Steven Davis

verlaine1979

Oh ********.

You want a scapegoat its a player who purchased about 2 years later for £34Mn and is now considered one of the best players in the league being called 'Ali Dia' by the mongs in our fanbase. Or Guly being slated week-in-week-out having scored 10 or 11 goals in half a season back in the Champo. Or Ramirez being blamed for a defeat when being brought on at 3-1 down with about 5 minutes to go.

Davis is a bang average player who was utterly ****ed on today. If we want to finish higher up the league we need to improve on him.

What do you think his experience and presence contributes in the dressing room?

So....we have the captain of an international team playing for us but the football "brains" on this forum think that he is ****e.....

Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

i'd like to see us sign the captain of san marino and andorra too pls.

he had a poor game today can't deny it, which was usually unlike him.

Since he arrived at the club year on year we've improved. And year on year successive managers (whose opinions I rate slightly higher than the rantings of most posters on here) keep picking him - 2012/13 33, 2013/14 40, 2014/15 41, 2015/16 41, 2016/17 30 (so far). He's been damn lucky to rack up 185 games as an 'average player' lol. No doubt he'll be starring for us next weekend in Belfast against Norway playing just behind the centre forward. He's not a defensive midfielder (he was poor first half today) and, despite his lack of goals, has been most effective for Saints as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately some people just don't appreciate that a team needs workers as well as flair players.

Since he arrived at the club year on year we've improved. And year on year successive managers (whose opinions I rate slightly higher than the rantings of most posters on here) keep picking him - 2012/13 33, 2013/14 40, 2014/15 41, 2015/16 41, 2016/17 30 (so far). He's been damn lucky to rack up 185 games as an 'average player' lol. No doubt he'll be starring for us next weekend in Belfast against Norway playing just behind the centre forward. He's not a defensive midfielder (he was poor first half today) and, despite his lack of goals, has been most effective for Saints as part of the 3 in a 4-2-3-1. Unfortunately some people just don't appreciate that a team needs workers as well as flair players.

Top post !!

So....we have the captain of an international team playing for us but the football "brains" on this forum think that he is ****e.....

He doesn't play in DM for Northern Ireland though. I rate Davis, think he has much to offer us in an attacking sense, but he has never, ever performed in defensive midfield for us against all but the worst teams.

And the Cork and Ward-Prowse families are it again.

Swansea will eventually stay up and James is doing pretty well, we basically have to make sure he plays with the correct alignment with the stars every week, but at least he's in the England squad- can't you just let it go?

I have never seen such huge trolls hovering over a player that frankly is as sober and level-headed as you get them. Though I guess it's all proportional to the mediocrity of their protegées.

Can I just point out that the team that he captained and which you appear to despise did better in the Euros than England did.

Davis is a decent player. But skippers of national teams mean little these days

rooney is our skipper and he is shyte

shall we go ball out for the Iceland skipper, they did better than us also?

Can I just point out that the team that he captained and which you appear to despise did better in the Euros than England did.

I don't despise any team let alone NI. I was responding to the reply that I had to a post that I put on here supporting Davis and saying that he was captain of an international team. Somebody came back replying that he couldn't wait for to sign the captains of San Marino and Andorra....hence my comment.

If you think Rooney is shtye then clearly you know very little about football.

I don't despise any team let alone NI. I was responding to the reply that I had to a post that I put on here supporting Davis and saying that he was captain of an international team. Somebody came back replying that he couldn't wait for to sign the captains of San Marino and Andorra....hence my comment.

Fair enough - comment withdrawn :)

Hojbjerg should be the player in the role next to Romeu, but he hasn't been anywhere good enough last few months.

I'd agree, but he hasn't been given much of a run in the team of late. Ward-Prowse has been pretty awful at times this season, but playing every week, and once a week, seems to have helped him a lot. I wonder if the same might be true of Hojbjerg?

Rooney is not in the current squad so cant be our captain in the next two matches.

Unfortunately we don't have another decent holding midfielder in the squad to play alongside Romeu.

I imagine "decent" is the operative word in your statement, as Clasie, Hojbjerg and Reed are all more suited to that position than Davis.

I've always liked Reed, I thought he'd be seriously pushing for a starting place this season. I haven't seen anything recently from Clasie & Hojbjerg to suggest they're worth starting. Players 'filling in' is far from ideal though. If Puel has finally seen the light and is looking at utilising 4-2-3-1 next season then another holding midfielder and a goal scoring midfielder are badly needed. Where you find the latter though god only knows.

I am a great admirer of Davis and he has served us very well over the years. However, he is not a holding midfielder and has made some bad mistakes playing there. if we are to play with two holding midfielders, which we seem to be doing in Claude's current formation I think this is one area where we need to spend money in the summer. Personally I do not think that Reed will be the answer, although I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Whether then SD can justify his place in the side at the expense of one of the other midfielders is debatable.

IMHO - Davis should have been replaced 2/3 seasons ago....It looks like the club has tried (unsuccessfully) to replace him with someone better. Guess the search goes on.

