Post match traffic

danny91973

Anyone else have a terrible journey home last night? I live in Gloucester and I got back home gone 1.30am. Usually get home about 12 after mid week games. Overnight works on M27, A34, M4 and A419. Nearly fell asleep at wheel! Seriously thinking about giving the palace midweek game a miss.

Traffic is stupid in the City generally it doesn't seem set up to cope with 32k people on a Saturday (+shoppers, + ships) Oh the days of L1 games against Wycombe where I could wander out of the ground with no hassle and be home by 10 on very empty roads.....;)

That whole rail bridge thing does need sorting though, there were a few 'incidents' last night - and as the Away fans often walk above the stationary mass of home fans, you do realize that if they ever decide to do anything worse, then you simply are stuck.

Anyone else have a terrible journey home last night? I live in Gloucester and I got back home gone 1.30am. Usually get home about 12 after mid week games. Overnight works on M27, A34, M4 and A419. Nearly fell asleep at wheel! Seriously thinking about giving the palace midweek game a miss.

Same here, absolute nightmare. That was after terrible journey to the game in the first place (sounds like West Ham were caught up in the traffic as well). The M3 and M27 is just ridiculous, did they really need to start preparing for roadworks at around 10pm last night on a night when it was clear it was going to be very busy? Really beginning to wonder whether going to midweek game is worth it any more. Southampton also seems to have the worst traffic lights anywhere in the country.

Southampton also seems to have the worst traffic lights anywhere in the country.

Remember being told that is has more traffic lights per square km than any city in the country. Never checked if that's true but it definitely seems like it at times.

Traffic is stupid in the City generally it doesn't seem set up to cope with 32k people on a Saturday (+shoppers, + ships) Oh the days of L1 games against Wycombe where I could wander out of the ground with no hassle and be home by 10 on very empty roads.....;)

That whole rail bridge thing does need sorting though, there were a few 'incidents' last night - and as the Away fans often walk above the stationary mass of home fans, you do realize that if they ever decide to do anything worse, then you simply are stuck.

Generally bad traffic is caused by the queue getting into IKEA.... Whoever did that traffic modelling was either inept or paid off. To fail that badly is simply retarded. Most undergraduate traffic modellers could do a better job in 1st year.

M3 roadworks are carnage - so I nip up the back road through Chandler Ford and pick up the M3 at the top end of the road works and no traffic.

worked well again last night until the M3 was closed at J3 which caused minor chaos,

I supported my local team for twenty years; I still do, but have lived elsewhere for the last 30 years!

Why the cones have to be put out for roadworks at 10pm when there is no f ucker working really p isses me off. Could they not wait for an hour on match nights ??

I got home well past midnight. I just feel sorry for those of you who didn't make it home till after then.

As an aside but vaguely traffic related, where's the best place to park for an evening match? I'm determined to bring my daughter to a match under the floodlights but I guess West Quay shuts at some point in the evening?

East St multi. Then into the standing orders to nurse a pint for an hour while traffic dies down. Sorted.

As an aside but vaguely traffic related, where's the best place to park for an evening match? I'm determined to bring my daughter to a match under the floodlights but I guess West Quay shuts at some point in the evening?

Never had an issue around London road area. Always find a spot. Usually in the car park near the Alex pub

First of all, fair play to those guys travelling so far... Respect. Secondly I am ashamed to say I left on 90mins and got clean away over northern bridge and was home in waterlooville in 25 mins...

Because of all the road works, if you get caught with all the fans leaving at once, your stuffed..!

Living in N Kent football is an expensive and time consuming business so the extra £5 to park in one of many car parks within minutes of the ground hardly registers. It would cost the same if not more to park in a council car park 20 minutes away - College Road for example. My favourite is just through the underpass - £5, seems safe, nice bloke. No solution for the traffic though. On that note I never use the M3 any more. A3 is now quicker and much less boring.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

For a start for those travelling up to Chandlers Ford and the M3, why don't the city highways folk change the sequencing of the lights on The Avenue at the Burgess Road junction to let the traffic out; and change the lane direction to open up 3 lanes on The Avenue to the major flow in or out of the city (like the Aston Expressway) ?

I was back at home in Hedge End by 10:20pm, thanks to paying for car parking and heading out across the one-lane Northam Bridge quickly after the match, rather than parking at the wife's work near Oxford St for free and getting stuck behind all the traffic eventually headed up the Avenue, or out towards Millbrook. Saw the final whistle.

I think the worst journey time back to South Wales I had for a midweek match took me 3 hours (about 1am) when the A34 was operating a rolling roadblock at 10mph for about 10 miles.

It was one of the occasions I was glad I moved a lot more locally. We also managed to get up the walkway before it got silly for a change, thanks to being in the Northam.

There are a LOT of roadworks in the area starting next week though.

Was bad in all directions last night traffic lights playing up on Manbatten way last night then down to one lane on m271 almost doubled time of my journey back to Salisbury last night

Apart from a bit of a snarl up at the traffic lights jct mountbatten way/westquay rd I had no trouble going west. I live locally and avoid the M271 and M27 Jct 3. You will find it a lot easier if you take the A36 through Totton to Ower. Either take the old road or switch to the A326 to cross over the M27 at Ower at the mini roundabout just before Ower.

Edited by derry

For a start for those travelling up to Chandlers Ford and the M3, why don't the city highways folk change the sequencing of the lights on The Avenue at the Burgess Road junction to let the traffic out; and change the lane direction to open up 3 lanes on The Avenue to the major flow in or out of the city (like the Aston Expressway) ?

Guessing it's because the Winchester Road roundabout forces it all back into 2 lanes again, thus defeating the object.

Bigger picture is that we need the free bus tickets reinstated and someone to get their finger out to ensure there's actually public transport going where people want to go in the City after about 6pm. It is literally impossible for me to get a bus home from an evening match, and the route runs past my house and the top of Britannia Road.

Guessing it's because the Winchester Road roundabout forces it all back into 2 lanes again, thus defeating the object.

Bigger picture is that we need the free bus tickets reinstated and someone to get their finger out to ensure there's actually public transport going where people want to go in the City after about 6pm. It is literally impossible for me to get a bus home from an evening match, and the route runs past my house and the top of Britannia Road.

Southampton needs to sort its public tansport out. Lots of developments in the city centre, big student developments etc, just too slow getting about the city.

Normally park in the common car park, just down from the Cowherds - normally means its easy getting out, however not on Weds!!

Living in N Kent football is an expensive and time consuming business so the extra £5 to park in one of many car parks within minutes of the ground hardly registers. It would cost the same if not more to park in a council car park 20 minutes away - College Road for example. My favourite is just through the underpass - £5, seems safe, nice bloke. No solution for the traffic though. On that note I never use the M3 any more. A3 is now quicker and much less boring.

Sent from my GT-I9300 using Forum Fiend v1.3.1.

Yup, live in Sevenoaks area and have pretty much given up with the M3. A3/M27 all the way

Southampton is bloody poor on transport, but similar problems exist up and down the country. Too much demand for the available capacity. Southampton is certainly not helped by the poor public transport system; many have seen the light and know that as bad as the traffic can be, the car is still usually going to be their best option. Bus companies don't give a f**k. The train routes are poorly laid out and cause too much disruption to other, important parts of the city (as anyone that has been near the level crossing near the Farmhouse will attest).

Southampton may only have a quarter of a million people living within the city limits, but it's part of a sprawling conurbation of 1.5m people. Those numbers rise to 2m if you include the Isle of Wight and New Forest. The council have decided that the car is the answer, but in a setup like ours, where so much of the traffic comes from outside the city, think an organisation at a metro level is best suited to determine transport provisioning.

The whole area needs major investment in transport infrastructure, and I'd sooner see the money spent on major projects, such as a metro system and tunnels to places like Hythe and the Isle of Wight, schemes to keep traffic off of the roads - than more roads. Demand is something that should be welcomed and catered for, not a major cause of hassle.

I travel from Didcot (A34, M3) and because driving into and out of Southampton is such a pain I park at Winchester Station (£2 at weekends and evenings) and then catch the train in.

Overall cost is no greater than driving to Southampton and parking, unless of course you have a car full.

On Wednesday I was back in my car by 22:20 and home by 23:00.

Apart from a bit of a snarl up at the traffic lights jct mountbatten way/westquay rd I had no trouble going west. I live locally and avoid the M271 and M27 Jct 2. You will find it a lot easier if you take the A36 through Totton to Ower. Either take the old road or switch to the A326 to cross over the M27 at Ower at the mini roundabout just before Ower.

that's the route I normally take on the way home from work, but normally M271 after evening games is Ok, but this weds it was down to one lane after Lordshill which just added to problems, will go via Totton for Palace game