"Stonewall"

benjii

The spelling is actually 'stoanwool', where a well was thought to be be dry 'stoan' it would be left in the hope of reactivating, if spider webs started to form to a great degree at the bottom of the well then they would be certain that there is no water trickling through it, this mass of webs was known as 'stoanwool'. It was a clear and certain sign that the well was dead, for now anyway.

you are a QI researcher. no doubt

Does it make a difference if the "stonewall" penalty, they're talikng about is "early doors" or not ?

Another phrase that pundits have given to the vocabulary is "doable" .

The one that does my head in is when a team "sets their stall out". I can just see Luis Van Gaal's millionaires neatly laying their tables in order to ensure early dominance of possession...

Early doors is the worst, how can a door be bloody early? Why do people (Michael Owen especially) say he's been given the opportunity to go down. It's encouraging players to cheat as if it's something we should accept as part of the game.

Why are Footballers quicker than partners to go down?

The one that does my head in is when a team "sets their stall out". I can just see Luis Van Gaal's millionaires neatly laying their tables in order to ensure early dominance of possession...

It's a cliche, but at least it's a logical phrase (based on "setting out your stall" being the first thing you do in preparation for a day's work, if you happen to be a market trader) AND it isn't misusing or misrepresenting existing terminology. I'm happy enough about that one.

Early doors.

A corruption of "early days", and yes, blame Ron Atkinson, he started it and far too many people picked it up (albeit some of them using it ironically to represent hakneyed manager-speak).

"Over the moon" (Brian) seems to have been passe for about 30 years now having peaked in the late 70s, I wonder if the loss of Brian Moore from our screens had any effect, if it was that the phrase had become a cliche, or if it was the wider repeating of Monty Python in the early 80s giving a wider audience to the footballer sketch (which I'm hoping someone can link)?

Why do people (Michael Owen especially) say he's been given the opportunity to go down. It's encouraging players to cheat as if it's something we should accept as part of the game.

It is something we should accept as part of the game for as long as referees refuse to give certain types of fouls unless someone falls over.

Pull back on the shoulder, free-kick/penalty, it's a foul. There's no need for anyone to have to fall on the floor, AS IT'S ALREADY A FOUL, KEVIN FRIEND.

Why do pundits, and now plenty of punters, use this word to mean, "clear" or "definite"? That's not what it means.

Thick budgies. Might as well say, " it's an absolute spazz-wham of a penalty. Completely hole-crust, Jeff!"

Truth is 'stonewall' doesn't mean anything except that if you live on the moors and you want to stop sheep wandering.

A corruption of "early days", and yes, blame Ron Atkinson, he started it and far too many people picked it up (albeit some of them using it ironically to represent hakneyed manager-speak).

Myth. The phrase "early doors" pre-dates even Big Ron's birth, it was used to refer to the times when theatre doors were opened for the plebs to get unbooked seats, and is known to have been used in 1902 (http://www.telegraph.co.uk/sport/football/2295032/Big-Ron-too-late-for-early-doors.html)

It is something we should accept as part of the game for as long as referees refuse to give certain types of fouls unless someone falls over.

Pull back on the shoulder, free-kick/penalty, it's a foul. There's no need for anyone to have to fall on the floor, AS IT'S ALREADY A FOUL, KEVIN FRIEND.

But why do ex players and commentators criticise players for cheating then promote opportunities to cheat their way to unwarranted penalties and free kicks. They should know better and we will never rid the game of cheating until they stop making excuses for it. Lengthy bans should be enforced to stamp it out and stop making the players think they can get away with it