Long injured

cellone

Amazing that challenge didn't result in anything from the ref. Maybe it looked different from the other end of the pitch but from point of view in the Chapel Ward just wiped Long out totally different from the ref every time some one breathed on Chamka though. Think we would have equalised if Long hadn't been injured even in the short time he was on we looked more dangerous up front.

Amazing that challenge didn't result in anything from the ref. Maybe it looked different from the other end of the pitch but from point of view in the Chapel Ward just wiped Long out totally different from the ref every time some one breathed on Chamka though. Think we would have equalised if Long hadn't been injured even in the short time he was on we looked more dangerous up front.

No, nothing wrong with the challenge. Long had pushed the ball a bit too far and got caught when the ball was cleared.

Long is an example of the prev. thread talking about players out of position and being forced into another formation.

I admire his workrate, but his goal tally is abysmal for a striker. Maybe not entirely his fault, but the stats. are there.12 starts+17 subs.in = 4 goals (2 in cups).

We are too dependent on Pelle's one-man band, and need more of a threat up front. Thankfully we've had 12 different goalscorers, so far + 5 o.g.'s

This is where we really see if the Les / Ronald /Black Box formula really works. We have an easier run-in than many other clubs, but if we drop points now - it'd be a real catastrophe and goodbye Europe.

Long is an example of the prev. thread talking about players out of position and being forced into another formation.

I admire his workrate, but his goal tally is abysmal for a striker. Maybe not entirely his fault, but the stats. are there.12 starts+17 subs.in = 4 goals (2 in cups).

We are too dependant on Pelle's one-man band, and need more of a threat up front. Thankfully we've had 12 different goalscorers, so far + 5 o.g.'s

This is where we really see if the Les / Ronald /Black Box formula really works. We have an easier run-in than many other clubs, but if we drop points now - it'd be a real catastrophe and goodbye Europe.

How do those two statements work together? 12 different scorers would suggest we are not that relent on Pelle for goals.

We are reliant on Pelle for the way we play the ball forward even when he is not scoring.

No different from Lambert last season then. Thing is we aren't really lacking in goals this season we score most games and with our defence one goal can be enough. I agree Pelle's hold up play is important to bring others into play I could live without his little flick ons to nobody though.

I admire his workrate, but his goal tally is abysmal for a striker. Maybe not entirely his fault, but the stats. are there.12 starts+17 subs.in = 4 goals (2 in cups)..[/quote

Long adds plenty when he comes on, he is not just there for goals. Just in the last week, as well as scoring a great winner at Ipswich, he provide an excellent assist for the winner at Newcastle. Today, we instantly looked more of a threat when we came on, even though he lasted only 13 minutes. Once he was injured we looked toothless once again.

I'd feel sorry for him if it's a punctured lung. Can that be career ending? Long gets bashed every game. Fearlessly throwing himself into everything. Every time I look he's on the ground seeing stars.

Depends how it heals I would guess. If it doesn't heal properly then he won't be able to do anything that risks violent impact on his chest, surely? Even just the ball hitting his chest from a shot or clearance could reopen poorly healed wounds.

I'd feel sorry for him if it's a punctured lung. Can that be career ending? Long gets bashed every game. Fearlessly throwing himself into everything. Every time I look he's on the ground seeing stars.

No it isnt. In other sports, there are examples of players playing through punctured lungs.

Edited by shurlock

I admire his workrate, but his goal tally is abysmal for a striker. Maybe not entirely his fault, but the stats. are there.12 starts+17 subs.in = 4 goals (2 in cups)..[/quote

Long adds plenty when he comes on, he is not just there for goals. Just in the last week, as well as scoring a great winner at Ipswich, he provide an excellent assist for the winner at Newcastle. Today, we instantly looked more of a threat when we came on, even though he lasted only 13 minutes. Once he was injured we looked toothless once again.

I agree with your every word, but if he is there as a no.2 / alternative striker... then his goal tally is "disappointing " to say the least.

Considering that Pelle has taken most of the attention and has been "off-form " in recent weeks, (OK he scored yesterday)....but Shane is a striker and he must feel a bit miffed by a lack of goals himself. Two in cup competitions and his double in the game v.Leicester. A poor return for half a season.

Injuries must force our hand to invest NOW in another striker and possibly another midfielder like Classie.

I think we should invest, even if paying slightly over the odds. And we should invest now if we can. We may not have another chance to hit the Champions League.

Time to gamble.

Injuries must force our hand to invest NOW in another striker and possibly another midfielder like Classie.

I think we should invest, even if paying slightly over the odds. And we should invest now if we can. We may not have another chance to hit the Champions League.

Time to gamble.

Its not really a gamble, its protecting our investment. I can understand at the start of the season the belief was that JRod and Gallagher would be back by now, going forward with just Pelle and Long was not too big a risk, but now with Long injured as well as no imminent return for the other two, it is just plain daft to go into another 16 games when we have a good chance of qualifying for Europe without investment up front.

I agree with your every word, but if he is there as a no.2 / alternative striker... then his goal tally is "disappointing " to say the least.

Considering that Pelle has taken most of the attention and has been "off-form " in recent weeks, (OK he scored yesterday)....but Shane is a striker and he must feel a bit miffed by a lack of goals himself. Two in cup competitions and his double in the game v.Leicester. A poor return for half a season.

You're risking puncturing that drum Dave.

Long came on during the second half at St Mary’s but lasted less than 20 minutes before he was helped off following a collision with Palace defender Joel Ward.

The Republic of Ireland striker, whose stunning goal knocked out Ipswich in the previous round, was taken to hospital and is likely to join a lengthy injury list which includes Morgan Schneiderlin, Toby Alderweireld and Victor Wanyama.

"I spoke to the doctor and he thought he will have fractured one or two ribs and that's very painful," said Saints manager Ronald Koeman.

"It's a pity because we don't have that number of players to go with all the injuries that we have.

"I don't know (how long he is out). Normally three, four, five weeks."

Long came on during the second half at St Mary’s but lasted less than 20 minutes before he was helped off following a collision with Palace defender Joel Ward.

The Republic of Ireland striker, whose stunning goal knocked out Ipswich in the previous round, was taken to hospital and is likely to join a lengthy injury list which includes Morgan Schneiderlin, Toby Alderweireld and Victor Wanyama.

"I spoke to the doctor and he thought he will have fractured one or two ribs and that's very painful," said Saints manager Ronald Koeman.

"It's a pity because we don't have that number of players to go with all the injuries that we have.

"I don't know (how long he is out). Normally three, four, five weeks."

No mention of lung but still not good. Rats