Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 0-1 Swansea

Saint-Armstrong

Great (near perfect when all fit ?) defence and midfield but Pelle couldn't score in a brothel at the moment :(

We seem to have back the Pelle of August 2014 when he was rusty and lacking in confidence, and there seem to be no other options on the horizon ? (won't see Jay Rod until the next season and no signing tomorrow)...

Well, we now know how United fans felt after our victory at OT. Credit where it's due, Swansea defended well - got a bit of luck when needed, but Williams was superb. Took their chances when they came.

Tadic and Pelle both poor - the latter really starting to worry me with lack of goals. Need another striker ASAP. Tadic would be better off playing where JWP plays - he's wasted out wide.

Reed was very good - game changed taking him off. Certainly one for the future and showing that we don't really miss Cork.

Bertrand - deserved red card - reckless challenge which summed up a very poor performance from him - not overly convinced by him and last 4 goals conceded have come down his side of the pitch.

Taking Reed off was the error. Him and Davis had control of the midfield. Mane should have come on for Tadic

Generally agree, however reed was either flagging or was being lazy in the minutes immediately prior to his substitution. Maybe we should have brought Cork on for reed.

Oh wait.

Agree with a lot of what's been said:

- Shouldn't have taken Harry off - left too much space there. A Shelvey goal was grimly inevitable.

- Pelle did well trying to hold up the ball, chesting it off etc, but his problem seems to be positioning in the box. He was never in quite the right place.

- We'll be a lot stronger when the three injured are back, and we should definitely try Elia and Mane each side of Pelle for a full ninety mins. But we really do need another striker.

- I'm usually a glass-half-full fan when it comes to Saints, and we're still 4th for now, and we have plenty of winnable games to come. But this did feel like the weekend the stronger bigger squads laid down their markers for the rest of the season. We've only got one competition to focus on, and I still believe - but it's a big ask to stay in the top four from here on in.

- Any kind of European place would be a massive achievement - and will go a long way in determining who stays and who goes in the summer.

- Never dull being a Saints fan.

COYR

Doesn't the fact that he should have stopped it.

Pelle and Tadic were poor. We need to be better going forward.

The problem with Pelle is pretty obvious.... He doesn't make runs off the ball so he doesn't create space by pulling defenders around. This result is in the central area it is conjested and his positioning is very prodictable and he is very easy to mark. Really it is lazy play from him. By contrast Ricky used to run off towards the flanks pulling defenders all over the place and creating that space for others to work in.

Certainly the coaches need to get a handle on this aspect of Pelle's play because it is hampering our attacking options...

Had a feeling we'd get a draw today, never thought we'd lose the game and judging by the first half performance we certainly didn't deserve to.

Annoyed at the goal we conceded, Shelvey gave the defence a warning when they backed off and he hit the post, yet they failed to heed it.

Nevermind, let's hope for a couple of reinforcements to arrive tomorrow.

One thing is evident, we've missed Morgan and Vic so much in the middle of the park recently providing that extra bit of stability at the back. When they're back, we'll be back to our old selves. Tadic worries me though - Pelle gets stick for not scoring enough but the service he's been getting from wide recently has been appalling. I don't think Elia or Mane are the type to provide for others, more like JayRod looking to play on the shoulder and get in behind. Tadic needs to up his game if we're to get firing on all cylinders again.

I thought the Northam were generally quite vociferous today, but then again, I sit in the Chapel/Kingsland corner, so maybe there is a better perspective from there. As for the assertion that the crowd got on the team's back the last 20 minutes, again I didn't notice that at all. I thought that there was good encouragement during that period. But then again, I must have been sitting in the wrong place to have heard it. Either that, or you were.

I'm in block 26 so maybe it has to be pretty loud for me to hear properly but it didn't seem that great today.

