (not that either Rom or Hoj were in any way impressive yesterday)

Have been a big fan of Davis but last night was probably his worst display for us, really poor and was surprising he did the 90. Just wonder if age is now showing and we've seen the best of him. Thought it when Chilwell easily ran him off the ball at one point in the second half.

Wouldn't start for me - certainly not against Chelsea. Rom, Lemina and Hoj in that one (not that either Rom or Hoj were in any way impressive yesterday)

Hoj didn't play! His recent performances have been outstanding. Davis id definitely on the wane. Has been a great servant just the same.

He was rubbish three-ish years ago when I started this thread, and he's gotten no better since. Was horrendously slow, weak and indecisive today.

This. I've never really rated him anything more than a good player to have on the bench. His stats are shocking for the role he plays. Said it many times in this forum.

He was rubbish three-ish years ago when I started this thread, and he's gotten no better since. Was horrendously slow, weak and indecisive today.

He wasn't rubbish three years ago, or even one year ago. He is in decline now. Verlaine, it's time you shifted your focus to a player like JWP; when are you going to call him out?

He wasn't rubbish three years ago, or even one year ago. He is in decline now. Verlaine, it's time you shifted your focus to a player like JWP; when are you going to call him out?

If JWP was being talked up as one of the best/most underrated players in the league and an essential first name on the team sheet I'd call out the absurdity of that point of view as well. It's only the fact that Davis has been so mediocre for so long, and yet received such outsized praise that prompts me to say anything at all. I've got no vendetta against him personally, and in fact thought he was pretty useful under Poch, but since the Koeman years he's been toss and it's weird that he still gets talked about as if he's one of our best players.

• 3 weeks later...

Thought he was anonymous for the first 60 minutes, one of only a few players not at least playing “decently”. But he did then have a spell when he did quite well. Not enough, but don’t think it’s right to say he was awful for the entire match.

Dave Merrington was biging him up on the Radio saying he was making the sort of runs that have been missing recently with Tadic.

Yeah, I heard that. I think he's decent for us when not playing in one of the two DM roles. He's not going to get loads of goals, but is neat & tidy up there & probably better defensively from there than Tadic too.

I appreciate his service for us but he’s past his best by a long way.

His stupid pirouette leading to Watford’s first is unforgivable really.

Not the first time he's ****ed up at the back and cost us a goal. Why he plays over lemina, I don't know.

Sent from my SM-J700F using Tapatalk

That first goal sums up everything. He was looking forward, he had options to play it forward. But he stops, checks, turns around and tries to go back. But fails.

If he'd taken a gamble and played it forwards, even if he'd have lost it, that goal wouldn't have happend. All this playing it safe and backwards is anything but.

I appreciate his service for us but he’s past his best by a long way.

His stupid pirouette leading to Watford’s first is unforgivable really.

In full agreement here. He was an excellent buy for us, and has been a solid pro the whole way. But he's been at direct fault for a few goals this season that have hurt us greatly.

At 33 he's now taking up spaces that should be filled by Lemina/Hoj/Sims etc.

Maybe that's why we're linked again to Armstrong from Celtic. He'd be a natural replacement, although not one we absolutely need to have right now.

Davis has a contract til the end of the 2019 season though