Nickname: The Saints

Founded: 1885

Home Kit: Red & white striped shirt, black shorts, red and white hooped socks

Away Kit: Grey shirt, shorts and socks. All with red and white piping

Rivals: Portsmouth

Minor Rivals: Bournemouth

Affiliations: Eastleigh, Exeter City, Quingdao Zhongneng

Legends: Matthew Le Tissier, Gordan Strachan, Lawrie McMenemy

Icons: Kevin Keegan, Michael Svensson, Glenn Co.ckerill, Mark Dennis, Nick Holmes, Tim Flowers, Wayne Bridge, Dave Jones, Peter Shilton, Kevin Moore, Mick Mills, Rod Wallace, Chris Marsden, Claus Lundekvam, Alan Shearer, Chris Nicholl, Jason Dodd, Francis Benali,Anti Niemi,Mark Wright,Marian Pahars, Jimmy Case

Favoured Personnel: Andrew Surman, Matthew Oakley, Chris Baird, James Beattie, Gareth Bale, Theo Walcott

Disliked Staff: Harry Redknapp, Milan Mandaric

League: English Championship

Media Prediction: 19th

Team Captain: Michael Svensson

Vice Captain: Chris Perry

Finances

Estimated Value: £14.75m

Loan Debt: £19m (£190k/per month untill 2025)

Balance: £2m

Transfer Budget: £0

Remaining Wage Budget: £0 p/w

Stadium and Training

Ground: St. Mary’s, Southampton

Capacity: 32,689

Expansion Capacity: 54,000

Season Ticket Holders: 9,500

Average Ticket Price: £26

Average Season Ticket Price: £470

Training ground: Staplewood

Training Facilities: Top Training Facilities

Youth Facilities: Excellent Youth Facilities + Youth Academy

Staff

Chairman: Rupert Lowe

Director: Michael Wilde

Director: Andrew Cowen

Director: David Jones

Head Coach: Jan Poortvliet

Assistant Manager: Mark Wotte

Coach: Dave Hockaday

Goalkeeper Coach: Macolm Webster

Fitness Coach: Nick Harvey

Youth Coach: Stewart Henderson

Youth Coach: Matthew Crocker

Youth Coach: Terry Moore

Youth Coach: David Puckett

Physio: Mo Gimpel

Physio: Andy Barr

Physio: Chris Lovegrove

Scout: Gavin Tait

Scout: Scott McLachlan

Squad Analysis

Jan Poortvliet's Formation

Goalkeeper

Right Back    Centre Back         Centre Back      Left Back

Central Midfield     Central Midfield

Right Wing           Attacking Midfield            Left Wing

Striker

Poortvliet is a former Dutch international and played for the Netherlands in the 1978 World Cup final against Argentina. He likes to play "total football" in a 4231 formation. High tempo, quick passing football is the name of the game. Utilizing the full width of the pitch with wingers and attacking full backs. The two central midfielders are there to sit in front of the back four and break up attacks and start them for Saints. The front four positions all interchange throughout the game and the emphasis is very much on youth with good pace and movement.

Goalkeepers

Current number one keeper is Kelvin Davis with two young keepers; Polish under 21 international Bartosz Bialkowski and summer purchase from Tottenham Hotspur Tommy Forecast battling it out for the number two spot.

Youngster to watch = Andrej Pernecky

Left Backs

Andrew Surman is the current incumbent of this postion in the Southampton side although naturally a midfield player Jan Poortvliet likes his fullbacks make forward runs and start moves. Rudolph Skacel has also played much of his career in forward positions but is also able to cover at left back.

Youngster to watch = Joseph Mills

image.php?id=765611&type=full

Andrew Surman

Right Backs

Academy graduate Lloyd James has converted from his normal central midfield position to establish himself as the clubs first choice right back. England under 19 captain Jack Cork on loan from Chelsea can also cover for this position.

Youngster to watch = Jamie Hatch

Centre Backs

After nearly four years without regular football due to a very serious knee injury, Michael Svensson has been made club captain. He is a natural leader and his determination to succeed in matches and return to the sport is reflected in his nickname “Killer”. Veteran Chris Perry also adds some much needed experience in a very young squad. Chelsea loanee Jack Cork and Wayne Thomas provide cover.

