Red card?

Asaint4ever

I think there's absolutely zero chance of that being rescinded because they can always fall back on the "reckless" angle. Magnified by the fact that Oliver is one of their very few "up and coming" referees, so they'll stand behind him.

Still, Targett is an adequate replacement.

IMO if you get the ball first then it isn't red, surely the object of the excercise is to win the ball above all else ?

If deemed reckless then a yellow is sufficient !

Ps. I have always maintained this view, not just because of this incident !

The rules state if it's dangerous and bot feet leave the ground you should be sent off. It was nasty.

IMO if you get the ball first then it isn't red, surely the object of the excercise is to win the ball above all else ?

If deemed reckless then a yellow is sufficient !

Ps. I have always maintained this view, not just because of this incident !

Getting the ball first does not negate every other element of the tackle. It was poor and reckless and a red card was fair enough.

Was at the game so hadnt seen it back.

Based on that its a yellow for me. Unfortunately the fact Barrow was stretchered off (hopefully he is ok) probably (wrongly) makes an appeal less likely to suceed.

Also appeals rarely work for these types. It was a bad tackle. If it were successfully appealed than reds would be appealed every week.

Gaston Ramirez and Benteke reds vs Spurs were far less than Bertrand's.

It's the lack of consistency that grates. To take one example: Wes Brown's challenge on Gaston was deemed perfectly legal because he supposedly won the ball (debatable), even though it was probably more reckless than Bertrand's.

Edited by shurlock

It looked like a yellow to me. Koeman thought so too, I didn't know that Monk agreed. Seeing the replay, it looks a bit clumsy that Bertrand's leg went over the ball, but he did make contact with the ball first and it wasn't malicious.

It didn't surprise me one little bit that the ref red-carded it, as a series of poor decisions favouring Swansea all afternoon indicated that would be the case. In particular, he awarded a series of free-kicks to that fat Frog lump Gomis for minimal contact. but typically Pelle was taking the usual abuse from defenders leaning on him, kicking the sh*t out of him and getting nothing.

Depends on definition of what is a red card. My preference is that, that sort of tackle wouldn't be a red card as it wouldn't have been in the past. However they've radically changed the interpretation and under that expanded interpretation its possible to justify it as a red. So doubt there's any chance of a successful appeal.

I listened to the game on the radio, the taters made it sound like a red but it doesn't look so bad having seen it. Yes he went over the top of the ball, but when he actually makes the challenge his right foot is planted - seems that he's only off the ground after he makes contact with the ball and then Barrow comes through and takes him off his feet. I'm not sure he's entirely in control of the challenge but it doesn't seem particularly malicious and I think we've probably got a good chance of getting it rescinded. It's a yellow, but straight red? No chance.

Pretty much the same angle I had at the stadium. Surely that is no way a red card - with my slightly biased match head on I was livid he'd even given a free kick as he go the ball. I was mad when he looked like he was booking him. Red? Amazing. I can only assume it looked much worse from other angles.

Quite rare that the opposition managers questions a red.

For me I feel he was unlucky. Was no intention to hurt him, he won the ball but sadly went through but for me I feel it wasn't a red. Wonder if we apeal. Thoughts?

I think he had every intention to hurt him personally. Followed through, reckless, high

Definate red for me, winning the ball is largely irrelevant

I saw the game on telly and they showed the replay many times and you clearly see that he had the eyes on the ball so no way it was red. Unless he got if for running over to Monk and started screaming at him and the other coaches - then it was deserved - but for the kick - no way

Didn't think it was a red from my Northam view; having seen it several times on the Sky recording playback, the only foul is from the cheating diving Swansea player, who went in studs up; Ryan went in studs down, side footed and got the ball, his follow through hardly touched the guy! I also think his standing leg slipped slightly which pushed his left foot up a bit. Should have been a Saints free kick.