Post-Match Reaction: SAINTS 0-2 Liverpool

Saint-Armstrong

Followed the game here in Nicaragua so not very detailed but seemed the same story as other recent games, no potency in front of goal. Feels like collective loss of confidence - Pelle, Mane, Elia should be able to put the ball in the net between them.

Can't understand why we didn't get a striker in Jan. Assume no-one available so they hoped JRod might be back, or Gallagher (what is going on there?). Losing Long just made things worse.

Still hope something will click and once a goal or two goes in the floodgates might open.

Too many things not working at the moment. I have no confidence that we're going to benefit from corners or free kicks in advanced position. Passing has been frequently heavy, consistently for the last few games. These are all chances gone begging. Perfection is a bit much to ask for, but seems to be a lot of careless play in the final third.

Convinced it's a confidence thing; our players have all the attributes to score goals,. I'm not sure that there has been a problem tactically; we're in dangerous areas almost all game. Poor technique is letting us down, and it's not like these players lack the technical ability. They are just not firing right now. Tadic failing to beat the first man at corners, wingers skinning full backs but deciding to pass it back to someone in a much less dangerous position instead of having a go at the last man. JWP's deadly set piece deliveries leading to nowt.

That's not to say there aren't genuine problems that can't be addressed with confidence. We have no set piece free kick taker that looks capable of bagging us some goals from those opportunities. Instant game changer, and we don't have it. We also need another out and out striker. Pelle's carrying too much of a load atm.

We simply do not have enough creativity, guile, or inventiveness to break down teams who come looking not to lose the match rather than to win it. After coming not to lose but scoring a worldy early on Liverpool just closed ranks and watched the 3 points roll in. Notwithstanding all that the ref was some kind of indescribable form of C U N T. Good night.

Would have gone with 3 at the back myself, for me Targett isn't ready for this sort of game. Nothing going forward, dubious defensively. With a back 3 we could have started Victor,Morgan and Steve Davis without losing ant forward options. Pelle is shot, just a jumbo waste of space, especially with players like Skrtel on the opposing side.

Edited by Window Cleaner

The problem started with the starting line up. Gardos should have started with Yoshida at left back and perhaps they wouldn't have got the early lead. Ward Prowse should not have started. Even he's lost it and wasting one free kick and corner after corner. Mané would have done better starting and Long should have been involved in the second half.

So Ron, the more the team becomes your creation the worse we're becoming. If things don't improve when Toby returns I can't see us finishing better than last season.

Pelle has been found out, and we'd do better playing the likes of Mané, Elia or Djuricic up front and Long and Pelle out on the wing./

Ref was a ****, but we can groan and moan about him all day long the fact is that once again, we were crap in the final third.

Going to watch us has felt a chore lately, long balls up to Pelle for him to knock down to nobody, and no one taking the responsibility to shoot when in sight of goal. With respect to Koeman he felt Mane deserved to be dropped to the bench for turning up late, but IMO it was a completely wrong choice to start JWP, who once again offered nothing.

We really need to look at a new system now, as opponents are wise to how we play and we just don't look like scoring.

Edited by bpsaint

Unless Mane was carrying a knock I can't understand why he was on the bench. We are struggling for goals and he has 4 in his past 5 Prem appearances. Also, I'm afraid Ward Prowse in midfield left us carrying a passenger who contributed nothing other than his over-hyped dead ball delivery. Would have started Harry Reed alongside Victor with Davis (who struggled playing in a deeper role) further forward. Think we missed a trick today as Liverpool were poor apart from the brilliant strike from Coutinho. Fonte and Yoshi were outstanding and if Morgan was fit he should have started. Had we started with Mane and Morgan it would have given us more options such as bringing on Shane Long who would have caused them problems with his constant chasing. Djuricic looked promising and made some intelligent runs. Ref was appalling and Allen's trip on Djuricic was a clear penalty. Not our day but we are still in the mix so on to West Brom where we'll need to win.

Watched the game on tv alongside a liverpool fan, which didn't make for pleasant viewing.

Poor play by midfield giving Coutinho time and space, for his wonder strike. Really couldn't afford to give them a lead to sit upon.

Ref had a poor game, unwilling to make tough decisions. First penalty i could sort of understand him giving the benefit of the doubt but the 2nd one where Allen cleaned djokovic was inexcusable.

Made worse by the lino being unable to keep up with play and spot Mignolet handling outside the area later.

2nd half reminded me of Swansea game where we ran out of ideas.

2nd goal was very poor from Targett and Forster could have done better too.

Really need to regroup and get a win next weekend or dream could be well and truly dead.

The problem started with the starting line up. Gardos should have started with Yoshida at left back and perhaps they wouldn't have got the early lead. Ward Prowse should not have started. Even he's lost it and wasting one free kick and corner after corner. Mané would have done better starting and Long should have been involved in the second half.