Youngsters to watch = Oliver Lancashire and Aaran Racine

Central Midfielders

Possible signing of the season was French youth international Morgan Schneiderlin comfortable on the ball he like to sit in front of the defense and break out quickly. His central midfield partner is terrier like Simon Gillett who covers every blade of grass to break down opposition attacks and start his own. Providing cover is experienced former Plymouth Argyle captain Paul Wotton and much derided Anthony Pulis.

b471cb2803578cd7c5ac17aa4039012a.jpg

Morgan Schneiderlin

Left Wingers

Summer free transfer signing Lee Holmes has started to reinvigorate his career which had stalled at Derby County and has claimed the left wing role. Experieced Rudolph Skacel and Andrew Surman can also play in this role but are needed in the left back slot.

Youngster to watch = Jamie White

Right Wingers

There is a lot of competition for this place in the Saints team. Nathan Dyer and his explosive speed can be a very useful asset. Strikers Bradley Wright-Phillips and David McGoldrick can also be used in this role and interchange with the other attacking positions.

Youngster to watch = Jake Thomson

JakeThompson_L.jpg

Jake Thomson

Attacking Midfielders

Adam Lallana broke into the first team and the end of last season and has since made the position just off the striker his own. A naturally gifted player he has excellent technique both in distributing the ball and running at defenders. Romain Gasmi on loan from RC Strasborg was once dubbed “the next Zidane” by coach Jean Pierre-Papin and is there to provide competition for this position. David McGoldrick can also cover for this position if needed.

Strikers

Last seasons top scorer Stern John would be the obvious choice for the strikers role. However academy graduate David McGoldrick or loanee from Tottenham Thomas Pekhart may suit the style better. Bradley Wright-Phillips is also a possibility for a starting role in this postion.

Youngster to watch = Matthew Paterson

My tips for success with Southampton

• Give Poortvliet's 4231 formation a try. The players in the squad suit it.
  • Due to lack of finance make good use of the young players already at the club from the strong youth academy.
  • Try to loan quality young players from the Premiership in problem positions such as the full back area.
  • Make a 2/3 year plan for a promotion push, it will be hard to do in the first year.

Only just got it yesterday.

Got into the top 6 at the start of November beating Shef Utd and Palarse 4-0 and 5-0.

Now lost 3 in a row and slipped to 11th.

Only 1 player out, Skacel to Palace for £1.7m.

Got Chopra on loan, but he was pants and then got injured so I sent him back. Ditto with Craig Beattie.

Signed Fabio on loan, and picked Gerard up on a free.

Playing a 4-1-3-2/4-1-2-1-2

Back 4 of Fabio Lanc Killer Cork

Schneiderlin in DM

Surman LM Lallana CM/AM Dyer RM

Rotating BWP, John, Pekhart and DMG upfront.

Cork is the best player in the league with a rating of 7.35

Dyer and Surman lead the league in assists with 8 each

BWP and Stern John both on 8 goals. Lallana and MS on 4 each.

Played 20 W9 D1 L10.

Just started a new game since I had to reformat my machine, hoping it will run a bit better now.

Going to go with Southampton again and try to build a team around the youngsters with a few old heads in for experience. Glad to see some of you have gained promotion in season one, gives me some hope.

I think i've done a bit too much wheeling and dealing, my team is having trouble gelling atm.

I've bought in Chopa, Daryl Murphy, Zeefuik, Sanmaertan, Insua, Lequi, Martis, Ljundberg, Jourdren and Binya. To finance them all I had to sell John, Euell, Forecast, Bialkowski, BWP, Dyer, Thomas and Skacel.

Playing a pretty simple 4-4-2 at the moment:

McGoldrick/Chopra Zeefuik/Murphy

Holmes/Ljundberg Surman/Lallana Schneiderlin/Binya Sanmaetean/Thomson

Insua/Surman Martis/Lancashire Lequi/Svensson Cork/James

Davis/Jourdren

Bold are the starting XI.

Still way too many injuries for me, Lallana been out for 5 months, Borges for 2 months, Binya for 2 months, all in the same game!

Sold everybody except Morgan and Lallana now, Ian walker on loan in goal, wegh at rb is very solid, and loads of Dutch second division players for my 4-1-1-3-1 formation but I concede too many

Anybody help with a goalkeeper and sum defenders for next season in Championship?

Im having a sh!tter at the moment. Drew with Swansea. Lost 2-1 to Birmingham and Coventry. Seem to always go one up and then concede.

Im playing 4 2 3 1 formation. Its gash that Saints wont allow any more than 6 coaches. I released all mine and replaced them but the last ones were fitness coaches and as they were signing they were cancelled as Im only allowed 6 coaches. Have no fitness coaches now.

ive had a mixed start to my first season, played 10 won 5 drew 1 lost 4 (was at one point played 5 won 4 drew 1 lost 0 top of the leauge!)

only signed dan smith on a free, not a bad lb. and binya who has been a revolation since spiderman broke his leg! blast my luck.

i see to be getting injuries everygame, at one point i had 12 players first team and reserves on the treatment table!

anything i can do to prevent this or is it just bad luck?

ive had a mixed start to my first season, played 10 won 5 drew 1 lost 4 (was at one point played 5 won 4 drew 1 lost 0 top of the leauge!)

only signed dan smith on a free, not a bad lb. and binya who has been a revolation since spiderman broke his leg! blast my luck.

i see to be getting injuries everygame, at one point i had 12 players first team and reserves on the treatment table!

anything i can do to prevent this or is it just bad luck?

Have you patched it, mate? Apparently there is an injury glitch that you need get's sorted by patching the game.

your PC may not be powerful enough.

I am in the process of building a quality team, lallana and schneiderlin worth over £5,000,000. took two years to get promoted, and am now in jan in my first prem season getting beaten nearly every game and bottom of the table, but have some quality youngsters. Some of the regens i have 'poached' are unbelieveable. picked one up at teh end of the first season. 16 year old CB, went straight into the team and is now a good signing for aby prem side at teh age of 18.

now, the ultimate capture. Henry Saivet on an end of contract, will be paying him £16,000 a week, but will be worth it.

right can anyone lend a hand i have worked my way to January 09 with Pisa in the Serie B but the game keeps crashing and i cant get past January didnt happen with my other two saints files just this one. Error message just says 'Game encountered a serious error and needs to close' then links me to a file called 'crash dumps' where it shows i presume the 3 previous crashes? i cant open them as i dont know what program to use. any ideas?

• 2 weeks later...

Finished my second Prem season(4th overall) in 7th and made Uefa cup after a run of about 10 wins in a row near the end of the season, beating Man utd and Arsenal 2-0 and 2-2 with Liverpool. Now have 17mil to spend. Rupert sold Morgan to Chelsea for a total fee of 23.5mil but only 4.1 up front!

My team at end of the season

Parmentier(regen)

Miguel Leo Bikey Forster

--------Binya---------

Pfeffer(regen)---------Muller(regen)

------ Coutinho ------

---- Saivet Lewandowski ----

I have just finished my first championship season and came second behind Reading.

I sold BWP, Thomas, got rid of Pekhart and brought in Sander Westerveld (Free), Ricardo Rocha on Loan, Chopra on Loan and also got Seyfo Soley and Sanmartaen on a Free.

Generally played 4-1-3-2

Starting line up

Westerveld

Rocha/James--------Lancashire------------Perry----------------Surman/Mills

Schneiderlin(Gillett)

Dyer/Thomson---------Lallana/McGoldrick--------------Gasmi/Skacel

---------------John/Saganowski (after Jan)------------------------Chopra/White

Subs Gillett,Davis, Svensson, Wotton, Soley.

Got 2.5 m to spend in the prem for 09/10 season. not sure how well i will do as a lot of my players have left.

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Westerveld he was legendary for me and was runner up in signing of the season. Also Scheiderlin was very good DM he also been touted as the next Michel Platini ha ha ha

I have just finished my first championship season and came second behind Reading.

I sold BWP, Thomas, got rid of Pekhart and brought in Sander Westerveld (Free), Ricardo Rocha on Loan, Chopra on Loan and also got Seyfo Soley and Sanmartaen on a Free.

Generally played 4-1-3-2

Starting line up

Westerveld

Schneiderlin(Gillett)

Got 2.5 m to spend in the prem for 09/10 season. not sure how well i will do as a lot of my players have left.

