James Ward-Prowse

Roger

He is a nice person, a good professional and has technical ability.

He represents the club very well, especially the image that they rightly want to portray about the type of people the academy develops.

That said, his career has stagnated at Saints, during a period where very few players have shone.

After 6 years he still doesn't have an obvious position and isnt a useful sub to change a game.

A move away, outside of the Southanpton bubble may be exactly what he needs.

He is a nice person, a good professional and has technical ability.

He represents the club very well, especially the image that they rightly want to portray about the type of people the academy develops.

That said, his career has stagnated at Saints, during a period where very few players have shone.

After 6 years he still doesn't have an obvious position and isnt a useful sub to change a game.

A move away, outside of the Southanpton bubble may be exactly what he needs.

Maybe he can go on and have an Andrew Surman-type career somewhere else.

What price would you put on a young English midfielder who can't get a game in today's market?
If we could have got £15m for Targett who IMO is just passable as a lower PL player then I think £25m plus a decent sell on % would represent good value for JWP.

But nobody would pay that because he doesn't impact games.

So probably £18m or thereabouts.

If we could have got £15m for Targett who IMO is just passable as a lower PL player then I think £25m plus a decent sell on % would represent good value for JWP.

But nobody would pay that because he doesn't impact games.

So probably £18m or thereabouts.

Still can't believe Watford got Chalobah for £5m.

Get what you are saying but don't all players have to travel anyway? I love the way you try and make it out he did it from the goodness of his heart though. Not because he was being paid to be there.

Personally I agree with others. He just has not made it and looks even further from the team now. To point out someone isn't good enough doesn't mean on a personal level people dislike him. Wish him all the best for his career and I am sure wherever he goes he will continue to try his heart out. But you can't build a business you expect to do well on the basis of 'nice people'. You need them to have the ability to justify their pay packets. Do you get paid because you are nice but not very good at your job?

I don't have any issues with JWP at all. I have issues with the people who couldn't admit that maybe, just maybe someone from our academy we all had high hopes for just didn't reach that level. Especially in comparison to others who have passed through it.

If we want to improve as a club on the pitch we have to replace many of the players who simply are not good enough. JWP is one of them. The fact our manager would rather have picked a youngster who had never played in the league before over him shows that.

Like I say, top lad, gave his all. Time for someone else to be given the chances he was. That is nothing on him from a personal point of view. Simply based on his ability. If people find others pointing that out offensive than seriously what has the world come to.

No, I'm not trying to make it anything other than what it was - I just know he was there because I saw him get off the bus...! After that it was all assumption - he may be nearer the actual match-day squad (and in Ralphs thoughts), he may be there purely to support the rest of the squad - no biggie. There was no ulterior motive in what I posted.

FWIW I actually agree with the majority (I think) in that he has had a chance to cement a place and has failed to do so. A move to another club maybe just the thing that kick starts his career, sort of reminds me of Surman in many ways.

• 2 weeks later...
Yes contrary to all the Forum Experts the new manager sees something in him as well. I thought he worked hard against City and more like the form he showed under Poch when he had him pressing. I also hope JWP takes the chance and shows what he can do.

Not heard anything from Ralph to suggest he rates JWP. He will likely get more game time with Hoj suspended, after which Ralph will realise he’s a very limited footballer and drop him; just like our last 6 managers.

Not heard anything from Ralph to suggest he rates JWP. He will likely get more game time with Hoj suspended, after which Ralph will realise he’s a very limited footballer and drop him; just like our last 6 managers.

Probably the most likely outcome.

However: I'm hoping he'll grab the chance and turn into a 2019 version of Morgan. Would be great if he did push on for us.

How did JWP do tonight?

Credit where credit is due, good first half, second half thought he was Beckham and should take every set piece and mucked up a goalscoring freekick.

He is playing in his position, he shouldn’t play anywhere else as not effective.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thought he was good, reads the game well and normally tells other players where to put the ball when they look lost when it arrives. Won a fair bit in the middle, set pieces were disappointing tonight. Surely with Vest in the box we should be aiming everything at him but he seems to mark the goalkeeper instead.

• 2 weeks later...

Played a part in two best defensive performances for a long time in Chelsea away and now today. Slattery very complimentary about his role against Derby too, where he was one of the few bright spots, saying he helped him through the game all the way. Deputised brilliantly for Hojbjerg and can definitely do a job in Ralph’s midfield. Great penalty too, and a great corner that Stephens nearly scored from. Also put that chance on a plate for Stephens against Derby last week with a great cross. Pleased for him, i’m a fan anyway.