So Ron, the more the team becomes your creation the worse we're becoming. If things don't improve when Toby returns I can't see us finishing better than last season.

Pelle has been found out, and we'd do better playing the likes of Mané, Elia or Djuricic up front and Long and Pelle out on the wing./

Blimey Art I think i agree

Feel really low after that one. Now is not the time to forget how to score goals. How can a team that won 8-0 earlier in the season look so absolutely toothless going forward?

Much changed side though isn't it ? Only 5 players that started that game started today. Forster,Clyne,Fonte,Pelle,Davis.

We've gone total Dutch since then.

The next game is the perfect opportunity to drop Pelle and try and give him a kick up the ass, Long against his former side.

Elia - Long - Mane

Tadic

Schneiderlin - Wanyama

Bertrand - Alderweireld - Fonte - Clyne

Forster

Davis, Gardos, Targett, Reed, JWP, Djuricic, Pelle

Agreed. We should beat WBA with that team. Also, the team need to loosen up and enjoy things a bit more. Can't help that they have buckled being in the top 4 and the prerssure should be off now.

I expect a mixed bag of results as we become a more open and relaxed side. Think we will finish 8th or 9th, which is an amazing achievement !

Yoshida MOTM for me. Fonte also good. Mane lively when he came on. Brenda got her tactics spot on and Ron did not; even our starting line-up selection was puzzling. The performance deserved nothing better than a defeat, unfortunately. We need to start scoring again otherwise our season will just fizzle out, like it did last year. The approach play is as clever as it always was but we're too shy of taking shots at goal.

On a different subject, we seem to have several divers in our team now; I don't like it. It's unsporting and does us no favours. The dive for the first penalty appeal might well have influenced the ref not to give the second to us.

Yoshida MOTM for me. Fonte also good. Mane lively when he came on. Brenda got her tactics spot on and Ron did not; even our starting line-up selection was puzzling. The performance deserved nothing better than a defeat, unfortunately. We need to start scoring again otherwise our season will just fizzle out, like it did last year. The approach play is as clever as it always was but we're too shy of taking shots at goal.

On a different subject, we seem to have several divers in our team now; I don't like it. It's unsporting and does us no favours. The dive for the first penalty appeal might well have influenced the ref not to give the second to us.

The first was not a dive per say, he was ahead of the defender who put his hand on our forwards shoulder. The pundits say if a player feels contact they have the right to go down, look at Kane today and many other games where it happens. Yes it is not the way I would play but we have to compete in all areas. I would not like our players to dive like Rooney did the other night but I saw a journalist arguing that he was right, and it was indeed a penalty even though no contact was made.

it was a penalty in the modern game

Blimey Art I think i agree

You'd play Pelle on the wing?

We could have played all night and not scored. Apart from the comedy second goal, we defended well today but up front we were poor.

For those slating Targett, I thought he was having a good game up until the 2nd goal. Think his head went a bit after that.

For those slating Koeman, come on. Really?

For those slating the ref, Yep. He was a useless steaming pile of turd. Bottled the early penalty decision and got steadily worse. I think he is up there competing with Jon Moss for the incompetence award.

Wet, miserable walk home.

You'd play Pelle on the wing?

We could have played all night and not scored. Apart from the comedy second goal, we defended well today but up front we were poor.

For those slating Targett, I thought he was having a good game up until the 2nd goal. Think his head went a bit after that.

For those slating Koeman, come on. Really?

For those slating the ref, Yep. He was a useless steaming pile of turd. Bottled the early penalty decision and got steadily worse. I think he is up there competing with Jon Moss for the incompetence award.

Wet, miserable walk home.

I mentioned Targett in my post, not criticising his game but he has now slipped up twice in 2 important games in vital areas. The first against Chelsea when it could have been a penalty and the 2 nd time today.He needs to consider what studs he is using

If we take away the ref decisions (which were so bad) I don't think we deserved to lose that game at all. We played very well in the first 20mins or so. The problem was after that we became so predictable and had no penetrating threat at all.

Pelle is going to get stick but I don't remember seeing any service to him at all. He had one chance that he created himself and shot wide. Most passes to him were high in the air with nobody ahead of him to flick onto. Or way ahead of him where he obviously is not going to get to due to lack of pace.

When we had the chance to actually get people forward with set pieces JWP ****ed them up. This is the second game in a row where I have seen players giving him stick for poor deliveries. Fonte screamed at him with that cross that was 50ft in the air and went out of play.

We need to create more chances but we also need to stop being scared of shooting, especially from distance. Look at their 1st goal, what a quality goal. Sure it could of gone horribly wide but if you don't shoot you don't score. All our shots on target were tame and easy for their keeper. That has been the story of our games the last month or so.

