Jack Cork Signs for Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

He's a typical Swansea player really, will be a good fit for them I think. We clearly have our eye on some new CM's, and with Reed and JWP's progression, his time will be limited. I like Jack, terrific for us and has put in a great shift over the years. Thought he was a bargain signing in the NPC. Don't think he's quite England quality, but a decent player in the squad - but he clearly doesn't want to be that, which is fair enough.

If Swansea offer him football regular, then he'll have to take it at his age.

1) deal may take time to finalise

2) we will not agree to that

If he signs in time, is there much we can do to stop him/them?

I know there have been 'gentleman's agreements' around this sort of thing in the past (I think Johnny Woodgate when he went from Leeds to Newcastle had one) but I don't think they are enforceable in any meaningful way.

Sad if this happens as Cork has been really good for us, and its another of the English players leaving.

But good move for him if he goes for it. They play good football and are pretty stable.

We clearly havent seen him as a key player otherwise we would have offered him a contract a lot sooner. Like a year ago.

Edited by Saint Charlie

Good move by the club. Cork could only be a squad payer here for the foreseeable future and if that wasn't enough for him, or didn't pay well enough, then moving on is best for both parties. The replacement must be ready to sign and may well prove to be a step up.

Really cannot understand this, or the way he has seemingly been treated. I've always thought him an excellent player who rarely loses the ball. Can only think he has twonks for advisers. at least they have a Saint manager.

Shame, always been a fan of his but we can't guarantee him first team football here, not starting at least and he's out of contract in the Summer. Do we really need to buy a replacement? Reed, Morgan, Wanyama, JWP, Davis are all CM'ers and Gardos, Tadic and Toby can also play there in a crisis. Still, maybe this means there could be something in the Snieder rumours. Not exactly the same sort of player I know but I think we have some very versatile midfielders.

Still I'd have waited till after the weekend to do this.

a) Because he might play against us and play well.

b) because we're fairly short in that area for this weekend as it is.

Anyone know if there's a presser today?

Shame, with Morgan's expected departure in the summer, you'd hope the likes of Cork would stick around. Still of he wasn't about to sign his contract, better to make some money on him than none.

At the moment, that's a squad weakening, but I'm sure that means Koeman has a surprise in store. This could be a very exciting end to the transfer window.

He's a typical Swansea player really, will be a good fit for them I think. We clearly have our eye on some new CM's, and with Reed and JWP's progression, his time will be limited. I like Jack, terrific for us and has put in a great shift over the years. Thought he was a bargain signing in the NPC. Don't think he's quite England quality, but a decent player in the squad - but he clearly doesn't want to be that, which is fair enough.

If Swansea offer him football regular, then he'll have to take it at his age.

This

Shame to see him go but like you say Reed has effectively put the nail in his coffin. Been a grear servant for the club but Morgan, Davis and Vic are better players for the team and JWP and Reed are great young players that need time.

Will be good to get a fee and allow him to get first team football

I do think Corky is a touch over rated on here. Solid player no doubt, and never wanting for endeavour but he does have limits.

He's definitely not a 1st XI man when all are fit, and with the emergence of Reed/JWP he is slipping down the pecking order. I like him, and definitely think he is a useful player to have in the squad but can understand why he would fancy a move if he can get more football - which I think is also related to why he is a popular figure.

It's a shame, but it's certainly not the greatest loss. He's certainly replaceable. Reed has demonstrated recently against some very good teams he is more than capable of performing at this level already. Also, better to get some fee than lose him for nothing. I wonder if anyone will be bought in, should he go.

This

Shame to see him go but like you say Reed has effectively put the nail in his coffin. Been a grear servant for the club but Morgan, Davis and Vic are better players for the team and JWP and Reed are great young players that need time.

Will be good to get a fee and allow him to get first team football

Not sure about nails in the coffin. In the short-term, Cork still offers more than Reed. But we can't have our cake and eat it, especially when Cork enjoys most the bargaining power.

A lot of gun-jumping being performed by certain sections of the media, it seems. I'm led to believe we've not accepted any bid, Cork's agent hasn't been given permission to open formal discussions with any club, and they are still negotiating for a new deal to stay here.

He may well end up going, but if he does, you can be damn sure we'll string it out until the deadline so he can't play against us on Sunday.

Amazing to see Jack is now rated as surplus by many on here. Quite a few had him in front of wanyama before the season started. And now he's fallen behind Reed and Ward Prowse too. Still our third best midfielder imo

I disagree, and always have. He's fine, but that's about it. Think Reed would do as good a job, and he isn't even in JWP league (although they play in different positions so not really comparable).

Agree with this. Especially as back up to Morgan.

I doubt they want to block Harrison Reed's pathway. Plus we have some other very promising central midfielders in the academy. Les Reed has mentioned on numerous occasions that the club wants to leave a path into the first team for the top academy players and Cork remaining as a squad player would in some ways block this.

Amazing to see Jack is now rated as surplus by many on here. Quite a few had him in front of wanyama before the season started. And now he's fallen behind Reed and Ward Prowse too. Still our third best midfielder imo

Yep still easily our third best centre mid, i'd still argue too that for certain games i'd still prefer Morgan/Cork dynamic.

Would be disappointed if this was true, as think he still has a lot to offer us, and I think he most likely would have signed a new contract had it been offered earlier.

That said, if he does leave, I'm sure we have plans to fill his place with a capable replacement.