Why do you support The Saints?

SO16_Saint

On the back of the thread from our US supporting friend who is making his way over to the West Ham game, it got me thinking. Why do we support The Saints?

For me, it was because when we moved to Southampton when I was about 4/5 we lived in a shared house with 2 random Chinese people in Milton Road until our house purchase went through. We moved in in the September, just at the beginning of the football season.

My elder brother was in to football, but supported our 'home town club' - but decided to go to a match.

Living in Milton Road, going out playing on a Saturday was pretty much a no-no, but it was great seeing all the people streaming up / down the road... and also occasionally hearing the roar of the home fans... and more often than not the cheer of the away fans :(

Fast forward 8 years when I was 12 - I got my first season ticket (a Junior Saints one I think) and the rest is history.

I was a season ticket holder from 12 until I was 24, when work and family commitments (got in the way) became more important.

Being a dad of a 3 year old boy I cant wait for the time that he is interested in football (hopefully) and can take him along to SMS.... although I'm not sure that'll happen as he says "you're not watching football, AGAIN, are you daddy" :)

So - what is your reason for supporting the mighty red and white?

Edited by SO16_Saint

In 2009 I was looking for a different premier league team to support, I happened to stumble across a video clip of a small Italian chap who was the most inspirational speaker I have ever seen. I was wowed by his drive and ambition and the plans he had for the club so I turned my back on Manchester United and Chelsea who I had supported since 2003 and followed the then chairman and bought into his vision.

Never realised it was a choice!

Lived locally through the sixties and through the schools and Saints were as much part of the day as breathing and stuff....always been of the opinion that you can only ever truly support one team and whilst I've worked all over the place and live 200 miles away it's far too ingrained in my DNA and life and will always be, I suspect.

Happy for it to be so - I've had the highs and the lows but never a doubt.

Dad was a Saints fan (from Cornwall but teacher training in Winchester) so I was a Saints fan born and raised in Cambridge. Went to first game at Portman Road on 1st Dec 84. and although I couldn't be mascot, dad has organised that I meet all the players in the changing room prior to the game. Met Shilts, Wallace, Steve Moran, Mick Mills..... We won 1-0 thanks to a David Armstrong goal.

Because of Saints I relocated to Southampton where I lived for ten years before shifting onto Devon.

Born and raised in Melbourne to an Australian mother and a father who grew up in Southampton. Have only seen a handful of games live, but watch every game on tv and visit this site every day. Very passionate about the Saints and the only dissatisfaction in my life is that I can't cheer them on in person every week!

Dad took me to my first game in October 1959 as a 5th birthday present and we beat Swindon 6-2 and Derek Reeves scored 4 and that was that have been a ST holder for about 30 years. My dad went to the world cup final in 66 with a few of his ex army mates but wold not take me he said I was to young, truth was he went on the lash with his mates.

Born in The General, and my Dad took me to my first game in 1968, there can only be one team! Was lucky enough to be at Wembley in 76, (thanks to Dad queueing overnight for tickets), there have been so many highs, so many lows, but that is what being a Saints fan brings! Never a dull moment.

Went to St Marys College. Was one of many who had a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates. Supported them for over 50 years.

]Went to St Marys College too Was one of many who did not have a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates. Supported them for over 50 years

I started supporting Saints when they reached the top four of the Premier League for the first time. As soon as they drop out, I'm off again :rolleyes:

No, the real reason is simply they are the local team. I confess that I briefly toyed with the idea of supporting Liverpool, just because my next door neighbour did, but my semi-regular Dell trips had won me over to Saints. It didn't hurt that Saints beat Liverpool in my first ever game, Matt Le Tiss getting the winner in a 1-0 win. I also lived down the road from Staplewood and went to plenty of reserve games.

I stopped watching football for a few years in my teens because I was interested in other things, and generally disillusioned with the dominance of Man Utd, but I came back to it eventually. When I returned, the only option, morally speaking, was to follow the Saints. A season or two later we reached the FA Cup final and it actually felt good to be a Saints fan – I could look the local plastics in the eye with a bit of pride for a change. Granted, that didn't last long, with the relegation coming soon after, but by then it was too late. I was hooked and still am. Saints might not be very 'local' anymore, as with all clubs, but I follow it because it represents where I'm from. I live overseas now, so Saints are a link to my home.

