Badly need another Striker

Saint Charlie

Pelle was vital to the attack during the Newcastle game and setup the first goal.

Mane and Elia are not central strikers. Long is injured, Jay Rod is injured and Seager totally unproven.

Look, if we don't get a striker, nothing disasterous will happen, we aren't going to get relegated and it will still be a great season.

However, we will never have a better chance than this to do something really special in the league and without question we are short in the central striker role.

Sure even NickG can't disagree with any of that?

I don't know about NickG, but I certainly can't.

Might as well close this thread as Koeman said today we arent looking for another forward.

but we don't have anyone that's capable of being a 20 goal a season striker, pelle all round play is good don't get me wrong but he has missed more chances than hes scored, we need someone to play alongside him and no one seems to be the right match

but we don't have anyone that's capable of being a 20 goal a season striker, pelle all round play is good don't get me wrong but he has missed more chances than hes scored, we need someone to play alongside him and no one seems to be the right match

Since 2010/2011 only Tevez, Berbatov, Van Persie, Rooney, Aguero, Suarez, Bale, Toure & Sturridge have finished the season with 20 or more league goals. Obviously there are going to be occasional flukes (Austin might manage it this season), but 20 goal-a-season strikers these days start at about £30m (yes, I know neither Bale or Sturridge cost quite that much, but their value in the season when they did score 20+ was already significantly higher than their original purchase price).

Serious question, if Pelle got injured tomorrow who would go into the centre forward role ?

IMO we'd have a false 9 scenario of Mané, Elia and Tadic,rather than starting a youth player, but I do feel we need a striker temporarily, whether we get one or not. Deadline day will be interesting as I reckon Koeman has a trick up his sleeve.

IMO we'd have a false 9 scenario of Mané, Elia and Tadic,rather than starting a youth player, but I do feel we need a striker temporarily, whether we get one or not. Deadline day will be interesting as I reckon Koeman has a trick up his sleeve.

Yeah interesting I did think we'd go the Spain route as we just have no one so maybe koemans fall back is mane in the middle with the other 2 wide and we look to pass to the feet or behind the defenders more. Let's hope it doesn't happen anytime soon.

I feel we are in an almost compareable position to the year we came up from the championship, and we were looking ok as a team but knew we needed the added fire power, even if its only for 6 months just to cement our position and cross the line. We signed billy sharp, his goals helped us keep momentum to finish 2nd. I feel this is a similar time to get someone to do a job. Lambert would do that. So would ings, or austin or any bloody striker at this rate! We do need more goals though.

Maybe we re-sign billy sharp if nothing else comes off?

There's that fellow at Liverpool I hear may be available... Could do a job for us? Rickie something....

That's Rickie Lambert. He actually used to play for us mate. I don't think us regular fans who watch a lot of the Saints would have him back...we've moved on now and so has he.

• 4 weeks later...

I keep wondering who is this mythical striker we missed getting? No one ever mentions names. It's always this vague platitude that the club/board "lacked ambition". Who was out there for the taking? Ready to make the move at a price that made even close to sense?

I am ok with dropping Pelle a game or two, and try something different. But what quality striker moves occurred in the EPL this January by any club?

I keep wondering who is this mythical striker we missed getting? No one ever mentions names. It's always this vague platitude that the club/board "lacked ambition". Who was out there for the taking? Ready to make the move at a price that made even close to sense?

I am ok with dropping Pelle a game or two, and try something different. But what quality striker moves occurred in the EPL this January by any club?

it shouldnt be for the saint fan on a message board to name names. no one mentioned Elia or Djuricic at all...all season, yet here they are