One thing is evident, we've missed Morgan and Vic so much in the middle of the park recently providing that extra bit of stability at the back. When they're back, we'll be back to our old selves. Tadic worries me though - Pelle gets stick for not scoring enough but the service he's been getting from wide recently has been appalling. I don't think Elia or Mane are the type to provide for others, more like JayRod looking to play on the shoulder and get in behind. Tadic needs to up his game if we're to get firing on all cylinders again.

Mane was class when he came on he will be fine.

Mane was class when he came on he will be fine.

Don't have my doubts about Mane and what he gives to the team, but he doesn't seem like the kind of player that will provide many assists like Tadic did earlier in the season and how JWP has been recently. I just wonder if Tadic continues to have a dry spell whether we'll be as dangerous as a unit up top.

I don't know, Elia and Mane both put in some great balls in dangerous areas today but no-one was anywhere near them. Ditto with Tadic, fair enough you can say that he should be looking for Pelle but similarly Pelle should be moving towards the space. I think they're both equally to blame.

I don't know, Elia and Mane both put in some great balls in dangerous areas today but no-one was anywhere near them. Ditto with Tadic, fair enough you can say that he should be looking for Pelle but similarly Pelle should be moving towards the space. I think they're both equally to blame.

I didn't watch the game today, just going on what i've seen previously. Pelle isn't the most mobile striker so he's not absolved of blame for not getting on the end of things but it's an area we were so strong on at the start of the season I just wonder what's happened with it..

I didn't watch the game today, just going on what i've seen previously. Pelle isn't the most mobile striker so he's not absolved of blame for not getting on the end of things but it's an area we were so strong on at the start of the season I just wonder what's happened with it..

With one of Mane or Long in the team earlier in the season, there was a lot more movement in the box so defenders were pulled about a bit more. Elia didn't move about much today when he didn't have the ball, but he did very well beating his man.

We obviously missed the injured people in midfield, but I've been very frustrated watching Tadic and JWP play the last few home games, JWP especially. I so want him to do well, but he runs alongside players and never tackles, just like the 8 year old's do in the tyro league. He is obviously good for his age by his England caps, but he just doesn't do enough for me. His free kicks and corners have been mostly poor, and I think we actually played a lot better as a team when he was out injured. I said at the start of the season that it would have been better to loan JWP out to a championship team this year and toughen him up, and I still think so. Reed impressed again today, which was good to see, don't understand why he was taken off,

We obviously missed the injured people in midfield, but I've been very frustrated watching Tadic and JWP play the last few home games, JWP especially. I so want him to do well, but he runs alongside players and never tackles, just like the 8 year old's do in the tyro league. He is obviously good for his age by his England caps, but he just doesn't do enough for me. His free kicks and corners have been mostly poor, and I think we actually played a lot better as a team when he was out injured. I said at the start of the season that it would have been better to loan JWP out to a championship team this year and toughen him up, and I still think so. Reed impressed again today, which was good to see, don't understand why he was taken off,

I've said numerous timed, don't get the JWP hype. He is a Championship player at best. I see he has signed a five-year contract, but he isn't a player who can help us progress

Don't have my doubts about Mane and what he gives to the team, but he doesn't seem like the kind of player that will provide many assists like Tadic did earlier in the season and how JWP has been recently. I just wonder if Tadic continues to have a dry spell whether we'll be as dangerous as a unit up top.

What? like the backheel for Bertrand against QPR? Or his turn and cross for Bertrand against Palace? Or the way he laid the goal on a plate for JWP against Arsenal or Pelle against Hull etc etc?

is pelle carrying a knock?

seemed to expect the ball to be crossed to his standing position

a couple of decent crosses put in and he just really stood there instead of attacking the ball/getting ahead of the keeper

great performance 1st half. should have been 2-0 up really. shyte 2nd half and Koeman made us worse with the substitution.

I've said numerous timed, don't get the JWP hype. He is a Championship player at best. I see he has signed a five-year contract, but he isn't a player who can help us progress

It's not a popular view on here, but we really did look better when he was out injured. The observation of JWP running alongside an attacking player and not tackling - as with the lead up to Shelvey's goal is demoralising to watch. If you take the corners and free kicks out of his game he is a complete luxury.

It's not a popular view on here, but we really did look better when he was out injured. The observation of JWP running alongside an attacking player and not tackling - as with the lead up to Shelvey's goal is demoralising to watch. If you take the corners and free kicks out of his game he is a complete luxury.

:lol:

well, get used to it as the academy is a huge part of our club and he is here to stay.

More so when we will bring in loans and lesser known players to go with him....

JWP is a very good player who is going to play for england in the next few years

is pelle carrying a knock?

seemed to expect the ball to be crossed to his standing position

a couple of decent crosses put in and he just really stood there instead of attacking the ball/getting ahead of the keeper

great performance 1st half. should have been 2-0 up really. shyte 2nd half and Koeman made us worse with the substitution.

Strangely hasn't been that threatening from crosses all season - think he's scored one header. That's it. For Feyenoord, he was famous for attacking the near post -whether on the ground or in the air- but not really done that for us.

But seriously Forster? I've never seen anything like it with a keeper. So many clean sheets but when you really watch, it's largely due to no shots on target. Did Swansea have more than 1? Is that the problem? Lack of practice? Concentration? It's rare they're obvious errors but so many goals conceded I'd want him to do far better. For a premier league keeper that size, with a whole hand on the ball? No, that was really poor..

And this is it, sadly. People prefer not to see that though and trundle out the fact that we're still doing fine or that our clean sheet record is great so he must be doing a great job. Well, he's not. He's been at best, average. It's not scapegoating, its legitimate criticism. He's miles away from Boruc in many many attributes and facets.

He had two major things to do today and he screwed up both, one almost hugely. If we're lucky, we get away with it. if we're not, it gets highlighted. Either way, our superb defensive displays have masked his huge deficiencies and will continue to do so I expect.

Strangely hasn't been that threatening from crosses all season - think he's scored one header. That's it. For Feyenoord, he was famous for attacking the near post and -whether on the ground or in the air but not really done that for us.

A couple of time crosses were put in and fabianski was able to step out and claim them. a couple of them were ripe for someone to attack the near post.

he just stood there.

Also, a few times in the box he will try and bring the ball down (when heavily marked)....instead of attacking the ball with his head like he did at newcastle (where he hit the bar)

maybe it is the fact he gets almost no rest in the fixtures and is battered all game...we really need another like him

And this is it, sadly. People prefer not to see that though and trundle out the fact that we're still doing fine or that our clean sheet record is great so he must be doing a great job. Well, he's not. He's been at best, average. It's not scapegoating, its legitimate criticism. He's miles away from Boruc in many many attributes and facets.

He had two major things to do today and he screwed up both, one almost hugely. If we're lucky, we get away with it. if we're not, it gets highlighted. Either way, our superb defensive displays have masked his huge deficiencies and will continue to do so I expect.

he isnt miles away from boruc. Boruc is good for an injury for 6-7 games a season. and I also watched all the goals (for and against) from last season and boruc let in some shockers!!!

John Jo Shelvey is a particularly unattractive human I was thinking to myself just before he scored. I was also thinking **** I hope he doesn't take too many shots from range. Oh well. Annoying but sometimes better teams lose when they don't take or create enough chances. That was us.

Exactly, up until recently he'd never even assisted a goal, and never looks like scoring. I really don't see what else he provides for the team, or what his role is. As for the game itself, it was just one of those days. Some of the reactions from people saying we were **** are hilarious.

At least this game put to bed the idea that a whole Northam end would produce a better atmosphere. 43 and 44 all sat down and totally silent.

This has been discussed to death - there will not be a "whole Northam" for home fans for the foreseeable future.

There is another behind the goal stand which is available solely to home fans...

This has been discussed to death - there will not be a "whole Northam" for home fans for the foreseeable future.

There is another behind the goal stand which is available solely to home fans...

Part of which is the Family Stand, so that's not going to work either.

After 20 minutes I just had the feeling we were going to lose 1-0 - although I thought it would be Dyer who scored the goal. For all our possession we just didn't get enough shots on target and our play seemed very one-dimensional. Everything was pushed out wide (apart from at the end when we seemed to just lump the ball forward). At one point in the first half we seemed to have 4 wingers with both Bertrand and Clyne bombing forward, and I was disappointed that neither Elia (although I thought he had some great touches) or Tadic seemed to want to come inside and play off Pelle and look for the loose balls.

Disappointed to see that Arsenal stuck 5 away as well and have now virtually caught up our goal difference too.

This is where Koeman and team really needs to earn their money and come up with something (Lionel Messi would be nice :) ), but let's be honest, we were never going to carry on and win every game. I think that although it's not a "must win" game against QPR, if we do, we can then go on a little run - at least up until the Chelsea game . If we were to win the next 5 (which means beating West Ham and Liverpool at home and hopefully finishing them off as challengers) we could still be in for a great end of season.

Or... it could be same old Saints. Flatter to deceive and finish amongst the also-rans. Hmmm....feeling despondent at the moment. Can't quite work out if my glass is half empty or half full.

Calm down guys. 4th place with 15 games to go ain't too shabby.

Of all the injured players we are missing Big Vic the most. I know Schneiderlin is absolute class but, for me, Vic has been our best defensive midfielder by a mile this season. I think he's improved immensely on last year in just about all ways.

We really missed our midfield engine room today. We will be back on it once Schneiderlin and Wanyama return and allow Davis to play further forward in place of JWP. Add to that Toby coming back to partner Fonte and we're still in good shape.

In a few weeks time the European games kick off again. Liverpool have a bit of fixture congestion when they come to play us.

We have bounced back before this season, we will do so again.

COYRAWM

I should really learn to place bets on my pre match hunches.

Agree with most that the wrong man was substituted. We really need the strikeforce sorted quickly, Pelle is basically playing as lone striker and it is not working.

We were playing Mane and Pelle centrally (Mane leading the line with Pelle taking up a deeper role) just before Mane was injured. It worked vs Chelsea and I expect Koeman to tinker with the formation now that he has options once again. He's tinkered with the formation throughout the season but recently it's been difficult given the lack of first team quality players available.

As nobody else has mentioned Steven Davis, I will. Wish we had three more like him, never knows when to give up. Great game for him and a fine example to the younger lads who really have been chucked in at the deep end and understandably are struggling to cope week in, week out.

Sadly, today we never looked like scoring and raiding the Dutch league yet again for more forwards is not the answer. Tadic, Pelle (and Elia on today's showing) are struggling to get through packed PL defences simply because they have been playing at a lower level before.

There is little point in blaming individuals it was team failure to be inventive enough to unpick the lock of the rigidly locked door.

Calm down guys. 4th place with 15 games to go ain't too shabby.

Of all the injured players we are missing Big Vic the most. I know Schneiderlin is absolute class but, for me, Vic has been our best defensive midfielder by a mile this season. I think he's improved immensely on last year in just about all ways.

We really missed our midfield engine room today. We will be back on it once Schneiderlin and Wanyama return and allow Davis to play further forward in place of JWP. Add to that Toby coming back to partner Fonte and we're still in good shape.

In a few weeks time the European games kick off again. Liverpool have a bit of fixture congestion when they come to play us.

We have bounced back before this season, we will do so again.

COYRAWM

The reality is that the other contenders for top six spots are likely to win all their matches other than when playing each other, so we must at least match them to have any chance. The 3 points lost today will not come back and it is doubtful any of the others would have slipped up in this way at this stage of the season. If we don't snap out of the ineffectual lethargy that overtook us last weekend and this very quickly we will be fighting for 7th or 8th.

Sat just in front of Jeff Stelling today in block 5 and had a quick chat at half time. I asked him what he would he say if he was in the saints dressing room and he said he thought Saints were playing really well, but it is really difficult "when only one team is trying to play football". He particularly pointed out how negative it was of Swansea using Dyer basically as an extra midfield player. (He then spent the rest of half time break talking to someone about his beloved Hartlepool at which time I lost interest slightly!)

The reality is that the other contenders for top six spots are likely to win all their matches other than when playing each other, so we must at least match them to have any chance. The 3 points lost today will not come back and it is doubtful any of the others would have slipped up in this way at this stage of the season. If we don't snap out of the ineffectual lethargy that overtook us last weekend and this very quickly we will be fighting for 7th or 8th.

Slip up's happen to anyone and everyone. The teams in and around us will not win all of their matches, it just won't happen. Wait until the fixtures pile up with all the European games etc. Today was a tad frustrating, but the performance (for 60 mins at least) was there. Still lots to fight for and lots to be positive about. The fact we're even talking about this being a possibility is extraordinary. Let's just enjoy where we are whilst we can, in football you never know what's around the corner.

I was disappointed with Swansea, we picked this match as we thought they were a good footballing side and it would make an entertaining game ! Time wasting from kick off in the first half , Gomis conning the ref all match plus the overly physical challenges esp by their bloke who got stretchered off and is apparently OK after all !

Have to watch MoTD to see if it was a red and if Forster could have saved the goal , thought Forster was improving this match ie not staying rooted to the goal line but then be rushes out to save a corner and falls over . Tadic in the second half slowed the attack time and again then went for an easy lay off or duff pass/cross but who are all these balls into the box meant to be for ?? most of the time no one got near them. Mane nearly made the difference , perhaps he could of come on at half time and not played in the same part of the pitch as Elia.

I should really learn to place bets on my pre match hunches.

Agree with most that the wrong man was substituted. We really need the strikeforce sorted quickly, Pelle is basically playing as lone striker and it is not working.

He's played as a lone striker all season - bar two games where he played with Long in a pair - and we're third in the table. It's working better than anything else we've done in our history.

Was at the game and thought I would calm down before posting.

I think today we were unlucky not to win and in no way deserved to lose. However that type of game has happened a few times this season already. Burnley, Ipswich (home) Villa, Spurs and West Brom off the top of my head. It is something we have a problem with. And that is turning possession into chances and ultimately goals. If we take away the Sunderland result our goals for is not very good. In fact it would be around mid-table in regards to goals scored.

The problem we have is we control the ball very well around the half way mark and just inside the opponents half. But when it comes to that final third we have no pace to get behind the defence, no creativity with the ball. Too many times we get to a point where we try a lob or a cross for Pelle and it goes either too far in front of him or straight to their keeper. Its like we get to that final part and don't know what to do. It is easy to keep the ball, its what you do with it that hurts your opponent that matters. We don't do that enough.

Swansea showed us today as have others that you don't need the ball all the time to win games. But when you do have it be direct and try and put the other team on the back foot. When you create an opening take a shot. We don't do that. We try and pass it into the net which just isn't going to happen. We really are crying out for that midfield player who will run at players and take a shot from outside the box. We are set up way too defensively in my opinion as I said earlier in the season.

Our other problem is set pieces. The quality of delivery has been woeful at times. If JWP is having a bad game as he was today then let someone else have a go. I don't see the point in persisting with the same taker if it isn't working. I think every corner/free kick was wasted today. I even saw Pelle shout at Prowse after he crossed straight to their keeper from a free kick. It must be frustrating for those guys who get forward only have to run back straight away.

Another issue I feel is Forster. As I mentioned before he seems to suffer a lack of focus at times. Maybe that is from not being involved for long periods of the game. But he should of done better with their goal in my opinion.

So its not the end of the world far from it. But it highlights the flaws our team has. We need to bring in a fast up front player, not put them out on the wing. We have to come up with ways of getting the ball forward faster rather then hoping to pass the ball through their entire team. I also think we lack a plan B. If one way is not working seems silly to keep trying it.