Festivals

GaleLeTissier

We are going to Green Man. Normally go to End Of The Road but it's got too expensive.

I don't like the bigger festivals, been to plenty in my time but not now.

Common People will probably be decent as it has good organisers behind it but the line up is a bit meh so far.

Don't like the Mac? Smirks, I don't like to be mean in the arts forum as it's generally a pleasant corner of this forum, but are you mad?

I'm off to Glasto again this year, would frankly kill for a mac headline set!

Stevie Nicks was a major annoyance in that band. But Christine McVie, on the other hand was ... Perfect. ( ;) )

• 2 weeks later...

Wilderness have Bjork headlining on the Friday and a George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic Saturday night set.

The rest of the line up is toilet but I'm half tempted to go just for them. Went a few years back and it's a well organised festival, if not horribly upper middle class.

Fleetwood Mac are awesome, don't know how some of the comments above get past moderators in all honesty.

Prodigy I have seen twice, IOW in '09 and Glastonbury '09. Have to say I was disappointed, they were alright but not as good as I thought they would. For example at IOW Pendulum played before them and blew them out the water (which I never expected). Seemed that Prodigy just couldn't follow them properly.

Also saw Australian Pink Floyd for the first time there, who are fapping awesome.

Have to say Bestival looks brilliant this year with the Chems playing.

I used to love festivals but the passage of time has meant I'm too set in my physical comfort zone to suffer the privations of third-world facilities. Also the advent of multiple stage festivals means you have to plan your weekend like a military operation and still miss performers you'd have liked to have seen. The one stage festivals meant you and your mates set out your pitch in front of the stage and you were there all weekend. Now it's a bun-fight to get a prime spot every couple of hours.

As for personal dislikes you have to go with it...could experience an Epiphany and actually find yourself a convert.;)

Prodigy I have seen twice, IOW in '09 and Glastonbury '09. Have to say I was disappointed, they were alright but not as good as I thought they would. For example at IOW Pendulum played before them and blew them out the water (which I never expected). Seemed that Prodigy just couldn't follow them properly.

I was also there and I have to agree with you. I'm going to Common People, Glasto and possibly Bestival/ Secret Garden Party this year, I do love a good festival.

Fleetwood Mac are awesome, don't know how some of the comments above get past moderators in all honesty.

Also saw Australian Pink Floyd for the first time there, who are fapping awesome.

Have to say Bestival looks brilliant this year with the Chems playing.

Im just not really a Mac fan and to be honest I think its the weakest IOW line up in a very long time. Genuinely considering selling the ticket, which is a shame as I have a blast every year.

For me T in the park has stolen the show for best festival this year, the line up is incredible, unfortunately getting from here to perth is a bit more of a logistical pain in the ass

Wilderness have Bjork headlining on the Friday and a George Clinton/Parliament/Funkadelic Saturday night set.

The rest of the line up is toilet but I'm half tempted to go just for them. Went a few years back and it's a well organised festival, if not horribly upper middle class.

If you do decide to go let me know. I qualify as 'a local' so get discounted tickets. I'm away this year so you're welcome to have my quota.

I am going to Rockavaria in Munich :smug:festivals are so expensive over here... I don't mind at all because I love them, but doing this trip this year made it blatantly obvious how much we are getting ripped off... 4 nights in Munich including ticket, flight accommodation.... Costs exactly the same as Download for the weekend... Meh!

• 4 weeks later...
I used to love festivals but the passage of time has meant I'm too set in my physical comfort zone to suffer the privations of third-world facilities. Also the advent of multiple stage festivals means you have to plan your weekend like a military operation and still miss performers you'd have liked to have seen. The one stage festivals meant you and your mates set out your pitch in front of the stage and you were there all weekend. Now it's a bun-fight to get a prime spot every couple of hours.

All depends which festivals you go to. Some of the mid-sized ones eschew most of the downsides you've mentioned. Sonisphere (when it's on) even alternates time slots between the main two stages so that you don't have to miss a band on either. A lot of the less mainstream festivals also give you more space to play with in the campsite and proper facilities. Bonus being that they're generally nearer the £100 mark than £200+ and still feature plenty of decent-sized bands.

Currently got Hevy Fest booked in (it's set on the grounds of a historic mansion that has a freaking zoo!) and am contemplating Download. Also went to Takedown Festival at Southampton Uni a couple of weekends ago which was bloody brilliant and a bargain at £40.

Last year did Sonisphere and ArcTanGent in Bristol, which was a very pleasant surprise.

Just avoid Reading/Leeds if you're over the age of 20. Went every year from 2005 to 2010 and by the end I was fed up to the back teeth of the school leavers (very clearly being let off mummy and daddy's leash for the first time). When you get to the last night and people are putting occupied tents onto fires, pulling down telegraph poles and fighting riot police you know it's gone a tad past 'high spirits'...

• 2 months later...