Hobbies

Dr Who?

Sure this is a midlife crisis, but I seriously need a hobby.

Do any of you have a hobby, other than football? I have looked at pottery, wood crafting, golf along with some other things, but really have no idea. Anything but sit on the couch going round and round on my iPad! Maybe photography?

I would prefer something indoors, as in the summer I have cycling!

I do feel like I am going nuts and I need something to occupy my mind!!

Do any of you have a hobby, other than football? I have looked at pottery, wood crafting, golf along with some other things, but really have no idea. Anything but sit on the couch going round and round on my iPad! Maybe photography?

I went to my first climbing session this evening. I was great! I felt like a monkey! I think this will be my new addiction.

Alternatively, I would recommend: learning to play guitar, life drawing, and wood crafting isn't a bad idea...but anything really, you just need to try it and see if you like it.

I think best way to get yourself out of a bit of a funk, is to do something physical, whether that's making something, or physical activity. Great thing about climbing is it forces you to think about the here and now (rather than other crap like work stress, what the future brings, what bad things happened in the past). You are literally forced to worry about what you can hold on to next. I loved it - but I guess dependent on whether you've got a climbing centre near you.

What you're experiencing is very common, and it's great you recognise it. Sometimes we all just need something new to shake us up a bit!

What about baking bread - start with a really basic white dough recipe and move up to sourdough. Some people get a heck of a lot of satisfaction from that and it always impresses. My own vice is boardgames. Have a look at "euro games" and "Ameritrash" games. There's a large and growing community out there of geeks who are helpfully gathered around http://www.boardgamegeek.com Be careful though, it is easy to quickly get into buying and collecting a huge amount of games that you are never going to play more than a few times. My current new favourite is called 7 Wonders or if you're into Star Wars, try X Wing or Imperial Assault.

Whatever hobby you go for, I hope it fires you up.

It wasn't that long ago you were whining about your job and how disillusioned you were with that, didn't you start making cheesecakes or something? Now on about pottery as a hobby.

If you so constantly find your life so unsatisfactory do you think it might be something a little deeper? Did you have Take That videos when you were a teenager? When you were younger whilst other lads were playing football were you in the fields too but picking dandelions and making them Into a necklace? Did you enjoy textiles classes above all others at school?

Maybe you should stick all that money you squander every week fuelling your gambling habit and save up for some therapy. Although I reckon you're either a closet homosexual or a miserable f*cker.

It wasn't that long ago you were whining about your job and how disillusioned you were with that, didn't you start making cheesecakes or something? Now on about pottery as a hobby.

If you so constantly find your life so unsatisfactory do you think it might be something a little deeper? Did you have Take That videos when you were a teenager? When you were younger whilst other lads were playing football were you in the fields too but picking dandelions and making them Into a necklace? Did you enjoy textiles classes above all others at school?

Maybe you should stick all that money you squander every week fuelling your gambling habit and save up for some therapy. Although I reckon you're either a closet homosexual or a miserable f*cker.

Oh Turkish. We were doing so well before now. Being kind and considerate. Worrying about Dr Who?, and trying to compete with each other over who was nicer and more holier than thou. And now your 'tough love' act, which is probably more loving and heartfelt than any of us, has just blown us out of the water.

B*stard.

Dr Who, have you considered joining an Internet forum? I know it sounds sad, but hear me out.

What you can do is spend time on there, but just mock everyone else on there. Because you are only on there ironically. You could constantly remind them how much better you are than them.

You could make up stories about trips you go on around the world, with all your friends ('coz you are really, really popular!). If it's a car forum, you could say you always take in some car show or something and say how you spotted the next amazing car. You could mix it up sometimes and pick out faults with all the cars, ya'know for the lulz.

You could tell all the petrol heads how badly dressed they are, because you are clearly both trinny and susannah of the motoring world in one ball of alpha maleness. Or how you are the peak of physical fitness, and all your fellow car enthusiasts are slovenly unwashed idiots. What, they think you are strangely obsessed with other men? Pfft, they clearly just fancy you. Effing homo's just haven't come out the closet yet.

What, that sounds sad?

Unless the pottery/photography option involves another woman a la Demi Moore in Ghost. Not sure the wife would like that.

Hey you like pottery don't you Lou?

Is that a chat up line? Is any if your inheritance left? If so, hey baby, I like anything you want me to ;)

Xx

Ps. I think I just made myself vomit.

Oh Turkish. We were doing so well before now. Being kind and considerate. Worrying about Dr Who?, and trying to compete with each other over who was nicer and more holier than thou. And now your 'tough love' act, which is probably more loving and heartfelt than any of us, has just blown us out of the water.

B*stard.

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. The kid's come onto an Internet forum for advice on what he can do to stop him spending all his time on the internet. I'm sure it's not just me that can spot the irony in that. What sort of advice was he expecting?

Anyway, my first bit of advice would be to stop his endless whinging about how dull his life is.

Secondly, My dear mum used to say 'only boring people get bored'. If he's bored all the time it says a lot about him.

Thirdly, From reading Dr Who's posts he's a man in his mid to late thirties with kids. If he doesn't know what floats his boat now he never will.

Finally just do something. Put the iPad down, get off your fat lazy arse and just do something.

Dr Who, have you considered joining an Internet forum? I know it sounds sad, but hear me out.

What you can do is spend time on there, but just mock everyone else on there. Because you are only on there ironically. You could constantly remind them how much better you are than them.

You could make up stories about trips you go on around the world, with all your friends ('coz you are really, really popular!). If it's a car forum, you could say you always take in some car show or something and say how you spotted the next amazing car. You could mix it up sometimes and pick out faults with all the cars, ya'know for the lulz.

You could tell all the petrol heads how badly dressed they are, because you are clearly both trinny and susannah of the motoring world in one ball of alpha maleness. Or how you are the peak of physical fitness, and all your fellow car enthusiasts are slovenly unwashed idiots. What, they think you are strangely obsessed with other men? Pfft, they clearly just fancy you. Effing homo's just haven't come out the closet yet.

What, that sounds sad?

It's a great idea but I think he's more suited to the role of the guy who wants to come across as a lovely, hugs for everyone type of bloke but actually seems like a soppy, naive melt so worried about what everyone thinks of him that everyone thinks he's a knob. Anyway pass me the dandelions kelv, let's make a necklace

It's a great idea but I think he's more suited to the role of the guy who wants to come across as a lovely, hugs for everyone type of bloke but actually seems like a soppy, naive melt so worried about what everyone thinks of him that everyone thinks he's a knob. Anyway pass me the dandelions kelv, let's make a necklace

Oooooooooooh!! My favourite things!! Hugs, dandelions & necklaces. You so get me.

Is that a chat up line? Is any if your inheritance left? If so, hey baby, I like anything you want me to ;)

Xx

Ps. I think I just made myself vomit.

Bulimia is a terrible affliction, but actually I was thinking you could meet up with the Dr to show him a little "pottery."

Sometimes you have to be cruel to be kind. The kid's come onto an Internet forum for advice on what he can do to stop him spending all his time on the internet. I'm sure it's not just me that can spot the irony in that. What sort of advice was he expecting?

Anyway, my first bit of advice would be to stop his endless whinging about how dull his life is.

Secondly, My dear mum used to say 'only boring people get bored'. If he's bored all the time it says a lot about him.

Thirdly, From reading Dr Who's posts he's a man in his mid to late thirties with kids. If he doesn't know what floats his boat now he never will.

Finally just do something. Put the iPad down, get off your fat lazy arse and just do something.

No no no no no, Turkish. Just no. Sometimes it takes a braver man to recognise he needs advice.

You see Dr Who as whinging, but it isn't anonymous people on an Internet forum whose judgement upon he must pass.

Dr Who, you just please yourself, never mind all the rest. And if you can do that, the man (and the beer) in the glass is your friend.

No no no no no, Turkish. Just no. Sometimes it takes a braver man to recognise he needs advice.

You see Dr Who as whinging, but it isn't anonymous people on an Internet forum whose judgement upon he must pass.

Dr Who, you just please yourself, never mind all the rest. And if you can do that, the man (and the beer) in the glass is your friend.

I'm not here to judge, I'm here to make things better.

Oddly enough, at roughly the same age as Dr Who?, I have the opposite problem. Too many hobbies, and I have felt like this since my mid-thirties. Everything frivolous I do seems like double the waste of time it did in the past. There's no way I could hole up for five days and play Suikoden, for example - whereas that shít was prioritised at 22 :)

Just going through the ones I have left, and am still okay with.

Reading. Education is the best provision for old age, and all that. Had a bit of a five year lull where I didn't read much. I read something every day now, even if it's not substantial, and don't feel a jot of guilt about doing it.