Couldn't get tickets to Man U, couldn't get tickets to Chelsea but some recently promoted team was easy to get into and less than 2 hour train from London. Just kidding, liked the team's home grown mantra when they got promoted and I've been overpaying Richard Branson ever since to see them at least once a year.

Proper plastic me. My Grandfather moved his family there when he became branch manager of a bank. My Dad, then young and impressionable started to support the Saints. He moved away, got married, had kids. I then followed him in supporting them even though I was bred in Surrey. I then got married and moved even further away. Now I've got 2 (soon to be 3) sons who all also bleed red n white even though they are Essex boys born and bred.

Despite not having ever spent any great deal of time in Southampton, and never having lived there, both my Nan and Grandad are from down there originally and so are both fans. I've always been into football and used to go to Sellhurst park (for a fiver a ticket through an initiative with my primary school at the time) but when my Grandad took me to my first game at St Mary's when I was 7 or 8 (Vs. Birmingham in 2002) I knew there wasn't any other team in the world worth supporting and have been a fan ever since!

Still, living around London and supporting Southampton, many now might think I'm a bit of a glory hunter at the minute!

Born there, lived there until I was 27. Dad took me to a game when I was about 10, was a dull 0-0 and I ignored it for a while. Whole family are fans, got hooked again through a friend, but not until after the very good teams and success of early / mid 1980s. Never any question of another team. Endured Ian Branfoot, enjoyed MLT, the rest is history. Only missed a handful of home games since, though as I am out of work in 7 weeks that might change :(

Growing up, we lived near enough to Southampton to be able to go to games, read about them in the local paper and on local TV. Have always lived within a reasonable drive of the city. Never had any respect for people living near the south coast who pick a London or Northern club to follow and then claim they are a supporter of a team they hardly ever, if ever, go to see.

]Went to St Marys College too Was one of many who did not have a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates. Supported them for over 50 years

Also went to St Marys College. Also did not have a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates. I remember being very excited on discovering that my Latin text book had been used by John Sydenham though!

Having a mother who first went to see Saints at the age of 12 and kept going until she was 90 was an influence though.

Also went to St Marys College. Also did not have a trial for Southampton Boys with Ted Bates. I remember being very excited on discovering that my Latin text book had been used by John Sydenham though!

Having a mother who first went to see Saints at the age of 12 and kept going until she was 90 was an influence though.

Ah John Sydenham I used to fill up his A40 Car when I worked in a Petrol Station in West End Road not far from the then Bitterne Brewery about 4/6 a Gallon.

How times have changed wonder what sort of Car he would have today

I'm a glory hunter plastic.

I think I could be The Original Glory Hunting Plastic :smug:

1st game was our 1st ever Top Tier game v Man City at The Dell Aug 1966, not long after The England World Cup win.

Dad took me along but can't say I remember much about the game at all as a wee ankle snapper.

Shame Foam Thumbs, Face Paint and Jester Wigs weren't in vogue at the time :D

I did have a red and white striped rattle and home knitted scarf though.

Loved Dronskis remark .... Never realised it was a choice!

Grew up in Romsey.

My dad and uncle were regulars at The Dell and I persuaded them to take me when I was about 8 (it was against Port Vale in '58 ). Had a slight hiatus when I discovered girls but soon got my priorities right.

Started taking my lad to reserve games when they were at The Dell, graduated to the first team and he was hooked and so joined the Junior Saints and has been going regularly for the last 20 years (he's not still in the Junior Saints).

Could never support anyone else. I've seen many good and bad times but this season must be among the best especially now that the gap between the so-called big clubs and the rest is greater than it's ever been.

I'm a Kiwi. Met my wife (Southampton lass) in Norway in 1996. Married her in late 1998 and we moved later from NZ to Southampton. Although I am also a rugby fan I decided to follow Saints as they were the local football team. First game I actually went to was away to Chelsea with a few of their fans. We won 4-2 but I kept a very low profile. Have been an avid support ever since and we have loved the Saints journey over the past few years. Was a ST holder for a while, but due to circumstances we can only go to a few games now. I did manage to get to the 8-0 Sunderland game so that will always be a brilliant memory to look back on. Go the Saints.