Rather then take a risk we kick the ball back to half way and sometimes back to Fraser to punt up field. Which always drives me mad as what's the point of that? If you are outside their box try a cross, a pass into the box. If it doesn't come off then fine, but going back to the keeper to punt up also has the chance of losing the ball, but in an area closer to our goal than theirs.

When JWP came off and Mane came on we looked a lot better. We tried to get forward and create something. He won a few dangerous FK's which Tadic was unlucky with I felt. On another day that might take a slight deflection and go into the corner. But if you don't get it on target you have no chance of scoring.

Summing up I think we need to be more brave going forward, we set up too defensive at times. JWP is not good enough to be in the starting line up and Pelle needs someone ahead of him.

For the next game I would go

-------------Forster----------

Clyne---Fonte--Gardos---Bertrand

-------------------------------------

--------------Morgan--------------

--------Tadic----------------------

Elia-------------Pelle---------Mane--

----------Djuricic-----------------

The worst ref I have ever seen.

We need Davis to play in his best position, he makes the team tick.

Djuricic and Elia are just not good enough.

Yet again we are suffering from not getting backup for Pelle in the transfer window. Our lack of ambition has maybe cost us a CL place.

If we take away the ref decisions (which were so bad) I don't think we deserved to lose that game at all. We played very well in the first 20mins or so. The problem was after that we became so predictable and had no penetrating threat at all.

Pelle is going to get stick but I don't remember seeing any service to him at all. He had one chance that he created himself and shot wide. Most passes to him were high in the air with nobody ahead of him to flick onto. Or way ahead of him where he obviously is not going to get to due to lack of pace.

When we had the chance to actually get people forward with set pieces JWP ****ed them up. This is the second game in a row where I have seen players giving him stick for poor deliveries. Fonte screamed at him with that cross that was 50ft in the air and went out of play.

We need to create more chances but we also need to stop being scared of shooting, especially from distance. Look at their 1st goal, what a quality goal. Sure it could of gone horribly wide but if you don't shoot you don't score. All our shots on target were tame and easy for their keeper. That has been the story of our games the last month or so.

Rather then take a risk we kick the ball back to half way and sometimes back to Fraser to punt up field. Which always drives me mad as what's the point of that? If you are outside their box try a cross, a pass into the box. If it doesn't come off then fine, but going back to the keeper to punt up also has the chance of losing the ball, but in an area closer to our goal than theirs.

When JWP came off and Mane came on we looked a lot better. We tried to get forward and create something. He won a few dangerous FK's which Tadic was unlucky with I felt. On another day that might take a slight deflection and go into the corner. But if you don't get it on target you have no chance of scoring.

Summing up I think we need to be more brave going forward, we set up too defensive at times. JWP is not good enough to be in the starting line up and Pelle needs someone ahead of him.

For the next game I would go

-------------Forster----------

Clyne---Fonte--Gardos---Bertrand

-------------------------------------

--------------Morgan--------------

--------Tadic----------------------

Elia-------------Pelle---------Mane--

----------Djuricic-----------------

And drop Wanyama?:shakey:

Targett sadly isn't good enough at the moment, feel a bit for him slipping for the 2nd goal. First goal was class - no keeper in the world would have stopped that.

we just look so abject going forward, 3 home league games without scoring, not enough support coming from midfield.

New guy looked decent, as did Clyne.

Anyone who genuinely believes we can make the CL needs to see a doctor.

Come on no need to focus in one mistake. Taggart has a very good game except for the slip for the second yet again Forster should have saved!

Our problems lie with Forster and My back to goal, make no runs Pelle....!

Drop Pelle and get someone in there who will make runs in behind and FACE their goal ! Pelle is lazy, predictable and doesn't attack the ball in crosses... He must be dropped !

Yeah - we'd have massively overpaid for the likes of Austin or Ings in the January window, but sometimes you have to speculate to accumulate - either one could have pushed us on into the top four. Long way to go, but it feels realistically like that's gone now.

What else?

- Why are we turning into Arsenal - a squad packed with attacking midfielders who want to walk the ball into the net? Shoot, for ****'s sake, shoot. Just occasionally.

- Rodgers is an A class cvnt and it's really ****ing annoying to lose twice this season to Liverhampton. But at least Lovren looked sh1te.

- Roll on the next game - and knowing this team we'll probably go and win at Chelsea too.

- Still hoping for 5th but not sure we'll finish above 2 out of Manure, Spuds, and Pool.

- Also means Morgan and Clyney will probably get prised away this summer - more rebuilding to come.

- Still remember where we were a few years ago though.

COYR

Deserved at least a point, got nothing.

I hope all the half and half scarf twa*s who left on 80 minutes enjoyed their day out although they at least saw more of the game than the 2 Liverpool fans who were chucked out from the Chapel after celebating their first goal.