Guitar. Well off the wagon at the moment with this, but feels like progression each time. Very physically satisfying activity on a number of levels.

Writing. "Ah, but you already did reading, pap!". Different skills, different motivations and I'm glad I only really post on forums. Used to produce professional copy back in the day and used to spend eight hours editing a two hour piece to perfection. I like writing better now.

Football. Utterly pointless or beautifully universal. Take your pick. I'm still very much a student of the game. Was never any good at it.

Video games. Yes, they still exist in my life. Probably always will, and apart from the old hand-eye co-ordination and (apparently) being better in the sack than my equivalent non-gamer (gamers are used to doing something over and over until they get it right, yo), it's a complete time-sink. For that reason, think this might be the one to keep Dr Who? out of trouble. World of Warcraft subscription.

Finally, as an alternative, Dr Who? might want to learn to wear a pair of trousers and start turning up at some of his friends' 40th birthday dos. I understand that's all the rage this year.

Oddly enough, at roughly the same age as Dr Who?, I have the opposite problem. Too many hobbies, and I have felt like this since my mid-thirties. Everything frivolous I do seems like double the waste of time it did in the past. There's no way I could hole up for five days and play Suikoden, for example - whereas that shít was prioritised at 22 :)

Reading. Education is the best provision for old age, and all that. Had a bit of a five year lull where I didn't read much. I read something every day now, even if it's not substantial, and don't feel a jot of guilt about doing it.

Guitar. Well off the wagon at the moment with this, but feels like progression each time. Very physically satisfying activity on a number of levels.

Writing. "Ah, but you already did reading, pap!". Different skills, different motivations and I'm glad I only really post on forums. Used to produce professional copy back in the day and used to spend eight hours editing a two hour piece to perfection. I like writing better now.

Football. Utterly pointless or beautifully universal. Take your pick. I'm still very much a student of the game. Was never any good at it.

Video games. Yes, they still exist in my life. Probably always will, and apart from the old hand-eye co-ordination and (apparently) being better in the sack than my equivalent non-gamer (gamers are used to doing something over and over until they get it right, yo), it's a complete time-sink. For that reason, think this might be the one to keep Dr Who? out of trouble. World of Warcraft subscription.

Finally, as an alternative, Dr Who? might want to learn to wear a pair of trousers and start turning up at some of his friends' 40th birthday dos. I understand that's all the rage this year.

I can relate to all those apart from writing. The problem is time goes faster as you get older so spending a couple hours playing Skyrim or GTA can feel like a waste of precious life-force.

I quite fancy taking up bowls when I am much older. Looks quite easy, to be fair. I reckon I would beat a lot of the old codgers and be the envy of the tea room.

How about a martial art, in the meantime, Dr Who? Good for fitness and focus. You will go to classes at fixed times so it won't start ruining your life and causing you sleep deprivation like some of the other suggestions on here.

You don't ride in the winter? You poof.

Surely most people have a little moan about their job. I took action, changed jobs and I am very happy. I have my own cheesecake business (part time) which I run with my wife and it brings in a little extra cash. I am now wondering if anyone has some interesting hobbies.

No I did not like take that, little bit to old for them. I used to play football at school, sorry to disappoint you and your desperate need for me to be a homosexual, but I'm afraid I am not. So please take your advances elsewhere. I was bearly at school to be fair, but my favourite 'subject' would have been PE or maths.

I think asking for ideas on a hobby, does not make me miserable, does it really? If anything I am pretty up beat and happy person. But thank you for your concern.

Oh but Pap, I have only been invited to one. It is more the unfortunate timing that prevented me, nothing to do with trousers. Other meeting in the past have been to do with money..... Nothing I would like more, believe me.

You don't ride in the winter? You poof.

I would ride in the winter, but the incentive to fix my bike is never their in the winter. I just need to fix it and get lights, but it just does not appeal so much...... Nothing to do with the cold honest. Cycle for a bit and it is warm anyway.

I have decided to do some climbing, which you can do indoor and outdoor.

I have to point out, I do not get bored, but just feel that I could be doing more. It was more an interest to see what others do and if anything struck a cored. I will still be on here far to much..... But hey!

Thanks for the feedback. I really am a pretty happy person! :D

Oh yes I also played American football on and off for a few years, but the same as football, so do gay people, as do straight people make daisy chains. Perhaps you should try it Turks, you might enjoy it, rather than trying to make up stuff about other people and being completely wide of the mark, as per normal.