James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Played well today, at fault for Everton goal thou. Long may his resurgence continue. Finally being played in his best position.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

What no tongue in cheek smiley thingymabob?

how can you lay the fault at his door, that ball was like a hot potato pinging around in our box, you could equally blame Romeu for not getting his fat backside out of the way of one of the clearances that ricocheted back into the mix, or young Jan for adding to his bruise collection for the day by diving on the ball like it was a hand grenade!

:D

I've been a consistent critic of JWP, but he was very good today - great work rate, nice one touch passing and the goal was exceptional. I think he benefits from playing around Hojbjerg and Romeu. There will be sterner tests but he made his mark today; well done.

how can you lay the fault at his door, that ball was like a hot potato pinging around in our box, you could equally blame Romeu for not getting his fat backside out of the way of one of the clearances that ricocheted back into the mix, or young Jan for adding to his bruise collection for the day by diving on the ball like it was a hand grenade!

I’m pinning the blame on McCarthy. We’ve got two of England’s best goalkeepers (and probably the universe) sitting out because of him. McCarthy too slow, ponderous, very average, not tall enough, too tall, too fat, too slim ...

#ourfansareweapons

His cleared header went about 5 yards, that's why. Taking nothing away from him overall thou.

Covered the most ground of any saints player today (stat, not opinion) after playing the full 120 on Wednesday. You can’t question the lads fitness levels!

Yeah, he's definitely improved on that. Fair play.

The change in shape (well, same shape as v Derby but different to usual league shape) today helped him as well, along with Everton being a mess and leaving loads of space between their lines. I think that was probably his best performance for us though.

Not sure if was a view shared by many, but I remember thinking that JWP had been generally playing well in CM during the Puel season. The all-important 'end product' still wasn't quite there (skied that chance at the San Siro, I also remember a shocking miss at home to Swansea in a crucial game under Koeman), but I thought there were signs that good things were to come. Essentially the arguments on here would always come down to whether you thought those signs were there or not, or whether he would continue to 'flatter to deceive' (to use an uncharitable interpretation of his last 4 years or so). Those arguments can't really be 'won', they're about how you view the evidence you already have (are the signs of 'playing well' likely to lead to actually proving himself as a player?), and so it basically comes down to your intuition on the game.

For me, the range of passing, glaringly obvious quality of delivery (both from open play and set pieces) and improving physicality (which really started in the Puel season, though its becoming more salient now with game time and new regime) were more than enough for me. He is and was never going to be an incredibly dynamic CM like Hojberg or Lemina (when he gets his act together), because those aren't gifts he was given, but I always like to see him on the pitch because he has a superb right foot and can find players in wide areas with a long pass and work in tight spaces in the centre. Those skills are ones our other CMs do not have (Lemina probably the closest). The battle obviously isn't won but glad to see he's impressed the manager - an unexpected positive from PEH's suspension.

He still has work to do (he's so reluctant to use his left foot, even though it's not weak when he's forced to do so) and this limits him, but if he can step up a level or two under Ralph and keep affecting games then we have another great CM options for years to come.

He had several problems in the past. Almost as if he was using Steven Davis as his example. Firstly he almost always played immediately sideways or backwards and sometimes to poorly placed players. He has become much more dynamic and ran with the ball yesterday including making forward runs without the ball, something he almost never did. He marked from too far away and almost always rushed in and missed his usually weak tackle. Yesterday he was much more determined and competed aggressively. He has a great engine and sitting in midfield was wasting it.

Most importantly he didn't try to bend his foot around the ball for his shot, he put his foot through it. Consequently he got power and a little bend with a well directed shot.

He almost tries to bend the ball too much with his dead ball delivery. Sometimes he needs to try for less bend.

He played well yesterday and is certainly playing himself into the team. Had a similar sort of spell under Puel but for various reasons didn’t really push on and become a regular. Although he does deserve to be starting, clearly a fully focused Lemina is a far better player at the moment. Therefore, if Lemina got his head out of the clouds, would JWP start above PEH or Romeu? He needs to push on and continue the improvement of the past 4 weeks before I’m convinced he’s finally arrived.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

He played well yesterday and is certainly playing himself into the team. Had a similar sort of spell under Puel but for various reasons didn’t really push on and become a regular. Although he does deserve to be starting, clearly a fully focused Lemina is a far better player at the moment. Therefore, if Lemina got his head out of the clouds, would JWP start above PEH or Romeu? He needs to push on and continue the improvement of the past 4 weeks before I’m convinced he’s finally arrived.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

For me he starts ahead of Armstrong in the more advanced role. Difficult as not convinced that his best position, but imo he’s not as good / consistent as Romeu, PEH or Lemina

For me he starts ahead of Armstrong in the more advanced role. Difficult as not convinced that his best position, but imo he’s not as good / consistent as Romeu, PEH or Lemina

Lemina? Consistent? Talented yes but you are never sure what you will get from him.

Lemina? Consistent? Talented yes but you are never sure what you will get from him.

Thank goodness anybody that isn't giving 100% every second he is on the pitch isn't even going to make the bench. Occasional brilliance in midfield, beating three players and losing the ball isn't going to cut it with forward players making runs for an early pass.

