31 years ago today

Turkish

I was a student in London at the time, listening on the radio. I remember Frank McLintock as pundit being surprised how fierce the rivalry was. He had clearly done his research. When the goal was scored, the commentator paused as he wasn't quite sure what had happened, then said 'And Steve Moran has scored for Southampton'. I was insufferable that evening. Only had one topic of conversation. Made sure that the Pompey supporting friend of mine suffered.

I was behind the goal about half way back with my brother St Column Saint. When he got hit on the head with a bottle, kindly donated by the Pompey supporters to our right. Any way it cut his head open and had to go to the hospital to have stitches, he then made his way back to the ground and managed to get back in (walking back through Pompey with red and white on). Just in time to see the goal. Then we had the fun of walking back to the train station. Then when on the train it was used as target practice I don't think there was a window left unbroken on it. Good times if a not scarey.

Was too young for that game but remember the '88 home game well, and my first away there was the Alan Knight's "testimonial" which was a sketchy day out to say the least. Wish i could've been there for that Moran goal, but for me it's up there as one of the most iconic in my time supporting Saints.

Yes the home defeat 0-2 after we only drew 2-2 earlier on in the season. The 0-2 home defeat was my first taste of a derby. The next time was 3-0 at home at the Dell in the cup. My first Saints game at Fratton was Alan Knights testimonial, where the daft skates smashed up their own city, while we went home!

I was there.

I was at uni' in Oxford at the time. A mate from uni and his family all pompey fans. I stayed at their place in Fareham and his dad got tickets in the Fratton end. As SAINTS score all I had the guts was for a smile as chimes cry.

That night went with his dad to his local. On the darts I scored two of the only 180's I have ever scored. Played his dad and team mates (all skates) off the board. Never played like it before nor since.

Yes the home defeat 0-2 after we only drew 2-2 earlier on in the season. The 0-2 home defeat was my first taste of a derby. The next time was 3-0 at home at the Dell in the cup. My first Saints game at Fratton was Alan Knights testimonial, where the daft skates smashed up their own city, while we went home!

The cup game in 96 was something like the 7th of january if memory serves correct, should've been four too but magilton was greedy and didn't square it instead going for the hatrick (not words i think we could've written before or since).

Also remember queueing for tickets in the absolutely freezing cold outside the old ticket office from about 4 in the morning just to guarantee our normal places in the Archers block 5.

The cup game in 96 was something like the 7th of january if memory serves correct, should've been four too but magilton was greedy and didn't square it instead going for the hatrick (not words i think we could've written before or since).

Also remember queueing for tickets in the absolutely freezing cold outside the old ticket office from about 4 in the morning just to guarantee our normal places in the Archers block 5.

It was a really strange derby game, as it was only a few season ticket holders in the away end and not hostile at all. Was a stroll in the park. Just wish Matty scored.

It was a really strange derby game, as it was only a few season ticket holders in the away end and not hostile at all. Was a stroll in the park. Just wish Matty scored.

Beamed it back to Fratton to play on big screens there too and remember singing about that. You're right though their away support was meek as **** and incredibly quiet too. Never really understood how they could shout about themselves after that as it was such an embarrassing turn out on their part.

Beamed it back to Fratton to play on big screens there too and remember singing about that. You're right though their away support was meek as **** and incredibly quiet too. Never really understood how they could shout about themselves after that as it was such an embarrassing turn out on their part.

Was a little different the next time we played them at home at SMS in the league cup..... My god what an electric atmosphere!

I was there, went on the foley special double decker, some didnt even leave the painted wagon that day as the cops were picking people off as they climbed on the bus. Got to be up there as the best away day ever. Nearly 10k fans and only 1 turnstile, the gates got kicked in and it was glorious mayhem from then on.......and when steve moran scored........unbelievable. Fights up and down goldsmith ave before and after dont really remember much after that.

Best day ever.

I was there with a couple of mates. I must have been in some sort of dreamland, as I drove there, parked about 10 minutes from the ground and didn't see any trouble on the way in or the way out! I do remember going mental when we scored though.

I think trouble must have avoided me back then, as I also spent a couple of years going up on Foley's coaches to virtually every away game early 80's and never once saw any trouble! (might also have been to do with the fact that I went with my girlfriend at the time and we spent most of the trip up and back making out.

One of my wierdest memories of being on those coaches was realising that girls could actually pee standing up (and aim...). Classy bunch! I think I might have been quite a naive 20 year old back then!

Mackerel up at Forest, the Navy Provost steaming in with their long sticks outside Fratton, the "Hello Pompey" giving it the bird banner up at Blackburn, the road if coaches up at Sheffield and carnage at Highbury. That was a cup run and a half for a 16 year old.

IT WAS a good one at 30 too

I was behind the goal about half way back with my brother St Column Saint. When he got hit on the head with a bottle, kindly donated by the Pompey supporters to our right. Any way it cut his head open and had to go to the hospital to have stitches, he then made his way back to the ground and managed to get back in (walking back through Pompey with red and white on). Just in time to see the goal. Then we had the fun of walking back to the train station. Then when on the train it was used as target practice I don't think there was a window left unbroken on it. Good times if a not scarey.

And I still got the scar to prove it :D

Great day :D To be fair I wasn't really aware of the "hatred" before that day, to me they were just our nearest neighbours who we hardly ever seemed to play.

Drove down with mates early, couple of rounds of pitch and putt down Saffsee before walking from there to the ground. Stood 3/4s way back right behind goal . Never before seen so many Saints fans in one place at one time (obviously at The Dell but this actually felt like there was more there). Pretty sure we just walked in, no turnstile, although read above gates had been kicked in.

Celebrations when we scored were manic, (remembering seeing myself celebrating on MotD). went down god knows how many steps and it is still a mystery to me how within seconds everyone managed to find their mates again and re-assembled back where we were. The fact that we had already mentally accepted a draw and the goal came out of the blue made it even more sweet. Then just as we'd all settled the final whistle went and it all started again :D

Don't recall being kept in but have vague memories of LawrieMac being interviewed on pitch so guess we must have done. Was able to break away from main group on the way out. Walk back to car pretty uneventful except for one or two half-hearted attempts to identify us/wind us up by large groups hanging around on street corners (possibly the smiles were giving us away) which we just ignored (being 6ft 2in and only 3rd tallest in our group of 4 probably helped) .

One of the more pleasant - albeit short - journeys home , so so different to April 2005. The highs and lows of being a football fan in two games.