The Order 1886

St Marco

Don't believe the negativity surrounding this, if you liked other cinematic story-driven games like Uncharted or The Last of Us you'll probably like this!

Took me 9 and a half hours to finish it so no idea where the critics have got 5 from, I really don't.

Not a bad game at all, give it a go for yourselves then flog it on eBay when you're done.

I managed to play it at my neighbours house earlier. One of the biggest piles of **** I have ever seen.

Have no idea how you can put it in the same group with Uncharted and Last of Us as they are nothing like each other at all. Those two games are masterpieces that combine great story telling with great gameplay. This game on the other hand is nothing more then a game with long boring cut scenes and very little actual gameplay. And when you do actually get to be in control of the character you are not doing much at all. You hide, shoot a few stupid AI guys rinse and repeat. It is up there with the most linear games I have ever played and deserves the poor reviews it has got. If you are into watching cartoon style films then go for it as you may like it. But for £40-£50 it is nowhere near worthy of that price tag.

I 100% agree with this article on it http://www.theguardian.com/technology/2015/feb/23/is-the-order-1886-steampunk-shooter-games-console it was designed to show you how pretty awesome games this gen can look. That was it. It looks awesome, but there is little to no actual game there. And rightly so the dev/sony and the 'game' are getting panned for it.

Did you finish it, Marco, or just play an hour or two?

TLOU and Uncharted were also linear, cinematic story-driven experiences, they also contain multiple QTEs and a huge amount of cut-scenes which is where I drew the comparison from, admittedly maybe the cut-scenes and QTEs aren't so entwined in TLOU and Uncharted and those games a quite a lot longer, but that's the kind of game Ready at Dawn aimed to create, and noted TLOU as one of their inspirations to create The Order 1886.

I enjoy watching serious, deep, meaningful Oscar films, absolutely detest cartoons coincidentally :p I didn't find the cut-scenes boring at all, I love a game with a decent story, TO1886 had one and I enjoyed it thoroughly so didn't find the cut-scenes boring whatsoever, quite the contrary actually, I found them incredibly compelling. The cover shooting sections are the games worst part in my mind but they're no worse than the cover-shooting mechanic in the Uncharted series to me, slightly brightened up by the Arc Cannon and Thermite Rifle in parts.

The game is a tad too short but nothing like the 5 hours people are speculating, it took me 9 hours, as mentioned previously, if you pay £47 for it and sell it for £37 on ebay the game has effectively cost you £10, and that's fine by me.

You complain about it being linear, but what did you expect? The game Ready at Dawn set out to create was a linear, cinematic, story-driven experience, if you were expecting Grand Theft Auto: Victorian London 1886 then its no wonder you found TO1886 linear :lol:

It didn't resonate with you obviously, Marco, in the short time you spent with the game, but there are a lot of gamers that like a cinematic story driven game, that don't mind QTEs and cut-scenes one iota, if they're used to create a cohesive, believable, atmospheric, insidious world of intrigue and mystery then I'm fine with that.

Also, anyone can find a negative article about TO1886, there's plenty out there! So here's a positive Video Review for everyone to peruse over:

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/...r--1886-review

Edited by BlakeySFC

I read the reviews of this game, most were extremely positive, but many also said it's very short and has no replay value. That's enough to turn me away from it.

I am currently playing The Last Of Us, the updated PS4 version and it's okay, but not the masterpiece many claim. I find it a little slow and it hasn't hooked me in like Skyrim and Destiny did.

I read the reviews of this game, most were extremely positive, but many also said it's very short and has no replay value. That's enough to turn me away from it.

I am currently playing The Last Of Us, the updated PS4 version and it's okay, but not the masterpiece many claim. I find it a little slow and it hasn't hooked me in like Skyrim and Destiny did.

Disagree. The last of us is an incredible game.

Just shows how subjective these things are. I couldn't get into Skyrim or Destiny at all, yet The Last Of Us is for me a total masterpiece, a superb balance between a cinematic atmospheric story and a game.... which I think may be the crux of it.

If you have the time to sink into a discipline where skill and ability is core to gaining enjoyment then something like TLOU or possibly (I havn't played it yet, but tempted to get The Order 1886 the more I read about it) TO1886 would not be right, but if you only have a few hours in an evening an want to become engrossed in something spectacular without needing to master a control scheme then they could be ideal.

There is no right answer, it's clearly a matter of what you specifically want from a 'game.'

Is 'Game' a too limited description for these things now?

Pay £47 for it, sell it for £37 on eBay, game has effectively cost you £10, it's a shame all the negativity surrounding it has put you off, I tend to ignore the Media and decide for myself whether a game is good or not, but I guess if you don't like TLOU (one of the greatest games of all time) then TO1886 may not be your cup of tea anyway.

I love Skyrim and Destiny, but TLOU is a completely different game. Skyrim and Destiny are the Michael Bay blockbusters of this world, TLOU is a thought-provoking, deep, meaningful, emotional, Oscar film, if you don't like cinematic, emotional, meaningful, deep games and just want your games to be fun, frantic and full of action then TLOU won't be your cup of tea I guess, if you're early on in TLOU I'd urge you stick with it until the very end and you may change your mind.

Thanks guys. I'm just at the bit where they're going across town to find parts to get the car going. I don't think it's a bad game, in many ways it reminds me of the most recent Tomb Raider game, maybe the slower pace doesn't suit me, or maybe it will hook me in. I will complete it though. I didn't get hooked on Destiny until I was near the end of the storyline

As for The Order, I'll probably wait until the price drops and reconsider.

Thanks guys. I'm just at the bit where they're going across town to find parts to get the car going.

Still a long way to go, it gets better as it goes on. Have you come across the first Bloater yet? Molotovs are your friend! Stick with it, you won't be disappointed.

• 2 months later...

Well I stuck with it, and it took me a long time, but I finally began to understand how to develop my weapons and I've actually restarted the game to see if I missed anything. I think I'd got about halfway through, in fact I got as far as "Winter" where you kill the deer. It is a very good game.