Funny how he keeps getting picked though.... guess those managers think different to you

I've always liked Reed, I thought he'd be seriously pushing for a starting place this season. I haven't seen anything recently from Clasie & Hojbjerg to suggest they're worth starting. Players 'filling in' is far from ideal though. If Puel has finally seen the light and is looking at utilising 4-2-3-1 next season then another holding midfielder and a goal scoring midfielder are badly needed. Where you find the latter though god only knows.

I'd be signing a new DM in the summer, sell Clasie & loan Reed out for the season.

IMHO - Davis should have been replaced 2/3 seasons ago....It looks like the club has tried (unsuccessfully) to replace him with someone better. Guess the search goes on.

FWIW I don't believe that the club are trying to replace Davis but if they were then it is surely a sign of Davis' quality that they cannot find anyone better in the black box. I'll concede that DM is not Davis' strongest position but surely it is something of an indictment of the alternatives that they cannot oust him from there.

Funny how he keeps getting picked though.... guess those managers think different to you

As illustrated by this forum, you don't get criticised as a manager for playing a hardworking but limited home-nations carthorse who is broadly identified with by much of the fanbase. Let's call it the Wotton-Schneiderlin effect.

As illustrated by this forum, you don't get criticised as a manager for playing a hardworking but limited home-nations carthorse who is broadly identified with by much of the fanbase. Let's call it the Wotton-Schneiderlin effect.

Don`t you mean the "expert" fanbase and surely these skilled and knowlegeable football people should be involved in top level football not reduced to blathering on the internet... they are wasted

Don`t you mean the "expert" fanbase and surely these skilled and knowlegeable football people should be involved in top level football not reduced to blathering on the internet... they are wasted

Meh, bit of a straw man argument. Might as well say that the legions of superior managers at bigger clubs are on my side by virtue of the fact that none of them have ever tried to buy him at any stage in his career. He's nothing special and never has been (honestly, someone above claims he's only one attribute away from an 'all time great').

Meh, bit of a straw man argument. Might as well say that the legions of superior managers at bigger clubs are on my side by virtue of the fact that none of them have ever tried to buy him at any stage in his career. He's nothing special and never has been (honestly, someone above claims he's only one attribute away from an 'all time great').

I dont think he is a all time great either but think he has been a decent player for us and continues to be so... but its all about opinions i guess

ScepticalStan is an idiot cos he punts an opinion of a below average Saints player, that you don't agree with. Anybody who doesn't hold the same opinion as you. are always idiots. Very scientific.

Wipe the froth from your mouth and calm down, funny how the managerial favourite Koeman rated him too

It's just have few idiots who can't see his worth, like you for instance...

I guess some people here base a players' value on the speed at which he is poached by a "bigger" club. Those that don't go are clearly rubbish and not wanted elsewhere. Just a few weeks ago there was much wrist slitting about the club captain leaving for another club. Davis is the club captain. He also captains his national team. He has been an integral part in our continual improvement since he has been here. He is a decent player.

I guess some people here base a players' value on the speed at which he is poached by a "bigger" club. Those that don't go are clearly rubbish and not wanted elsewhere. Just a few weeks ago there was much wrist slitting about the club captain leaving for another club. Davis is the club captain. He also captains his national team. He has been an integral part in our continual improvement since he has been here. He is a decent player.

If you notice most clubs only poach the Violinists off us, never the roadsweepers.

Nope, that wasn't the point I was making. Simply that if your argument devolves to 'well, we've been picking him for x seasons' then pointing out that no one else wants him is a legitimate rejoinder.

I am a great admirer of Davis and he has served us very well over the years. However, he is not a holding midfielder and has made some bad mistakes playing there. if we are to play with two holding midfielders, which we seem to be doing in Claude's current formation I think this is one area where we need to spend money in the summer. Personally I do not think that Reed will be the answer, although I would be delighted to be proved wrong. Whether then SD can justify his place in the side at the expense of one of the other midfielders is debatable.

Playing with two holding midfielders is probably a temporary measure until we get back to full strength at CB. At the moment one suspects the second DMF is there primarily to cover Stephens' Rrse

Yup.

I often bring this up.

As late as West Ham away in 2012 (so about 3 months before promotion to the PL), I heard people around me in the crowd wanting Hammond ahead of Schneiderlin because he 'put a tackle in'. A couple of years after that, Dean Hammond was back in League 1, and Morgan Schneiderlin was in the starting XI of a top-tier international football team and attracting bids of £25Mn plus.

Wipe the froth from your mouth and calm down, funny how the managerial favourite Koeman rated him too

It's just have few idiots who can't see his worth, like you for instance...

Ah yes, all these managers rating him...

Isn't it funny how no-one has bid for him though?

Neither Pochettino nor Koeman (who apparently thought he was the bees knees) have bid for him. Both of them have plumped for a different midfielder from our previous trio respectively in Wanyama and Schneiderlin.

And on top of that, its not like players from Southampton don't attract interest in general.

Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Fonte, Alderweireld, Lovren, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Mane, Lallana and Lambert were all bought whilst Van Dijk, Rodriguez and Bertrand have attracted interest.

Yet no-one from Liverpool, City, United or Chelsea seem all that fussed about Steven Davis.