He's never going to be a complete midfield powerhouse, but he is technically very good, has a good passing game and of course crucially for Ralf pressing game he can run all day and works his socks off.

He will always be a worry at being a bit lightweight against some of the more physical teams but is solid option to have IMO and looks like he could carve himself out a role in the centre-mid.

He's never going to be a complete midfield powerhouse, but he is technically very good, has a good passing game and of course crucially for Ralf pressing game he can run all day and works his socks off.

He will always be a worry at being a bit lightweight against some of the more physical teams but is solid option to have IMO and looks like he could carve himself out a role in the centre-mid.

I thought Romeu had to cover for him most of the afternoon. Covered a lot of ground but not really to the team's advantage in attack or defence. He seems to run beside or close to opposition players but not tackle, harass or intercept. Good penalty and a few good corners. Not a CM/DM in my opinion.

I thought Romeu had to cover for him most of the afternoon. Covered a lot of ground but not really to the team's advantage in attack or defence. He seems to run beside or close to opposition players but not tackle, harass or intercept. Good penalty and a few good corners. Not a CM/DM in my opinion.
If we get in another winger then I can't see how he gets in the team. Midfield will be redmond romeu hojbjerg Armstrong/new signing.

This manager is transforming players.Long, JWP and Romero have all had a couple of seasons of not being their best. they are now back to their better ways and are going to improve more as the team settles down which they never did under the last three managers. Redmond is suddenly reaching his best, but that began before Ralph arrived. And youngsters are getting a chance and that breings hope and energy. Relegation? Forget it. 12th/13th this season 8th/9th next

What he does very well is cutting of passing lanes that force the opposition to the outside our backwards. It does not necessarily lead to tackles and inscriptions but it is very useful.

Is you look at Leicesters build-up play in the first half it was mostly around the outside where they could be contained. JWP played an important role in that.

He had the same amount of interceptions as OR, he has 1 less tackle than OR, he made 3 good chances for us to score ( Which is 3 more than OR and 2 more than every other midfielder / winger / supporting striker on the team.), was one of the players who covered the most ground, got dispossessed 0 times, had no bad touches in the full game, made 5 clearances same as OR, what more do you want?

He had the same amount of interceptions as OR, he has 1 less tackle than OR, he made 3 good chances for us to score ( Which is 3 more than OR and 2 more than every other midfielder / winger / supporting striker on the team.), was one of the players who covered the most ground, got dispossessed 0 times, had no bad touches in the full game, made 5 clearances same as OR, what more do you want?

With respect, what you write is nonsense.

The boss is happy.

Ralph Hasenhüttl praised goalscorers Shane Long and James Ward-Prowse after the 2-1 victory over Leicester City on Saturday.

Both players netted their first goals of the season in the first half at King Power Stadium, with Ward-Prowse netting a penalty before Long doubled Saints’ advantage despite having just been reduced to ten men.

And Hasenhüttl has been pleased with the way both players are developing under his style of play in recent weeks.

Speaking about Long’s performance, he said: “He is quick, he is working hard and if he also scores as a striker then what more do you want – that is all you can ask.

“After his injury he is now making the next steps and he proved it in his performance.”

Ward-Prowse is also fast becoming an integral part of the Hasenhuttl era in midfield in a different role than he has been used in previously.

“He [James] is like the others in the team with fantastic aggression against the ball and a lot of running to close the gaps.

“It is very good to see how much he invested in this performance. I think he has made the next steps in his development because he is a good footballer which we knew but also a good fighter.

"He fights for every ball and he wins it a lot which is very important in my game.”

Source: https://southamptonfc.com/news/2019-01-13/ralph-hasenhuttl-on-ward-prowse-and-shane-long-post-leicester-southampton-premier-league

What he does very well is cutting of passing lanes that force the opposition to the outside our backwards. It does not necessarily lead to tackles and inscriptions but it is very useful.

Is you look at Leicesters build-up play in the first half it was mostly around the outside where they could be contained. JWP played an important role in that.

This, plus the comments from RH in the article, need to be taken in context with an interview linked to around the time RH joined. It described the way he plays and one of the key points was forcing the opposition into mistakes, with very proactive off-the-ball movement, pushing them into areas they don't want to go and can be dealt with easier. You could see it yesterday, not only pushing them outside, but restricting them to hopeful long-range shots on goal and little else.

Players like JWP can play an important part in this, but if you're not watching him in isolation it would be very easy to miss it.

He’s also absolutely always an option for whoever has the ball. Many times in the last couple of years players have had nobody to pass to. There was a moment in particular on Saturday where Stephens had the ball at the back, and JWP was always an option, five yard pass to him, then back and gaps have opened. It happens constantly throughout the match, he never hides.

Thought he did well Sat - and now Hojbjerg has a fight to get back into the side, and you could also argue that Lemina is now surplus to requirements...

An area to keep an eye out for, but great to see JWP stepping up when he's been needed to. Fair play.

Lemina just needs to get fit. No idea what kind of injury he's got. Wonder if it's a hernia of some kind.

Lemina just needs to get fit. No idea what kind of injury he's got. Wonder if it's a hernia of some kind.

Got to be some thing bad to be out nearly 5 weeks now with the same injury, Ralph or the club have not updated any 1 with any information about it either, nothing has been reported since he come off at half time against City in which Ralph did say he was not injured and just took him off as he was not happy with his performance ( Same as West ham )and has not been given any more mins since even though he can be seen training.

think its more likely he has been dropped / Potentially being sold, he isn't very strong defensively and seriously lacks concentration and don't like tough games which is bad for the role he would play which would be in place of OR / Hoj / JWP. cant play a 3421 / 4222 with out good concentration levels, positioning sense, high work rate and fighting spirit like OR, HOJ n JWP ( lately ) its a very important role for the way we play so we cant have any thing less than 100 % every game in these positions.

Great player on his day best central mid on the team ( on his day ), but they are rare games.

think its more likely he has been dropped / Potentially being sold, he isn't very strong defensively and seriously lacks concentration and don't like tough games which is bad for the role he would play which would be in place of OR / Hoj / JWP. cant play a 3421 / 4222 with out good concentration levels, positioning sense, high work rate and fighting spirit like OR, HOJ n JWP ( lately ) its a very important role for the way we play so we cant have any thing less than 100 % every game in these positions.

Pretty much how I see it and I think like Gabbiadini it will be the right decision to let Lemina go. No player is bigger than the team and the way Ralph wants to play is pivotal to our future success. The sum of all parts will always be our greatest asset.

Pretty much how I see it and I think like Gabbiadini it will be the right decision to let Lemina go. No player is bigger than the team and the way Ralph wants to play is pivotal to our future success. The sum of all parts will always be our greatest asset.

I think it might happen in the summer as he's one of our highest-worth assets & going into this summer we won't have any big cash from previous sales in our transfer kitty (which we usually do).

If Ralph gets the best out of Lemina we will have a top player but more likely the new style will be too much for him, he is too casual for high pressing style. JWP may come to his peak, he is a harder worker and more relaible. Either way the midfield is going to be better than it was

The Ramirez effect (Referring to Lemina and Gabbi here). You can see the quality, you desperately want to see them use it to great effect and dominate games but it just never really materializes except for a few flashes here and there. Very frustrating.

Edited by OttawaSaint

[emoji23]

Sent from my SM-T580 using Tapatalk

Bother to watch ploddy for a couple of mins when Saints are defending in their own half. Ploddy zone marks and doesn't seem to ever get near the action. He doesn't mark players.

He just follows where the ball goes and sometimes gets near enough by accident. Just watch him for a bit.

Against Leicester Saints were concentrated deep in their own half, so he was bound to finally get near the ball more often.

Bother to watch ploddy for a couple of mins when Saints are defending in their own half. Ploddy zone marks and doesn't seem to ever get near the action. He doesn't mark players.

He just follows where the ball goes and sometimes gets near enough by accident. Just watch him for a bit.

Against Leicester Saints were concentrated deep in their own half, so he was bound to finally get near the ball more often.

in your opinion, good thing stats don't have any opinion and are in fact a FACT. sprouting rubbish makes u look like a fool.

James Ward-Prowse

24, AMC

5 tackles

1 interception

11 clearances

1 blocked shot

Against Man City.

James Ward-Prowse

24, MC

4 tackles

2 interceptions

2 clearances

1 blocked shots

Against Chelsea

James Ward-Prowse

24, MC

1 tackles

1 interceptions

5 clearances

1 blocked shots

against Leicester

Haters will always be haters. :smug:

BTW, he is also in the top 3 of chances created per min in the team.

Edited this bit for you - he has far less mins than the only person ahead of him. Redmond who has yet to miss a single game this season.

Edited by Mosin

Simple, play players in there positions.

He is garbage when played in the Redmond roll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No one asked your opinion veggy face.

Sorry that was uncalled for, i didn't read your post fully and just expected some lame rubbish dismissing his performances. I applogise. Sorry Cabage face.

But yes playing as a forward, JWP would be bad, but on the right of the midfield he creates just as much as any one else in the team.

Edited by Mosin

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic