New domestic TV deal announced today, 5pm

stevegrant

Man Utd and Chelsea have to play someone in the league, the teams they play deserve to be paid. What have Pompey for example done to deserve the Premier League TV money to be handed to them when they are in League 2?
But by your logic, you think it would be fair if all teams negotiated their own tv deals?

Man Utd and Chelsea have to play someone in the league, the teams they play deserve to be paid. What have Pompey for example done to deserve the Premier League TV money to be handed to them when they are in League 2?

More people will be watching because Manchester United are playing than because Southampton/Sunderland/Burnley etc are playing. Why should their be an equal split when people are only tuning in to watch one team?

But by your logic, you think it would be fair if all teams negotiated their own tv deals?

No, I think all the money should be divided up solely among the 20 Premier League teams with no parachute payments of solidarity payments to the Championship, League One or League Two. The amount of money you get should be as it is now partly based on how many game you are live on TV but mainly on league position at the end of the season.

That is an irrelevant question, they are in it and they have to play someone. Teams in the 4th tier are completely irrelevant to the Premier League deal, teams like Saints aren't.

Have you factored relegations & promotions into that calculation MLG?

More people will be watching because Manchester United are playing than because Southampton/Sunderland/Burnley etc are playing. Why should their be an equal split when people are only tuning in to watch one team?

An equal split allows the league to be more competitive, which makes it more attractive to viewers, and allows the next round to be priced even higher.

Mental.

The winners are,in no particular order......

The footballers

The agents.......

The clubs.....

Expensive car dealerships.....Maserati,Bentley and alike.

Michelin starred restaurants.....

I think that's about it.

The losers......where do we start....

Oh yeah,the fans is a good start....

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Other notable winners include:

Spray tan shops in areas such as Cheshire, North London and Manchester

Plastic surgeons in areas such as Cheshire, North London and Manchester

Pointlessly overpriced clothing shops in areas such as Cheshire, North London and Manchester

Nail bars in.......well you get the drift. Footballers wives are the main winners here!

Have you factored relegations & promotions into that calculation MLG?

Factored what in? A team in the 4th tier in 2017/18 season has no impact what-so-ever on the value of "product" the Premier League is selling to TV companies. So why should they benefit financially from other companies doing well?

Edited by Matthew Le God

Factored what in? A team in the 4th tier in 2017/18 season has no impact on the value of "product" the Premier League is selling to TV companies.

I was thinking bout lower league teams joining the Premier League with stadiums, facilities + players that ain't up to scratch, MLG. I think that is not Ideal :thumbup:

All this Income makes selling Schneiderlin for £20m or whatever less tempting. Reckon the big bros are gonna find it increasingly difficult to poach players off other prem clubs, hopefully, or at least, they'll find it's Not Worth It :thumbup:

Actually a very good point!

In the interest of fairness, couldn't the Premier League share the pot amongst all 72 teams outside the top flight but only giving pompey 10% of the figure they should get. Than they could agree to only give them 7% of the 10% figure and so on and so forth.

Just thinking out loud here but what if every game was broadcast live, pay per view on a game by game basis. Supposing it was £20 per game and the clubs involved got £15 of that, split 50/50. I think it has some advantages, like making football a lot more accessible to long distance and elderly fans.

I think it would also allow some clubs to build new grounds with lower capacity but better atmosphere. Obviously building smaller stadiums is cheaper but the clubs wouldn't lose out on lost income if games were still on TV. Might help lower league clubs to compete a but better.

Edited by Lighthouse

Factored what in? A team in the 4th tier in 2017/18 season has no impact what-so-ever on the value of "product" the Premier League is selling to TV companies. So why should they benefit financially from other companies doing well?

what if that team in league 1 is regarded the 'best side in the country outside of the TOP 4'...?

Just thinking out loud here but what if every game was broadcast live, pay per view on a game by game basis. Supposing it was £20 per game and the clubs involved got £15 of that, split 50/50. I think it has some advantages, like making football a lot more accessible to long distance and elderly fans.

I think it would also allow some clubs to build new grounds with lower capacity but better atmosphere. Obviously building smaller stadiums is cheaper but the clubs wouldn't lose out on lost income if games were still on TV. Might help lower league clubs to compete a but better.

I've always thought that. I also think it should be more expensive, or as expensive, to watch on TV than watching in Stadium. I suggested it one time but stevegrant pointed out that they tried it in Italy and it all Went Wrong, and slapped me down like Child :thumbup:

Who is this "wise man"? What are you talking about?

I have been trying so hard to find out! I found this quote from "Thedelldays" in 2011, he is ban now tho :(

quite right...

just think, he would be playing in front of 45k fans every home game when he signs.....we are the best club outside of the top 4

COYRs

Yep, already decided this will be the last year I pay for Sky Sports as well. Also will be downgrading Virgin Media anyway to the base package as it's all just stupid money for stuff we never watch. Saving £50+ a month is more money for other things ... like football days out.

Yep, same as my thinking when ditching SS last year and opting for more visits to St Mary's plus the occasional £6.99 for a live game on Now TV. Ace combination IMO.

That is an irrelevant question, they are in it and they have to play someone. Teams in the 4th tier are completely irrelevant to the Premier League deal, teams like Saints aren't.

Its teams in the 4th tier that need the support far more than the Prem clubs where average players earn far more than they can ever spend. Its teams in the 4th tier that are really struggling...teams have disappeared who I used to watch at The Dell years ago. If we had not been lucky enough to get a decent owner we could have been 4th tier.

Your arrogance and ignorance are again shining on this thread! View was right!!

This story doesn't really directy impact me that much because, unlike so many of you lot, I just don't pay for TV - the licence fee excepted - and never will. How can you possibly cope Charlie without a relentless diet of expensive football on the gogglebox virtually every day I hear you ask?

Well the answer is 'remarkably easily' because a long time ago I figured out that while I'm certainly a keen Southampton fan, I live and die this wonderful old club, I'm not really an avid follower of football in general. I'll happily watch Premier League highlights on MOTD, I might even steal a Saints game off the Internet every now and then (if some kind soul on here will find a working link for me) but if not Dave Merrington and BBC Radio Solent will do. But as for Chelsea v Man City etc I could hardly care less to be frank about it - I'd rather watch a DVD or even a old Star Trek episode - on Freeview of course!

So if you don't want to pay a ever increasing sum every month to Rupert bloody Murdoch for your TV footy fix then don't - you never know you might soon find that you don't even miss it.

With 3 successive promotions they could. That's the point of the football pyramid.

Why is it such a great thing that the richest clubs get richer while the poorest watch the promised land of the Premier League slip further away? Richard Scudamore is already excitedly trumpeting the notion that Burnley are economically bigger than Ajax.

http://www.lancashiretelegraph.co.uk/sport/football/11784128.Burnley__bigger_economically_than_Ajax___says_Premier_League_chief/?ref=rss

Its teams in the 4th tier that need the support far more than the Prem clubs where average players earn far more than they can ever spend. Its teams in the 4th tier that are really struggling...teams have disappeared who I used to watch at The Dell years ago. If we had not been lucky enough to get a decent owner we could have been 4th tier.

Your arrogance and ignorance are again shining on this thread! View was right!!

Why should the Premier League prop up the finances of other businesses? If 4th tier clubs lived within their means then they wouldn't be struggling. Handouts artificially boost their revenue, it doesn't solve the causes of why they are struggling financially.

A high proportion of the money should go straight to championship clubs and below, right the way to local clubs with a decent youth structure. Then the prem clubs should be obligated to drop ticket prices and increase capacity, e.g. SMS becomes a 45k stadium with tickets at £20 - filled every week, better atmosphere, sky happy, fans happy. A proportion could also go into the local communities, esp as most clubs are in the armpits of their respective city's or towns. How much more money to the footballers need........oh ok, maybe not.

Maybe also a couple of million to pay off michael owen and get him off the mic!

Why should the Premier League prop up the finances of other businesses? If 4th tier clubs lived within their means then they wouldn't be struggling. Handouts artificially boost their revenue, it doesn't solve the causes of why they are struggling financially.

Aren't a lot of their financial problems coming mainly from the ever growing monster which is the Premier League???

Personally I think the wealth should be spread so we have a much more even playing field. I know this means we might have to accept pompey getting a share but we know they will just waste it all on brown envolopes from their new superstore so don't panic too much.

We didn't "live within our means" in the lower divisions, we were bankrolled by "handouts" from a billionaire.

A high proportion of the money should go straight to championship clubs and below, right the way to local clubs with a decent youth structure. Then the prem clubs should be obligated to drop ticket prices and increase capacity, e.g. SMS becomes a 45k stadium with tickets at £20 - filled every week, better atmosphere, sky happy, fans happy. A proportion could also go into the local communities, esp as most clubs are in the armpits of their respective city's or towns. How much more money to the footballers need........oh ok, maybe not.

Maybe also a couple of million to pay off michael owen and get him off the mic!

That's infeasible, you cant obligate a club to build bigger stadiums. It just wouldn't work, you are basically telling clubs they have to fork out tens of millions on stadium expansion which won't actually bring them extra income.

As MLG pointed out, it's not fair to ask any business to subsidise it's rivals. It would be like telling Apple that Nokia are losing money because they build inferior products, so they have to hand over a load of cash to help them compete.

Are you being serious...honestly???

Teams like Eastleigh etc don't deserve a hand up? Teams like Dagenham&Redbridge who despite being surrounded by richer clubs battled up to the FL

with minimal resources?

Teams are struggling financially because they are all chasing the glory ...they have very little option if they want to survive have to build better stadiums and get in debt to try and get numbers through gates. Something you think we should do that could see us back down if Liebherrs sell out to a Pompey arab!

Many lower clubs don't have mega rich chairmen like the Prem clubs....you are obviously a little boy as you don't remember Chelsea/Man City before their windfall Chelsea at times didnt have a pot to **** in.

You would soon change your story if there was a super league and the rich top 4 ****ed off to that and we lost a lot of revenue.

No it isn't. You're saying why should clubs in lower divisions get handouts, in that case why should saints benefit from people wanting to watch Man United?

I believe MLG used to claim we were probably the best club outside of the top 4

Well, whoever it was, they was v.prescient :thumbup: It's like when in Championship one bro was trying to put us in the same bracket as Everton and everyone was like, lol, and now... who is lolling now? It is the bro of the first part lolling in the collective faces of all the bros of the second part!

I believe MLG used to claim we were probably the best club outside of the top 4

Indeed he did. He once claimed we were the most attractive team for a player outside of the top 4 and that we should just pay a player what he wanted as we could afford it. Now he's preaching about clubs in lower league living within their means and not getting hand outs. You couldn't make it up.

Cheers 19C. Still on the meds and stalking Tiss?

Yes to both.

Now will you stop calling adolscents c***s on the internet just because you disagree with them?

Poor form, especially for a teacher. I'm sure you don't call your pupils those sort of vile words to their faces, but then again, it is easy to hide behind internet monikers.

Kind Regards,

Your f*****g Oppo

You think when we were in League 1 that I said Saints were the "best side in the country outside of the top 4"? Utter bull****! I said no such thing.

To be fair you actually said we were the most attractive team for a player outside of the top 4. This doesnt = best team.

That's infeasible, you cant obligate a club to build bigger stadiums. It just wouldn't work, you are basically telling clubs they have to fork out tens of millions on stadium expansion which won't actually bring them extra income.

As MLG pointed out, it's not fair to ask any business to subsidise it's rivals. It would be like telling Apple that Nokia are losing money because they build inferior products, so they have to hand over a load of cash to help them compete.

TBF they are not subsidising their rivals though are they - without the lower leagues their wouldnt be room for young players to learn trade and progress onto bigger clubs. There is too much money going into Prem agents/players wages that should be funnelled down to those leagues to ensure there is a structure.

Are you being serious...honestly???

Teams like Eastleigh etc don't deserve a hand up? Teams like Dagenham&Redbridge who despite being surrounded by richer clubs battled up to the FL

with minimal resources?

Teams are struggling financially because they are all chasing the glory ...they have very little option if they want to survive have to build better stadiums and get in debt to try and get numbers through gates. Something you think we should do that could see us back down if Liebherrs sell out to a Pompey arab!

Many lower clubs don't have mega rich chairmen like the Prem clubs....you are obviously a little boy as you don't remember Chelsea/Man City before their windfall Chelsea at times didnt have a pot to **** in.

You would soon change your story if there was a super league and the rich top 4 ****ed off to that and we lost a lot of revenue.

Do you think Tesco should subsidise family run corner shops?