The Jack Cork appreciation thread

Bad Wolf

Yea, there we go then. A post from from one of the forum lunatics settles the score alright.

I heard that we actually offered to slash his wages in half and told him he'll be playing in the U21's. Shocking treatment.

Forum lunatic? I've had that information from two completely different sources on two separate occasions. Why would I make it up? As I've said before, I'm not going to lose any sleep over people choosing whether or not they believe me. I'm happy to share the information I receive but the reality is that I've got far better things to do than sit on here making stuff up. The problem is that you post something and people immediately question your source. You supply that information and people still say you're a liar and reckon they know better than you. You can't win.

Edited by Sidney Fudpucker the 3rd

I wonder if we would have bought him if we hadn't been in Europe?

Probably not to be fair. Alao had Bertrand out at that time. With everyone fit he wouldn't make the bench.

Would rather use Jack Stephens as that sort of backup rather than him being sat on Boro's bench in what now looks a strange loan, surely we want him to play?

Agree, no point in the loan if he is just going to warm their bench.

The season is long though, he may well be a regular starter by the end of the season, in a team that looks likely to be near the top of the div. I think this loan will be best judged later in the season.

Not even a slight opinion or gut feeling?

From what I've seen he is poor. Presumably we didn't expect him to play as much as he has needed to.

I saw him briefly against United and a few minutes earlier in the season so no, I don't feel I have seen enough even to form even a gut feeling right now. During the game I thought it was him that brought that good save from De Gea at the end only to find out later it was Vic, so before I form an opinion I need to be sure I am talking about the right player!!

I appreciated him today, particularly his marking for corners ;)

Watched, to see what I miss as don't seem to rate him as highly as others. Saw trademark sideways passes, totally outclassed by JWP and Wanyama.

Only one game I know, but think he would struggle for the bench with everyone fit if was still here.

Ron was very complimentary about him before the match but said that it was the players' decision to leave when it became clear that he wasn't going to be a first pick. Ron was ok with him leave and has no regrets. He said that he is pleased with Cork's progress at Swansea. "He had potential. He was not a young player, he was an important person and player in the group," insisted Koeman. "But always there is a moment for that kind of player, if they accept the role at that moment or they are looking for a new challenge. He took his new challenge." I guess there will always be those who want to believe that Jack Cork was treated badly by the club and that is why he left. From the sound of it to me he was valued but wasn't going to be first choice so he decided to move on.

Hopefully his performance today, or lack of it, will stop people moaning about us allowing him to leave. Jack was a good player for us, but chose not to accept his place further down the pecking order so it was best for both parties. Totally outclassed in the middle of the pitch, and as far as I'm concerned he wouldn't make the bench of our current team.

Edited by bpsaint

Hopefully his performance today, or lack of it, will stop people moaning about us allowing him to leave. Jack was a good player for us, but chose not to accept his place further down the pecking line so it was best for both parties. Totally outclassed in the middle of the pitch, and as far as I'm concerned he wouldn't make the bench of our current team.

Same goes for those who were calling for Lambert to come back. He was very ordinary against us a couple of weeks ago and wouldn't be anything other than a bench warmer for us with the odd 5 minute cameo.

Hopefully his performance today, or lack of it, will stop people moaning about us allowing him to leave. Jack was a good player for us, but chose not to accept his place further down the pecking order so it was best for both parties. Totally outclassed in the middle of the pitch, and as far as I'm concerned he wouldn't make the bench of our current team.

That was his problem here, he didn't always make the bench, we had outgrown him

What's wrong with the thread? I created it as tribute to a decent player who more than played his part in our rise up the leagues.

Ok maybe not so much the thread but more the people fawning over him and questioning why we let him go every 5 minutes.

I didn't even realise he was playing. Would struggle to make our bench.

Someone said to me "Cork didn't play did he?", to which I pointed out that he played first half and was replaced at half time.

Yesterday rather upgraded my expectations of Saints' finishing position this season, the Leicester game will also be key in that early-season appraisal.

Getting all the time he had at SMS did a lot to benefit a Chelsea career which seemed to have become an endless string of " loan-outs", but no first team games.

Much of the time, he DAJFU - when needed - but he was rarely an automatic first choice. The competition for his role was tough, and he couldn't quite overcome it.

Again, a bit more of a " fans favourite " than the manager's, but WHO would you have dropped - in order to have played him regularly?

Likeable.. and probably " a good club man " for the club who finally keeps him. Garry Monk has a place for him at Swansea, and If GM stays, then Jack will also.

We shouldn't expect players to " automatically fail " when moving ...(unless it's to Liverpool)...and Jason Puncheon seems more important to Palace than he was to us.

Artur Boruc seems OK at Bournemouth, and Billy Sharp will always DAJF.... whichever Adkins' side he plays for.

Jack was ineffectual for the Swans on Saturday, but he wasn't the only one....but I'm sure he will be an asset to their side for some time to come.

Well at least Cork never spat a dummy and refused to play (a decision that might have cost us our Europe place). I know who I would rather have next to me in a trench.

So, he's not as good as Wanyama, but we should have made more of an effort to keep him in case we see a return to a mode of warfare that largely died out more than half a century ago. I think that should probably stand as the final word on the matter.

That was his problem here, he didn't always make the bench, we had outgrown him

I think that's spot on and sums it up nicely.

That said, it shouldnt detract from the great job he did for us and his pivitol role in keeping us up in our first season back.

Well at least Cork never spat a dummy and refused to play (a decision that might have cost us our Europe place). I know who I would rather have next to me in a trench.

Cork seems nice bloke, was never disappointed to see him in the side, and the return of his partnership with Schneiderlin certainly improved us.

I wouldn't want any of my views, that I feel he is a limited player, to be read as knocking him as a person, feeling he didn't work hard, or criticising him for moving on.

Two points though;

1) I don't think Koeman is as rigid in his formation as MP was. I don't think he wants to side by side defensive midfielders all of the time, hence the desire for someone who adds a bit more than Cork and generally tidy / sideways play.

2) with JWP 's improved physical game during recent home games I can't see anything Cork offers over him. I suspect, if Cork was still here, that Koeman would pick these ahead of him

1) Wanyama

2) JWP

3) Classie

4) Romeu

5) Davis

And possibly Harrison Reid.

Don't think we miss him at all.

I hope he does well, and improves.

Cork seems nice bloke, was never disappointed to see him in the side, and the return of his partnership with Schneiderlin certainly improved us.

I wouldn't want any of my views, that I feel he is a limited player, to be read as knocking him as a person, feeling he didn't work hard, or criticising him for moving on.

Two points though;

1) I don't think Koeman is as rigid in his formation as MP was. I don't think he wants to side by side defensive midfielders all of the time, hence the desire for someone who adds a bit more than Cork and generally tidy / sideways play.

2) with JWP 's improved physical game during recent home games I can't see anything Cork offers over him. I suspect, if Cork was still here, that Koeman would pick these ahead of him

1) Wanyama

2) JWP

3) Classie

4) Romeu

5) Davis

And possibly Harrison Reid.

Don't think we miss him at all.

I hope he does well, and improves.

Pochettino's system was much more flexible than Koeman's. Playing from positions rather than out of a good organisation. The front four interchanged constantly. So called sideways passing was a consequence of Pochettino putting a premium on possession.

Pochettino's system was much more flexible than Koeman's. Playing from positions rather than out of a good organisation. The front four interchanged constantly. So called sideways passing was a consequence of Pochettino putting a premium on possession.

Yep, we were much more fluid under MP. Also recall Cork starting in a more advanced position when we were plagued with injuries towards the end of 13/14 season (indeed, further forward than Davis). Did a surprisingly good job against the likes of Everton, though thats a different discussion.

Agree with everyone on here who says we've moved on from him and he'd be nowhere near the team etc.

But probably worth saying he was particular ineffective yesterday, think we all know he can play better than that. I'd suggest that if any team in the league would be able to nullify him, it's probably us given how well the likes of Vic, Davis and JWP would know his strengths and weaknesses.

He's not as bad as he looked at times on Saturday, but he's not good enough for us now.

• 3 weeks later...
Sad to see him go, one of my favourite Saints players since I've been supporting the club.

Always gave 100%, very steady on the ball, a very handy squad player to have but he wanted more than that and fair play to him. Apparently his contract at Swansea is worth less money than what we offered him so he chose playing football regularly over money, fair play again. I'm glad he got a few goals in before he left too.

Shame we've outgrown him slightly now, it's always sad when a player leaves who was part of the previous "era" and his contribution to getting us up and keeping us up that first season won't be forgotten.

My favourite memories of him are his first league goal for us against Newcastle as well as our appalling start in our first season back up. 4 points from the first 10 games I think and joint worst start in PL history, then he came in for his first game in a home game against Swansea ironically and we got a solid 1-1 draw and then our good run started. I don't think it's a mere coincidence that our season dramatically improved when he came into the team.

Wish him all the best at Swansea and hope he gets a good reception at St Mary's next season.

Goodbye and thank you, Jack!

Have to say I was always a fan but watching him recently and again tonight against Stoke he has been pretty poor....