Hampshire CCC - 2015 Season

Halo Stickman

Only if we had got maximum points. Which we didn't.

200 to win. C'MON!!!!

Maximum points doesn't enter into the equation, when we win this game we will be on 163 points, Sussex only need to draw, if we had the 7 extra points against Yorks then they'd need to win and would be under some pressure. Somerset are looking none too bright either. Desperate roll of the dice which didn't go our way unfortunately.

Anyway we seem to be looking to wrap it up quickly if possible, only way to get Sussex quaking a bit I suppose.

Edited by Window Cleaner

Worth noting the outstanding contributions of our new bowling recruits this summer:

Fidel Edwards, 45 wickets in 8 CC games - if he'd been fit and available for every game and kept that record up, he'd finish the season with 90 wickets, which would have been comfortably the best in the country, and we almost certainly wouldn't be in a final-day shootout to stay up.

Gareth Berg, 42 wickets in 16 games, plus 5 fifties with the bat - 672 runs in total.

Some weird performances with the bat this year, Carberry has scored 1000 runs without a single century (9 fifties), and what's particularly noticeable among the whole squad is the high strike rate, which suggests that perhaps our one-day game has influenced the longer form a bit too much in relation to the standard we're up against - it's alright to go at that pace against Division Two attacks, but against the much better top-flight bowlers, it doesn't work so well. Of the 12 players whose overall batting records are decent enough to be classed as a batsman (or all-rounder), only 4 had strike rates below 50 this year - surprisingly, one of those is Carberry!

What a terrific day that was. Should be a doddle to get home from here. Hopefully yorks declare or lose their final wicket early so they can have pretty much a full day to bowl Sussex out. Hopefully Sussex will get very edgy knowing we are pretty much home and dry in our game.

Special mention to Gareth Berg who has been absolutely fantastic all season in the 4 day game and surely must be a shoe in for player of the season. Edwards has also been awesome in the time he's been here. Both in the twilight of their careers but putting 100% commitment into the cause which is great to see. Dawson has also been brilliant since he returned from

Essex.

If we escape tomorrow it would surely rank as one of the most outrageous escapes of recent times, given both the points deficit at the start of the match, and the position we found ourselves in halfway through our first innings and also halfway through their 2nd innings.

I would actually argue that it isn't the Yorkshire game that may send us down...but the fact we played like bell-ends for the first half of the season.

As I said n an earlier post, the first half of the season made the desperate gamble against Yorkshire necessary.

If we'd had another 5 points on the board at that time then I doubt that we'd have even considered offering them 96 overs to make just above 300.

As I said n an earlier post, the first half of the season made the desperate gamble against Yorkshire necessary.

If we'd had another 5 points on the board at that time then I doubt that we'd have even considered offering them 96 overs to make just above 300.

I dunno statistically very few teams chase 300 with success in a four day game, I think it was a pretty good decision..we just stuffed it up!. The Somerset first innings was a shambles. I wouldn't focus too much on the Yorkshire game..who knows we may still stay up!

Only if we had got maximum points. Which we didn't.

200 to win. C'MON!!!!

No, we just had to match or beat Sussex's bonus points, which we did. The gamble against Yorks would've definitely been appropriate if we'd needed 2 wins, but clearly we didn't. Moreover a loss was worse than a draw, as we are now seeing. I think it all comes down to whether Yorks had a good chance of making the runs, or if we had a better chance of bowling them out. If the former it was a bad gamble, if the latter a good one. Bearing in mind Yorks are one of the best domestic teams ever I don't think it was a wise gamble, but clearly many disagree.

Anyway, the real screw up was the first innings against Somerset. If we'd got 4 more batting points there then Sussex would need to win tomorrow (assuming we do beat Notts), regardless of the Yorks defeat.

Barring a monumental cock-up Hants will win tomorrow. Yorks are 300 odd runs ahead with one wicket remaining, and the weather forecast for Headingley looks great for tomorrow.

Sussex must be nervous. I'd go out on a limb and say Hants are currently slight favourites to stay up. :scared:

Yep. I think it all rests on Yorkshire's bowling tomorrow. Sussex will not be chasing 300+, they will be batting for a draw.

On a slightly different - but certainly Hampshire related - note.

I heard that Robin Smith is not having a particularly good time of things.

His marriage broke up, he is living in Perth WA with his ageing parents, he has ballooned to around 20 stone and has had a drink problem.

I can only hope my source is wrong, but I suspect and fear his info is spot on,

If this is the case, then it is very sad for a batsman who gave us so much pleasure.

I think we would all like to wish The Judge the best of luck.

Suusex now 5 down. It's a little cloudy here in Nottingham but that's all so I can't see the weather saving Notts. This is not how I thought this day week would end, but hey ho sometimes it's good to be wrong (I know a couple of big partnerships could still save Sussex but it really doesn't look good fior them).

Carberry on the march! 18 off the last over, 9 needed

Got them, bizarrely enough Sussex despite being 5 down already seem to be chasing the target...why on earth would they do that ? I mean I know there's a few bob at stake but enough to risk getting relegated ? perhaps it just doesn't make any difference which division you play in in county cricket.

What a relief - great win under pressure at Trent Bridge and then the champions ripped Sussex's fragile top order apart. Nice to see a top order collapse to someone else for a change :-)

Interested in Weston's comment - wonder what the Yorks-Sussex bad blood is about?

Definately a busy winter for White and Daqle though, will need to be major surgery to the squad to stay up let alone do better next year with two giants coming up in Surrey and Lancs. No Worcs to be a banker for D1 bottom spot. Delighted at Fidel signing, loved him as a bowler ever since I watched him live in Barbados Test 2004.

What a relief - great win under pressure at Trent Bridge and then the champions ripped Sussex's fragile top order apart. Nice to see a top order collapse to someone else for a change :-)

Interested in Weston's comment - wonder what the Yorks-Sussex bad blood is about?

Definately a busy winter for White and Daqle though, will need to be major surgery to the squad to stay up let alone do better next year with two giants coming up in Surrey and Lancs. No Worcs to be a banker for D1 bottom spot. Delighted at Fidel signing, loved him as a bowler ever since I watched him live in Barbados Test 2004.

Interesting, who would you see needs to go and why?

We have Topley and Fidel Edwards signed up. Hopefully McLaren will sign soon.

Interesting, who would you see needs to go and why?

We have Topley and Fidel Edwards signed up. Hopefully McLaren will sign soon.

With Topley Edwards and McLaren just think we need a really good batter Avg 40+ to bat 3 or perhaps an opener with Carbs at 3