Born and bred in Herne Hill, South London. Moved to West Wickham in Kent when I was 10. Never really interested in football although my Dad was and played a lot himself. One Saturday in 1966 when he didn't have a game he took me to Selhurst Park where Palace were playing Southampton (old 2nd Division). I was quite taken with the red and white stripes and felt sorry for Southampton when Chivers got sent off. A few days later I was telling a kid down the road about the match. He said his Dad was from Southampton and they both used to go to matches, did I want to go to the next one? Yes I said. We beat Charlton 1-0 at The Dell and from that point I was hooked. It didn't hurt that it was our promotion season either so I can officially also call myself a plastic.

I have to say every time I read one of your witty responses I am brought to tears with the pure genius of your comedy. Please I ask of you don't ever post anything serious or constructive as this forum would be worse for the loss the utter joy you bring to us all.

Did I say thank you? HAve you ever thought about stand up comedy? Genius I tell you

Born here, dad supported them, same as most I suppose.

What cemented it for me was a local kid at school who supported man u. I asked him why, and he replied "because they always win." At the tender age of 13 I thought "what a c*nt", and decided there and then that I would always support the saints come what may.

Incidentally, I ran into him a few years ago and he's still a c*nt.

I was born in St Mary's hospital, Portsmyth. Lived in Gosport and Fareham whilst growing up but as others have said I can't ever remember there being a choice as my Dad was a Saint, I was one too! Even though his whole family were Pompey fans he saw the light, I never made it to the Dell as was too young but I believe my first game was actually the '03 Cup Final although I don't remember too much, my first game i properly remember was 3-2 win against Blackburn with Beattie scoring a late penalty I believe!

1988, and my parents needed a bit of extra cash, so they let out their spare room to a student. I was 8 and Berkshire born and bred, so besides holidays in Hampshire and Dorset, I had nothing to do with Southampton. The student was from Southampton, and was so passionate about them that it rubbed off on me. In 1989 when I started second school I adopted them as my team, I've been here ever since.

Likewise. I must be of a similar vintage as I had a maths book that was previously John Sydenham's!! This was the Pat Earls, Nick Holms era. My first game was age 8 watching saints lose 1 - 0 to Newcastle at the Dell. Have been hooked ever since. I currently work for an American company based in San Diego where I have converted a number of colleagues who now also follow the saints. It makes for much more interesting emails than the average work email.

I noticed this post from my daughter in 2011 on the thread from Lazio 78 above http://www.saintsweb.co.uk/showthrea...s#.VL4b9EeG-So

Well, I watch probably about 5/6 games of football on the TV every week and always choose a side to cheer on. But when I was watching the Saints v Millwall game on the first day of the 2009/10 season, it was weird, almost like I cared about Saints winning that game as much as I would my local team Falkirk. That season, I looked out for all the results and Southampton became my "English team." Last season, my interest in the team grew, and I attended my first ever Saints game in November, and I started loving the club more than I do the team I have followed for 7 years. And in August, I'm visiting St. Mary's for the first time for the opening game against Leeds and hopefully I'll make about 7-10 games this term :)

That very hopeful prediction of travelling down from Scotland for 7-10 games in the Championship season turned out to be 14, as I was hooked from the start at Carlisle away in November 2010. We've kept it up to 14-15 every season since and I've recently travelled down on my own to see "her" team when she's had exams and we've now seen Saints play in 31 different League grounds.

All those "Big Team" supporters (who have only seen their team on the telly) up here who thought I was a nut case for travelling all that way to see a wee team like Southampton are only now starting to understand that "calling".

When my home town club went bankrupt I chose a university which had a Div 1 team which was far enough away from home that I would have my independence and near enough home that I could get there in case of emergencies. And then I went to see the Skates a couple of times to check I didn't like them more. I didn't.

I could have ended up in Leeds/USA if my grades were awesome, or Hull had I not decided it was way too far. Plus the Southampton University Open Day was re-arranged after being cancelled for snow, and really badly organised, which was the kind of thing I was after.

Nearly 25 years on, and the glory hunting has paid off with me now supporting a top 3 Premier League side AND thanks to Newport's 21-year scramble back to the Football League, a top 5 League 2 team who've done the double over Portsmouth already this season. :)