James Ward-Prowse

Roger

If we have to sell someone to free up a squad place for a new signing, personally I would rather let Targett go than JWP.

Left back is a position that we are better covered in than midfield and don’t understand why Targett is suddenly seen by many as “must keep” on the strength of a couple of decent passes in a meaningless pre season game.

I think we would also get better value for Targett at this point particularly if Fulham still interested.

I would suggest the opposite

Currently our midfield berth, if taking with a broad brush includes;

Lemina

Hoijberg

Romeu

Davis

Armstrong

Reed

JWP

Where as LB;

Bertrand

Targett

McQueen

I'd suggest Bertrand probably will not be here forever, and likely, given a good season, will justify a move to a bigger club, leaving us short, and thats IF he isn't press ganged into playing in the LCB slot instead of Hoedt. McQueen hasn't really impressed me at LB, so losing Targett for anything other than a deal that we cannot possibly turn down is daft

JWP however, is a conundrum, a good player that has never pushed himself on to command a first team role consistently. 10m is of course too low, however I wouldn't be averse to him leaving. If true I would suggest Watford are just testing the waters, I wouldn't imagine he would go for any less than 15m, and would allow him to potentially progress and us to reinvest the funds where necessary.

Ultimately, I don't want to see him go, but I can arguably see the business sense in it. I would expect a bigger fee however

JWP's detractors point to his relative lack of appearances under a succession of managers in an attempt to prove that he hasn't been rated by any of them, but that isn't the way I see it. He does lack certain abilities; he cannot go past a man because of his pace, and he isn't strong enough to play in central midfield. But that just means he has been used by a succession of managers in a role that does suit his abilities. You could argue that every manager from Pochettino onwards has actually used him quite cleverly. He has mostly been used away from home, against the bigger sides, and when we are trying to hold on to a lead. The reason for this is that his main attributes are his positional discipline, meaning that he helps to hold the team's shape when the opposition are coming at us, his ability to lead the press, meaning that he often wins the ball back in dangerous areas, and also his range of passing, which means that he can set up a quick counter-attack. He is less good, however, when we have lots of possession against a defensive side; in that situation, we have typically used players like Lallana, Tadic, Mane, Redmond and even Boufal.

So yes, we should sell him if we don't intend to be under the cosh away from home, or play against Top 6 teams that will come at us for 90 minutes, or try to hit teams on the break. If we do intend to carry on doing those things, we should keep him. It is a squad game and James Ward-Prowse is an integral part of our squad.

JWP's detractors point to his relative lack of appearances under a succession of managers in an attempt to prove that he hasn't been rated by any of them, but that isn't the way I see it. He does lack certain abilities; he cannot go past a man because of his pace, and he isn't strong enough to play in central midfield. But that just means he has been used by a succession of managers in a role that does suit his abilities. You could argue that every manager from Pochettino onwards has actually used him quite cleverly. He has mostly been used away from home, against the bigger sides, and when we are trying to hold on to a lead. The reason for this is that his main attributes are his positional discipline, meaning that he helps to hold the team's shape when the opposition are coming at us, his ability to lead the press, meaning that he often wins the ball back in dangerous areas, and also his range of passing, which means that he can set up a quick counter-attack. He is less good, however, when we have lots of possession against a defensive side; in that situation, we have typically used players like Lallana, Tadic, Mane, Redmond and even Boufal.

So yes, we should sell him if we don't intend to be under the cosh away from home, or play against Top 6 teams that will come at us for 90 minutes, or try to hit teams on the break. If we do intend to carry on doing those things, we should keep him. It is a squad game and James Ward-Prowse is an integral part of our squad.

Get outta here with your logic and critical thinking. Burn the skate!

Richarlison last year 5 goals, 4 assists in 32 starts (6 sub). Just went for £35 million (if not more like £40 million plus) and is 21.

JWP last year, 3 goals, 3 assists in 20 starts, (10 sub), is only 23.

Different sorts of player maybe but £10 million seems massively too low.

