James Ward-Prowse

Roger

Sky now saying Watford interested in a loan deal for JWP.

If there was no sell clause, would possibly give him some game time and allow us to keep him short term. Would also free up space in the squad for a striker ?

Why improve Watford, who may well be in competition against us regarding league placing. Swap him for the midfielder who handballed the goal last season and that would be ok

It is flat out unacceptable to sell him. That is gallagher, targett and JWP that the club have tried to shift this summer. Completely sold our soul.

We’ve said no to bids coming in. How is that selling our soul?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

It is flat out unacceptable to sell him. That is gallagher, targett and JWP that the club have tried to shift this summer. Completely sold our soul.

Wow. Bad day?

How does receiving a bid on a player equate to trying to sell him?

How does it square with Hughes saying he wants to keep the younger players until Jan to try and give them playing time?

The sky is not falling on your head ………..

You're being far too idealistic.

I would love to keep our soul but the Premier League doesn't allow that. If you want to find your soul and be able to compete, then it is the lower leagues. No bad thing IMO.

JWP is no world beater of that there is little doubt, however he is far more intelligent and skilful than a couple of others in our squad who spend most of the time giving the ball away or getting caught in pocession continuously.

Personally I believe he is a bit unsung and pre season has shown how we need him and cannot afford to move him on.

Now it’s strange no one is coming for Romeu wouldn’t you say.

Perhaps because obviously he is not as good by quite s distance.

Davis too is not attracting any coveted glances these two are both now off the pace for the first team, lose JWP too and you have a very patchy Lemina and Hojg to chose from and that’s it.

We cannot afford one of only three viable midfielders to move on and probably the most consistent one at that.

Muse, I would tend to agree with you on both points. But hey, this is the PL, and strange things happen. As for the article, not sure I would agree that he competes with Lemina and Romeu.

If anyone is to go from his position, I would think it would be Davis.

He won’t go this window but JWP remains one of our few bankable assets -if only by virtue of being English.

At some point the club will have to decide whether it’s better to keep JWP or sell what is effectively a squad player and reinvest in areas of need. The cupboard is getting pretty bare.

Muse, I would tend to agree with you on both points. But hey, this is the PL, and strange things happen. As for the article, not sure I would agree that he competes with Lemina and Romeu.

If anyone is to go from his position, I would think it would be Davis.

Thank God the season starts this weekend. Wild speculation about us selling pretty much every player in the team is getting a bit tedious now

Without our recent history of selling anyone valuable and decent we could dismiss said rumours

We can’t buy unless we sell (this summer’s spending owes much to the VVD sale).

The shopfront is pretty empty -and if given the choice of selling JWP, a squad player or Bertrand, an instrumental first-teamer, JWP wins hands-down everyday. Lesser evil and all that.

Edited by shurlock

JWP has always been most loyal to the Club , that counted once , I remember a quote from him many moon's ago when he said his dream was one day to Captain Saints , you don't get many to the pound like that nowadays , please stop knocking him he is one of our own , a phrase much lauded at another club doing rather better than ours !

JWP has always been most loyal to the Club , that counted once , I remember a quote from him many moon's ago when he said his dream was one day to Captain Saints , you don't get many to the pound like that nowadays , please stop knocking him he is one of our own , a phrase much lauded at another club doing rather better than ours !

He's a skate you stupid little troll

No way for 10 Million

how about £15m as per Sun article? What about £17m, £18m or £19m?

Love seeing young players come through into the side, and loathe to let him or any other player go, but the way I always think it is are they preventing a better player playing for Saints? His wages will be much higher than you imagine and that shirt could be filled with someone that dominates an opponent (which JWP fails to do). However, it relies on the quality of player brought in, an area most on here wonder about right now.

Edited by Chez

JWP has always been most loyal to the Club , that counted once , I remember a quote from him many moon's ago when he said his dream was one day to Captain Saints , you don't get many to the pound like that nowadays

Sounds like Lallana......that turned out well

Can't see it myself, just not a good fit either way. Reckon he'd last about as long as Eddie Howe did before wanting to get back home. Can't even see this, at a stretch, as mind-games as we match up on Sunday, they certainly wouldn't be that concerned with us!

• 2 months later...

As it’s his birthday today (24 now), perfect time to reflect on his performance over the past few years and what he needs to do for the sake of his career.

Watching Chelsea/Derby last night, it really struck home how far JWP as fallen really. Once a poster boy for the club and FA (under 21 captain etc.), he is now probably as far away from an England call up as he has ever been.

It may be due to competition or even game time, but watching Loftus-Cheeky, Barkley, Mount, Maddison, Foden and even Grealish (all similar players of a similar age/ younger) over the past 18 months, they are all streets ahead of him. Even in a deeper, more traditional CM role, you have Lewis Cook, Harry Winks, Tom Davies who are all more likely for a call up for the national team.

I think it’s clear to everyone that he’s a good ‘pro’ who has been well coached, but the reality is the modern game doesn’t really have a place for a player like him, in Midfield anyway. Personally, I think he is too weak and slow to play in CM and doesn’t have the flair / creativity to play out wide (I like my wingers to be quick and almost play as a forward). Maybe he could develop into a Pirlo type CDM, but again hes good with the ball but pretty safe (doesn’t have that defence splitting pass in him, imo).

I know JWP is a bit marmite, and Personally I don’t think there is a place for him in his current format / our system. However, I do think he has a future at the club and IMO I think he’d make a good RB (Tipper esque). Especially as we’re crying out for one with pretty much no competition to Cedric.

Not a thread to bash him or if we should/shouldn’t sell, more of a constructive ‘what can we do to improve him / resurrect his career?’

Play him. Do that and he’ll be in the England squad by the summer. Southgate loves him

But be won’t though, as mentioned in my original post there are players who are miles ahead of him currently and what he has ever been. That’s not even taking into consideration Alli, Dier, Henderson or any of the wingers (Sterling, Sancho, Rashford etc).

Also, where do you play him in our side? Not convinced he gets in anywhere, as he hasn’t under the previous 5 managers (other than probably Puel).

He has a place. Its as a wide man on central midfield playmaker. His crossing and dead ball delivery is superb, and he is actually a player that gets his head up to make a pass. He isn't a shining light at anything else, but at those two elements he is very very good. But in previous years we had progressive managers that focused on player movement and a target man up front. Since then we've been static (and no surprise the goals have dried up).

Verses Newcastle we looked so much sharper with him and gabbi both playing... yet these are two players that will hardly get a look in under our current playstyle.

I would be starting JWP and have Gabbi and Ings up front. Every game. And change our style to be more attacking with more players in the final 3rd... Fits the style of all 3 players.

It really is laughable how bad we are at the moment, we are playing so far within ourselves it hurts.

Edited by Saint86

He has a place. Its as a wide man on central midfield playmaker. His crossing and dead ball delivery is superb, and he is actually a player that gets his head up to make a pass. He isn't a shining light at anything else, but at those two elements he is very very good. But in previous years we had progressive managers that focused on player movement and a target man up front. Since then we've been static (and no surprise the goals have dried up).

Verses Newcastle we looked so much sharper with him and gabbi both playing... yet these are two players that will hardly get a look in under our current playstyle.

I would be starting JWP and have Gabbi and Ings up front. Every game. And change our style to be more attacking with more players in the final 3rd... It the style of all 3 players.

It really is laughable how bad we are at the moment, we are playing so far within ourselves it hurts.

Could he do a job as a “regista” in a 433. Picking the ball up from deep, often the CB’s, turn and look for a forward pass?

With Lemina/PEH ahead of him it could work I suppose.

Could he do a job as a “regista” in a 433. Picking the ball up from deep, often the CB’s, turn and look for a forward pass?

With Lemina/PEH ahead of him it could work I suppose.

Nothing else has worked in the past 2 years :lol:

I think our fans want him to be this above average all rounder, getting stuck in, box to box, popping up scoring goals and then back making last minute slide tackles the next.

That will never be JWP, hes a technical player whose role is to feed and support the front men, get balls in the box, and pop up on the D from deep. If we're not going to use him like that then he is going to look very average.

Edited by Saint86

IMO we either start him, or we let him go and further his career elsewhere.

We definitely have a place for him, just not in 442. I'd play a 4-3-3 and have Hojbjerg holding and him and Lemina either side (JWP on on the right so he can cross it in). He has good energy, work rate, great delivery and gets stuck in. He deserves a chance to play, he was progressing quite nicely under Puel.

JWP just isn’t good enough. He is neither quick, nor strong nor tall, nor is he an aggressive ball winner. He looks comfortable in possession and delivers a half decent set piece but that’s about all.

A succession of managers from Adkins onwards have decided, over more than 6 years, that he doesn’t really fit into the team and has been a bit part, in/out sort of player. If he was named Antonio Romano and Cortese had signed him from Chievo, he’d have been gone years ago.

Fabregas shows you don't need to be quick, tall, or a ball winner that contributes defensively if you're good enough in attack. Fabregas was allowed to play that playmaking CM with no defensive duties because he's always been in top teams with players better than the opposition. JWP doesn't have that luxury and a team like ours can't afford a CM to not play both ways.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic