Mayuka

CHAPEL END CHARLIE

The headlines make it seem more important than it is in reality to the club. The main concern seems to be the money we've laid out for him with (apparantly) zero return.

(Sadly)..Emmanuel has never been a first choice player - under any manager. He must have had some degree of talent in the beginning, but it hasn't come to the fore at SMS.

He may well be in that group of players who aren't played in their best position, or aren't available when they have the chance to play, and so we are not as "dependant " on him as we are for some others.

We can only hope his op. will be successful, and that we might still see some benefit in the remaining time of his VERY long contract.

Overall Mayuka will have cost us well under ten million pounds so he is not anywhere near the worst deal ever.

When you add that the money wasted on Ramirez, Osvaldo, Forren & Gazzaniga makes you realise how lucky we are to now be run by people who leave football people to buy players rather than doing it themselves.

When you add that the money wasted on Ramirez, Osvaldo, Forren & Gazzaniga makes you realise how lucky we are to now be run by people who leave football people to buy players rather than doing it themselves.

True, although I think that in terms of money wasted, Osvaldo dwarves everything else combined by a wide margin since Ramirez was not a complete waste and the others were much less expensive.

As best I can figure it out, these are the transfer fees plus salary (in millions of pounds) for entire length of the contract for all our incoming Premier League transfers:

Player - Fee-Total salary - Total - Fee Received - Net Profit

Bertrand - 11.7 -7.3 - 19.0

Clyne - 2.8 -5.6 - 8.5

Davis, S. - 0.9 -7.1 - 8.0

Forren - 3.1 - 0.9 - 4.0 - 1.8 - minus 2.2

Forster - 11.0 - 8.3 - 19.3

Gardos - 6.0 - 6.2 - 12.2

Gazzaniga - 2.8 - 2.9 - 5.7

Long - 13.1 - 10.4 - 23.5

Lovren - 8.8 - 2.1 - 10.9 - 22.3 - 11.4

Mane - 13.2 - 9.4 -22.6

Mayuka - 3.5 - 6.0 - 9.5

Pelle -8.8 - 5.8 - 14.6

Ramirez - 13.4 - 11.4 -24.8

Rodriguez - 7.6 - 5.8 - 13.4

Osvaldo - 13.3 - 11.2 - 24.5

Tadic - 12.3 - 8.7 -21.0

Wanyama -12.8 - 7.1 - 19.9

Yoshida - 2.5 - 4.7 - 7.2

These number only include the original contract. Forren's salary was only for six months. Lovren's is for a year.

My sources are transfermarkt for the transfer fees and Football Manager for the salaries. I assumed we are paying Bertrand the same salary he made at Chelsea--this is pure speculation on my part.

http://www.transfermarkt.co.uk/fc-southampton/alletransfers/verein/180

Edit: the formatting disappeared. I will try to fix this. This is the best I can do and I have to go to bed.

Edited by Redslo

My (not always totally reliable) memory tells me that when players get injured while playing for England the FA then pays their wages while they are out of action. If that principle is indeed correct, does this mean we are about to bankrupt the poor old Zambian FA to pay Mayuka?

I found this

Will a domestic club be provided with any compensation when this occurs?

Following agreements between FIFA, UEFA and the European Clubs Association (ECA) when players playing for clubs are injured on international duty during major tournaments then the national governing body will be required to compensate the club which the player plays for.

Does this only apply to injuries in national tournaments?

The limitations on this rule are that it only applies to injuries suffered in the final stages of an international football tournament and not the qualifying stages. Therefore if a player playing for England is injured during the World Cup the Football Association will have to compensate the domestic club but would not have to if the match was part of the qualifying stages of the World Cup.

Here is the link: http://www.inbrief.co.uk/football-law/international-game-injuries.htm

I have not checked his work with my own research and the amount of the compensation is not clarified.