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Westerveld he was legendary for me and was runner up in signing of the season. Also Schneiderlin was very good DM he also been touted as the next Michel Platini ha ha ha

Generally played 4-1-3-2

Starting line up

Westerveld

Schneiderlin(Gillett)

Cant believe nobody has mentioned Westerveld he was legendary for me and was runner up in signing of the season. Also Schneiderlin was very good DM he also been touted as the next Michel Platini ha ha hahttp://www.saintsweb.co.uk/forum/images/icons/icon6.gif

Best players for the season were Surman Schneiderlin Lallana McGoldrick and Chopra. I scored 104 conceded 69 so it was definitely a Kevin Keegan Esque season

Hey, I've been using the tactics shown in this thread, and doing rather crap at the moment. 11 games played, 5 drawn and 6 lost with 0 wins.

Does anyone have any ideas for players to buy? Cheaper the better (Well free tbh) as I'm currently 23rd with 5 points.

Cheers.

ugur yildirim, lucien sanmartean, sefo soley, stephen carr, insua(loan), Daryl murphy(loan), Beevers 1.5 mill, lambo, vesterveld, there are loads of good players out there, just look around you lazy fu(k

Wow, great way to great a new member eh?

Thanks for the list though ;)

Got this for christmas and just started a season with saints. Currently played 2 and won 2. Beat Palace at home 1-0 and Charlton away 1-0.

Couldn't find that Sanmaertan bloke anywhere, when i searched it was only giving me a spanish player called Josemi or something. Anyway... I have signed,

Insua,

Rodrigo possebon(Utd)

Thomas Graveson on a free

Lewis Buxton from Stoke at CB

Randall and Merida from Arsenal

Koki Mizuno from Celtic

Heidar Helguson and David Connolly (Both currently injured)

and John Otsemobor

Playing a 4-3-1-2 Formation at the moment and seems to be working quite well, only lost 1 of my five or so friendlies and unbeaten in the league.

------------------------------K. Davis------------------------------

J.Otsemobor-------L.Buxton-------------J.Cork--------------J.Mills

----------------Possebon----Graveson-------Randall--------------

-------------------------------Merida-------------------------------

----------------------S.John------------D.Mcgoldrick------------

Anyone got any tips?

I shall say it again, Chopra on Loan

Was a great player to sign. Already making a different. Fabio is also making a great difference, scored a couple of goals when needed.

Got a few others on loan as well:

Lewis Buxton

Glauber (Not had a chance to play him yet)

Possebon

I'll add more about them in a bit.

Was a great player to sign. Already making a different. Fabio is also making a great difference, scored a couple of goals when needed.

Got a few others on loan as well:

Lewis Buxton

Glauber (Not had a chance to play him yet)

Possebon

I'll add more about them in a bit.

How is everyone getting chopra and fabio, i cant get them at all.

Lewis Buxton and possebon have been great.

Played three games in the league and kept three clean sheets, winning two 1-0 and one 0-0.

The stream thing is doing my head in and keeps causing my PC to crash. Anyway I can play the game without having to go through this sh1tty application?

The whole thing clams up from time to time after I use the Shift + Tab to get rid of the annoying icon in the bottom right.

Please don't tell me to re-install as I'm doing quite well with Saints and can't be fooked to start all over again.

• 3 weeks later...

Caved in and started this at the wkd. Was really struggling with Saints, but a 2-0 win over Reading saw me win 6 in a row and I'm now in the play-offs, coming up to the end of December. Tried for Chopra / Cole on loan, but the clubs aren't having any of it. Lewandoski won't join me either, regardless of wages.

I picked up Matej Rapnik from Hearts for around 100k, he's quality. 18 yr old Slovenian left back. Koki Mizuno from Celtic (20k!) is also doing the business. DMG is doing okay up top, but I could do with a decent front man. Do I have to sell Saganowski if they take up the option to buy?

just started a game with saints and in my firs 8 games have won 6 and drawn 2...

-------------------kelvin

cork------rapnik(sp)----killer----surman

-----binya----morgan-----mule

-----stern----yildirim----obnik(sp)

medium mentality, low creative freedom..

few click right of middle on the wide selection

quick mentality (not full)

direct play (not full)

tight marking

counter attack

deep defensive line (not full)

attacking formation with morgan (forward runs medium) holding..work well with any team...the letf and right strikers tend to get wide with running with the ball alot which frees up space in the middle for euell, binya(forward runs often) and wildirim....if the full backs get forward (forward runs medium) then the wide forwards tuck in..

like I said..works on any team

the 3 strikers have closing down - all pitch