Liverpool Build Up Thread

Wiggles31

Can't see a thread that has been done.

Huge huge huge game. Need a win for the top 4 push. They are 4 points behind now and hitting some good form. Should be an open game.

A decent break for the players and should be a near fully fit side. Toby and Morgan back in for sure. Would maybe start Tadic and JWP for Elia and Reed.

Need to improve drastically in our final third.

Can see this game having goals both ends. Liverpool have two games before this game which is good.

Massive game, for both maintaining our league position and our moral high ground. I doubt too many of us could stomach the team that did the most to try and ruin us in the summer beating us on our own patch. I have an awful feeling Lallana is going to score and then not celebrate out of so-called respect, just to put us fans in an awkward position.

"You're not one of us, you're not one of uuuus, f*ck off Lallana, you're not one of us".

And to YNWA...

Lovren, Lovren

You're a c*nt, you're a c*nt,

and you're always be a c*nt...

etc.

If Lovren doesn't play, which he probably won't …

Why my daddy no play?

Why my daddy no play?

Dejan Lovren

Dejan Lovren

Why my daddy no play?

Print that tweet of his daughter watching the Real Madrid match to go along with it as a banner.

Can't see a thread that has been done.

Huge huge huge game. Need a win for the top 4 push. They are 4 points behind now and hitting some good form. Should be an open game.

A decent break for the players and should be a near fully fit side. Toby and Morgan back in for sure. Would maybe start Tadic and JWP for Elia and Reed.

Need to improve drastically in our final third.

Can see this game having goals both ends. Liverpool have two games before this game which is good.

Why ward prowse for reed? Reeds form much better tbh. Morgan will come in for reed.

Goes without saying - massive game and I'd absolutely love to win this. They've hit some good form and do look a threat going forward. Got to be a cracking atmosphere for this one, the crowd can make that little bit of difference.

On the basis that Targett is back, the back 5 pick themselves. Bertrand is still a big miss for us though.

Wanyama and Schneiderlin definitely play, as does Pelle and Mane upfront. The rest is hard to call. Davis/Elia/Tadic/JWP into two positions - you could make an argument for any of them.

Making favourable assumptions on injuries, my team would be....

Forster

Clyne - Fonte - Alderweireld - Targett

Davis - Wanyama - Schneiderlin

Mane - F. Djuričić

Pelle

Subs: K. Davis, Yoshida, Gardos, Reed, JWP, Tadic, Elia

Elia for Djuricic and I'd agree with the rest.

Be really gut wrenching if we lost this game not just because of the recent history between the clubs but the fact we should be far fresher than them given their fixture schedule. Rodgers hasnt changed his line up much at all of late, generally picks from the same 13/14 players to start plus they have two games coming up before they play us. They play Besiktas at home on the Thursday. The key is having Toby back to help deal with Liverpool's pace in attack. On the flip side there defense is very static and slow so likes of Mane, Elia and Djuričić can exploit that. Morgan and Vic should be able to dominate the midfield.

Liverpool with 2 legs of Besiktas Europa league tie sandwiching this game. Hope that tires them out / takes some of their focus off of this one.

Did Gerrard not pick up an injury v Spurs? Could be missing or rested to focus on cup games.

They're better without old man Gerrard anyway, so not really good news.

Liverpool have 2 games before we play them, this will be a factor - given that Gerrard and Lucas are also out, so they can't rotate as they'd have liked to.

It's a game I've looked forward to for weeks. I really sense a good thing about this match, I reckon we'll be totally up for this. Liverpool are good going forward but suspect, as we all know, at the back. Lucas has been a key reason in their return to 'defensive solidity' (as well as the dropping of Lovren :lol: ) - so it was no surprise to see Spurs look so lively against them.

I think Emre Can will drop into midfield, almost guaranteed, with one of Kolo Toure or Lovren coming into the 'back 3'. Jordan Ibe will probably continue as a wing back, and although he's talented, we've got players with more experience who can hopefully give him a very nervy night. Let's keep him and Moreno occupied defensively, and we will have nullified a lot of their attacking threat and pace.

What annoys me about the media is how Liverpool are always revolutionary, always amazing. They had an horrific start to the season, they've picked up since they've had a run of what you'd call ''easier games'' and surprise surprise, Brendan Rogers is being called a tactical genius for stumbling over a formation. Just like he was this revolutionist last season or something. No, he just had Luis Suarez.

They're a decent enough side and a threat, but this will be their toughest away day for a good while. I'm confident.

Gerrard having a hamstring scan, Lucas is out for months.

Their 3 at the back is the system our wide men is designed to take apart, and with Schneiderlin and Alderweireld hopefully back, we should be solid against their re-Sturridge'd up attack. Sod's law that we're going to be pretty much the only team he plays against twice in the League this season, but left back, Long and Rodriguez (and Mayuka :)) aside we should be back to full strength. May even have a striker who has scored in the Prem before on the bench now Gallagher's getting Dev Squad games.

I think we'll pick Yoshida at left back, not sure Targett's got enough experience for this one yet.