No 8-figure bids for our supposedly great midfielder have been received. I wonder why?

I wonder why?

He was pushed out of the wall by Herrera actually; but don't let that stop your blinkered bias.

Our brave Captain got pushed out of the wall by diddy little Herrera? Ironically, that'd be just as damning if it were true. He ducked because he was scared to get a whack on the face with a football. If that were a Ramirez or Mane people would still be talking about it now.

ScepticalStan is an idiot cos he punts an opinion of a below average Saints player, that you don't agree with. Anybody who doesn't hold the same opinion as you. are always idiots. Very scientific.

The problem with me is that I judge players on merit, with no favouritism towards certain types of players and particularly, certain types of players from the British isles.

A lot of our fanbase see themselves as 'salt-of-the-Earth-English' types who treat 'Johnny Foreigner' with a healthy distrust and love nothing more than a trier who'll 'work hard and put a tackle in', no matter how ineffective they end up being.

You see it every time Shane Long miscontrols a pass, loses possession, fouls the opponent who tackles him and then somehow gets a round of applause for doing so.

Whereas Mane used to go on a run from inside his own half, beat 2 or 3 players along the way, scuff the shot narrowly wide of goal and then be accused of missing a 'sitter'.

The same fans who are praising Steven Davis in this thread were saying that Schneiderlin was too weak to play in the Premier League 5 years ago, and that Mane was 'The new Ali Dia' 2 years ago. Funny that isn't it?

Ah yes, all these managers rating him...

Isn't it funny how no-one has bid for him though?

Neither Pochettino nor Koeman (who apparently thought he was the bees knees) have bid for him. Both of them have plumped for a different midfielder from our previous trio respectively in Wanyama and Schneiderlin.

And on top of that, its not like players from Southampton don't attract interest in general.

Shaw, Clyne, Chambers, Fonte, Alderweireld, Lovren, Schneiderlin, Wanyama, Mane, Lallana and Lambert were all bought whilst Van Dijk, Rodriguez and Bertrand have attracted interest.

Yet no-one from Liverpool, City, United or Chelsea seem all that fussed about Steven Davis.

No 8-figure bids for our supposedly great midfielder have been received. I wonder why?

I wonder why?

Our brave Captain got pushed out of the wall by diddy little Herrera? Ironically, that'd be just as damning if it were true. He ducked because he was scared to get a whack on the face with a football. If that were a Ramirez or Mane people would still be talking about it now.

Stan, Davis was pushed from behind as the free kick was taken; go back and take a look. Look, I'm a Davis fan, but I do concede there are early signs of his game starting to wane; it certainly hasn't helped that he's been given that DM role recently which clearly doesn't suit him. What do you think of JWP being placed wide right now Stan? While I think he's shown improvement in the past 6 weeks or so, the midfield formation has been changed to accommodate him - to the detriment of Davis. While Prowsey is doing quite well, you don't get a wide player running at defenders with him, that's left to Cedric, whereas Bertrand has Redmond, a genuine wide player in front of him. I'd like to see Boufal or Sims getting more time in that spot W-P is occupying. JWP and Davis could contest a more advanced role and someone like Hojbjerg could be given a go helping Romeu out.

The problem with me is that I judge players on merit, with no favouritism towards certain types of players and particularly, certain types of players from the British isles.

A lot of our fanbase see themselves as 'salt-of-the-Earth-English' types who treat 'Johnny Foreigner' with a healthy distrust and love nothing more than a trier who'll 'work hard and put a tackle in', no matter how ineffective they end up being.

You see it every time Shane Long miscontrols a pass, loses possession, fouls the opponent who tackles him and then somehow gets a round of applause for doing so.

Whereas Mane used to go on a run from inside his own half, beat 2 or 3 players along the way, scuff the shot narrowly wide of goal and then be accused of missing a 'sitter'.

The same fans who are praising Steven Davis in this thread were saying that Schneiderlin was too weak to play in the Premier League 5 years ago, and that Mane was 'The new Ali Dia' 2 years ago. Funny that isn't it?

Merit.... ? Its your opinion nothing more, do try not to think everthing you write is correct its not, you have an opinion, we all do and yours imo, is seriously flawed...

Nope, that wasn't the point I was making. Simply that if your argument devolves to 'well, we've been picking him for x seasons' then pointing out that no one else wants him is a legitimate rejoinder.

Have we only been playing him because no one else wants him??? Do we know that no one else has ever been interested in him?

Have we only been playing him because no one else wants him??? Do we know that no one else has ever been interested in him?

Right, because we let Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Clyne, Wanyama, Mane & Schneiderlin go, but Davis was so vital to our squad that we drew the line when the big boys came calling. Yes, that does seem like an equally likely scenario to no one else wanting him.

Right, because we let Lallana, Lovren, Lambert, Clyne, Wanyama, Mane & Schneiderlin go, but Davis was so vital to our squad that we drew the line when the big boys came calling. Yes, that does seem like an equally likely scenario to no one else wanting him.

About as likely as him being bang average yet racking up 180 odd games for us during a period of sustained success and improvement! lol