I know JWP has plenty of detractors but I still feel he offers plenty, loads of people seemed massively dissapointed Tadic left despite his contribution of 9 goals and 8 assists in 64 starts in the last two seasons, yet seem willing to let JWP go who has managed 7 goals and 7 assists in 42 starts over the last two seasons. In terms of goals and assists per minutes played he is better off than all our other midfielders I believe.

For a team that has struggled to score, letting go someone who at the very least offers quality set piece delivery, for such a low value would be silly in my eyes.

Can’t see the headteacher’s pet leaving.

Big Leslie possibly gets a bigger cut of transfers when selling our academy players?

We don't have many left to sell and possibly Leslie is running out of time to top up his retirement fund?

Stupid decisions, greedy decisions and financial decisions seem to dominate at SFC these days

Big Leslie possibly gets a bigger cut of transfers when selling our academy players?

We don't have many left to sell and possibly Leslie is running out of time to top up his retirement fund?

Stupid decisions, greedy decisions and financial decisions seem to dominate at SFC these days

He must have his eye on a stannah stairlift or something if he’s prepared to sell low on the club poster boy. What happens when you stop buying and breeding success?

Couldn’t give 2 sh!ts if we sold him, to be honest.

If it was us offering £10m for him and he’d come from Watford’s academy it would cause a melt down on here.

Average player, not good or strong enough for holding CM, not quick enough to play oit wide and doesn’t score enough to play AM. The only position I could see him playing is RB, if I’m honest.

If it was us offering £10m for him and he’d come from Watford’s academy it would cause a melt down on here.

Average player, not good or strong enough for holding CM, not quick enough to play oit wide and doesn’t score enough to play AM. The only position I could see him playing is RB, if I’m honest.

you don't need to be fast to play out wide, plenty of top wide players have been slow, that is just an excuse, United went 10 + years odd David Beckham and g Neville who was both slow wide men yet cause of the understanding they had, they won every thing possible and was probs the best right side pairing at the time, they had the pace and brilliance of giggs on the left and the passing and crossing ability of David Beckham on the right, its up to the manage to drill the team to get the best out of each other, EG get the best out of the players he has available.

i think 10 mill is an insult.

Spot on!

To me, he's replaceable. He's not strong enough or quick enough, doesn't dictate games. The only obvious thing he has is a good set piece / delivery. I think £15m would be good business, get a replacement in and i think we would get over it pretty quickly.

Replaceable but would cost atleast double to replace him, whats the point? We're at the point where a player who has never even played in the premier league, goes for £15/£20m - it would be utterly ridiculous if we managed to sell Tadic & JWP for a combined £20m.

you don't need to be fast to play out wide, plenty of top wide players have been slow, that is just an excuse, United went 10 + years odd David Beckham and g Neville who was both slow wide men yet cause of the understanding they had, they won every thing possible and was probs the best right side pairing at the time, they had the pace and brilliance of giggs on the left and the passing and crossing ability of David Beckham on the right, its up to the manage to drill the team to get the best out of each other, EG get the best out of the players he has available.

i think 10 mill is an insult.

Beckham stopped playing at the top level around 10 years ago. In his later days, he played more centrally.

The game has changed a lot since beckham played in the PL (I.e nearly no one plays 2 CF’s allowing a knock on).

Name one top level wide player who is as slow as JWP? Lallana / Tadic aren’t blessed with pace, but they have quick feet and a lot of creativity to make up for it, JWP doesn’t.

To me, he's replaceable. He's not strong enough or quick enough, doesn't dictate games. The only obvious thing he has is a good set piece / delivery. I think £15m would be good business, get a replacement in and i think we would get over it pretty quickly.

and who you replacing him with for 10 - 15 million then? he is one of are best mids, is more consistent than all of them, and plays for the club not his bank account and is not likely to cause trouble either in the dressing room, he is a leader on the pitch, he does help to control games and he offers some thing different than just trying to beat his man and play threw balls to one of the slowest forwards lines in the league, but he has the best cross in the team and is the most accurate crosser in the team, and his set pieces are by far much much better than any 1 else we have in the team.

If managers cant get the other players in the team to help find JWP time and space, and make runs when he has the ball, then i would put that down to bad management and tactics rather than JWP, cause every time he gets the ball his head is up, but none move forward only backwards, you get no runner from midfield, no wingers cutting in behind the defenders, and when his puts a perfect cross in, no one makes the effort to get on the end of them or just completely screw it up and miss the target or no one else is even in the box they are all out side wanting the ball out side the box so they can try dribble past a box full of defenders...…

Just rewatch the games last season to see how many goals Tadic could have had off JWP last season, i counted 3 chances Tadic wasted watching highlights form last season, at least 4 - 5 from Long, Austin missed two sitters form like 4 yards out, Gabbie too, JWP makes the chances, ppl just don't finish them, and the chances he creates are normal certain goals if the person on the end of it gets it on target.

Replaceable but would cost atleast double to replace him, whats the point? We're at the point where a player who has never even played in the premier league, goes for £15/£20m - it would be utterly ridiculous if we managed to sell Tadic & JWP for a combined £20m.

But he’s clearly not first choice and is an area we arguably need strengthening. What’s the point of keeping him wasting wage/squad place?

and who you replacing him with for 10 - 15 million then? he is one of are best mids, is more consistent than all of them, and plays for the club not his bank account and is not likely to cause trouble either in the dressing room, he is a leader on the pitch, he does help to control games and he offers some thing different than just trying to beat his man and play threw balls to one of the slowest forwards lines in the league, but he has the best cross in the team and is the most accurate crosser in the team, and his set pieces are by far much much better than any 1 else we have in the team.

If managers cant get the other players in the team to help find JWP time and space, and make runs when he has the ball, then i would put that down to bad management and tactics rather than JWP, cause every time he gets the ball his head is up, but none move forward only backwards, you get no runner from midfield, no wingers cutting in behind the defenders, and when his puts a perfect cross in, no one makes the effort to get on the end of them or just completely screw it up and miss the target or no one else is even in the box they are all out side wanting the ball out side the box so they can try dribble past a box full of defenders...…

Just rewatch the games last season to see how many goals Tadic could have had off JWP last season, i counted 3 chances Tadic wasted watching highlights form last season, at least 4 - 5 from Long, Austin missed two sitters form like 4 yards out, Gabbie too, JWP makes the chances, ppl just don't finish them, and the chances he creates are normal certain goals if the person on the end of it gets it on target.

Good post.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

which games were those?

We've had several managers and none of them have him as a starter. £15m can you get you plenty abroad.

For me personally, I just think we can get better. He is a squad player who contributes little and who we have been waiting to 'kick on' ever since he was part of the first team - perhaps it's time to accept this is about as good as he's going to get.

We've had several managers and none of them have him as a starter. £15m can you get you plenty abroad.

For me personally, I just think we can get better. He is a squad player who contributes little and who we have been waiting to 'kick on' ever since he was part of the first team - perhaps it's time to accept this is about as good as he's going to get.

Let's be honest. If he wasn't an academy player then no one would care.

Beckham stopped playing at the top level around 10 years ago. In his later days, he played more centrally.

The game has changed a lot since beckham played in the PL (I.e nearly no one plays 2 CF’s allowing a knock on).

Name one top level wide player who is as slow as JWP? Lallana / Tadic aren’t blessed with pace, but they have quick feet and a lot of creativity to make up for it, JWP doesn’t.

25 years playing football, spent 11 at united as one of the best right sided mids in the world, he played his first full season at madrid playing wide right, drop into midfield cause Real madrid had far more dangerous players who could play out wide and didn't want to remove beckham cause of his passing and free kicks and corners, his vision so made him his own special position just to keep him on the pitch.

Paolo Dybala 22.9kmh

James Ward-Prowse 29.99km/h)

Enough said and Paolo is one of the best forwards on the plant right now......

You did say just one.

25 years playing football, spent 11 at united as one of the best right sided mids in the world, he played his first full season at madrid playing wide right, drop into midfield cause Real madrid had far more dangerous players who could play out wide and didn't want to remove beckham cause of his passing and free kicks and corners, his vision so made him his own special position just to keep him on the pitch.

Paolo Dybala 22.9kmh

James Ward-Prowse 29.99km/h)

Enough said and Paolo is one of the best forwards on the plant right now......

You did say just one.

Dybala is a AM/Second striker. He also has incredible creativity. You’re comparing apples to oranges, mate.

JWP only ability is literally to pass the ball sidewards and takes a decent corner / free kick (which we never score from. You’re backing a dud buddy.

This is one of those useful threads that allows you to easily identify those with a clue, and those without. £10M for any player of his age/experience in this market is a total joke.

What experience? He’s been in and out of every squad he’s been in. Never has he really been first name on the team sheet or held down a starting place.

£10m does sound a bit low, but in reality he’s just not that good. To think we sold Tadic for £15, I think £10 is about right.

Would we need to replace JWP? He doesn't even have a nailed down starting position. Surely the money and squad place could be used in a position where we are short like RB, A better CB or another attacking player. Can't see the point of selling him to buy another CM.

Agree 100%. The only reason to let him go, is because he wants regular football and it's the fair thing to do. He isn't first or second choice in any position he can play, so unless we're selling him and adding £15-20m on top of his sale price to improve the first-11, he doesn't need to be replaced.

If he's happy to stay and get a similar amount of game time as he's had recently, I'd be happy. But if he wants to play every week, he needs to leave.

It's a bit of a shame though, as I'd rather finish in a boring place in the table with a home grown team, than slightly higher with a bunch of bought-in mercenaries.

Dybala is a AM/Second striker. He also has incredible creativity. You’re comparing apples to oranges, mate.

JWP only ability is literally to pass the ball sidewards and takes a decent corner / free kick (which we never score from. You’re backing a dud buddy.

He is a forward and plays out wide for his club, not to mention country as he shares a front 3 role, not watched any juve games i see or Argentina games?, more to football than just the EPL you know, go watch some juve games and see the positions he takes up, he crossing is quite impressive, if JWP had all PD abilitys he wouldn't be playing here would he, but your not finding a replacement on JWP level for less than 20 million considering how much we have payed for other mids in the team and he is better than all of them. yes he has no set role, but out wide last season he was the 2nd most creative player for us and yet played less mins than Redmond and Tadic and only just slightly more than boufal……….

He is a forward and plays out wide for his club, not to mention country as he shares a front 3 role, not watched any juve games i see or Argentina games?, more to football than just the EPL you know, go watch some juve games and see the positions he takes up, he crossing is quite impressive, if JWP had all PD abilitys he wouldn't be playing here would he, but your not finding a replacement on JWP level for less than 20 million considering how much we have payed for other mids in the team and he is better than all of them. yes he has no set role, but out wide last season he was the 2nd most creative player for us and yet played less mins than Redmond and Tadic and only just slightly more than boufal……….

I’ve watched loads of Juve games. Dyabla is a forward, who best position is behind the striker (similar to Grizeman), he can play out wide, but he’s best as second striker.

JWP is not a forward. He’s a CM, who has been pushed out to play on the right because he’s not good enough or creative enough centrally.

If you want him in the squad to put in crosses he’ll be better suited to RB.

As others have said, we don’t need to replace him really as he’s on the bench most weeks. Bank the £10m and put it towards a forward or CB who will play week in week out

JWP seems to have a better reputation with fans from other clubs than with Saints fans. Spoke to few at work today who all thought £10m was a stupidly low price. Few Everton fans said they would snap our hand off if they could sign him for that

For him to go with no re-investment would be pointless. Good solid player in my view.

JWP seems to have a better reputation with fans from other clubs than with Saints fans. Spoke to few at work today who all thought £10m was a stupidly low price. Few Everton fans said they would snap our hand off if they could sign him for that

For him to go with no re-investment would be pointless. Good solid player in my view.

#hipsterschoice

This, but I also think 10m is way too low... I don’t rate him, but in the current climate he’s worth north of 20m

This, but I also think 10m is way too low... I don’t rate him, but in the current climate he’s worth north of 20m

Yep thats where I am at too - if we can use that money to add players we need for the team yes...squad no....10m is way too low.

Besides who else can beat the first man at a corner.....Davis can't, Tadic has gone and couldn't, Bertrand ? but its a long trek over to right wing from left back for the inswinger :-).

If we can get 15-20m the go for it its not a position we are short on. I would rather we lost Davis though as his legs have gone not up to it anymore - shame.

Les will be gutted if he goes..you should hear him at one of his presentations gush after JWP.

Players of a similar ability, who’d be better suited to us than JWP (not suggesting we should sign these btw):

- Chalobah - moved to Watford last year for c.£6m

- Jack Cork - Moved to Burnley last year for c.£9m

- Schneiderlin - probably worth about c.£15m (much better than JWP)

- Harry Winks - no idea on value would guess £10-20m (better than JWP)

- Loftus-Cheek - probably more expensive and would guess £20-£25m, but he’s significantly better than jwp

We signed Armstrong for £7/£8m and he already looks like he’ll offer us more than JWP ever has.

Keeping players like JWP Is how you end up with a squad full of average players like ours.

Edited by SKD

Players of a similar ability, who’d be better suited to us than JWP (not suggesting we should sign these btw):

- Loftus-Cheek - probably more expensive and would guess £20-£25m, but he’s significantly better than jwp

We signed Armstrong for £7/£8m and he already looks like he’ll offer us more than JWP ever has.

Keeping players like JWP Is how you end up with a squad full of average players like ours.

LOL ask Spurs fans what they'd think about letting Winks go for 10-20m. Double it and add a bit and they'd probably consider listening, they think he's the next big English CM.

Only we, in this market, would think £10mil for JWP is fair. We are turning down offers of £15mil for Targett. We accepted £16mil for Chambers about 4 years ago. He's English, he has an England cap, he's 23, he has played over 100 Premier League games, he has captained England youth sides. To counter all the 'if we were signing him from Watford we'd be up in arms' thing - If he was Spanish, with those attributes, we'd all be buzzing that we'd found the next Xavi or something stupid.

He's decent, we are better when he plays, his deadball delivery is superb, you only have to look at Bednarek's goal at home to Chelsea this season. The players getting on the end of the delivery tend to be **** however. And if you don't appreciate his delivery then you clearly haven't been at games when Tadic and Bertrand have been taking corners to nobody.

I personally will be very disappointed if we sell him.

LOL ask Spurs fans what they'd think about letting Winks go for 10-20m. Double it and add a bit and they'd probably consider listening, they think he's the next big English CM.

Only we, in this market, would think £10mil for JWP is fair. We are turning down offers of £15mil for Targett. We accepted £16mil for Chambers about 4 years ago. He's English, he has an England cap, he's 23, he has played over 100 Premier League games, he has captained England youth sides. To counter all the 'if we were signing him from Watford we'd be up in arms' thing - If he was Spanish, with those attributes, we'd all be buzzing that we'd found the next Xavi or something stupid.

He's decent, we are better when he plays, his deadball delivery is superb, you only have to look at Bednarek's goal at home to Chelsea this season. The players getting on the end of the delivery tend to be **** however. And if you don't appreciate his delivery then you clearly haven't been at games when Tadic and Bertrand have been taking corners to nobody.

I personally will be very disappointed if we sell him.

This.

I think the problem is that the qualities and cohesion he brings to the side are subtle things. He doesn't do the spectacular, but he brings others into the game and does provide assists and goals.

Probably too subtle for some.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

For the quality of his crosses from corners we should should score more. Perhaps with our new Centre back we might get our heads to more of his corners. It is frustrating that he plays just tidy football and doesn't attempt the killer pass often if at all.

I don’t think I’ve ever had a conversation or heard anyone in the ground moaning that JWP should be playing more. People around me are always calling for Boufal or Austin etc to come on and change the game, but never JWP. There’s never really many posts arguing that he should play more and I doubt he’s in many peoples starting 11’s. If he’s not starting does anyone actually say “ I can’t believe JWP has been left out”. He hasn’t started regularly under 5 different managers and there’s never really been any interest from other clubs or press speculation regarding interest in him.

That’s either because he’s distinctly average or only a select few posters have the foresight to see how good he is. I know which one I think it is.

LOL

First 3 are not better than JWP, Schneiderlin maybe 3 years ago but he was woeful for Everton last year. Also both him and Cork are in their late 20s and should be at the their peak, whilst at 23 JWP is still years away from the peak age for a midfielder.

Winks would cost £50 million at least and sadly (for England) seems very injury prone.

Loftus-Cheek is a different player completely and he'll still go for £25 million plus. And he has basically one half a season with Palace.

Also if Drinkwater was sold for like £35 million, then there is no way we should sell JWP for £10, I'd take £20 - 25 million if we had something lined up to improve the squad otherwise it's just weakening the squad for no real reason. JWP has plenty to offer, as he has shown.

Edited by tajjuk

Watford must have more money than sense if we are to believe The Sun. The lad has tried and failed so many times here, perhaps it will be better for him to move away from his comfort blanket to take his career any further. The problem is that probably he has already reached his full potential so there's little on offer here for him other than a decent salary and bit parts in future Saints matches.

Unless future PL matches are decided by penalty shoot outs because they only want winners and losers maybe he will fit in but then again chicken have been waiting a very long time to grow teeth so they can have a decent meal.

LOL

First 3 are not better than JWP, Schneiderlin maybe 3 years ago but he was woeful for Everton last year. Also both him and Cork are in their late 20s and should be at the their peak, whilst at 23 JWP is still years away from the peak age for a midfielder.

Winks would cost £50 million at least and sadly (for England) seems very injury prone.

Loftus-Cheek is a different player completely and he'll still go for £25 million plus. And he has basically one half a season with Palace.

Also if Drinkwater was sold for like £35 million, then there is no way we should sell JWP for £10, I'd take £20 - 25 million if we had something lined up to improve the squad otherwise it's just weakening the squad for no real reason. JWP has plenty to offer, as he has shown.

Drinkwater looked top draw in a team that won the PL (all be it because of playing next to Kante), he also moved to Chelsea who generally pay over the odds. What has JWP won other than the best free kick taker with no real end product?

I’m yet to see (other than a decent cross) what JWP has to offer and evidently so have many (some very good) managers.

The problem for ward Prowse at saints is that his best position is right side of an attacking midfield, and that doesn't fit with Hughes's 3-5-2 formation, with a right wing back ..... Unless JWP adapts to RWB himself which doesn't seem to be likely.

so if he wants to play he'll have to go elsewhere, which personally I will find a great shame. He * is*a good player, and what is more he's a lot brighter than most footballers. If we let him go, we'll regret it.

The problem for ward Prowse at saints is that his best position is right side of an attacking midfield, and that doesn't fit with Hughes's 3-5-2 formation, with a right wing back ..... Unless JWP adapts to RWB himself which doesn't seem to be likely.

so if he wants to play he'll have to go elsewhere, which personally I will find a great shame. He * is*a good player, and what is more he's a lot brighter than most footballers. If we let him go, we'll regret it.

Unfortunately fans ask for youth, and when they get in the team from a young age they are discarded in fans mind as no good. Only 23, he still has time to become a very good player.

• Jimmy_D changed the title to Interest in JWP - Signs new 5 year contract
  • Lighthouse changed the title to James Ward-Prowse
  • Lighthouse locked this topic
  • Lighthouse unpinned this topic