Their 3 at the back is the system our wide men is designed to take apart, and with Schneiderlin and Alderweireld hopefully back, we should be solid against their re-Sturridge'd up attack. Sod's law that we're going to be pretty much the only team he plays against twice in the League this season, but left back, Long and Rodriguez (and Mayuka :)) aside we should be back to full strength. May even have a striker who has scored in the Prem before on the bench now Gallagher's getting Dev Squad games.

I think we'll pick Yoshida at left back, not sure Targett's got enough experience for this one yet.

Targett played at home to Chelsea already, I'd expect him to be the first choice ahead of Yoshida if fully recovered.

We lacked serious balance on the left side with Yoshida there. Although he did a good shift, our 'style' requires the full backs to get involved in the attacking area's. Yoshida was required to do that and it didn't really work, what with the additional requirement for Elia to provide slightly more protection due to his lack of pace. We did miss a natrual left back there, totally. I think we'd have looked a lot more fluid with Bretrand.

We lacked serious balance on the left side with Yoshida there. Although he did a good shift, our 'style' requires the full backs to get involved in the attacking area's. Yoshida was required to do that and it didn't really work, what with the additional requirement for Elia to provide slightly more protection due to his lack of pace. We did miss a natrual left back there, totally. I think we'd have looked a lot more fluid with Bretrand.
Yep, while Yoshida has done all that he has been asked defensively on the left, we really miss the offensive threat and creativity that Bertrand can provides in the LB role.

Don't take this as an insult to Yoshida. He has exceed my expectations this season and been an outstanding team player.

I'd go for

Forster

Clyne, Fonte, Yoshida, Targett

Morgan Vic

Davis

Tadic Mane

Pelle

Subs

Davis, Toby, JWP, Elia, Reed, Djurcic, Gardos

The Toby/Yoshida is the only one i'm really 50/50 on, just cause Yoshida's played well and Toby's been out for a while.

After the way we've played in recent week's i'm not particularly confident. Just hoping we can step back up and expose the weaknesses in the Liverpool team, that are there to be exploited.

Not a terribly high standard, but Djuricic looked good on the ball in the U21 game yesterday. A couple of times he weaved around a defender in close quarters, creating overloads, which neither Davis nor JWP have the ability to do. Obviously that's a riskier manoeuvre than checking back and recycling it through the CBs, but as Scholes' said in his assessment of Man U on the BBC website today, if you don't risk the ball in attack, you don't score a lot of goals.

I will love it if we beat them, love it!

I will love it too. I think we have a good chance but we are not currently firing on all cylinders and the last two home games have been hugely disappointing in terms of our inability to shoot at the goal! I feel very nervous about it but hope to be celebrating wildly at SMS on 22 February.

Pelle is bound to score again somewhen, simple.

Exactly. Every game without a goal is a game closer to him scoring again.

I realise optimism is bad form and frowned upon on Saintsweb so my apologies in advance.

Edited by AdrianC

Yep, while Yoshida has done all that he has been asked defensively on the left, we really miss the offensive threat and creativity that Bertrand can provides in the LB role.

Don't take this as an insult to Yoshida. He has exceed my expectations this season and been an outstanding team player.

Agree with this, though young Targett doesn't get forward that much (yet) either. Elia has to start on the left to provide the speed and offensive threat.

There seems to be a complete obsession with playing Pelle on here...

Unless the coaches seriously get at him to change the lazy, predictable way he plays with back to goal standing right in front of his marker like a statue where he offers no threat... He needs to be told to change the way he plays. He has to FACE the opponents goal and make runs dragging the defence around. Our coaches need to be analysing the players and games much more thoroughly.

IF we allow this style of his to continue the least we can do is get our players around him when the ball is humped to him with the regularity it is!

Fluidity is lacking with the current 'system' and Pelle is a large part of the issue.... I hope we see something a lot different against Liverpool and the coaches start working out what is happening....

If Pelle is not doing as he is told or can't then we might as well play with a smaller more mobile player there who can face the direction of play, create space and lose their marker....

Unless the coaches seriously get at him to change the lazy, predictable way he plays with back to goal standing right in front of his marker like a statue where he offers no threat... He needs to be told to change the way he plays. He has to FACE the opponents goal and make runs dragging the defence around. Our coaches need to be analysing the players and games much more thoroughly.

IF we allow this style of his to continue the least we can do is get our players around him when the ball is humped to him with the regularity it is!

Fluidity is lacking with the current 'system' and Pelle is a large part of the issue.... I hope we see something a lot different against Liverpool and the coaches start working out what is happening....

If Pelle is not doing as he is told or can't then we might as well play with a smaller more mobile player there who can face the direction of play, create space and lose their marker....

I think a pretty static pelle will be easy pickings for sakho/skrtel

What a crock of ****. Completely abandoning the system (which has us sitting 4th in February) for one that we have never played before in one of the biggest games of our season doesn't strike me as a sensible option. But, you know, if Pelle's not scoring he must be ****, right?

Although losing this game won't be the disaster many on here will make out, it is clearly a massive game. Aside from the league position/ex-player issue the biggest motivation for wanting to do them for me is their **** of a manager and his 'no sympathy' comments about us last summer.

Yoshida set up the winner at QPR.