Ryan Bertrand Signs 4.5 Year Deal

Imants Bleidelis

Best loan to buy since Guly?

On a serious note this is the best news of the transfer window! Shame no Toby yet but to sell Luke Shaw for £30m and for around a quarter of the price get someone as good (if not a better finished product) goes down as one of a bargains of the century!

even Chelsea have to balance their book in line with FFP. A good deal for a player we've seen enough of for the last 5 months. Maybe this loan idea isn't so bad after all?......perhaps Les said.

" we'll take Ryan permanently now, but for £8.75mill....and the money will be in your bank account by Friday Morning ."

....(OK I'm guessing - but he must have said something that worked, if indeed we did get a reduced transfer fee)

Edited by david in sweden

Rule V.7.3:

if during the period of a Temporary Transfer the Player’s registration is transferred

permanently from the Transferor Club to the Transferee Club, the two Clubs may

agree in writing (to be copied to the League) that the Player shall not play against the

Transferor Club for the remainder of the Season;

Ah ha. Good one.

I guess it was the Temp Transfer > Permanent that is the important bit.

Great, great player. with clyne, genuinely think they are one of the best full back pairs in the county

Certainly the best pair of English full-backs in the country.

You have to wonder why Roy does not make them both first choice for England.

If there's a better right-back in the country than Clyne at the moment, answers on a postcard, please.

And I also think Bertrand is the best leftie at the moment. Baines has gone off the boil in the middle of Everton's crap season, and Shaw has not been the player at United that we saw at Saints

Certainly the best pair of English full-backs in the country.

You have to wonder why Roy does not make them both first choice for England.

If there's a better right-back in the country than Clyne at the moment, answers on a postcard, please.

And I also think Bertrand is the best leftie at the moment. Baines has gone off the boil in the middle of Everton's crap season, and Shaw has not been the player at United that we saw at Saints

......ah! ....me too, but don't forget that " world class" Arsenal full back Kieron Gibbs :lol:

A great bit of business. As others say, we probably have the best left back/right back pairing in the division. If we sign Alderweireld, combined with Fonte it could be argued that overall we have the best defence, although Forster would then be the weakest link for me.

Really solid signing. I wonder how we'd have felt if we payed £9m in the summer? But he has proven himself worthy of the price tag. Could/Should be in the England squad basically.

He's a bit unfortunate that left-back is the one position where England genuinely has quality and strength in depth. Baines, Shaw, Gibbs and even Ashley Cole had he not retired would all be in with a shout of being picked, along with Bertrand.

Great news .

I have an inkling the club did this today because some other club was sniffing around and trying to prize him away from us . Purely a guess

Doubt it, more likely we needed to get some cash in - for Cork - before we could by Ryan under FPP rules. Other clubs have had plenty of opportunities to snap up Ryan over theirs, none did so. We spotted a rock and turned it into a diamond. Tough on all those other tossers who just want the finished article. What a coup; what are you waiting for now Clyney your mate has signed up for most of the rest of his career.

He's a bit unfortunate that left-back is the one position where England genuinely has quality and strength in depth. Baines, Shaw, Gibbs and even Ashley Cole had he not retired would all be in with a shout of being picked, along with Bertrand.

There was a time when English RB's where 10 a penny and we struggled to produce LB's (probably due to many more right footers than left) but that seems to have completely changed.

Or, as Hodgson is manager, John Stones. ;)

Chelsea have a right back as a left back. Now we have a RB as a LB! :-)

Good signing an a permanent, and a surprise too. I really want us to keep this team together, sign a couple of players and be a real force next season, but it'll be tough to keep Morgan, Vic, Clyne and Toby IMO. However it's nice to have our left back spot sorted for years to come.

We will know, come the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge in March, whether Bertrand is allowed to play in that match but slightly disappointed that the club statement on the signing becoming permanent didn't say whether he would now be able to take part or if an agreement had been made that he would not play.

We will know, come the Chelsea game at Stamford Bridge in March, whether Bertrand is allowed to play in that match but slightly disappointed that the club statement on the signing becoming permanent didn't say whether he would now be able to take part or if an agreement had been made that he would not play.

I would have thought third party rules etc, would have meant any agreement to prevent him playing against Chelsea would be against the regulations!

I would have thought that the timing of this deal very much revolves around other players that the club are trying to tie down. The talk of getting Alderweireld to sign permanently and getting Clyne to sign a new contract is high on the agenda at the moment and having another of the younger prominent members of the team sign permanently on a long term contract can only be a positive influence on those 2 and others.