But we played a flatter 352 yesterday. If we were playing 3421 then I'd have Armstrong over JWP.

But we played a flatter 352 yesterday. If we were playing 3421 then I'd have Armstrong over JWP.

think the main objective is to play a 4222 though, so we have an extra mid available once he is happy to play a back 4, and so no one will need to be dropped.

Worst thing to do in a team all playing with huge smiles on faces and playing for each other and all coming into form, is to disrupt it and start making un needed changes.. Managers, ex players and pundits always question things when managers starts swapping and changing for no reason. if a player needs resting sure, rest them, but dropping performing players for no reason is always a big no no.

• 2 weeks later...
But I thought the general consensus was that he was crap and should be sold.

I always said he needs to step up, and he seemingly has. Hope it can carry on and is not a flash in the pan.

These crude indices (another American invention) are heavily skewed by things like goals scored, so no wonder he features highly. Goal apart, thought he had a very average game on Wednesday.

These crude indices (another American invention) are heavily skewed by things like goals scored, so no wonder he features highly. Goal apart, thought he had a very average game on Wednesday.

Yeah, he was generally pretty anonymous. Fair play for getting into the box and a good finish but I would have rather have had Armstrong out there from the start.

Given we haven't replaced Cedric, maybe he can make the right wing back position his for the remainder of the season.

think the main objective is to play a 4222 though, so we have an extra mid available once he is happy to play a back 4, and so no one will need to be dropped.

Worst thing to do in a team all playing with huge smiles on faces and playing for each other and all coming into form, is to disrupt it and start making un needed changes.. Managers, ex players and pundits always question things when managers starts swapping and changing for no reason. if a player needs resting sure, rest them, but dropping performing players for no reason is always a big no no.

I generally agree but I can't see this 4222 being used this season. I think we're a centre back, a right back, a midfielder and a striker short of being able to play that system effectively.

Yeah, he was generally pretty anonymous. Fair play for getting into the box and a good finish but I would have rather have had Armstrong out there from the start.

Given we haven't replaced Cedric, maybe he can make the right wing back position his for the remainder of the season.

He played there under Poch and seems to have the engine to get up and down. I'd certainly consider him there in games where he's not up against real pace and power.

• 4 weeks later...
...7c88d638fd6cdacaaaca75dc5326baea.jpg

Its almost like a talented young player has had ups and downs as he adapts to the league and finds his own game and place... before finally turning into the kind of player most people with football experience said he would become.... funny that.

The negativity he's received from a fair portion of a fan base that supposedly cherishes their academy players is somewhat disappointing. Hopefully he sticks with us.

As I've always said, JWP is a tactical player. He is a dream player for someone like Poch or Ralph as you can build a team around him, you can trust them to put in a shift and they are tactically astute in themselves to not need much guidance through a game.

Sure, he's never going to be quick or powerful, but he's good technically and tactically aware which means that managers like Ralph will always lean towards him.

If he keeps this form up until the end of the season I bet he finds himself back in the England squad.

He has an outside chance of getting a call up for the March games IMO. Maybe Redmond too....

I'm sure there's someone in the England set-up that'll put a good word in for them....

D0fWfCaWwAA75QN.jpg

Recorded MOTD and watched the Saints highlights earlier today. One of the replays of Saint's second was from behind the goal. It showed the shot from Redmond, but in picture you could see JWP busting a gut to get into the six yard box just in case. Which led to the goal. It's the sort of thing that James Beattie in his prime used to do very well. JWP has clearly been coached well by RH, and is taking it on board. Plus he seems to have finally learnt how to tackle.

Recorded MOTD and watched the Saints highlights earlier today. One of the replays of Saint's second was from behind the goal. It showed the shot from Redmond, but in picture you could see JWP busting a gut to get into the six yard box just in case. Which led to the goal. It's the sort of thing that James Beattie in his prime used to do very well. JWP has clearly been coached well by RH, and is taking it on board. Plus he seems to have finally learnt how to tackle.

Yes, he's improved under Ralph.

Seems mad that Ward-Prowse is still only 24, feels like he's been around forever, he'll qualify for a testimonial in a couple of years!

If he can keep up this form he'll deserve another call up, easy to forget that both him and Redmond are already full England internationals.

Could do with him threatening a bit more from his free kicks, hardly scored many considering his reputation for set pieces.

IMO he has beefed up a little, or he has finally grown into his body, he looks more like a man and less like a boy. I also think his increase in strength and power has given him a little bit more burst of acceleration/pace and the confidence to actually compete physically in the tackle.

The other thing he seems to be doing under Ralf is making more forward runs and moving the ball more quickly. He's always had the technical ability and has always been an intelligent footballer, aware of the tactical side of the game, and his work rate has always been good. But he's added more in the last 3 months.

If he keeps this up then he deserves an England recall, especially as its a weak area, if he keeps progressing he could establish himself there I reckon.

But its much like Redmond IMO, we are starting to see the promise that has been talked about for a long time, he needs to keep it up and keep progressing to show this is him maturing into a good player, not just a blip of good form.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic