Steven Davis

verlaine1979

Davis got caught yesterday, not too dissimilar to his unnecessary backward pass that cost us away to Bournemouth.

He is an intelligent footballer, what was he thinking?

He's been asking for too much time on the ball for a couple of seasons now. Wants a look at every option after he's received the ball, but 9 times out of 10 he still tries to pick the simple backward or sideways ball. A total liability in the middle this season.

He's been asking for too much time on the ball for a couple of seasons now. Wants a look at every option after he's received the ball, but 9 times out of 10 he still tries to pick the simple backward or sideways ball. A total liability in the middle this season.

Cracking buy and great servant but reminding me of Glenn Cockerill in his slowness and getting caught on the ball. Also a great servant in the 80s. Dropped down to Orient and was quality again.

Great savant and one of our best buys in recent history. However, he’s now at the stage where he can’t influence games and dictate the pattern. He can still do a job, when we’re playing well. But when we’re poor, he’s poor. The fact he’s still pretty regular says more about the replacements quality than it does him.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Great savant and one of our best buys in recent history. However, he’s now at the stage where he can’t influence games and dictate the pattern. He can still do a job, when we’re playing well. But when we’re poor, he’s poor. The fact he’s still pretty regular says more about the replacements quality than it does him.

Or it says more about our manager than our replacements. Davis has been a terrific buy but, like all of us, age has caught up with him. He should be nowhere near a starting place as he consistently gives the ball away as we saw yesterday and is not up to the pace of the Prem any more.

Our manager has no idea on tactics, players or how to change a game. It is not Davis' fault he continues to be picked and he is doing his best: just that his best is no longer good enough.

• 5 months later...
They haven't got bread to eat

I suspect we’ll let him go for a couple of ships biscuits and £2.5m on the never never. He’ll get a three year contract and support to do his coaching badges, taking over from Stevie G when he falls on his ar5e (again).

Not long after he arrived at St Marys I had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity function and I asked him about his time at Rangers and he did say that if the conditions were right he would like to return there to finish off his playing days.

Not long after he arrived at St Marys I had the pleasure of meeting him at a charity function and I asked him about his time at Rangers and he did say that if the conditions were right he would like to return there to finish off his playing days.

Aha! I remembered that correctly then!

Cheers for posting.

We only paid around £800,000 for him 6 years ago and he's been an excellent buy.

Classy fella. Hope he gets the move he wants.

No fee surely. That would be a nice gesture for a good servant.

I can honestly see this happening.

We have too many CMs and it would get his wages off the books; win, win.

Didn’t know he was on the autistic spectrum

• 2 months later...

He should have moved club if he wanted to play every week. I'm a big fan of his but at 33 and past his best he was never going to be starting every week in the league.

If Saints sell him in January they need to have someone to replace him. He was outstanding yesterday 96 minutes full of passion and energy and a real leader on that pitch. If Davis cant get into our side we must have a very special set of midfielders which reading the comments from time to time on here seems not to be the case.

If Saints sell him in January they need to have someone to replace him. He was outstanding yesterday 96 minutes full of passion and energy and a real leader on that pitch. If Davis cant get into our side we must have a very special set of midfielders which reading the comments from time to time on here seems not to be the case.

When we were in the pub post-match yesterday my mates were asking me about his lack of game time down here, and to be honest it’s been a long time since I saw a performance like yesterday in a Saints shirt. It was like turning back the clock three years. ‘Leader’ is exactly the word.

Always rated the lad to be honest. Unfortunately when the years catch up with you though, you tend to have more mediocrity than good performances, which in turn skews overall opinion. But yesterday he rolled back the years, good performance on his 100th cap. He's also the sort of person that I'd like to see working with our academy players with Radi, lots of experience to offer and sets the right tone and standards.

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

When we were in the pub post-match yesterday my mates were asking me about his lack of game time down here, and to be honest it’s been a long time since I saw a performance like yesterday in a Saints shirt. It was like turning back the clock three years. ‘Leader’ is exactly the word.

So, I assume then that he was spraying the ball sideways and backwards more than he hes done in recent years, because goals and assists were never his thing!

Why he doesnt get near the team is a question for Mark Hughes and Im sure he has his reasons but on his preformance from Saturday as a Saints and NI supporter he was the complete midfielder. He was always available for a pass for his own teamates , always looking to set up someone else up and on the other hand the steel in midfield breaking up attacks. Yes his DOB says he is 33 but his movement on and off the ball were class and like I said previously the passion he showed in captaining that side is something I dont always see in our other midfield options. What he showed on Saturday was talent and energy to walk into a lot of Premership sides and its that talent, energy and passion, that sadly if he is to go, needs replaced.

Why he doesnt get near the team is a question for Mark Hughes and Im sure he has his reasons but on his preformance from Saturday as a Saints and NI supporter he was the complete midfielder. He was always available for a pass for his own teamates , always looking to set up someone else up and on the other hand the steel in midfield breaking up attacks. Yes his DOB says he is 33 but his movement on and off the ball were class and like I said previously the passion he showed in captaining that side is something I dont always see in our other midfield options. What he showed on Saturday was talent and energy to walk into a lot of Premership sides and its that talent, energy and passion, that sadly if he is to go, needs replaced.

He "doesn't get near the team" because he was injured for a large part of the tail end of last season. People seem to forget this. Its also why he hadn't played for NornIron for nearly a year. He's going to struggle to break back in now because Hughes has other options (not forgetting Armstrong has been bought quite clearly as his long term replacement).

So, I assume then that he was spraying the ball sideways and backwards more than he hes done in recent years, because goals and assists were never his thing!

While SD is clearly in decline at 33; your description of "sideways and backward" passing is just wrong. At his best, Davis produced many attacking passes, touches and flicks leading to something worthwhile inside the box - more so than most midfielders we've had in the past 6-7 years. Exceptions, Wanyama (yes, he could pass), Morgan and Lemina.

While SD is clearly in decline at 33; your description of "sideways and backward" passing is just wrong. At his best, Davis produced many attacking passes, touches and flicks leading to something worthwhile inside the box - more so than most midfielders we've had in the past 6-7 years. Exceptions, Wanyama (yes, he could pass), Morgan and Lemina.

Davis becoming our go-to creative midfielder after the departure of those higher calibre players (I'd also add Lallana to the list) has been one of the key factors in our decline.

Davis becoming our go-to creative midfielder after the departure of those higher calibre players (I'd also add Lallana to the list) has been one of the key factors in our decline.

Yes, absolutely, Lallana was one of the few creative mid-fielders the Club has had from Pardew on. I wasn't suggesting Davis at his best was the equal of those higher calibre players, but he had an incisive pass, flick and touch in his kit bag - not many of our midfielders could claim.

Yes, absolutely, Lallana was one of the few creative mid-fielders the Club has had from Pardew on. I wasn't suggesting Davis at his best was the equal of those higher calibre players, but he had an incisive pass, flick and touch in his kit bag - not many of our midfielders could claim.

Even in this "Opta Era", incisive passes, flicks and touches are not that measurable and fall into the IMHO category. Goals and assists are very measurable and (even at his best) these stats were awful. Considering the position he was often played in, his contribution to the teams success is massively overrated.

Also, don't forget....this amazing recent performance was against Bosnia, and they lost.....hardly an performance worthy of lifting his teammates around him!

Is should also be noted, any kids starting out in their Saints supporting career will all hear and know about Matt Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Ricky Lambert etc......but Steven Davis will fall into the Matt Oakley category, and will have to be explained to people what he actually did here.

Even in this "Opta Era", incisive passes, flicks and touches are not that measurable and fall into the IMHO category. Goals and assists are very measurable and (even at his best) these stats were awful. Considering the position he was often played in, his contribution to the teams success is massively overrated.

Also, don't forget....this amazing recent performance was against Bosnia, and they lost.....hardly an performance worthy of lifting his teammates around him!

Is should also be noted, any kids starting out in their Saints supporting career will all hear and know about Matt Le Tissier, Alan Shearer, Ricky Lambert etc......but Steven Davis will fall into the Matt Oakley category, and will have to be explained to people what he actually did here.

Careful, someone will be on here in a minute to tell you that Matt Oakley was the foundation upon which MLT built his genius.

Matt Oakley WAS the foundation upon which MLG built his genius.

Oakley didn't make his debut for saints until the end of the the 94/95 season....Le Tiss had been playing for Saints for the best part of 9 years, if you take a look at his stats for the time before Oakley started, it doesn't really look like he was struggling! The foundation for Le Tiss's genius was Left Tiss's genius.

Oakley didn't make his debut for saints until the end of the the 94/95 season....Le Tiss had been playing for Saints for the best part of 9 years, if you take a look at his stats for the time before Oakley started, it doesn't really look like he was struggling! The foundation for Le Tiss's genius was Left Tiss's genius.

tenor.gif

Davis will one of the players Hughes would have had in mind when saying that he has several players who could be first choice starters who he’s not been able to accommodate. The club has a first team squad of 27, of whom 23 are outfield player, with only two young players. Few would argue that it makes sense to play a settled team but obviously any change just means different players lose out.

If the squad had fewer experienced quality players but had included more young players the problem would have been easier but if injuries or suspensions start to have an effect as the season goes on we might come to appreciate having players like Stephen Davis ready to come in. If they do, it’s then up to them to try to hold onto the shirt.